If we have to cancel France...... (2 Viewers)

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
It is not like visitors in a moho would be importing an unknown virus to France. We will take the same precautions there as we would here. We have both tested negative [yes I know it only shows you didn't have it on that day ] My OH has been working 12- 15 hours a day [at home for NHS] for months and we both need a break and think that the less populated areas of France will be a safe bet for a holiday for us and for others.
It is worrying and upsetting to see people on the forum being so upset and afraid of this virus. I understand that people have different attitudes to life and I thought I was one of the most risk averse people ever. Apparently not.
If we have to isolate on return it wont be any different to what the last few months have been like apart from me shopping once a week. Still got to live a life ....

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
No one has ever said I hope I am not bringing it to your country as you probably have enough of your own ! It’s all about me and my holiday.
I hope i m not bringing it to your country, I am also hoping I dont bring it back.
If i were to remain in this country on holiday, I would also hope not to take it to wherever i went or return it from whence i came.

I would be astounded if anybody didnt hope for the same thing.
With the amount of threads that have gone on, I dont think anybody that has gone over, has put themselves in any more danger than they would have at "home". When we went, we applied UK rules in France, keeping our 2 metres (at the time) didnt go to a "pub" til near the end, even though it was outside and more or less nobody there. We got out of Germany having seen how normal it was and werent used to it.
I genuinely dont think motorhomers are an issue to you where you are and your surrounding regions, but with one cluster within a 200 mile radius of you, there is an attraction to flee the overcrowded UK, just like we do every year. It is not escaping the virus that is bringing us to you per se, it is the beauty of your (soon to be) country which no doubt had a bearing on where you wanted to live permanently. And a dam fine choice you made.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I wouldn't go personally. We have no idea what this virus is going to do next but it's not going away. I don't want to be ill abroad, we tried that last year and it's dire being ill in a country where you don't really speak the language.

I definitely don't want to wear a mask, whenever I go somewhere. I know the regulations differ depending on which country you're in.

I'm not keen on the idea of having a break down at the best of times but it could be potentially tricky at present. Our friends wrote off their motorhome last year, in Spain. They were taken to hospital and were okay but very shaken. They had to book into a hotel and book flights home. It was horrible for them but imagine it happening now. We usually have the Red Pennant insurance, which includes repatriation of the vehicle and the dog. That level of insurance isn't available at present for Spain.

Finally, if I had to come home it could be difficult to get a ferry crossing or tunnel booking. I would also be concerned about getting an appointment with a vet. During lockdown, the vets here were only open for emergencies.
Most insurance includes repatriation of the vehicle and occupants,,BUSBY..Possibly not available for countries where UK Gov advise no travel..France is still ok. BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We are also booked on the tunnel on 2nd September, it isn't specially the self isolation for 14 days a problem for us, its if France is added to the no go list, then our travel insurance and more importantly Breakdown cover would be invalid (that's what Nationwide insurance told us.) If the ban would come after we have left then we would be covered but if before the 2nd Sept and we was still to go then it would be invalid, so at present we have everything crossed. Mark
We go through tunnel on 1st sept,,BUSBY.

Sunnyb

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van 572
Exp
Since 2012
My understanding having read the latest information from Nationwide, is that on the basis you don't travel against FCO advice then full cover is in place. However, travelling to a country not on the FCO safe air corridor list then you will not be covered by the policy. The only exception to this, is if you had a holiday pre booked and paid for prior to the 23rd March 2020.
I agree with Hellski. What the NW website says about the travel insurance currently is that Your travel insurance will cover you for events relating to COVID-19. For example, emergency medical expenses abroad, cancelling or cutting short a trip as long as: you were not travelling against doctor’s advice and the FCO were not advising against travel when you booked or departed for your trip.
Breakdown cover is slightly different: There are no changes to your UK and European Breakdown cover.

S
o as long as there is no Foreign Office advice against travelling to France when you leave your travel insurance will still cover you. Your breakdown insurance will cover you even if there is FCO advice against travel to France when you depart. Our trip is booked for 27th August and we will go if there is no FCO advice against it but won't if there is or looks likely to be. My view, for us, is that if we apply the same precautions as we have been doing here then we are no more at risk than we are in the UK what with trips to the supermarket, one of us back in the office two days a week and two young adult kids at home who are out and about seeing their friends again (and thank goodness they are).

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I wish they would go further and make it a condition of entry that you had to have your gps location on at all times and be able to show it at the border where you have been for the past fortnight as (has been pointed out) you could say you have been anywhere.
That only works if a person has a smart phone. & no you can't stop a Uk citizen entering.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
slightly off topic but with the demise of the EHIc for the Uk citizens as from January 1st I think you have to get used to not travelling abroad as if you all insist on travel & medical insurance before you go & FO advice is no travelling you won't be going anywhere as they won't be covering you even if you buy it.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Most insurance includes repatriation of the vehicle and occupants,,BUSBY..Possibly not available for countries where UK Gov advise no travel..France is still ok. BUSBY.
Not the dog though and not Spain, which is where we were headed.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
That only works if a person has a smart phone. & no you can't stop a Uk citizen entering.
Call me draconian if you want, but if we are having laws, that totally rely upon the honesty of the person filling the form out, they are worthless.
In order to enforce this, I see smartphones as a way of ensuring the Q14 is not the sham it currently could be.
No smartphone, no leave the country. No passport, no leave the country.
There is nothing stopping anyone in a motorhome going to Barcelona's night clubs and saying "I was in Germany" upon return.
I know its probably impossible to implement, but i just dont see what the issue is if the information is only held for a fortnight via an app. (I know they keep it longer but the only person that cares about that is a bloke in a German cell waiting to be interviewed by the Portuguese)
No doubt somebody will tell me that the Chinese Government (huawei phone) will track which aire I used and can therefore target me for toilet dumping liquid. They are probably doing that now, but i keep buying Lidls washing fluid.

Its just my view and realise unimplementable.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I’ve read this thread with interest - we’d been contemplating just possibly venturing over to France next month, although it’s now looking pretty unlikely - but that comment is just gratuitously offensive! Some people have died after months in hospital, and even those who contract it now may have done so via an asymptomatic (or presymptomatic) household member.

I think Stealaway should apologise. But won’t be holding my breath.

I will apologise for being a bit insensitive (more people are probably now dieing in RTA's considering the amount of staycations) but not for strictly following European government guidelines and their scientific advisors.

Just said to Mrs Poppycamper what do you think Stealaway reaction will be and she agreed with me
He will say he is going and he don't give a damn about anybody else so ...I I rest my case . Hope you feel free in your adopted land and don't need NHS after your one day rush back to Blighty.
Right.. time for me and Mrs Poppycamper to go and get locked in the wardrobe fur a bit of rumpy pumpy.
Stealaway ... you may be able to educate us here seeing you like to be In France......What is the French for Rumpy Pumpy. Thanks

I am booked on Eurotunnel to France for a month on the 20th September but it seem I should now be contacting some of our member to see when it's OK for me to go out. :Eeek: :Eeek:

Before making your decision I hope you will take into consideration that I will be spending loads of money and helping both counties recover from the lockdown :drinks::drinks:

Enjoy your à des choses frivoles session in the wardrobe:whistle2::whistle2:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Before making your decision I hope you will take into consideration that I will be spending loads of money and helping both counties recover from the lockdown :drinks::drinks:
In which case you certainly won’t be staying away from others

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Not the dog though and not Spain, which is where we were headed.
Shame ADAC has finished,,they covered everything,,,Whilst Spain is on Government dont travel list i doubt any insurance company will cover you if you ignore the advice. BUSBY.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
In which case you certainly won’t be staying away from others

We mostly only travel about in the van sightseeing and as here we only mix will other people at the shops.

As you know most small towns and villages in France are almost always deserted anyway

Not that they need it but Eurotunnel will be in profit by around £250 :Eeek:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Call me draconian if you want, but if we are having laws, that totally rely upon the honesty of the person filling the form out, they are worthless.
In order to enforce this, I see smartphones as a way of ensuring the Q14 is not the sham it currently could be.
There is nothing stopping anyone in a motorhome going to Barcelona's night clubs and saying "I was in Germany" upon return.
I know its probably impossible to implement, but i just dont see what the issue is if the information is only held for a fortnight via an app. (I know they keep it longer but the only person that cares about that is a bloke in a German cell waiting to be interviewed by the Portuguese)
No doubt somebody will tell me that the Chinese Government (huawei phone) will track which aire I used and can therefore target me for toilet dumping liquid. They are probably doing that now, but i keep buying Lidls washing fluid.

Its just my view and realise unimplementable.
Why are some people so against being traced!
My sister has a tea rooms and has had numerous arguments with customers refusing to fill out a simple track and trace form.
She just tells them no form no meal, no doubt they put in false details then.

I could not care less if the government knows where I am and am all for everyone carrying ID at all times.
Or better still a chip under the skin😁

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
So you can be back here in one day if you show any symptoms....well that is really reassuring to the sensible people who stayed at home to keep safe and inconsiderates like you are going to run back home as soon as you get it....Thanks for your concern and I hope your fellow countrymen forgive you as they are fed into the fire or lowered 6ft under..
Disgusted..
Is that disgusted of Reigate or Purley? :smiley:

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My decision has different drivers, not the risk or self isolating. It is the atmosphere on the Passion sites, I love to muck in, be nosey even known to repair equipment for the owners.
I have made friends of them over the years, and have no wish to be unwelcome in anyway.
It has a price of course, because I will not be buying the cheese etc. Wine they are shipping, well why not.
For me the evening meal, cleaning a vat out or spinning a yarn is what I go for.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What worries me is this idea of if we get ill we'll just travel back. How exactly whilst isolating? What a great way to spread the virus. We will be going as long as quarantine doesn't start looking likely but if we get ill surely the thing to do is seek medical advice. If it's isolate in the van so be it. I suspect it's very unlikely to be a recommendation to traipse across europe visiting petrol stations shops the terminal staff people on the tunnel etc and risk spreading it all the way home.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Far fewer people, unless the the French are midgets. Sorry to be pedantic; it’s my pet hate!
I was under the impression that pedantic correction was frowned upon by The Management.

Last edited:

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
This is all about our fears and perceptions.

We all have them of course. They just vary depending on what we know, or want to know.

So trying to put those aside for a mo: Most countries in our driving range are now running at something like - 1000 -2500 new cases per day. UK death rate average from Covid-19 is now about 70. The breakdown of heart related deaths in the UK, according to yearly statistics by Imperial college (look it up) is 83. Heart disease is apparently the biggest killer, Cancer is second I think, but again, look it up.

We know now if you are older, fatter/diabetic, with a heart condition you either know or don't know about, your outcome, should you catch it, is not great, possibly dire. So its down to how likely are you to catch it, and as you can't see the person in a room with it and passing it on unwittingly, its a lottery!

You can take precautions, be in less crowded places, avoid cities and people in general. They will all reduce your chances of catching it.

So, with that in mind, it doesn't matter which country you are in or travel to. What matters is that you don't take it with you and don't bring it back.

When we all know that, and are prepared to accept that, we can get on with our lives.

Do you?

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
If not locked down we’re going in September, I have worked right through, moved house a week into lock down, been invaded by gangs of motorbikes racing through our village, campers leaving rubbish (human feaces), druggies, chavs, idiots climbing scafell needing rescued( Glad I retired from Wasdale mountain rescue) it’s as if everyone has rebelled against the system, now I get it that people have been locked up in cities and we’re dying to get out, but I honestly have never seen behaviour like this, blocking roads even calling one of our elderly residents a peado because he couldn’t get to the shop as they’d blocked him in and he’d dared to ask them to move, it’s a different class of tourist now coming and it’s not pleasant, so I want to go to France where it’s quiet.
I can self isolate for 14 days in France if I get symptoms and as rightly stated Wouldn’t head home because I suspect I would be too ill, just my take on what I’ve seen in my locality, so as long as I’m told by the authorities it’s a no go then I’m not going 😀
Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Yep. We are discovering there is a thin line between civility and anarchy aren't we.

The government is walking along a careful line I think to keep on track.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I don't leave ,I enter. & yes you do need a passport to leave the UK.Only country where one is required yet a citizen or permanent right of abode holder can return without one?

Shame ADAC has finished,,they covered everything,,,Whilst Spain is on Government dont travel list i doubt any insurance company will cover you if you ignore the advice. BUSBY.
Our vehicle insurance covers everything same as adac does & eu wide + no restrictions .
Or better still a chip under the skin
Are we now talking about the 'vaccine' ?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Far fewer people, unless the the French are midgets. Sorry to be pedantic; it’s my pet hate!
While it it is grammatically correct, if your opinion had persisted throughout history, the language would not have changed since the days of Shakespeare. The English language is a moving entity and grammar pendants are the ones who are being left behind

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back