External BBQ use with gas bottle (1 Viewer)

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Couldn’t think how to phrase this better! We have an external gas point for a BBQ, and an underslung gas tank. I was wondering if we could convert the BBQ point to take a local gas bottle in case we can’t get lpg? I know lpg is available most places, but we can get through a fair bit if it’s cold, and I’m worried about running out! Is it a daft question??

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
not daft, its what many people do when visiting countries where Autogas isn't available.. what we did in Morocco

gas bottle with a regulator and feed into gas system..

waiting for the nay sayers..

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I’ve done that,but, the problem arises if the connection is not very good. The C&CC frown on it but if you are discreet .(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stonemags76

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
So the gas bottle fitted with a regulator can connect into the external bbq point?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So the gas bottle fitted with a regulator can connect into the external bbq point?
Yes, even the refillable bottle installers at shows do it where lpg isn't available to fill the new bottles.
They simply use one of the customers Calor bottles connected to the BBQ point.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, even the refillable bottle installers at shows do it where lpg isn't available to fill the new bottles.
They simply use one of the customers Calor bottles connected to the BBQ point.
Connected to the filler point I would have thought, with the pipe as suggested above.

Martin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In any case, the OPs question was can they use the BBQ point to feed the gas system.
Of course it can be done in any number of ways but that wasn't the question.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Couldn’t think how to phrase this better! We have an external gas point for a BBQ, and an underslung gas tank. I was wondering if we could convert the BBQ point to take a local gas bottle in case we can’t get lpg? I know lpg is available most places, but we can get through a fair bit if it’s cold, and I’m worried about running out! Is it a daft question??
Yes, your bbq point is after the regulator so the bottle your using would need one fitted. Your bbw point is open to the rest of the Moho system after the fitted regulator that's why you need another one. (y)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Sorry, that would mean filling the new bottle with gas vapour and going through the onboard regulator as well as the bottle regulator.
No bottle regulator needed

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Visit any Spanish campsite and you will see lots of bottles connected in that way...

one point that was raised on a past discussion.. You have a fire, the inspection of the remains shows you had a bottle connected like that. Will your insurance pay out ??? Worst case I know but something to think about.
Sorry, that would mean filling the new bottle with gas vapour and going through the onboard regulator as well as the bottle regulator.

A "Jumbo adaptor" is just a valve and not a regulator.
I use one of these on my Autotrail and feed in via the built in regulator, used it for years.
True that if you use a Spanish regulator on the bottle and then try and go via the onboard regulator it does give problems and it lowers the pressure a lot.

SAM_0960.JPG

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The connector to the filler point does not have a regulator, it's just the van regulator that's used. You must have at least one completely empty bottle for it to work though.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Yes but you need the hose adapter for it and there are two so you will have to know what year your van is to get the right one. E Bay is your friend (y)(y)(y) All i did was connect the BBQ point turn on gas bottle and turn the onboard one off

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No regulator on the bottle feeding the system so you are putting gas at higher pressure into the system you have fitted, doing it the other way every van would have to have a BBQ point before it could have refillables.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Been right through that page and nothing listed for that purpose.
To use the filler point you would need something similar to an LPG pump fill nozzle to fit your filler point... Not feasible.
Page 6, it's called local cylinder connection hose.

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
BBQ point connection is simple, cheap, and safe if the bottle is on a sensible length of hose and can't fall over. If you carry a couple of BBQ connectors you can make up hoses with the appropriate regulator to fit more than one make of bottle if, for example, you are travelling abroad. The van system and BBQ point need no modification.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
oh dear.. and it was such a simple question

tenor.gif

Last edited:

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Would of thought as a lot of places have different bottle fittings best option is a hose fitting for bbq point with hose and then purchase regulator to fit bottle for whatever country you are in.

Thats what i would do

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Would of thought as a lot of places have different bottle fittings best option is a hose fitting for bbq point with hose and then purchase regulator to fit bottle for whatever country you are in.

Thats what i would do
As I suggested in post 21 :D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Thats what i would do

as I suggested in post #2 ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back