Dealer / Manufacturer cop out, where do I stand? (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That bit about 'lack of knowledge' of what they are selling can be applied to many of the dealerships in the UK. Agree there are one or two exceptions but IMO the majority may as well be selling kitchens.
You are right there, the Lady on The SD stand selling Concordes at the NEC told us that the fresh water went in the Alde exhaust outlet, her second offer was the diesel tank and then she gave up and got a man who didn't know much more. We walked away shaking our heads.

Martin

Reactions: Jim

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
When I decided to buy a euramobil in 2007 UK dealers where Brownhills. It took 5 minutes conversation to realise they did not have a clue as to what they where selling.......they where simply winging it and charging £15000 for the same van I bought in Belgium from a proper dealer with excellent attentive service:rolleyes:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
You know, thinking about it. The dealer should have contacted Hymer and told them of the circumstances and Hymer should have flown out a fully qualified and trained engineer. It's not as if we are talking of a £50 Chinese Android tablet.

The industry is rife with cowboys making a quick buck. There are only a handful of top dealers and repairers etc. John Cross Motorhome, Eddie vanbit, Venture Caravans,Conrad Anderson,Wokingham Rapido and @Terry the rest ain't worth spitting on if they were ablaze.

I include some well known names on MHF, I cant/won't name them.

I'm off to clean the Rapido. It's sunny.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Glad you got your headlamp sorted at last but I think this thread has been one of the most depressing I've read for a long time.
For the money spent both on the Hymer and on a replacement lamp one would expect top quality service not back street bodge jobs.
Travelworld and Hymer should be ashamed of their customer 'service' and have done their reputations no favours.

Richard.

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
I know many Niesmann + Bishchoff owners get there servicing done at N&B in Polch rather than going to Travelworld. I have heard so many horror stories about TW you wouldn't believe it.

Dill

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If you want to have some fun and vent and get a bit of your own back, buy a few shares in Hymer and Travelworld (If they are limited companies) go to the AGM and bring the matter up under any other business... A consumer perspective, they don't like it up em you know:)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
it has been a real shame, it all started off so well with TW, but their refusal to accept that it wasn't fitted right is madness, in fairness supported by Hymer, whose reaction I actually find the worst bit

an interesting outstanding issue I have remembered this weekend, I ordered from TW, while having the light changed, a replacement cover for the towing eye (lost in France, covered on another thread) just under £30 another rip off, but it does come colour coded

anyway, when I had to go back to have the light fitted properly, (as in at least in the right place) they agreed to send me the part FOC in lieu of the fuel I paid to do the extra 150 mile round trip, that was my suggestion but works out better for them than me, the part was due in to them the week before last and was going to be posted

hopefully they will not now be as silly about this, tomorrow we will find out

I will send them the result of Terry's modification, hopefully they will forward it back to Hymer

Then see about the cover plate

and will I get any reply from my email already sent to the MD

I remain open minded :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Lenny

You are right it was a simple mod that a lot of us would have done ourselves BUT David chose to pay a Hymer workshop to do it, and they failed miserably so after paying to not have the job done he had to bite the bullet and do it himself anyway, with the help of a Terry.

Martin
I agree I had forgotten David was paying them to fit it, they must be incompetent idiots.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
So it was the Van that was wrong:LOL:
Seriously
Now I have a full understanding and a better picture of the fault. I am even More disgusted with Travel World's total lack of interest and their workshops lack of imagination and or skills
We, even as a small family Garage have rectified hundreds yes hundreds of what we shall call Manufacturing hic ups without the customer ever knowing.

Im sure ANY Reputable workshop worth its salt has done the same.
I can say with 101% confidence that if any of the workshops regularly present on here and I include all of the skilled DIYers this problem would
never have seen daylight.
Double shame on you Traveleworld
Geo
A very dishearten fellow trader, who will not be recommending your services ever again. Pathetic!!!!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks @Geo I was doubting my own sanity

Drove it home from Terry's in the dark on Saturday, the new light seems to be pointing rather low, in reality we have never yet driven in the dark, or certainly not with such a critical eye when we have

Would you expect to have to set up / adjust a brand new light fitting? Possibly another oversight, the bodywork mod would if anything have tipped it up slightly so that is not an excuse

Last edited:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
So it was the Van that was wrong:LOL:
Seriously
Now I have a full understanding and a better picture of the fault. I am even More disgusted with Travel World's total lack of interest and their workshops lack of imagination and or skills
We, even as a small family Garage have rectified hundreds yes hundreds of what we shall call Manufacturing hic ups without the customer ever knowing.

Im sure ANY Reputable workshop worth its salt has done the same.
I can say with 101% confidence that if any of the workshops regularly present on here and I include all of the skilled DIYers this problem would
never have seen daylight.
Double shame on you Traveleworld
Geo
A very dishearten fellow trader, who will not be recommending your services ever again. Pathetic!!!!
I agree to some point but given the cost of the headlight I would also be a little reluctant to alter either lamp/bodywork just in case it goes again, giving Hymer the opportunity to refuse a claim based on design alteration
I would have preferred/insisted TW did the mod, pretty sure they do have capable fitters, it's not to far south

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
All of this could have been sorted at Chester but David bottled out :LOL:Martin @funflair Jock @JockandRita and myself had the light out and my cordless grinder at the ready :D:D:D I believe he wanted to air on the side of caution and take it back to TW and let them do it only to be told that is how it fits -I may be wrong but I think David took it back hence bringing it to me :) No doubt he will be along to clarify ;)
terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You are quite right, of course, but if my memory serves me right, you were initially going to lop off the offending bit of the light :LOL: that did cause me minor concern :)

So yes, as you thought back to TW, they apologised for poor first attempt, refitted, then wouldn't accept that it still wasn't right

It is now but only thanks to your input Terry (y)(y)

edit, just composing email to TW now, I really hope they don't just ignore that as well

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think David was right to give TW the chance to put it right and learn from their mistake, it would appear that they have not done this, so David has covered his backside and can now call them all the names he likes:LOL:

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You know, thinking about it. The dealer should have contacted Hymer and told them of the circumstances and Hymer should have flown out a fully qualified and trained engineer. It's not as if we are talking of a £50 Chinese Android tablet.

The industry is rife with cowboys making a quick buck. There are only a handful of top dealers and repairers etc. John Cross Motorhome, Eddie vanbit, Venture Caravans,Conrad Anderson,Wokingham Rapido and @Terry the rest ain't worth spitting on if they were ablaze.

I include some well known names on MHF, I cant/won't name them.

I'm off to clean the Rapido. It's sunny.

Thinking about my after sales experiences with them I would remove Wokingham from your list. I would probably replace them with Highbridge. (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Blimey. ...enough hear to write a book on one hymer headlight!:)
Not suggesting anything, but how would this have worked with a German dealer, would he have gone back there or would they have just sent him a light or what,
Just asking(y):)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You are quite right, of course, but if my memory serves me right, you were initially going to lop off the offending bit of the light :LOL: that did cause me minor concern :)
Don't understand your logic David cut/grind/file a 100k plus motorhome or a £1500 light :D
:D:D:D:D:D
it's done now so it will now take either the older or new type (with the small bulge)light :LOL:
terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Got a nice quick, polite reply

'Good morning Mr Godfrey

Thank you for letting us know that you have resolved the issue.

Travelworld were unable to modify the body of your vehicle (in the way you have) due to the effect any such alteration may have on the headlamp beam pattern. Hymer expressly rule out modifying the body under any circumstance due to it modifying the original type approved structure of the vehicle.'

He then goes on to suggest that TW were jeopardising their relationship with Hymer by pursuing the warranty claim, I really don't get that bit, as I had no choice but to accept the Hymer initial refusal. The only thing they should have been chasing for was clarification ref different shape and associated fitting

The alignment issue is a nonsense as it still fits on to exactly the same fixings, all that has gone is the strain created by forcing it against the body work

Confusing, but finished with for me, I might still consider another Hymer but would be travelling south (or much further east) to do any deal, but we did have a look at new Carthagos this weekend, that looks more likely for next change, but it might be a few years yet (y)

See you all during the year somewhere hopefully, many thanks for your interest and support on this, it really has helped

:Ta2:

But to Hymer and Travelworld

upload_2016-4-11_12-18-57.png

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not suggesting anything, but how would this have worked with a German dealer, would he have gone back there or would they have just sent him a light or what,
Just asking(y):)

Just take it to an authorized Hymer dealer in the UK......Trouble with that is like others have said, some lack the clout or the knowledge to do anything...so Thread goes full circle..

Personally rather deal with a dealer who knows what they are doing...If it cant be resolved via parcel post, if it comes to a visit at holiday time so be it!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the cause of the fault may explain why the original lamp failed because how was it originally fitted? I suspect with the heavy application of a Jack Boot to get to fit in a hole the wrong size. The bodywork must have been stretched and the lamp under permanent pressure. Eventually it cracked.

It would be interesting to know what the aperture looks like on the other side. If it looks the same as the now modified side then I think David has a claim against TW for all his expense plus costs and aggravation.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think the cause of the fault may explain why the original lamp failed because how was it originally fitted? I suspect with the heavy application of a Jack Boot to get to fit in a hole the wrong size. The bodywork must have been stretched and the lamp under permanent pressure. Eventually it cracked.

It would be interesting to know what the aperture looks like on the other side. If it looks the same as the now modified side then I think David has a claim against TW for all his expense plus costs and aggravation.

Somewhere buried in thread and the other I was running on same subject I have shown both sides, the issue seems to be here that the 'bulge' that needed a Terry slot forming to fit, was not part of the original light unit, quite possibly something they have added to prevent the glass shattering, but the original lights did not have this 'bulge' and a such fitted into the D shaped cut out that was there already, it is like an extra bump on the side has been added

I feel I am making this sound more complicated than it was before, none of this was helped by TW refusing to even look for the original light unit, it has been by looking at others mainly at Chester that we know what we had

Martin @funflair has since looked at a newer Hymer which does have the same light unit as we now have, complete with extra bulge, but to quote Martin the owner of that Hymer wasn't very keen to have his taken apart to photograph for me, certainly once he knew how much they cost :)

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Having just bought a new to us one we again considered an A class but comments about windscreens, headlights and letter box bonnets put me right off so stayed with a C Class, the right decision 3 years old and from Oaktree and their preparation and service has been just brilliant, the prices on headlights are a disgrace and travelworld and Hymer should be ashamed of themselves its beyond belief that at those prices they cannot even supply a light that fits never mind the fact that its an ongoing original Hymer fault that they are well aware of

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I'll tell you my slant on things how and why, now its sorted.
Yes there are two lamps one with a bulge and one without
believe it or not I believe either will fit, it has to be remembered all vehicles on the road and i mean ALL
are not in any way symmetric
one side of a car can be 10mm or more longer than the other and thats Robot built cars at that.
I know cos I build em again with factory parts.

Hand built vehicles can and often do vary by much more in almost every direction.

An A Class Motor Home is Hand built, every aperture is hand finished in one way or another, it is a fair bet when it came to fitting headlights in the factory Neither side fitted:rolleyes: and again the aperture will have been altered by hand
It will also mean some headlights were in fact fitted too tight.

Are these the exploding ones?? we will never know, however I believe also the the original lamp has in fact been modified by either Hymer or the Manf , possibly in an attempt to prevent a tight fit and avoid the catastrophic failures some, but not all lamps have suffered. (there is a clue here).

All manufactured parts without exception have a plus and a minus tolerance when being made.

Im of the opinion that Dave's previous lamp that went bang did so because it was at the smaller end of its tolerance and also in too tight a hole, along came lamp No2, that happens to be at the bigger end of it's tolerances and HEY it wont go in the hole.
When Hymer or the lamp manf made the modification to its lamps thet would have been reasonably sure it would fit 99% of the vans out there 1st time without any problems.
With the other 1% of vehicle that may have given problems finishing up at workshops that know what they are on with, and in all probability will have been rectified and fitted without Hymer ever getting to know about it,
Dave I fear you had one of the 1% vans
I also fear it went to one of the 1% of workshops that are clueless
G

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think David was right to give TW the chance to put it right and learn from their mistake, it would appear that they have not done this, so David has covered his backside and can now call them all the names he likes:LOL:

Martin

That's a well and good but van was not supplied by them...they tried and failed end o
I'll tell you my slant on things how and why, now its sorted.
Yes there are two lamps one with a bulge and one without
believe it or not I believe either will fit, it has to be remembered all vehicles on the road and i mean ALL
are not in any way symmetric
one side of a car can be 10mm or more longer than the other and thats Robot built cars at that.
I know cos I build em again with factory parts.

Hand built vehicles can and often do vary by much more in almost every direction.

An A Class Motor Home is Hand built, every aperture is hand finished in one way or another, it is a fair bet when it came to fitting headlights in the factory Neither side fitted:rolleyes: and again the aperture will have been altered by hand
It will also mean some headlights were in fact fitted too tight.

Are these the exploding ones?? we will never know, however I believe also the the original lamp has in fact been modified by either Hymer or the Manf , possibly in an attempt to prevent a tight fit and avoid the catastrophic failures some, but not all lamps have suffered. (there is a clue here).

All manufactured parts without exception have a plus and a minus tolerance when being made.

Im of the opinion that Dave's previous lamp that went bang did so because it was at the smaller end of its tolerance and also in too tight a hole, along came lamp No2, that happens to be at the bigger end of it's tolerances and HEY it wont go in the hole.
When Hymer or the lamp manf made the modification to its lamps thet would have been reasonably sure it would fit 99% of the vans out there 1st time without any problems.
With the other 1% of vehicle that may have given problems finishing up at workshops that know what they are on with, and in all probability will have been rectified and fitted without Hymer ever getting to know about it,
Dave I fear you had one of the 1% vans
I also fear it went to one of the 1% of workshops that are clueless
G

Makes complete sense! Would you be prepared to put this into a report as you said earlier you where in the trade. Then what I would do if I Was David is drive to hymer factory and cause a stink....believe me you won't be the only disatisfied customer on their workshop Aire. Get it sorted properly once and for all....

Eddie

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Makes complete sense! Would you be prepared to put this into a report as you said earlier you where in the trade. Then what I would do if I Was David is drive to hymer factory and cause a stink....believe me you won't be the only disatisfied customer on their workshop Aire. Get it sorted properly once and for all....

Eddie

At times I can be very principled and stand my ground, but this one is now fixed and I want to move on, a 1000 mile round trip and a good few £'s spent on fuel and tunnel etc, just to camp with a few other disappointed Hymer owners isn't going to do anything for me on this one

I have sent an email to TW requesting and suggesting this should be passed to Hymer, I cant really do much more, I am disappointed that my issues appear to have been disregarded, but equally worried that exactly the same thing will happen to the next Hymer owner needing this work doing. Unless by chance the wrong light was ordered or sent for my job. If only TW could have been bothered to pull ine out of the skip

and round we go again ................................. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back