Dazzlin Renovations/van rescue (1 Viewer)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Already introduced our new money pit, bought unseen!

Thought I would bore a few folks with my trials and tribulations with 'Noah' . (see intro thread)

I have pretty much gutted a 'nearly' ok vehicle and there is no sign of slowing down...

Anyway, bought a nice looking (in the ad) van, for a very good price....so a bit to spend.

Now putting our mark on a van that has been used (abused) for 35 years.

Sorted all leaks from the roof.
Fitted new main roof light, ordered two secondary roof lights.
Ripped out kitchen sink, hob and fridge, rotten dash, binned. Also bathroom, gone....

On the list to do - sort the spongy floor, new complete bathroom, new kitchen, worktop /sink /hob, new dash, new ceiling , and a lot of blood, sweat n tears.

Still looking forward to getting hab electrics tested (no battery on collection)

Ad pics....

osf5.jpg
in1.jpg
int2b.jpg

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Looks like you have got a bit of a job on your hands.. But if the running gear and chassis are all in order then the rest is just cosmetic to an avid DIYer like you must be,

Well Done

Take your time and enjoy it when you have got it mostly sorted, I doubt you will ever get it completely right but at the end of the day just get it ok and USE it!
Best wishes and kind thoughts
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I also looking forward to the transformation photos. I’ll bet the previous owner wouldn’t recognise it by the time you are finished.

We had a couple parked next to us last week and they also ripped out their old Hymer. He said it was great to work on and knows his van much better.

Keep posting your pics!

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Cheers. I enjoy a bit of diy and yes, you do get to know the van better. I am always happy to leave things if they are ok, but doing this gives the van a new lease of life, and I have no fears of 'should I?' because it needs doing.
This model is very simple.
All wires and pipes are accessible ish, well nothing is run within the floor or roof which makes it easier.
Also I am hoping the electrics are manageable as there is no electrobloc or similar, just a few fuses and a plug in charger. We will be relying on solar anyway.
I am putting a 240 domestic fridge in, run from an inverter. Should be OK with 360w of solar and 2 decent batteries.
Together with a modern sink, hob and worktops, the kitchen will be a lot more usable.
Needed to update the yellow plastic bathroom, we thought about painting and resealing but it was pretty brittle and I wanted to see what was beneath. Keeping the loo, but new shower, tray and wallboard.
The fire works, but when it doesn't, a cheapo diesel heater is going in, and it had a new water boiler about 10 years ago so I hope that is ok!

"Just needs a lick of paint"... ?

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
What about an all electric 12v fridge?
I would have thought more efficient?
Solar panel at the mo looks adequate to me ???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Are you mostly going to be using the van in Spain?

Re the 240v fridge, we've run our domestic fridge via 430w solar and 270amp batteries quite happily over the last 8months, obviously plenty of sun for the charging throughout mainland Europe but we've been back in the UK for a couple of months now and with the lack of sun the batteries are running lower than I'd actually like, 12.4v is the lowest I've seen. That's just purely charging through the solar, no engine charge or hookup charger.

I really wanted to use a domestic fridge as couldn't justify the cost of 12v/3way fridges. Think we spent less on the whole setup than we would have done just buying a fridge and if it doesn't work out will still be using the rest of the system.

Keep the photos coming.

Shawn

Ps if your in the uk and need an extra pair of hands and have a nice bit of land we can park up for a while, I'm your man. Well man,woman and dog lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back