Is it customary to give other motorhomers a wave when driving (1 Viewer)

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
We actually end up laughing a lot, either at me enthusiastically waving only to get a look like I’ve just shit in the sandwich box, or at the grumpy people who were entirely going to ignore but feeble wave almost in guilt at my enthusiastic dimwit wave
Either way, it keeps us amused
We usually raise a cheer when we meet a non grumpy waver who beats me to it
Being an ex biker and now a 1969 beetle convertible driver, I’m used to waving to likeminded souls and chuckling at miseries

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Well The Beast is a PVC and its black so looks like a prison van ? so not surprisingly I don't get any waves.:rofl:

You could actually get into a lot of trouble in they thought you were trying to wave down a prison van:rolleyes: how about adding a friendly sticker to the front:D2

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
You could actually get into a lot of trouble in they thought you were trying to wave down a prison van:rolleyes: how about adding a friendly sticker to the front:D2
I don't have a sticker in the front, but have a photo sticker on the back window. Do you think that puts people off ? :rofl:
20190716_085248.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I've waved to a prison van (amongst other things) didn't get a wave back but a couple of huge grins.

Upvote 0

R1guy

Free Member
Sep 7, 2018
East yorks
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years
Some bad drivers worry about taking their hands off of the steering wheel for a split second, fearing a crash. I suspect that as they are holding the steering wheel in a manic death grip, that they are concerned that the blood may flow back into the gnarled bent fingers and cause cramp. It must be something like that.

TOP TIP!:- If your a poor driver and worried about momentarily letting go of the steering wheel, with one hand, even though the other one stays, firmly in place just in case the motorhome, Herbie style decides to suddenly veer off the road, for no logical reason whatsoever, just practice by adjusting your Sun visor!

I wave at all and sundry, thinking that I must be waving at the bad drivers as they are terrified to wave back, before remembering that I am in my car!
I am such a fantastic driver I wave with both hands while steering with my knees, not too enthusiastically though, I wouldn't want to drop my phone and spill my coffee ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
I went from my old five birth to a small two birth van, it has everything my 5 birth had except 3 beds, do I get a wave anymore, never. As I am on my own, except for my dog I sometimes feel sad, I feel sad for the... bastards that think they are superior, saying that I'm not bothered because the definition of what is or what is not a Motorhome is lost these days on shape and size, a lot has been said on the subject and so now I'm done with it, but if I see you my friend, waving, I will wave back.

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I think I will put my sticker in the middle of the windscreen because if I put it where the tax disc used be it will be hard to see, in the middle it can be seen whether in uk or in a foreign place. ?it will have vipar under it.
Give me a wave. I have one on the karzy window so wave as you pass me, I will be in the slow lane enjoying the scenery.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Sometimes folk wave, but I might be on the loo or getting a beer from the fridge.

Elvis does really well steering while I'm busy, but I told him to always have 2 paws on steering wheel, so he doesn't wave back.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We actually end up laughing a lot, either at me enthusiastically waving only to get a look like I’ve just shit in the sandwich box, or at the grumpy people who were entirely going to ignore but feeble wave almost in guilt at my enthusiastic dimwit wave
Either way, it keeps us amused
We usually raise a cheer when we meet a non grumpy waver who beats me to it
Being an ex biker and now a 1969 beetle convertible driver, I’m used to waving to likeminded souls and chuckling at miseries
We don't wave but far from grumpy it's just we personally not see the point with so many other motorhomes on the road. The AA stopped saluting some time ago so maybe time to also move on. But if it's your thing.. good for you.

Upvote 0

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
I’m new to MH scene and I normally have waves and I always wave back it used to be same when I owned my mk1 Mazda Mx5 ?

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
What about when you over take another motorhome on the motorway/dual carriage? I, as the passenger look over/back and wave but am always ignored (maybe they didn’t like/ were surprised at been overtaken?)

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We don't wave but far from grumpy it's just we personally not see the point with so many other motorhomes on the road.

Nothing wrong with not initiating a wave. But if you don’t return a wave when you receive one then you are worse than grumpy. :)

And your excuse....

When walking in the street, what’s the point of responding to a good morning, when there are so many people :doh:

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's interesting though isn't it, folk will cheerily wave back at you on the road - but park up on a campsite............................................!

Unless of course they've got a MHF sticker!

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Thank
Nothing wrong with not initiating a wave. But if you don’t return a wave when you receive one then you are worse than grumpy. :)

And your excuse....

When walking in the street, what’s the point of responding to a good morning, when there are so many people :doh:
Sorry I but don’t need an excuse to not return a wave initiated by somebody I don’t know and would be past me in a nano second.
Just don’t get too upset if you don’t get a wave and don’t call me grumpy. If you are wanting a gratuitous wave I am sure there are plenty of others that are very happy to oblige. Incidentally I am more than happy to exchange good morning or whatever when out and about but that is different as the person you are exchanging with is within your personal space.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We get as many waves now as we ever did. In fact, in my experience, it's rare to meet non-wavers,

Mind you that is likely because we'll probably wave first, I think you'd have to be a special type of miserable sod to see a wave and not return it. And the odd time this does happen; I'm sure I catch a glimpse of their motorhome facts stickers. :D
A miserable sod here, Jim you are quite bigoted sometimes not seeing others views. Just for the record we don’t fit into your categorisation we just don’t want to wave at passing motorists just because they are in a motorhome.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim you are quite bigoted sometimes not seeing others views.

I disagree, a bigot would though wouldn't he :D

I don't believe I'm a bigot, I'm not intolerant of your opinion, I just don't agree with it :D .

I remember welcoming, while disagreeing, with your view of the new magazine. I welcomed your numerous detractions in my attempts to try and find an average payload. These views differed from mine and I couldn't persuade you otherwise, but I wouldn't be so rude as to call them bigoted.

Back on topic, Personally I would find it impossible to ignore a wave from another motorhome I would consider it rude to ignore. If someone blatantly ignored a wave of mine I would certainly consider them, rightly or wrongly a rude and miserable grump. :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back