EU Pet passport.. latest information?? (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Or if there was any confusion, they have interpreted it in a precautionary manner ( but there's really no evidence that French vets are confused).
And we're talking about folks who are not residents of France.
Well, you’ve confused me there. :Smile:

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
But why not in France? That is what is not clear. There is so much contradiction on the web about what French vets are and are not ‘allowed’ to do. Is asking for official clarification of just what the rules are really so unreasonable?
Well that does look like a political decision. But not by the vets, IMO.
I don't think its unreasonable to ask for clarification but I'm not expecting the French to change their rules.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Well that does look like a political decision. But not by the vets, IMO.
I don't think its unreasonable to ask for clarification but I'm not expecting the French to change their rules.
The thing is the French ‘Rules’ are unclear from the word go, so it will be difficult to know if they do change. I keep a watching brief on various groups on Facebook (yes I know, but there can be useful or interesting gems amongst the dross). One of the most recent posts cites a French vet saying that the Department of Agriculture have still not provided them with clear rules despite the vets continuing to ask for them. Others have said similar in the past, with there being no updates sent out on any ‘rule‘ changes.

Then you get reports of French vets that have come out with their own version of what they are ‘not allowed’ to do. One of the latest (and more bizarre) was the vet who said he was ‘not allowed’ to issue a Pet Passport to dogs with British microchips. He said that the first three digits of the microchip number denote the country of implantation so he could tell which ones were British. This is true up to a point, in that the first three digits denote some countries but only those that have a single microchip database, such as I-cad in France for which the country code is 250. However, those countries that have more than one microchip database (such as the UK) do not use a country code. Instead the first three digits of their microchips denote the chip manufacturer. So where is the supposed ‘rule’ behind this alleged barrier to the issue of Pet Passports?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Quick update ( all be it late). Obtained EU passport last year in Calais. Checked and double checked the dates re rabies vaccine and microchip. Travelled back to the UK end of October no problem.
June 6th travelled out via Euro Tunnel and no issues at all. Passport now has our UK address in as second address and Calais aire as first.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Quick update ( all be it late). Obtained EU passport last year in Calais. Checked and double checked the dates re rabies vaccine and microchip. Travelled back to the UK end of October no problem.
June 6th travelled out via Euro Tunnel and no issues at all. Passport now has our UK address in as second address and Calais aire as first.
Can you provide the details of the actual vets please, our daughter is looking at obtaining an EU pet passport. Or if anyone can advise of EU vets who have recently issued one, that would be very helpful, thanks.

Apr 17, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Can you provide the details of the actual vets please, our daughter is looking at obtaining an EU pet passport. Or if anyone can advise of EU vets who have recently issued one, that would be very helpful, thanks.
Centre Veterinaire Curie
139 Boulevard Curie
62100 Calais
Doctor Mottoul
Not the cheapest but we just wanted to get it done early on in the holiday. We were not going to Spain so it was availability rather than price. We were turned down by two other vets in Calais prior to this on.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Just had a month in Benidorm and while in a bar just outside Benidorm got talking to a local couple and she happened to be working in the vets in Benidorm just below Raco campsite,

Got talking about the pet passports as we had a dog and looking at possibly getting another. She said that they had been issuing pet passports to British people and taking Raco, Villimar, etc as residences knowing that is not totally right.

Anyway she said that the authorities had spoke to the vets and told to stop issuing pet passports to anyone from Britain without a residency card and a correct address as it was illegal as we had left the EU.
A joke of a vets we took our dog there they said it was sciatic it was a a ligament.

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Its a good job im planning on only using Harwich Hook of Holland in future the Duch are so much more accomodating than Mr Napolians border officals Romanian pet passports sorted.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Centre Veterinaire Curie
139 Boulevard Curie
62100 Calais
Doctor Mottoul
Not the cheapest but we just wanted to get it done early on in the holiday. We were not going to Spain so it was availability rather than price. We were turned down by two other vets in Calais prior to this on.
When did you get the passport please? Price? Straightforward?

Apr 17, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Obtained first week September 2021.
From memory the cost was 75 euros so not cheap but a lot cheaper than an AHC every year.
Very easy to do. The receptionist spoke English to a degree. She took the AHC through to the vet with details also of microchip registration. He filled out a new passport, never asked for an address. He also laminated over the details in the new passport. I checked to make sure the dates were correct and the microchip number was correct and away we came. It has “saved” us about £90 this year based on last years AHC at £160. Don’t forget though next rabies jab has to be in France and a UK vet must NOT write anything in the new passport.

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
btained first week September 2021.
From memory the cost was 75 euros so not cheap but a lot cheaper than an AHC every year.
Very easy to do. The receptionist spoke English to a degree. She took the AHC through to the vet with details also of microchip registration. He filled out a new passport, never asked for an address. He also laminated over the details in the new passport. I checked to make sure the dates were correct and the microchip number was correct and away we came. It has “saved” us about £90 this year based on last years AHC at £160. Don’t forget though next rabies jab has to be in France and a UK vet must NOT write anything in the new passport.
That particular week seems to be the one when even the cooperative vets began to decline to issue as a result of a letter they had received. The vet at la mailleraie had agreed to issue one to me when i arranged an appt for late Sept but policy had changed by appt. date so no passport. I would check with the above vets before altering travel plans to attend to see if they have also changed

Jan 20, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
Has anyone got a pet passport in the last few weeks from the vets in La Zenia that were issuing to people in nearby campsites? I wondered if they were still doing them or have stopped like lots of the French and Belgian ones. If anyone has had one from anywhere else in Spain without having a second home or relatives address to use, please let Funsters know, thanks.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
My wife's Sister lives in France, south of Paris.
The 🇫🇷 vet in Megeve in the French Alps that we use to worm our dog before returning to the 🇬🇧 in Megeve was shocked at the cost of the AHC & offered to register our dog on 🇫🇷 system as we could get the registration certificate sent to a French address ( my wife's Sister).
Once the dog is registered in France, the vet will be able to issue 🇫🇷🇪🇺 pet passport
Cost for registration was €50, and pet passport is €15,

The dog needed to have a physical examination, but she was happy to use the examination that she had to do when she administered the worming tablet and stamped the AHC as that, so no additional charge

the French dog registration certificate arrived in the post yesterday at my Sister in law French address (we were told it would take 3 months, but it has come though in just over 2 weeks) applied for on 23rd July)

We have to send a copy of that to the vet and she can issue 🇫🇷🇪🇺 pet passport 👍.
We will collection that in January in person when we are there ⛷️

The French vet is bilingual and fluent in English, she worked in the UK for 4 years and her husband is British
14D74C5B-A1E1-483A-8667-F578F723D2C5.jpeg

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
My wife's Sister lives in France, south of Paris.
The 🇫🇷 vet in Megeve in the French Alps that we use to worm our dog before returning to the 🇬🇧 in Megeve was shocked at the cost of the AHC & offered to register our dog on 🇫🇷 system as we could get the registration certificate sent to a French address ( my wife's Sister).
Once the dog is registered in France, the vet will be able to issue 🇫🇷🇪🇺 pet passport
Cost for registration was €50,and pet passport is €15,

The dog needed to have a physical examination, but she was happy to use the examination that she had to do when she administered the worming tablet and stamped the AHC as that, so no additional charge

the French dog registration certificate arrived in the post yesterday at my Sister in law French address (we were told it would take 3 months, but it has come though in just over 2 weeks) applied for on 23rd July)

We have to send a copy of that to the vet and she can issue 🇫🇷🇪🇺 pet passport 👍.
We will collection that in January in person when we are there ⛷️

The French vet is bilingual and fluent in English, she worked in the UK for 4 years and her husband is British
View attachment 649529
Interesting. Where on earth did they get the £50 charge for registration from? The I-cad fee for registering an ‘imported’ animal is 9.23€.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why is it that vets who friends use seem to be charging more for stuff than those who don't have any contact with friends? The only thing that I would use a French vet for is worming or non-PP treatment.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Interesting. Where on earth did they get the £50 charge for registration from? The I-cad fee for registering an ‘imported’ animal is 9.23€.
50€ not £50, but point noted. I guess registration fee plus some time filling in form and signing it.
We haven't paid yet. We will settle up when we get her passport I'm January

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Obviously it’s still a bargain compared to the AHC alternative. (y)
But they will need another AHC to be able to take her and collect it.

Jan 20, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
I didn't get any reply to my post asking if anyone had secured a pet passport from the Petsworld vets at La Zenia recently (maybe because I put it in general chat? ) but I have read that Spanish vets now ask for a local address and residents tax number before they can issue a pet passport-does anyone know if that is the case? I was thinking of routing our Spanish trip in October via La Zenia if there was a chance of getting a pet passport for my dog, but probably won't if there have been no recent successes. Has anyone been to La Zenia vets recently?

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I didn't get any reply to my post asking if anyone had secured a pet passport from the Petsworld vets at La Zenia recently (maybe because I put it in general chat? ) but I have read that Spanish vets now ask for a local address and residents tax number before they can issue a pet passport-does anyone know if that is the case? I was thinking of routing our Spanish trip in October via La Zenia if there was a chance of getting a pet passport for my dog, but probably won't if there have been no recent successes. Has anyone been to La Zenia vets recently?
I think you will find that some Spanish vets will want a Spanish address but many won’t. You may need to do a bit of phoning or emailing of individual vets on your proposed route. La Zenia is often mentioned because they will provide 3 year rabies vaccinations, whereas many vets in Spain only offer 1 year vaccinations.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thanks Maz-I have tried emailing but no replies yet-I don't speak any Spanish so have not phoned any vets yet-might have to soon though!
A little Google translate can go a long way. :Smile: The vets themselves will probably speak English but the receptionists may not.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
A little Google translate can go a long way. :Smile: The vets themselves will probably speak English but the receptionists may not.
I often use google translate to contact European vets, usually under the original English, and I am frequently pleased to receive a reply in English

Reactions: maz

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Not La Zenia but got our dog passported in Logrono, N Spain 3 weeks aģo. 60 euros including rabies jab and my UK address on passport.

Reactions: maz

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Just reurned from France on the Euro Tunnel with a new pet passport issued in Belguim no problems just like to thank rb62 for the advice of making sure she stamped and signed the rabies bit.

Can I ask which address was entered in the passport - your UK address or an address in Belgium? The Belgium vet who issued my dog’s pet passport left the address blank but Brittany Ferries, who I’m travelling to Spain with in October, have looked at the passport in advance and have said that an address should be entered. Not sure yet whether to enter my UK address or the place in Belgium we stayed overnight.

Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Can I ask which address was entered in the passport - your UK address or an address in Belgium? The Belgium vet who issued my dog’s pet passport left the address blank but Brittany Ferries, who I’m travelling to Spain with in October, have looked at the passport in advance and have said that an address should be entered. Not sure yet whether to enter my UK address or the place in Belgium we stayed overnight.
It was my home address in the UK like the AHC and old European passport.

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
No we don't.😉
We are going to the 🇫🇷🏔️ in January without the dog, so will pick it up then so we will have it in our possession the next time we travel with the dog to mainland Europe 👍
Apologies, I haven't digested this whole thread and I have only two functioning brain cells; but, how do you get a passport without the animal? Surely the animal's microchip has to be entered and checked, and then for it to be injected with the rabies stuff? 🐶

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Brittany Ferries, who I’m travelling to Spain with in October, have looked at the passport in advance
what is that all about? DFDS ,who I have used for years,have never seen the dogs passport until I check in?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back