If we have to cancel France...... (1 Viewer)

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We are/Were booked on the tunnel for Friday 28th for a month. oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men :( :cry:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Ok shoot me now....It is only my view ...BUT I cannot understand why anybody would be contemplating going abroad during this devasting outbreak of Covid.
For business, very possibly... for recreation and Sun defo not.
😢😢😢😩😩😩
So you are of the opinion that just because you’re petrified we all should be. We’re in France now and guess what? We haven’t died of Covid. How many people do you know that have died of Covid? How many people do you know that have died of heart problems? How many people do you know that have died of cancer? People die in France from heart disease. People die in France of cancer. Are those two causes of death stopping you going to France as well?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
So you are of the opinion that just because you’re petrified we all should be. We’re in France now and guess what? We haven’t died of Covid. How many people do you know that have died of Covid? How many people do you know that have died of heart problems? How many people do you know that have died of cancer? People die in France from heart disease. People die in France of cancer. Are those two causes of death stopping you going to France as well?
Petrified a bit strong... In last 5 months... I have personally known
Heart deaths nil
Cancer death nil
COVID 4. All close to my friends and family.
No I am not scared to go abroad but think those that do in current situation (in my opinion) are irresponsible...
As I said "Shoot me now!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Heart deaths nil
Cancer death nil
No I am not scared to go abroad but think those that do in current situation (in my opinion) are irresponsible...
BANG!! please don't try to force your opinion on others, we all have choices and we have to live with that choice. we are booked to go 28th Aug for a month, do i/ don't i.... a lot to consider

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Heart deaths nil
Cancer death nil
Died of Covid or with it? As far as I know ,most people who died had other conditions that likely killed them but they also had Covid which probably hastened their ending unfortunately but it did not kill them. I know there will be some that were seemingly fit and healthy but these are minimal.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Pandemic two was predicted, in fact the exercise of power over the sheeple is gathering pace.
We faced with not just uncertain times, but predictable times.
Your safe if your of my mind says the Demagogues, I know what's best for you.
Well cynical maybe, only time will tell, but if my gut feeling is correct views of derision expressed here will be the tip of a very large iceberg I fear.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Pandemic two was predicted, in fact the exercise of power over the sheeple is gathering pace.
We faced with not just uncertain times, but predictable times.
Your safe if your of my mind says the Demagogues, I know what's best for you.
Well cynical maybe, only time will tell, but if my gut feeling is correct views of derision expressed here will be the tip of a very large iceberg I fear.
The cynic mocks, but the skeptic questions, and hopefully reaches a sensible conclusion. I have concluded that irrespective of my desires and prejudices, the powers that be are more capable of dealing with this crisis than I am!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The cynic mocks, but the skeptic questions, and hopefully reaches a sensible conclusion. I have concluded that irrespective of my desires and prejudices, the powers that be are more capable of dealing with this crisis than I am!
The problem for some is they know from the internet that its all a power grab by alien lizards taking over the world and Bill Gates is in league with them to implant microchips secretly in his vaccine to turn everyone into zombie robots!!!!!. Makes me wonder what drugs I'm missing out on.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
As much as I share some of your sentiment, even you must admit that comparing two non-communicable diseases to one of the most widespread and infectious diseases in living memory that has the whole world scrambling to create safe systems of working and living is slightly ridiculous??

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
BANG!! please don't try to force your opinion on others, we all have choices and we have to live with that choice. we are booked to go 28th Aug for a month, do i/ don't i.... a lot to consider
We are booked 28th as well. I think 1150 hrs.

Unlike my last holiday (Guinea pig) there are options available this time. (There was an option last time but it was sit indoors watching homes under the hammer for a month)

If things are as they are today, then Germany Austria, but monitoring figures daily (this will not cause me stress) and then do a Googlebot (who has played a blinder) and predict the likeliness of Q14 and beat HMG to the punch.

I would like at least a fortnights worth of Germany and Austria to make it worth the while, if i dont think we can get that then the UK it is.

We have 2 weeks to monitor and make that very individual decision for ourselves but we will base it on the same information available.

Your decision may be different to ours. And that is what some dont get.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016

Unlike my last holiday (Guinea pig) there are options available this time. (There was an option last time but it was sit indoors watching homes under the hammer for a month)

If things are as they are today, then Germany Austria, but monitoring figures daily (this will not cause me stress) and then do a Googlebot (who has played a blinder) and predict the likeliness of Q14 and beat HMG to the punch.

I would like at least a fortnights worth of Germany and Austria to make it worth the while, if i dont think we can get that then the UK it is.

We have 2 weeks to monitor and make that very individual decision for ourselves but we will base it on the same information available.

Sounds like our sort of plan, we have chunnel booked on 28th was going to France but maybe thinking Germany now again depending on the likelihood of them going on the naughty step.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Sounds like our sort of plan, we have chunnel booked on 28th was going to France but maybe thinking Germany now again depending on the likelihood of them going on the naughty step.
Yep Mosel is lovely at this time of year.... plus it’s the wine harvest

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years

Very kind of you to say so.

I am afraid constant monitoring of the figures is what we will all have to do for some time yet.

Nobody should be surprised France has entered the list if they have been watching things.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018

seems there is a few of us in the same position 🥺

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
We are booked on the tunnel on the 26th August.
Thought we would be fine this time having already cancelled our trip where we were due to go in April.
we are supposed to be going to Crete.
I don’t think we can transit through France to Germany which was our intended route even though we weren’t going to stop as our insurances would be invalid wouldnt they ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If the figures quoted are per 100,000 of the population, what has the size of the population of the country got to do with it? :rolleyes:
You have to know the total population to work out the "per 100k" deaths.
If the UK only had a population of 23 million itis number would be 3 x what it is now.

The spanish number is 100 new cases per 100k in the last 14 days
Therefore that means 100 cases x 10 = 1000/million x total population of 45 million = approx 45000 new cases in last 14 days.which is approximately correct.
How do you think the number is arrived at?
My argument is that countries with larger populations or smaller, the figures become distorted. The UK ;France & Germany should be approx same. UK & Germany are France is double.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Died of Covid or with it? As far as I know ,most people who died had other conditions that likely killed them but they also had Covid which probably hastened their ending unfortunately but it did not kill them. I know there will be some that were seemingly fit and healthy but these are minimal.
That's a bit like saying someone didn't die as strawberry jam in a RTA because they were probably going to have a heart attack anyway.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
As much as I share some of your sentiment, even you must admit that comparing two non-communicable diseases to one of the most widespread and infectious diseases in living memory that has the whole world scrambling to create safe systems of working and living is slightly ridiculous??
My point was that the poster is of the impression that they will definitely catch Covid in France. Which to me sounds a bit daft. More people die of the other diseases i mentioned than are dying of Covid but suddenly developing heart problems whilst in France doesn’t seem to bother them.
Covid is never going away. It’s here now. In my opinion there will never be a vaccine either. So we can either live our lives as best we can or we can hide at home for ever more. The diseases I used were, to me more likely to kill me than Covid. So in answer to the suggestion that we should all stay at home, I say no I won’t stay home just because the original poster thinks I should. This life is not a practice. We get one life. I’m going to live mine.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
If the UK only had a population of 23 million itis number would be 3 x what it is now.

Therefore that means 100 cases x 10 = 1000/million x total population of 45 million = approx 45000 new cases in last 14 days.which is approximately correct.
My argument is that countries with larger populations or smaller, the figures become distorted. The UK ;France & Germany should be approx same. UK & Germany are France is double.

I’m pleased you’ve cleared that up

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We are booked on the tunnel on the 26th August.
Thought we would be fine this time having already cancelled our trip where we were due to go in April.
we are supposed to be going to Crete.
I don’t think we can transit through France to Germany which was our intended route even though we weren’t going to stop as our insurances woul
You will still be fine (at the moment)
Your vehicle insurance (check with your company) should not be affected at all.
Your travel insurance may have an effect whilst you are in France and Belgium transiting.
That is the worst case scenario (as it stands) however, I think there is an argument that your travel insurance is valid for transit through that country as FCO say that is in order and not against the rules.
Others may disagree with that and the only way to find out is to ask your travel insurance company but emphasise you are transiting to a safe country and wonder if the travel insurance is valid for the 3 hours it takes to transit through the quickest available route

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
That's a bit like saying someone didn't die as strawberry jam in a RTA because they were probably going to have a heart attack anyway.
How do you know they didn’t have a heart attack that caused the RTC. The statistics would say killed in RTC. I’ve attended a few heart attacks that were the cause of RTCs.

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018

Wow. That’s hard maths for me 😂

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
How people couldn't see this happening is beyond me! As you say, not if but when, and it has been talked about on mainstream media and Motorhomefun for ages. Even the French prime Minister said they were going in the wrong direction!
I thought they might avoid it for a few more days, but the UK have lifted the drawbridge earlier than they did with Spain.
From what I have read the figs for Spain were 37 per 100,000 population cases at the time of quarantine and have shot up since. The French were at 32.5 yesterday.
They are now 34 which is showing twice the Uk's 17 cases per 100k .
Or less than Calderdale where we are which is 45........ and where we are deemed to be safer than some french countryside aire.......

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
You will still be fine (at the moment)
Your vehicle insurance (check with your company) should not be affected at all.
Your travel insurance may have an effect whilst you are in France and Belgium transiting.
That is the worst case scenario (as it stands) however, I think there is an argument that your travel insurance is valid for transit through that country as FCO say that is in order and not against the rules.
Others may disagree with that and the only way to find out is to ask your travel insurance company but emphasise you are transiting to a safe country and wonder if the travel insurance is valid for the 3 hours it takes to transit through the quickest available route

Thanks for that !
We did ask the question to travel insurance company and they said that we wouldn’t be insured whilst going through France but fine once in Germany.
Was concerned about mohome insurance whilst driving if we are going against FCO advice.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
My point was that the poster is of the impression that they will definitely catch Covid in France. Which to me sounds a bit daft. More people die of the other diseases i mentioned than are dying of Covid but suddenly developing heart problems whilst in France doesn’t seem to bother them.
Covid is never going away. It’s here now. In my opinion there will never be a vaccine either. So we can either live our lives as best we can or we can hide at home for ever more. The diseases I used were, to me more likely to kill me than Covid. So in answer to the suggestion that we should all stay at home, I say no I won’t stay home just because the original poster thinks I should. This life is not a practice. We get one life. I’m going to live mine.
Again, I agree with you to a point. Personally, we are buying our very first motorhome in the middle of all this. We hired a van for two weeks before that and originally planned to head into Germany. Closer to the trip, we had some concerns about the border situation and so chose to remain with Poland, especially as we were renting the van. Did we consider cancelling our trip? No, not at all. Did we adapt our trip to the changing conditions as they presented themselves? Absolutely we did and I would not hesitate to do the same in the future if required. I too refuse to live in fear, but I will listen to the advice given and take sensible precautions to minimise risk to myself and others. I say this not to start an argument with you, but to show I was never trying to have one in the first place!!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

No, they work the figure out by having the grand total of infections in a day/week then divide that number into the population.
So lets say 4,500 infections and 45,000,000 people in the country. Thats one infection per 1,000 people or 100 infections per 100,000 people.

Now if the UK had 4,500 infections per day/week on 65,000,000 ish people, the rate would be about 2/3 of that in Spain.

France is double what the UK and Germany is because they have twice as many cases per capita

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
On our way back from south of France to quarantin we took the gamble had three nice weeks now two more at home no problem. One thing we have noticed if you go rural in France they are very sensible. Stopped south of Lyon tonight only one small pizzeria open with plastic screens between each table inside and spread out tables outside.. But down south in holiday land business as usual all beit with a mask around your neck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back