EU Pet passport.. latest information?? (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Water still off but MH parking area usable.

We've just been to the vet and it cost us €22 for our 3 using our own tablets, it was just the cost of a standard consultation. The cost per dog using their tablets was €9.
We’re booked in for 23rd May.👍

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Came back via ET today, no problem whatsoever with the PPs we got in Portugal with the worming info entered into it in France, they latter vet completed the AHC too just in case but we didn't need it.

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Hi,
Got a pet passport and rabies jab in ROI last week. No problem. UK address acceptable. Vet left owner details for me to fill.
Just two things for info.
The Irish Vet Assoc has said that immunity is conferred by 30 days fom vaccination, not 21, so factor this in when planning 1st use of passport. I do not know how long before all vets comply with this. It may be due to manufacturers change of product info.
Also, uk eu passport had 21 fields for Echinococcus, the ROI one has 14. Is this 28 page version now standard in Belgium, Portugal etc?
bw
tkk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Hi,
Got a pet passport and rabies jab in ROI last week. No problem. UK address acceptable. Vet left owner details for me to fill.
Just two things for info.
The Irish Vet Assoc has said that immunity is conferred by 30 days fom vaccination, not 21, so factor this in when planning 1st use of passport. I do not know how long before all vets comply with this. It may be due to manufacturers change of product info.
Also, uk eu passport had 21 fields for Echinococcus, the ROI one has 14. Is this 28 page version now standard in Belgium, Portugal etc?
bw
tkk

It's 21 days before entering the EU, 30 days before entering the UK 👍

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
It's 21 days before entering the EU, 30 days before entering the UK 👍
True but not the issue. When they give the vaccine the date "valid from" entered on the passport is 30 days from vaccine date. This means it is not considered valid for anywhere until the valid from date is reached.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
True but not the issue. When they give the vaccine the date "valid from" entered on the passport is 30 days from vaccine date. This means it is not considered valid for anywhere until the valid from date is reached.

Maybe the Irish have their own rules but for UK..

343817D0-5955-45B6-9538-BC6DFA6E1EF8.jpeg

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
The rule apparently now is that ROI vets must now enter an effective (valid) from date 30 days after they give the rabies vaccine. Any official looking at the passport presented before that date and seeing that date is more likely to reject that passport than calculate the date that the EU accepts (21 days). It would be a sporting chance to take. This change seems to have occurred in recent weeks. All ROI vets may not be upto date with this yet. It does not change the accepted 21 days in that notice you attachement, just the validity date on the new passport. Also it will only affect people needing to use the passport between 21 and 30 days after vaccination, probably not many. It may sway any who have a small time residue on existing Uk passport or other record to persuade vet to transfer it to new EU passport and get the vaccine later on the due interval to cover this early use. If the new vaccine is the first on the passport the above problem occurs. I am in this situation as I wasnt told about the new 30 day change until the jab was given and entered. Ill talk to Pet control at Portsmouth/Calais to see if they will take a 21 day interval rather than the entered valid from date. Im not hopeful so probably will need the last ever AHC.

Jan 13, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
New to Motorhome, experienced caravanner 😊
We obtained two pet passports from Dr Jaucot in Belgium with no problem at all.
She copied over the rabies detail from our older dogs UK pet passport and from the younger dogs vaccination card. Wormer all filled in too.

Interestingly she did not have a clue how to complete the AHC, she obviously would much rather deal with PP’s.

She left the address detail for us to complete.

We are due to return via the tunnel tomorrow. Should I complete the address part with our home address (Scotland) or leave it blank? Surely the most important part is that the dogs have had all the correct treatments/vaccinations!

Thanks! 🐾

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just had two dogs, ours and MHF friends, to vet in Donegal for passports. Set up for us by an Irish Funster, no hassle although they were pleased we had a bona fide Irish address - we didn't ask why. Friends dog rabies out of date so needed jab but they would have accepted ours - if our vet had dated, signed and stamped the entry which we hadn't spotted. Lucky we haven't had the chance to use it or we would have been stuffed.
€68.35 per doggy. Very happy after being quoted £250 by our vet for AHC.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
She copied over the rabies detail from our older dogs UK pet passport and from the younger dogs vaccination card. Wormer all filled in too.

Interestingly she did not have a clue how to complete the AHC, she obviously would much rather deal with PP’s.

We are due to return via the tunnel tomorrow. Should I complete the address part with our home address (Scotland) or leave it blank? Surely the most important part is that the dogs have had all the correct treatments/vaccinations!

Thanks! 🐾
We went through the tunnel last week with our 2 jacks pet passports obtained from Dr Christine last November, lovely lady at pet control just looked at them gave me a scanner to scan them and then we were off.
We walked straight in pet control and back out in less than 5 minutes.

Have booked Dr Christine again for worming tablet next month when we return home.

We have our home address on the pet passport👍

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If it was me I would fill in my home address. It really doesn’t matter what address is in it tho’ as you can change it at any time. My dog’s French pet passport has a UK address in it and has been through the Tunnel both ways with no problems.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Just had two dogs, ours and MHF friends, to vet in Donegal for passports. Set up for us by an Irish Funster, no hassle although they were pleased we had a bona fide Irish address - we didn't ask why. Friends dog rabies out of date so needed jab but they would have accepted ours - if our vet had dated, signed and stamped the entry which we hadn't spotted. Lucky we haven't had the chance to use it or we would have been stuffed.
€68.35 per doggy. Very happy after being quoted £250 by our vet for AHC.
Which vet did you use in Donegal? I used Carn vets 3 weeks ago and they put 30 days into the passport and checked with me when I would be using it next. They were also happier with me having an ROI address.

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Our 2 pooches got an EU passport in Romania on route to Turkey last month £10 per dog the vet tf the uk rabies jab over in to the new pet passports so going back next month stopping off for the worming treatment and have the passports stamped

Reactions: maz

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Thanks! 🐾
Just put your home address on, that's what the vet in Portugal did and we sailed through PP control at ET.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Which vet did you use in Donegal? I used Carn vets 3 weeks ago and they put 30 days into the passport and checked with me when I would be using it next. They were also happier with me having an ROI address.
Old Church Vets in Doonan, just north of Donegal. Their main surgery is in Ballyshannon but Donegal is easy parking.

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Hi,
probably should have included details of where and how much for passport in ROI
All Creatures Vets, Roscommon town, passport and rabies for Euro 75.
All Creatures are a group so will have branches in other towns. They have no issue with address at present.
Note tho the 30 day period before valid date as with Red Sonja in Donegal

• Informative
Reactions: maz

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
btw should have said All Creatures are part of a group XL Vets Ireland (also includes Carn Vets, Donegal) seem to have branches all over ROI.

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We got a Spanish passport for Tilly yesterday. The vet wasn't sure to start with, but reassured when Dave's Spanish cousin explained that it was acceptable across Europe, (we didnt mention France!) She completed the passport with info from the AHC but didn't complete the rabies vaccine section, just photocopied our proof of vaccine & put it with the passport.
I'm unsure about this & was just wondering if your vets have transposed the rabies info across or if a separate proof is accepted? We do have the original as well as the photocopy.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We got a Spanish passport for Tilly yesterday. The vet wasn't sure to start with, but reassured when Dave's Spanish cousin explained that it was acceptable across Europe, (we didnt mention France!) She completed the passport with info from the AHC but didn't complete the rabies vaccine section, just photocopied our proof of vaccine & put it with the passport.
I'm unsure about this & was just wondering if your vets have transposed the rabies info across or if a separate proof is accepted? We do have the original as well as the photocopy.
Our Portugal vet put the rabies info in the new passports - I'm not sure if they are valid without it being entered into them. You could go back to the vet and ask him to put it in or when you go for worming get the vet to do it then if he/she will, I'd do the former.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
For a Pet Passport to be valid it has to have the rabies vaccination details signed and stamped by an EU Official Vet. Some vets will transfer over rabies vaccination details from an AHC - in which case make sure that the vet enters the date of implantation of the microchip in the front of the passport. Other vets will only sign and stamp rabies vaccination details if they have administered the vaccine themselves - in which case the date of reading of the microchip is fine.

Unfortunately, a separate proof of vaccination is not acceptable.

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks both. We are not able to go back to that vets as we are heading onwards tomorrow. It would concern me to wait until she needs warming in case that vet won't do it. I may try and find a vet who speaks English, or use Google translate i suppose, in the next 2 weeks & ask if they will give her a rabies booster which will then be entered in the correct place. Her original rabies jab was in Feb this year & valid for 3 years. Do you know if its possible to give the booster early?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks both. We are not able to go back to that vets as we are heading onwards tomorrow. It would concern me to wait until she needs warming in case that vet won't do it. I may try and find a vet who speaks English, or use Google translate i suppose, in the next 2 weeks & ask if they will give her a rabies booster which will then be entered in the correct place. Her original rabies jab was in Feb this year & valid for 3 years. Do you know if its possible to give the booster early?
Yes she can have it again without a problem, just make sure that it's a 3-year one and not a 1 or 2 year one that some countries/areas do.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I was originally very much against my dog having an unnecessarily early rabies booster but I was one of the first of the British contingent to get a French pet passport and the vet was unsure as to whether they could transfer the rabies info over. From what I’ve read most dogs have no problem with an early booster - in fact I remember when my dog was a puppy it was normal for them to be given two rabies vaccinations at 3-week intervals.

However something to bear in mind is that there have been a few posts on Facebook (yes, I know, but it is possible to pick up the odd useful bit of information on there amongst all the dross) about vets refusing to give early rabies boosters. I think these were Spanish vets but I wouldn’t swear to that. So be sure to check with the vet before booking an appointment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back