Is it customary to give other motorhomers a wave when driving (1 Viewer)

AndyV

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
since 2003
I/We wave as much as possible, tonking down the Autoroute( which isn't very often) don't bother. In the summer the motor ,homers who don't wave back are the rental drivers usually Parisians in a hurry to get as far south as possible, it's all good fun so take it or leave it, doesn't really matter to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I always wave at the Gaslec vans... :( .. I think they are motorhomes.. :(

Gaslec-Van.png

... I dread to think what it's done to my reputation. ...

Upvote 0

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I’m glad to see this thread. We wave at all the other coach-builts (if I see them in time, I don’t always if I’m trying to navigate and talk as well) and bigger PVCs, and mostly they wave back. I assume any that don’t just didn’t notice (not on the motorway, no one would see). I wasn’t sure if it was the done thing to wave at an A class or the smaller vans. We shall continue waving with abandon (co pilot takes this responsibility very seriously and cheerfully waves at all sorts of vehicles. They mostly wave back, too)

I flash in the lorries and the the tuggers (not that many get past me these days. I overtake tuggers on principle, because I can) and about half the trucks flash me in now. I am assuming they realise I don’t need in the in the you do when tugging, when frankly, you need about half a mile to know you’re clear. I always say thank you with a flash of each indicator, because I think it’s quite a generous thing for the trucks to do, when they must think tuggers are a group of frightful amateurs and a right pain in the proverbial (I mostly do, and I was one!)

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I love it when you see kids waving. It reminds ours being so excited when travelling, they would wave at others so enthusiastically, that they'd crack a smile on even the most miserable non waving motorhomer's faces. :D

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Waved me little arm off once...

Then when he was alongside realised it was a bloody "Tesco" home delivery van..:doh:

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We wave at all Mohos, no matter the size, shape or age, including PVCs and RVs and converted ambulances. Just a kind of gentle wave. Most wave back, or wave before we do, sometimes it’s a very energetic, almost Mexican wave type of thing, more often a simple raising of the hand or even lifting of the fingers off the wheel. We always thank lorry drivers who flash us in with a quick flash of the hazard warning. Most of the bigger rigs tend to flash us in. I’m old enough to remember AA men saluting, then waving. Now they just seem to sell us a battery as we pass. We also wave at drivers of cars who cut us up or cut in front of us at motorway merges but don’t use all of our fingers for that wave.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
PVC = Panel Van Conversion.

Hope this helps...

JJ ("Smug and Superior") :cool:
Now I've got a PVC hardly anyone waves I do miss it. Lol

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Now I've got a PVC hardly anyone waves I do miss it. Lol

The problem is, with a PVC (we have one), you often can't tell it's a M/H rather than just a van until it's too late!

Maybe we need to resurrect the 1970/80s fashion of a windscreen sunstrip with the motorhomefun.co.uk url?

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
No we don't wave, ever. If I'm driving I'm watching the road ahead not looking out for another motorhome and flapping my arm about in excitement because I've seen one. May be different if motorhomes were a rarity on the roads. When I'm in the car I don't wave at every other car on the road.

I don't understand why I should be classed as miserable for not joining in with a rather silly unsafe game. If some of you want to wave, so be it but don't expect everyone to follow your lead.

Upvote 0

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I never assume people are miserable, just concentrating. Although I do wave at other cars, I drive a Beetle cab, and other Beetles wave. We used to have a landy, and other landies waved.

Silly? Possibly. Unsafe? Nobody’s is talking about frantic arm waving just lifting a hand, in the same way you would to say thanks or hello to someone you know. I know people like to go on about how many millions of motorhomes there are on the road now, but we usually see only four or five on any significant journey. They’re hardly ten a penny (if only, as she contemplates finance for the new one!) it’s just a friendly gesture that makes you part of a group.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
No we don't wave, ever. If I'm driving I'm watching the road ahead not looking out for another motorhome and flapping my arm about in excitement because I've seen one. May be different if motorhomes were a rarity on the roads. When I'm in the car I don't wave at every other car on the road.

I don't understand why I should be classed as miserable for not joining in with a rather silly unsafe game. If some of you want to wave, so be it but don't expect everyone to follow your lead.
You sound a bit like a fellow that used to work for me.
We gave him the nickname of Mog which was used by the whole team, much to his amusement.
Mog=Miserable Old Git. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

No offence meant. :)

Richard.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I never assume people are miserable, just concentrating. Although I do wave at other cars, I drive a Beetle cab, and other Beetles wave. We used to have a landy, and other landies waved.

Silly? Possibly. Unsafe? Nobody’s is talking about frantic arm waving just lifting a hand, in the same way you would to say thanks or hello to someone you know. I know people like to go on about how many millions of motorhomes there are on the road now, but we usually see only four or five on any significant journey. They’re hardly ten a penny (if only, as she contemplates finance for the new one!) it’s just a friendly gesture that makes you part of a group.

I would disagree. While you are looking out for other motorhomes and watching if they've waved are you really concentrating on the road ahead? On a motorway should I be looking across many lanes of traffic or watching what is in front and behind?

As for being part of a "club", I've got a motorhome, so what?

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
You sound a bit like a fellow that used to work for me.
We gave him the nickname of Mog which was used by the whole team, much to his amusement.
Mog=Miserable Old Git. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

No offence meant. :)

Richard.

Reading things like this, yes I'm quite happy to not be part of the club.

Upvote 0

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138

I would disagree. While you are looking out for other motorhomes and watching if they've waved are you really concentrating on the road ahead? On a motorway should I be looking across many lanes of traffic or watching what is in front and behind?

I don’t look out for them exactly, I just wave if I see them, which I usually do, while I’m doing all that watching out for what’s in front and behind! (Also, I have a Cheif Waver, who pays no attention to safety whatsoever) To each their own, of course.

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

I don't think anyone would endorse looking over multiple lanes on a motorway to check for oncoming motorhomes on the opposite carriageway.

Surely if you're concentrating on the road ahead on a single carriageway this doesn't exclude oncoming traffic - motorhomes should be obvious without having to 'look' for them. Your journeys must be fraught with danger and devoid of any levity if you can't raise a hand in a friendly gesture.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Your journeys must be fraught with danger and devoid of any levity if you can't raise a hand in a friendly gesture.

The corollary of your statement is that the only way to have an enjoyable journey is to look out for every ugly white box driving past and gesture frantically at it. I think I'd rather stand on a motorway bridge in the middle of a downpour recording Stobart lorry names.

Upvote 0

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No

It’s definitely NOT unsafe, the same way as operating the electric window, turning the heating up, changing gear etc is not unsafe. They take the hand off the wheel for longer than simply raising the palm for a few seconds.

However, it’s correct to say that you shouldn’t be classed as miserable. Each to their own, and if folk do/don’t want to do it, it’s no bother or concern of anyone else.

Upvote 0

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No

While you are looking out for other motorhomes and watching if they've waved are you really concentrating on the road ahead?
Yes, I can confirm that competent drivers are capable of driving safely, and concentrating on the road, while still being able to notice and acknowledge specific oncoming vehicles.

Your strongest (only) argument is that you simply don’t want to do it.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't understand why I should be classed as miserable for not joining in

Of course you don't have to wave at fellow motorhome enthusiasts. If you choose not to, that doesn't make you miserable. However if you notice some excited motorhomer waving at you, and you ignore them, then yes IMO, you are a special kind of miserable :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If waved at and it`s safe .... I give a wave....
200.gif

Never, ever been able to wave to another "Ed" driver... :(
P1100810 (600 x 450).jpg

And I do wave frantically at little red tractors.... :doh::rofl:

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
The corollary of your statement is that the only way to have an enjoyable journey is to look out for every ugly white box driving past and gesture frantically at it. I think I'd rather stand on a motorway bridge in the middle of a downpour recording Stobart lorry names.
Distracting motorway users no doubt:D:D:D
Hope you have a FUN day

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
No we don't wave, ever. If I'm driving I'm watching the road ahead not looking out for another motorhome and flapping my arm about in excitement

I don't understand why I should be classed as miserable for not joining in with a rather silly unsafe game.

While you are looking out for other motorhomes and watching if they've waved are you really concentrating on the road ahead?

The corollary of your statement is that the only way to have an enjoyable journey is to look out for every ugly white box

Oh dear, dear, dear, dear me... :(

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
On our trip up from Texas to Alaska, we were commenting on how we weren’t getting any waves from other motorhomers, until one day we got a hearty wave from an RV. We were so pleased that we eventually got a wave.

A few minutes later we realised why we got the wave, just over the brow of the hill were two huge Grizzly bears standing in the road, one on his hind legs. What a sight for sore eyes.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Oh dear, dear, dear, dear me... :(

JJ :cool:
I'm with @thebriars on this. The number of minor accidents and near misses I've had arriving at and leaving motorhome shows meant I've had to start using only one hand and a foot to wave. Using both hands and/or feet is just madness.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back