Fun Yearbook 2018 (1 Viewer)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Funsters are such a finicky lot - what ever happened to KISS (keep it short and simple)? :D

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I think the loose leaf version could work, but it will make it more difficult to get advertisers to buy into it. They would like to know that their messages remain on view for a year and not taken out and binned on Jan 2nd. :)
We used to produce a loose leaf book for a small caravan owners club. We used to print the adverts on the reverse of very useful or relevant pages so that they wouldn't be thrown away.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
How about a little envelope type pouch at the back where you can stuff your petrol receipts etc until you can write them in your bestest handwriting in your fabulous new book?

Reactions: CWH

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
The A5 format is probably the best size, sourcing and printing to it, especially double sided, is a right pain. Also If you were printing your own, the A5 6 hole punch, normally punches 2 pages at a time and is a bigger pain :) A4 is much easier, but its too big for the cab.
We found A5 ring binders were becoming more difficult to source.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A5 binders are still available cheap
10 here for £13

just add a yellow motorhome fun sticker

as for adverts, print on the rear of forms so as you turn the pages the adverts are on the left page

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Some great ideas there we'll do our best to incorporate as many as possible. I think the loose leaf version could work, but it will make it more difficult to get advertisers to buy into it. They would like to know that their messages remain on view for a year and not taken out and binned on Jan 2nd. :)

Katie bought a notebook the other day with a very chunky wire-bind which would work well with an often-opened journal and last for years . Quality Binding is not a cheap option though. We know from experience that perfect binding, that's the type of binding a paperback has, needs to the binding to be sewn as well as glued if you are gong to write in it, and again that pushes prices up. Loads to think about, thanks (y)View attachment 151346

View attachment 151347
The advertising could bein the top (or bottom) quarter of each page or, depending on the number of sections to the publication and the anticipated number of advertisers, the first or last full (or half) page of each section thus giving advertisers a choice of advert size and price.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
..... maybe with the option to 'sponsor a section' giving them a header or footer presence on every page within that section (with or without a full, half or quarter page ad)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Submitted ,thank you Jim for all the work (y)
Brian & Jo

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A5 binders are still available cheap
10 here for £13

just add a yellow motorhome fun sticker

as for adverts, print on the rear of forms so as you turn the pages the adverts are on the left page
I resisted mentioning about using a standard 2-ring binder as it is too easy for the pages to drop out/get torn than one with 6 rings ... at work it used to drive me nuts having to put reinforcing washers on stuff to keep it 'captive'!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Details of how to use a MH toilet would be invaluable to many. Pictures may be needed.
images (1).jpg

Oct 26, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Jim, just ordered. I will use it to record all my jolly adventures with a new club that I have just joined called the Caravan and Motorhome Club, sound like funsters.....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to say ...

name and a

added! :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A page with a picture of the sky footprint across Europe with something like suggested dish size for reception ?

A page with common words or mh related abbreviations, such as ehu, sog, fiver, etc .

A list of shows and or rallies/meets

If I think of anything else I will... Keep quiet ! LOL !!

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
You've opened up a can of worms here, @Jim. What are you going to call the Handbook? Having read all the above posts, our suggestion would be "The Neverending Story".

Quoting John Lydgate, “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time”, so best YOU decide what goes in bearing in mind the cost. Maybe you could arrange for voluntary donations once the handbook is received. Surely most people would be willing to pay a nominal amount for such a useful resource?

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Great idea. As @andy63 said would not object to a small charge. Been looking for something like this.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You've opened up a can of worms here, @Jim. What are you going to call the Handbook? Having read all the above posts, our suggestion would be "The Neverending Story".

Quoting John Lydgate, “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time”, so best YOU decide what goes in bearing in mind the cost. Maybe you could arrange for voluntary donations once the handbook is received. Surely most people would be willing to pay a nominal amount for such a useful resource?

You should know me by now. I take the advice and consider it, then decide what to do. Most people think that it would be easier to do it democratically but it doesn't work very well for stuff like this. For example, lets say I have a vote to decide if its bound or loose leaf 51% choose bound. That means I have alienated 49% who'd prefer it loose leaf. Rather I take the advice, use my best judgement and say this is it. Do you want it or not :)

Seems to work...:D

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
How about somewhere to write the CORRECT tyre pressures for your vehicle - not the incorrect ones that many manufacturers have on the door pillar, or in the handbook.

tedontour

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
van conversion autocruise
Exp
since 1976
I'm planning on producing an annual handbook for members. It will carry some advertising to cover printing and distribution. Which will mean that it is free to members.

This will take the place of our popular journal which we normally sell. We expect the core of the handbook will be a journal/diary so you can record your travels and the collected handbooks over the years should become treasure troves of memories.

I'm open to suggestions as to what What else might be in the handbook, of course we'll include a rally calendar and we fancy some useful checklists and a motorhome logbook to record when the MOT is due and maintenance etc. Anything else?

If you would like to Receive the Free Journal/Handbook. Then let us know by giving us your address here
thanks jim form sent (y)

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
You should know me by now. I take the advice and consider it, then decide what to do. Most people think that it would be easier to do it democratically but it doesn't work very well for stuff like this. For example, lets say I have a vote to decide if its bound or loose leaf 51% choose bound. That means I have alienated 49% who'd prefer it loose leaf. Rather I take the advice, use my best judgement and say this is it. Do you want it or not :)

Should we call for a referendum?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Great idea, I've kept logbooks for years, A5 spiral bound, page for each journey basic info across top of each page:-

Start ode. ____________. Place. Co-ord N______________
Finish ode ____________. Address. W______________
Mileage. ____________. Postcode

Then use each page for any details of that day or short stay that I fancy mentioning, state of traffic, main roads used restaurants, places of interest etc some pages are like a comedy sketch, some are like a travel blog and some I can't read at all cos I've had too much medicine when I've come to write it!

For me it's just a brief aid memoire of the trip with sometimes people I've met, funsters to avoid basic costs added in etc has been handy in the past to see where to park, eat etc on places that we revisit, also gives me something to do rather than watch the tv.

At the back there is a sections for night halts, - one line for each entry with brief details of costs of site, place and facilities,
A section for Fuel. - Date, Start ode, finish ode, litres, cost per litre, miles traveled between fills
A section for gas, with litres cost, number of nights bottle lasted and best guess of use of heating, and also a section for any expenses I want to keep a record of, mainly tolls, oil tyres etc.

Works for me, I get a year or two out of each book and costs virtually nothing, spiral bound that can fold back on itself has proved to be best with a hard backing to stop the pages getting dog eared. I also notice that the entries are getting briefer and briefer as I'm too busy having fun, once fancied writing a travel book but realised it would be more of a "Bars I've visited" type thing. Hope this helps, I shall now sign up for yours @Jim cheers.(y)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

Not another Brexit thread!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993

Quite right @Jim a camel is a horse designed by committee, but alienating 49% of people!! I doubt that somehow, my guess is it's it's free you won't be able to keep up with demand. Oh and can I have two cos I go to lots of places and I write a lot! :D2

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Maybe a section with simple advice on common problems with water/tv/heating/batteries etc.
Regards PeteD.

robanjan

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
wales
Funster No
MH
coach built conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I'm planning on producing an annual handbook for members. It will carry some advertising to cover printing and distribution. Which will mean that it is free to members.

This will take the place of our popular journal which we normally sell. We expect the core of the handbook will be a journal/diary so you can record your travels and the collected handbooks over the years should become treasure troves of memories.

I'm open to suggestions as to what What else might be in the handbook, of course we'll include a rally calendar and we fancy some useful checklists and a motorhome logbook to record when the MOT is due and maintenance etc. Anything else?

If you would like to Receive the Free Journal/Handbook. Then let us know by giving us your address here

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back