driving to spain (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just paid £661 oneway only to Santander in may, should have been more, but a very kind funster allowed to use his club voyage. That's for a 9.5m RV. Saves about 800 miles on a trip to Portugal.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I believe on some of the ferries to spain the vehicle deck is open to a point which means that the salt spray that gets picked up enroute will get in all the nooks and crannys on the motorhome you also wont get rid of it all easily so peoples pride and joy has been given a nice kickstart to help corrosion begin.

That may be the case only on cheaper ferry but i dont really know that is my view and another reason i would not use a ferry to spain - only ever use dover or newhaven crossing but those ferries are enclosed

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Living only an hour from the Shuttle , it is the obvious choice. Did once get a quote for the Long Ferry but at 1200£ return I soon lost interest as we are at least 3 hours from Pompie. Herself is a very poor sailor and woul not go from Portsmouth at any cost. Problem is that you have to book the crossings so far ahead. I only book the Shuttle two or three days ahead going out and the day before on return . Never a problem. Currently en route to Javea and now in the Camper parking at Curenena South of Zarogoza. Will be there about 2pm tomorrow. Used toll section A16, then N154 , N10 , picked up the toll motorway around Tours and Poitiers, Toll road Bordeaux , SanSebastian to Zarogoza .
Costs ex Auto pista Valencia to Denia,
£50.00 Fuel and Crossing Costs £285.00. (Frequent Traveller rates). The speed and overtaking restrictions on the N10 and A63 are a right pain as we are a 5ton tag . For reference we used an unreviewed Search for Sites Aire at Pissos 5 minutes from the A63 south of Bordeaux . Good find worth noting flat level parking behind the Church , Shops all nearby and service point. You get a 7.00 wake up call as the faithful are summoned to worship! All 3 overnight stops were free!
Having watched the maiden voyage of the Ocean Princess last night it put me off Cruise Ships for life! Fuel return 24.mpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
can anyone tell me the cheapest way to drive to spain in july ie ferry drive threw france was looking at ferry in the motorhome and its like a thousand pounds . thanks
Your answer is here. Safe Travels.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total) (Fuel costs approx. €147.84 (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also here are Repsol fuel stations and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

One of the best off line MAP ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Finally, for those looking for a data sim card for their ‘mifi’ unit or tablet (WiFi) this is the best deal in the UK and possibly the best deal in the whole of the E.U. at this moment in time. A massive 50GB of 4g data for only £30.00 a month on a monthly rolling contract. Cancel the contract after two months to get the full 3 months usage throughout the whole of the E.U. Other options also available.

(Tip!) (Go on their online ‘Web Chat’ and ask them to confirm the contract starts when you activate the sim and if they agree (they did with me) keep a copy of the Web Chat that they will email to you, otherwise the contract will start from the day your order the sim card). After two months contact customer services by phone and cancel the contract by giving them 30 days’ notice. This prevents their fair play usage kicking in after 3 months and you paying through your nose for Wi-Fi. If they say the contract started from when you made the order contact the complaints number and they will honour the agreement made with the Chat agent! (UK number is 03333 041 524 (standard call charges apply, they will even call you back if you ask them and they are very helpful)). The Wi-Fi coverage is exceptional.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/

Vodaphone APN settings for an unlocked MiFi.

https://search.vodafone.co.uk/search?proxystylesheet=default_frontend&q=APN+settings&x=0&y=0

Nov 22, 2014
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Do not own one, but I dri
Exp
I`m a newbie
For me,thats not a holiday, but each to their own

I have driven to Spain and back (from Wirral) twice each year for the past 13 years.I too enjoy driving and treat it as part of my holiday.
I normally am accompanied by a co-driver(s) who also enjoy the pleasure of the open road and the bon homie of the evening meal.
When (and if) on my own I am always accompanied by Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard,Kate Wolf and friends.
Every once in while I am accompanied by The Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra !!
We are each different indeed.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Ferry or overland? It may depend on what time you have available. I want to take 5 months and that means I have time to explore en-route. There are so very many exciting places to discover overland. What do you see going by sea, you see the sea.

Nov 22, 2014
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Do not own one, but I dri
Exp
I`m a newbie
Ferry or overland? It may depend on what time you have available. I want to take 5 months and that means I have time to explore en-route. There are so very many exciting places to discover overland. What do you see going by sea, you see the sea.

I travel in my 16 year old E C lass diesel estate through France and Spain, travelling 1650 miles in four days. I average approx 400 miles daily.
On one of my direct routes,I stop in Normandie, then near to Angouleme, then Aranda de Duero with a final drive to my holiday home in Axarquia.

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
Just paid £661 oneway only to Santander in may

Not the same route, I know, but may be of interest. Just booked return journey from Igoumenitsa to Ancona & back - leaving February, returning April. 'Camping on Board' with inside cabin and 30% discount off meals & drinks in the restaurant - €408 total.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Just cost me £78.40 including wife and dog newhaven - dieppe one way including 20% discount later this month daylight robbery dog cant even stretch his legs on ferry or have meal or drink

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just cost me £78.40 including wife and dog newhaven - dieppe one way including 20% discount later this month daylight robbery dog cant even stretch his legs on ferry or have meal or drink
Thats as cheap as Dover Calais and a much longer crossing,,i reckon thats cheap,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Total toll costs for us in a 3.5t 7.5m MH from Benidorm to Gemozac France via Zaragoza, Pamplona, Biaritz, Bordeaux.

Spanish tolls 49.71e
French tolls 22.80e
Total tolls 72.51e

To Benidorm fuel + toll Valencia and Benidorm 154.83e - 0.16e per km - 11.94 L/100km - 23.76 mpg - 994kms
Return all toll roads 247.92e - 0.24e per km - 13.43 L/100km - 21.13 mpg - 1031kms

We had an overnight on the way to Benidorm which incurred a cost of 25 euros whilst the return was done in one hit of 14 hours with a one hour break. Speed to Benidorm was max 95kph, frequently at 80kph or below, whilst the return was mostly at 95-100kph

These are costs incurred between 21/12/2018 and 03/01/2019.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Almost everyone who does the drive through France comparison forget a couple of things.

Wear and tear. Depreciation.

I know we get comments like...

My vans old
Doesn’t bother me
It’s not that much.

Etc.

I have read all the replies to this an a lot of other discussions on the pros and cons of different routes.

Yes, it’s great if you live near Euro tunnel and shop at Tesco. Live in France or have all the time in the world.

I fly when I have to.

But I have driven the routes down through Spain in bangers, motorhome ridiculously fast cars and vans. Travelled most ferry routes before eurotunnel was completed. For over 30 years. And I’ll bet some can claim double that on here.

I’ve slept on floors, beaches, in cars, 5 star hotels, camped - you name it.

There is no one size fits all on these trips.

I am not trying to be a smart 4rse. Know all or been there done that.

Just seems many travelers claim their route is best.

I’ve pointed out what is best for us at the time when I give calculations. But I never claim is the ultimate and cheapest for everyone.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Thats as cheap as Dover Calais and a much longer crossing,,i reckon thats cheap,,BUSBY,,
I'm about 25 mls west of newhaven so easy option if price is sensible - dover is 100 mls for me and 2 hrs travelling depending on traffic and i save fuel on otherside as well if going to spain

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Almost everyone who does the drive through France comparison forget a couple of things.

I know we get comments like...

My vans old
Doesn’t bother me
It’s not that much.

Etc.

I have read all the replies to this an a lot of other discussions on the pros and cons of different routes.

Yes, it’s great if you live near Euro tunnel and shop at Tesco. Live in France or have all the time in the world.

I fly when I have to.

But I have driven the routes down through Spain in bangers, motorhome ridiculously fast cars and vans. Travelled most ferry routes before eurotunnel was completed. For over 30 years. And I’ll bet some can claim double that on here.

I’ve slept on floors, beaches, in cars, 5 star hotels, camped - you name it.

There is no one size fits all on these trips.

I am not trying to be a smart 4rse. Know all or been there done that.

Just seems many travelers claim their route is best.

I’ve pointed out what is best for us at the time when I give calculations. But I never claim is the ultimate and cheapest for everyone.
As my DAD used to say ,,the best route anywhere is the one you know,,,Good job we don't all use the same roads to Spain isn't it,,BUSBY,,

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No

Only going to quote on this part of your post - if van is on the deck in the open what about all the salty water spray which the van is going to accumulate in the chassis and everywhere it is ideal enviroment to ensure a good start for corrosion - you can hose van off but you will never get rid of all the salty residue

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Only going to quote on this part of your post - if van is on the deck in the open what about all the salty water spray which the van is going to accumulate in the chassis and everywhere it is ideal enviroment to ensure a good start for corrosion - you can hose van off but you will never get rid of all the salty residue

I would guess, not as bad as driving on salted UK/European roads. Behind 40 ton trucks chucking salted grit all over you at the same time.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I would guess, not as bad as driving on salted UK/European roads. Behind 40 ton trucks chucking salted grit all over you at the same time.
That is unavoidable and i was thinking more with a bit of wind on a boat even in summer the salty water spray will get everywhere.
Not having a pop at your whole statement either - i'm just saying that is my view of the ferry probably only the cheaper ferry but i've never used them and we all can make our own decision on what suits us best

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
May I ask where you got the 20% Discount from please?
Over 60s ring newhaven ferry terminal direct it is an 0800 no
NEWHAVEN - DIEPPE CONTACT INFORMATION
Query Telephone Email Address Opening Times
Make a booking
UK - 0800 917 1201
INT - +33 23214 4729

newhaven-dieppe@dfds.com Mon - Fri: 8am - 6pm
Sat: 8am - 4pm
Sun: Closed
Online assistance UK - 0800 917 1201
INT - +33 23214 4729 newhaven-dieppe@dfds.com Mon - Fri: 8am - 6pm
Sat: 8am - 4pm
Sun: Closed
Group enquiries UK - 0800 917 1201
INT - +33 23214 6858 resagroupes@dfds.com Mon - Fri: 8am - 5pm

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
thanks guys just been looking at the prices a grand just for the ferry is mad think ill stick to france thanks anyway friends

Based on my 6mL x 2.4mH vauxhall Movano, I have never paid more than £160 Dover-Calais ret. I use the non-toll roads - and there is a great deal of it on the route to SP which is free. The A20 goes south for about 30% of the journey thru' FR, free. Then, cross country on the main roads to cross into SP at Biarritz - use the toll m/ways to get round the Biarritz/Irun mess. They are very cheap.

Then, if heading for the Med coast, Pamplona-Zaragoza-Teruel-Valencia. The A23 from Zaragoza to Valencia is all free.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Not the same route, I know, but may be of interest. Just booked return journey from Igoumenitsa to Ancona & back - leaving February, returning April. 'Camping on Board' with inside cabin and 30% discount off meals & drinks in the restaurant - €408 total.
We’ve done that route a few times as we keep a boat in the Ionian. Last year we went out to work on the boat for March and arrived in Ancona in worst snow storms they’d had in 6yrs. The port was closed and the next ferry wasn’t going to leave for a couple of days so we got a refund and drove down to Bari, booking the ferry for the next day on the way. The snow ploughs were working overtime keeping the main roads clear and the police were checking everyone had either snow tyres or chains. If they didn’t they weren’t allowed to proceed.

When we drive to Spain or Greece we consider the journey through France as part of the holiday, not something to be endured and rushed through as quickly as possible. If we worried about the cost of the wear and tear etc why would we bother to go anywhere, or even have bought the motor home in the first place? It’s a tool to be used.
But each to their own.

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
My first trip over the water was driving a Bedford VAL like the one in the film 'The Italian Job' in 1967 with fifty two passenger sat behind me. It was OK as they didn't know the route to Interlaken either.
I've been doing crossings from all the UK ports to all continental ports in all manner of vehicles.
I did find the P&O were the best on the Biscay route but since they were taken over by some oil rich conglomerate we have had to use Brittany Ferries.
We do the run from our home here in Garstang to our home in Cervera del Maestre four time a year and do not use toll at all. It goes against the grain. However, through a touch of age related issues we had to cancel our ferries this year, due to the fact of booking as soon as the timetables are announced to 'Club Voyage' members and finding we were unable to guarantee being in rude enough health to enjoy the crossings. This being so when everything became clear with coughs and colds (If only it had been so simple) etc. we booked the tunnel. Bloody grand. Drove down to the tunnel, doddle, and then just used the ordinary pot holed roads, that we are now so accustomed to, through France and then into Spain. It was lovely.
It took us four days with three overnights.
Now, here a thing, we've been members of the 'Club Voyage' since Brittany Ferries started the routes to Spain. Guess what? I'll not be a member anymore. We loved everything about just following our noses and it reminded me of all the journeys I did in the coaches to Europe and North Africa in by-gone times. I'll be seventy five this year and am still looking forward to each and every trip we make.
Happy New Year everyone.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Bit like stopping on a beach site then,, Should think it does as much harm as the salt on British roads in the winter,,BUSBY,,,,

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Bit like stopping on a beach site then,, Should think it does as much harm as the salt on British roads in the winter,,BUSBY,,,,
Think what you want fella i know what i think and will stay with my views that an open ferry is not where i would intentionally stick my van i'd rather drive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back