Is it customary to give other motorhomers a wave when driving (1 Viewer)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi.Fontie We wave except on motorways its too dodgy , If I don't see the wave Tina waves back its just a bit of Fun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We get as many waves now as we ever did. In fact, in my experience, it's rare to meet non-wavers,

Mind you that is likely because we'll probably wave first, I think you'd have to be a special type of miserable sod to see a wave and not return it. And the odd time this does happen; I'm sure I catch a glimpse of their motorhome facts stickers. :D

Upvote 0

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
It seems to me that waving at other Motorhomers is declining, even if it is still common.

Maybe I'm wrong, but could the reduction be caused by other "newer" people that have difficulty in understanding why? I have lived in a rural area for many years, and as part of that, all of the locals wave to each other no matter what kind of vehicle they drive. Some of the newer people in the area dont do this. As one told me a while ago, they think its stupid! Maybe that thought is the same newer motorhomers have?

To each their own, of course, its just that I think its a kind of old world charm to wave. Its not as if we are giving each other the Agincourt Salute, is it?:D

Upvote 0
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
No, don’t wave as it’s dangerous, it shows you aren’t concentrating on the road. If you own a car do you wave to other car owners? It’s the same thing surely? Just saying like, and my get out clause is that I have a PVC so no one sees me.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Some bad drivers worry about taking their hands off of the steering wheel for a split second, fearing a crash. I suspect that as they are holding the steering wheel in a manic death grip, that they are concerned that the blood may flow back into the gnarled bent fingers and cause cramp. It must be something like that.

TOP TIP!:- If your a poor driver and worried about momentarily letting go of the steering wheel, with one hand, even though the other one stays, firmly in place just in case the motorhome, Herbie style decides to suddenly veer off the road, for no logical reason whatsoever, just practice by adjusting your Sun visor!

I wave at all and sundry, thinking that I must be waving at the bad drivers as they are terrified to wave back, before remembering that I am in my car!

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We get as many waves now as we ever did. In fact, in my experience, it's rare to meet non-wavers,

Mind you that is likely because we'll probably wave first, I think you'd have to be a special type of miserable sod to see a wave and not return it. And the odd time this does happen; I'm sure I catch a glimpse of their motorhome facts stickers. :D
That would be me then.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Been waving at every motor home during our tour of Dorset this autumn and had about 10% return a wave.

Almost got to the stage of raising a middle finger just to get a response. :)

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Yep we always wave when we can/spot the motorhome. I obviously need to go to Specsave tho as on a regular basis hubby will state that’s a horsebox, that’s a lorry, - managed to startle a Tesco delivery man last Friday, allthough to his benefit he did wave back:D

Hubby and I are bikers and they also usually wave at each other - hubby always nods/waves at the baby bikes/learners too and they are usually so chuffed I was always surprised they didn’t crash as they violently waved/nodded their heads back.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Navigator does all the waving - which is probably why we sometimes end up, well, not where we wanted to be...!

Currently in France and although she waves at everyone we only seem to get about 25% returned.

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
It is a bit like a nod "coz we are both in the know" i always acknowledge other bike riders when on a bike ride and no doubt will raise a gesture to other motorhomers when out and about, chuckling to myself when i get nowt back !

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
No, don’t wave as it’s dangerous, it shows you aren’t concentrating on the road. If you own a car do you wave to other car owners? It’s the same thing surely? Just saying like, and my get out clause is that I have a PVC so no one sees me.
They think you are an Amazon van.....they are not waving:LOL:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back