EU Pet passport.. latest information?? (1 Viewer)

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Apologies, I haven't digested this whole thread and I have only two functioning brain cells; but, how do you get a passport without the animal? Surely the animal's microchip has to be entered and checked, and then for it to be injected with the rabies stuff? 🐶

see post #433 👍

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We return tomorrow. Taken Ruby to the vet we use in Rochefort for worming tablets.
She did the French pet passport for us last year.
I mentioned the icad requirement and she originally said that it was her mistake and it should have been done originally.

I mentioned that as we cannot stay in France for more than 90 days does this mean it’s not required.

She confirmed that we did not need it and if we did want it we could use the vet address.
Basically it’s only of use to get the dog back if lost in France. If you don’t have it then they can’t contact you.
As Ruby is 12 we decided not to do it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
see post #433 👍
Thank you, rb62 , I had glanced through that and now I've looked more carefully: where does it mention their mutt having a rabies jab? Or did the French vet use the jab details from the AHC? Doesn't seem right to me, but okay, if it worked for them, good luck to them.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you, rb62 , I had glanced through that and now I've looked more carefully: where does it mention their mutt having a rabies jab? Or did the French vet use the jab details from the AHC? Doesn't seem right to me, but okay, if it worked for them, good luck to them.

It will have been on the AHC and can be transferred across,if you find the right vet 👍

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
What doesn't seem right, may I ask?
So once you get an EU pet passport, you can update it by getting your dog / cat / ferret a rabies booster vaccination done by a UK vet? Okay, I didn't know that, thank you.

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
How do you come to that conclusion? (and no you can't BTW)
If I want to BTW I'll BTW. BTW BTW BTW BTW.
My thinking is that if a UK-administered rabies vaccination is okay for a passport to be issued, then surely a UK-administered booster is good enough to update the passport. BTW, here are more pressing things in life, like the price of beer and selecting the numbers for Tuesday's Euromillions. :giggle:

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
My thinking is that if a UK-administered rabies vaccination is okay for a passport to be issued, then surely a UK-administered booster is good enough to update the passport. BTW, here are more pressing things in life, like the price of beer and selecting the numbers for Tuesday's Euromillions. :giggle:

Any entry into an EU issued passport by a UK vet will invalidate it.

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
British Official Veterinarians can no longer issue pet passports or make an entry in an EU, Irish or NI-issued pet passport with the exception of tapeworm or clinical examination details. taken from https://www.goddardvetgroup.co.uk/

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My thinking is that if a UK-administered rabies vaccination is okay for a passport to be issued, then surely a UK-administered booster is good enough to update the passport.
ONLY for use with an Animal Health Certificate, NOT a passport - it cannot be entered into an EU issued passport by a UK vet as that will invalidate the passport immediately.

This is why as we didn't already have EU pet passports we had to get an AHC initially then got EU passports whilst there, it means that every subsequent rabies jab MUST be done in the EU and entered into the passport by the vet there. If you go past the vaccine validity date, even with an EU passport, you'll have to get the jab done in the UK along with paying for another AHC then get an EU vet to put the info in the existing EU passport for you.

In a nutshell the ONLY document that a UK vet can legitimately complete for a pet to travel to the EU is an AHC, they can't do anything at all with an EU issues pet passport.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Just for information purposes.
Just arrived at port Solent for the night.
We crossed from Caen today.
No problems again with Rubys French pet passport sailed through again despite all the rubbish reported about the need for a French address (we don’t have one) or the need for registration on icad (not done that)
Vet was happy passport control were happy. The only ones not happy are us. As we had to come back. Hope this helps
Roll on April

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Whit are you on aboot.

If you want to waste money and have to spend a further 21 days in France then by all means let a UK vet enter details in your dogs eu passport.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Any entry into an EU issued passport by a UK vet will invalidate it.
Uk vets can add regular boosters and vaccinations to EU passports, just not the rabies one. That must be given and signed/stamped by a vet in the EU.
Some people choose to do this so all the vaccinations are on one document.
Some people choose to keep a separate record so the passport doesn’t fill up as quickly and another is needed.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Uk vets can add regular boosters and vaccinations to EU passports, just not the rabies one. That must be given and signed/stamped by a vet in the EU.
Some people choose to do this so all the vaccinations are on one document.
Some people choose to keep a separate record so the passport doesn’t fill up as quickly and another is needed.
The official advice is that UK vets should only complete tapeworm and health check sections of an EU Pet Passport. Booster vaccinations other than rabies are not required in order to use the Pet Passport, so IMO they are best kept on a separate record.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
EU Passport must NOT be altered or added to in any way by a UK Vet, that will invalidate it.
If you need a Rabies Booster it has to be done by an EU Vet!
A UK vet can complete the tapeworm and health check sections but that is all.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Are vets required to do worming for members of the EU returning home? If so they would have to enter info into an EU passport.

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
EU Passport must NOT be altered or added to in any way by a UK Vet, that will invalidate it.
If you need a Rabies Booster it has to be done by an EU Vet!
This brings us round to my initial query (#449) regarding gerry mcg going to France to collect his dog's passport without his dog. The French vet apparently used the UK vet's rabies vaccination data from a previous AHC (even though Minxy stated (#463) that that data was for AHC use only). Following this, my logic is that if you turn up in France (other EU countries are available) then all you need is the animal's vaccination record showing it's been rabies vaccinated and a certificate of good health, to get a passport.
Now I know that that is not possible, so therefore, I suspect that gerry mcg was just lucky in finding a compliant French vet; and I wish him the best of luck.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Are vets required to do worming for members of the EU returning home? If so they would have to enter info into an EU passport.
In the majority of cases no. However, there is the thing about worming being required if travelling direct to Finland, Malta and a couple of other countries.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I would suspect that the UK vet can administer the wormers and therefore sign the passport if your trip is under 5 days duration as well.
We had our pet passport issued in Belgium and she took all the info about rabies booster from AHC, but did want to scan each dog before she wrote them out.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
This brings us round to my initial query (#449) regarding gerry mcg going to France to collect his dog's passport without his dog. The French vet apparently used the UK vet's rabies vaccination data from a previous AHC (even though Minxy stated (#463) that that data was for AHC use only). Following this, my logic is that if you turn up in France (other EU countries are available) then all you need is the animal's vaccination record showing it's been rabies vaccinated and a certificate of good health, to get a passport.
Now I know that that is not possible, so therefore, I suspect that gerry mcg was just lucky in finding a compliant French vet; and I wish him the best of luck.
I think you've missed a couple of relevant points
  1. gerry mcg had presented his dog to the French vet, so the vet saw the dog, and could check the microchip. The only reason the pets passport wasn't completed at the time was because the French registration for the dog hadn't come back from the French authorities, thus the vet was going to wait for the registration detail before completing the PP for Gerry mcg to collect on his next visit.
  2. EU vets can use properly evidenced rabies vaccinations from UK vets as an entry for an EU Pets Passport. The rabies vaccine on an AHC can be used as the rabies vaccine to be entered in a PP by an EU vet.
  3. You can't just turn up with documentation and get an EU Pets Passport. The EU vet has to verify the microchip in the animal.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My response which you cite (see below):

ONLY for use with an Animal Health Certificate, NOT a passport - it cannot be entered into an EU issued passport by a UK vet as that will invalidate the passport immediately.

This is why as we didn't already have EU pet passports we had to get an AHC initially then got EU passports whilst there, it means that every subsequent rabies jab MUST be done in the EU and entered into the passport by the vet there. If you go past the vaccine validity date, even with an EU passport, you'll have to get the jab done in the UK along with paying for another AHC then get an EU vet to put the info in the existing EU passport for you.

In a nutshell the ONLY document that a UK vet can legitimately complete for a pet to travel to the EU is an AHC, they can't do anything at all with an EU issues pet passport.

was in relation to your comment

despicable said:
My thinking is that if a UK-administered rabies vaccination is okay for a passport to be issued, then surely a UK-administered booster is good enough to update the passport

I was not stating that a UK administered jab cannot be used by an EU vet for the purposes of issuing a pet passport, the only reason a UK one is accepted is because it in on an AHC which is an official accepted UK document for travel into the EU, the UK rabies jab on its own would no be recognised.

You seem to have missed the point that the pet in question had been seen by the French vet who was able to do the necessary checks etc in order to get the icad registration and passport sorted for them, they could have waited for the document to be done or as they were returning at a later date chose to collect it then, but the actual PP was done within the AHC 4 month validity period. The original AHC was the document that had the necessary info on which has allowed the EU vet to do the passport, not just a UK administered rabies jab on its own.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Until recently nothing was required to leave the Uk with a eu passport. Now they check the chip in the dog. Why ,I have no idea? Something to make the scheme seem worth it like the need for the worming on return?
You have to remeber that the UK invented the forerunner of the pet passport ,the "pet travel scheme" as the Uk was basically the only country requiring quarantine upon entry . To leave nothing was required.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back