Dealer / Manufacturer cop out, where do I stand? (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My thinking different the factory in a nice area plenty to do and see for a break we where there last year visiting hymer and carthago. It's not as if your satisfied is it. Many get referred to factory for fixes that dealers can't handle it's very common. While TW are not a dealer I would use because of their outrageous prices. I think just because this matter beyond them some of the criticism harsh. it's not as if they supplied the van in the first place? I would try supplying dealer if not prepared to go direct to hymer....

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I posted once before about an overheard (not by me) conversation between I believe a Hella rep and a Hymer rep advising about not fitting the light unit under stress (which it apparently was at one point) and Hymer replacing these lights FOC, as they were shattering, I believe the light was then modified by Hella which may be the reason for said bulge when the unit it is fitted into older vans. I would assume they would have a record of this. It seems that it's all to do with the part/light serial number. There are many threads on many forums about Hymer lights shattering for no apparent reason, I was lucky in the sense that Hymer agreed to replace mine (it has to be said with the assistance of Travelworld) under Warranty.

This is of course no use to David, but I am serious when I say buy some shares and go to the AGM. A well constructed, in depth letter of complaint to the Chief Executive often works wonders. Of course ignoring these problems is far cheaper than a recall because of faulty workmanship, let's hope no one dies or is injured as a result of an exploding Hymer light, although then Hymer might do something!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Judge Mental

supplying dealer to first owner was Hymer UK, frustratingly no longer trading in the UK

the Carthago association makes the Germany trip more tempting, really got a downer on Hymer :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
one toll free overnight and your there..As said its in a lovely area. Re Carthago if you pay the ridiculous UK prices that's no guarantee of anything...out of the pot into the fire springs to mind.They may not have the headlight issue but have their own issues. and why I was actually going for Hymer until health got in the way ( visited both last summer on way to Italy). I'm surprised no enterprising company has not come out with a headlight conversion kit for these bonkers headlights.

I like clousure I'm afraid and would go to the horses head and find out for definite what is going on. I would go to an MOT station and get headlight checked for alignment for one thing and either live with it or forget and enjoy the van not throw good money after bad:)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Calais,+France/Erwin+Hymer+Museum,+Robert-Bosch-Straße+7,+88339+Bad+Waldsee/@49.5469965,3.6822776,7z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x47dc3f75d7f1e363:0xacbed9e08cd279f4!2m2!1d1.858686!2d50.95129!1m5!1m1!1s0x479bb9aeee53f263:0x2c8febb477961e8a!2m2!1d9.759615!2d47.937198

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Judge Mental in my own away I have created my own closure

The headlight alignment will be my next thing to do, I posted higher up that they seemed to be low on the newly fitted side, if anything the change Terry made would have lifted them very slightly

I am presuming that the alignment was not checked or corrected as part the fitting by TW and that now I have 'modified' the body work any subsequent issues with alignment will be down to me, nothing we have done will have affected anything as the light is still held in place by the same three fixing points

But it needs checking and almost certainly adjusting, getting close to the final chapter, provided the towing eye cover is supplied FOC that will then be my last EVER dealing with TW

The end (nearly) :)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Glad it is sort of sorted, at the end of the day you have a light that works, shouldn't fall out and looks ok.

Unsurprised at TW we found them very tricky to deal with as well (I had to practice anger management after each interaction with them), I learnt to check everything twice and always get it in writing. But I'm really surprised at them stating they have issues with dealing with Hymer I would have thought they would have a really good relationship as they are a solely Hymer Corp. operation (selling N+B, Hymer and Carado even GoldSchmitt), with great premises and good marketing. So the whole Hymer line sounds like bull basically as it is not one of their vans and it is not an N+B they are not willing to spend any time on it.

Go and see Carthago City fantastic operation really wind yourself up with some lovely vans and visit the Hymer museum it is interesting. Alternatively, just use the van for what it is intended touring Scotland or finding a nice stop near a decent restaurant.(y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Might be a side issue to @DavidG58 's problems with TW and Hymer but the term "exploding headlight" had been used a few times.
I gather from this that the glass shatters as a side window in a vehicle would and does not literally explode.
This is what happens to tempered/toughened glass and used to happen to windscreens before successful lamination was preferred for safety .

Headlights have in the past been produced from annealed/untoughened glass and if stressed or hit by a stone would crack but not shatter and remained functional until replaced although would probably fail an mot.

It may well be that a move by light manufacturers to use tempered glass could lead to further problems in the future as being experienced by Hymer/Hella.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
There is a bar on the back of the head light which alters the dip etc. This might only be left to right ( as in uk or Europe)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry David I missed the question.
NO new headlights are nowhere near pre set that would be impossible given the variation in mounting points
they arrive in all maner of states and need to set after fitting
G

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
@Judge Mentalnow I have 'modified' the body work any subsequent issues with alignment will be down to me
Have you informed your insurers that you have "modified the body work";)

As Geo has said, Motorhomes are low volume hand made, and no two vans are the same. Often a pile of compromises, often a pile of issues waiting to happen

Windscreens, wiper assemblies, light clusters often harvested from commercial vehicles which may or may not be available in ten years time.

Hardly a day goes by, without us having to modifiy something to make it fit, often the same as happened when the motorhomewas converted, they're not made perfect you know lol

Packing something out to make it level or square, filing something down or fabricating an extra bracket or two to strengthen something

But these installations aren't cause for discussion, sure it may be chewed over in the workshop, or "last time we had one of these in we had to...." But it's just part of working on Motorhomes, people's pride and joy, that just want us to install things on or fixing

In most cases, if the owners could do it themselves, they would, so the fact that they are paying us means they want it done

So no point in us not making it work, some how!

There is a sign in our old workshop, I put up years ago " There are no such things as problems, just larger invoices" lol

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Love it, going to nick that one Eddie
"While your fitting in dash mounted Navigation system, would it be a problem to fix my tow bar" lol

Just just need to point at the sign:LOL:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sorry David I missed the question.
NO new headlights are nowhere near pre set that would be impossible given the variation in mounting points
they arrive in all maner of states and need to set after fitting
G

Is this something I could book in with you to get done? Not quite sure what services you provide, but have seen you are only down the road from me? (y)

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
David, I'm sorry to read of your saga and glad it's now sorted.

Am I the only person tempted to go to the Travelworld stand at Peterborough and ask them if they know how to fit Hymer headlights? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Am I the only person tempted to go to the Travelworld stand at Peterborough and ask them if they know how to fit Hymer headlights? :rolleyes:

I would imagine it is going through the minds of many on here, but what would they really gain, its the kind of thing I would have done a few years ago, then soon after found out they are the only suppliers of something I need to buy :LOL:

Deep down they must surely know they haven't dealt with this very well, however much they try and twist the blame, my hope is they have learnt from it for someone else not to suffer the same fate

But the fact that the MD hasn't even acknowledged my email says a lot to me, even if they are busy at Peterborough :(

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Glad it is sorted, well almost as alignment needed and guess wouldn't pass MOT until done.

Certainly WILL NOT BE USING TRAVELWORLD!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Send the MD a link to this thread!

He also pays to advertise on here so may not be in the best interests of all (y)

Whilst he maybe needs to be aware, if this is going on under his control he probably already knows, maybe they really just don't care

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Whats the point asking, They will say YES but we know different. Don't we(y)

Martin

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If you have sent an email to the MD he MIGHT be getting his minions to fully investigate the situation, why not send another email asking how he is getting on with his investigations!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I believe one of his "minions" has responded as posted previously by David.

I get the impression that David wants to put this down to experience and move on, and to honest I don't blame him, life is too short, says he who has spent a year and a half trying to re-educate BMW quality control and to date has had two £50k cars replaced FOC as they were substandard (we have moved on now as well) banging and brick wall comes to mind!

Martin

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I believe one of his "minions" has responded as posted previously by David.

I get the impression that David wants to put this down to experience and move on, and to honest I don't blame him, life is too short, says he who has spent a year and a half trying to re-educate BMW quality control and to date has had two £50k cars replaced FOC as they were substandard (we have moved on now as well) banging and brick wall comes to mind!

Martin

Quite right lifes too short and us little guys will never beat the big guys what eats us up takes 5 minutes of their day at most.
The reason I have a downer on Mercedes after 7 new E class cars plus running 4 Merc trucks they sold me 2 new death trap cars and weren't prepared to do a thing. Their attitude was the same as Hymer and Travelworld in this case.
Made some noises but in reality did nothing.
Far better off dealing with smaller family type companies at least you've got half a chance.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I would agree regarding Merc I have posted on Fun before

I bought a brand new GL420 Mercedes and the seven speed gearbox was awful, Merc buggered around for a while and then labelled the problem a "known fault" which meant that they no longer bothered to try to find a cure for it, instead they changed their statement to rad that it is a "characteristic" of the gearbox and a known fault!

Changed straight back to V8 Landcruisers

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Far better off dealing with smaller family type companies at least you've got half a chance

I may be wrong, but I think Travel World are a family company (although not small.)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back