If we have to cancel France...... (1 Viewer)

BERT AND ELSIE

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
NUNEATON WARKS
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
VIRGINS GET IT NEXT WEEK
I have read all comments and as I see it it's a matter of choice as to who travels to France, as long as the boarders are not closed and rules are followed.

we have spent the last 15 years visiting France and apart from the obvious tourist hot spots I can assure you it would be far safer than Cornwall.
After a week on the Roseland peninsular where the camp site was safe as were the beaches, St Mawes was a nightmare and I felt more at risk of catching Covid than I have ever felt, like a football crowd and some very ignorant people too!

so live and let live as long as the rules are followed

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
It is madness! No notice given - arbitrary quarantine if you return after 4 am but not at 3 am so HMG could have given more notice? Just watched the Q and A on BBC about this and it seems as if you can travel back THROUGH France without stopping [if you can - ie from Germany or Italy ] and then not isolate on disembarking the tunnel/ferry...
They are now also saying that France may impose quarantine on arrival - does anyone know how that would affect motorhomers- I suppose this would have to be in a building [hotel?] not in the van?

Anyone still planning to go ? xx

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Impossible to isolate on a ferry I would think! Plus it's almost certain France will impose reciprocal arrangements on people entering France from the UK.. We were looking to cross on ferry at the end of this month and be out of France within 2 hrs but it does not look good at present. We will wait for a little more clarity before making final decision.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
...apart from the 32 hours. What notice period do you think would be appropriate?
They seem to make very random decisions - so maybe give travellers a little longer and let them have this Saturday/ some of Sunday as well? Not everyone would have had the news instantly and people have to pack up/ get back to an airport or ferry/train terminal AFTER booking a new return. Also more time would have increase the possibility of more return spaces being available. Air prices increased [according to BBC] by 400% after the announcement due to lack of supply and dare I say it - profiteering ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Well we may look at Germany now, we were originally heading there and changed our minds to go to France so planned our route, but have been keeping a beady eye on what’s happening, it seems to be springing up all over again now, is this the second wave of the🦠
let’s hope not

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It is madness! No notice given - arbitrary quarantine if you return after 4 am but not at 3 am so HMG could have given more notice? Just watched the Q and A on BBC about this and it seems as if you can travel back THROUGH France without stopping [if you can - ie from Germany or Italy ] and then not isolate on disembarking the tunnel/ferry...
They are now also saying that France may impose quarantine on arrival - does anyone know how that would affect motorhomers- I suppose this would have to be in a building [hotel?] not in the van?

Anyone still planning to go ? xx
Yes,,Sept 1 st,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Well we may look at Germany now, we were originally heading there and changed our minds to go to France so planned our route, but have been keeping a beady eye on what’s happening, it seems to be springing up all over again now, is this the second wave of the🦠
let’s hope not
It seems it's Paris and South around Marselles and Cannes..BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
This was in the news (as rumours) about two weeks ago, I new it so didn't go to France as we were hoping to.

Others took a gamble and have come unstuck.
Not really unstuck unless you have to get back to work..BUSBY.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
They seem to make very random decisions - so maybe give travellers a little longer and let them have this Saturday/ some of Sunday as well? Not everyone would have had the news instantly and people have to pack up/ get back to an airport or ferry/train terminal AFTER booking a new return. Also more time would have increase the possibility of more return spaces being available. Air prices increased [according to BBC] by 400% after the announcement due to lack of supply and dare I say it - profiteering ...
HMG have been saying for quite a long time this had potential and this week were more or less telling everyone it was going to happen.
They learnt from the Spanish one that they had to give some notice and they said they would give 32 hours notice.
They have given that amount of notice.
Prices rose around the 6th July non announcement. A basic reaction based upon supply and demand.
This should not have come as a shock to anybody.
Other motorhomers made a decision during this week to return home prior to the announcement, the writing has been on the wall.
I honestly cant believe (having monitored the figures closely) they have kept France available for so long. Should have gone much earlier in the week, if Spanish figures were anything to go by

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
HMG have been saying for quite a long time this had potential and this week were more or less telling everyone it was going to happen.
They learnt from the Spanish one that they had to give some notice and they said they would give 32 hours notice.
Prices rose around the 6th July non announcement. A basic reaction based upon supply and demand.
Other motorhomers made a decision during this week to return home prior to the announcement, the writing has been on the wall.
I honestly cant believe (having monitored the figures closely) they have kept France available for so long. Should have gone much earlier in the week, if Spanish figures were anything to go by
I think when most people say that they would like more notice they mean until the week after they were due back!!. How can anyone give much advance notice when it's doubled in a week the logical approach if more advanced notice was required would have been to have never opened up while there was a chance of an increase.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A

How people couldn't see this happening is beyond me! As you say, not if but when, and it has been talked about on mainstream media and Motorhomefun for ages. Even the French prime Minister said they were going in the wrong direction!
I thought they might avoid it for a few more days, but the UK have lifted the drawbridge earlier than they did with Spain.
From what I have read the figs for Spain were 37 per 100,000 population cases at the time of quarantine and have shot up since. The French were at 32.5 yesterday.
They are now 34 which is showing twice the Uk's 17 cases per 100k .

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
How people couldn't see this happening is beyond me! As you say, not if but when, and it has been talked about on mainstream media and Motorhomefun for ages. Even the French prime Minister said they were going in the wrong direction!
I thought they might avoid it for a few more days, but the UK have lifted the drawbridge earlier than they did with Spain.
From what I have read the figs for Spain were 37 per 100,000 population cases at the time of quarantine and have shot up since. The French were at 32.5 yesterday.
I was using their total infections where Spain doubled overnight up to 2,000 ish and stayed steady for about 3 days before the action.
I now realise i should have used the per 100,000 figure
Ta

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Out of interest I looked up the thread "please dont let france go on the quarantine list" thread..................which was started on 26th July

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We've travelled into Europe for at least 6 months in every year. During this crazy time it is impossible to plan a trip as every destination is uncertain. Why give yourselves the hassle and worry.
As things are we are not even thinking of a trip until everything settles down (if ever).
The pleasure isn't there at the moment. Everyone thinking of going over the water is worried about ferries quarantine and self isolation. No fun.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Plus it's almost certain France will impose reciprocal arrangements on people entering France from the UK.
I don't think they got removed before ? Even so unless they change the law they are 'voluntary' ?
If spain had the same population as the UK the figure would be 23?

As for how much notice I'm in the "immediate no notice whatsoever" camp. Can't see how today at 3pm you are fit but tomorrow at 4,05 am you aren't ?

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
...apart from the 32 hours. What notice period do you think would be appropriate?
If they'd given no notice at all, that would at least have avoided the panic to rush for crossings back. I am in no way a fan of what Johnson & Co have been doing, but as has been said people must have known the risk. (And I don't understand why someone coming back by 3am tomorrow poses less of a risk than someone getting here an hour later, another reason to give no notice.)
32 hours notice was only ever going to generate chaos.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
There has been weeks of Government heads up on what might happen - now it has and people are surprised.

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
With all this going on why would you travel this was bound to happen now you have all the hassle and may be spread it back to uk
I think it mad
That’s just me maybe I am wrong but don’t think I am when you really think about it.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If spain had the same population as the UK the figure would be 23?
The figures quoted were for "per 100,000" so if Spain had the same amount of people of as UK then the figure would remain the same (unless the excess 20 odd million were all uninfected)

Or you could use the reverse point that if UK had the same population as Spain our figures would by 10 !

Sunnyb

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van 572
Exp
Since 2012
We were due to go on 27th August for just over a week. We had only booked the crossing, no sites. P&O website says any departures in August which are cancelled can be banked as a credit as long as used within 12 months. Prior to the change of government advice the concession was that we could change the dates without the usual £20 fee per journey but you had to pick and book your new dates before the date of your original departure. This new concession means we can hang fire until next year and book once we know our plans for holidays for the year. I will contact them at some point before the 27th to confirm this but not even going to try until next week! We have already made alternative arrangements and are travelling up through Shropshire to North Wales staying at Beddgelert campsite - very much looking forward to it.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Our figures are down 5000 deaths on last week as our government found a way to report it that better suited them. If you think the stats we are hearing about are a true reflection then stay in your happy place!
I'm glad that I don't share your skepticism. The figures no longer include those who were hit by a bus but tested positive at some time in the past.
John

Suvvi

Free Member
Sep 14, 2018
East Lothian
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer conversion
Exp
Caravan's and tents to date..
I'm glad that I don't share your skepticism. The figures no longer include those who were hit by a bus but tested positive at some time in the past.
John
Maybe i'm just more optimistic about not getting hit by a bus, especially in the current reduced services. ;)

Cheers

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Our figures are down 5000 deaths on last week as our government found a way to report it that better suited them. If you think the stats we are hearing about are a true reflection then stay in your happy place!
I'm happy to leave it to the experts rather than speculation. Chill it's the weekend coming up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back