Dazzlin Renovations/van rescue (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How about orange with magnolia stripes ... now that WOULD be Dazzlin! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Meters still not working on control panel, needs further inspection..... Any ideas? (checked fuse)
Have you removed the meter panel Daz? My first van was quite similar although it was a 1983 Joseph Arnold with in line fuses EVERYWHERE, often concealed in the most ridiculous places, one being behind the meters like in your picture which broke the circuit to the electro bloc which on my van had a shunt to dump power surges, I replaced that with a 45 amp fuse and holder, have you tested the meters with your multimeter, if a lot of the stuff is disconnected I wouldn’t think the ammeter outdoor work would it? also, whilst you have everything stripped make a complete wiring diagram as you will forget, it was the most used bit of kit on my first van. I also added a neon switch to the panel like yours to turn the pump off it was very handy, I also agree with the post about replacing your fuses, those bullet ones are crap, easy to change the panel at this stage. Also you might want to check exactly what the isolator switch isolates, not as daft as it sounds, as they are often DIY fitted, I have come across several configurations. Have fun mate, see you in a field somewhere, unless your going to Maroc in Jan? (y)

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Have you removed the meter panel Daz? My first van was quite similar although it was a 1983 Joseph Arnold with in line fuses EVERYWHERE, often concealed in the most ridiculous places, one being behind the meters like in your picture which broke the circuit to the electro bloc which on my van had a shunt to dump power surges, I replaced that with a 45 amp fuse and holder, have you tested the meters with your multimeter, if a lot of the stuff is disconnected I wouldn’t think the ammeter outdoor work would it? also, whilst you have everything stripped make a complete wiring diagram as you will forget, it was the most used bit of kit on my first van. I also added a neon switch to the panel like yours to turn the pump off it was very handy, I also agree with the post about replacing your fuses, those bullet ones are crap, easy to change the panel at this stage. Also you might want to check exactly what the isolator switch isolates, not as daft as it sounds, as they are often DIY fitted, I have come across several configurations. Have fun mate, see you in a field somewhere, unless your going to Maroc in Jan? (y)

Not maroc? this year unfortunately, just Scotland ?and sunny Scunny? visiting the kids. But will see you and Marg at Misterton if not before. ?

Good idea for the wiring diagram Simon. I always think I can remember it all after rooting about so much, but give it a couple of months.....

I have checked behind the panel, only found 1 glass fuse, but some spade connectors were loose and when pinched with pliers were too brittle?, may need some new refitting.

Water pump switch is an option, haven't got that going yet, but I dont have taps yet!
The submersible has been replaced by a sureflo under the kitchen sink, are these pressure only or switched, anyone?

Surprisingly few extras found so far, for a lot of owners. I'll soon change that ?

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sureflo will be pressure switched but you can put a switch before to override the pressure switching, ours has that so I can leave the panel on but the pump can be switched off, worth doing as then if there is a leak at a joint the pump doesn't run all day while you are no there.

Martin

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Back on the project tomorrow.
Had a couple of days off to let the floor set. Injected it with 2 packs of 2 part epoxy resin kit on Wednesday afternoon, and hoping it will be a bit firmer now!
Got a big 30mm slab of heavy worktop for the kitchen, but done the calcs and when cut to size, and with cutouts it shouldn't be any heavier than the original.
Plan is to replace the bathroom rooflight n start on solar tomorrow, weather permitting.....

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Near Stirling, but can't wait to get back to Spain next year, we are only visiting family.
Yeah I plan to be back in Scotland till october , do some work and sod off to spain and portugal for the winter next year
Will see how it goes .
I thought I had a few jobs to do on mine lol but man that's a project and a half you've got there.
But should be great when all done
Old hymers never die they just get reincarnated

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Another day, or two, digging deeper, finding more fun things to do!
For those that know Hymers, and some other marques, they have stickers near the door proudly announcing the services they offer, ie hot n cold water, wc, cooker etc.
Like this

Screenshot_20191124_161520.jpg

This is mine

IMG_20191124_161721.jpg

The point I am making is that my stickers are still in better condition than the actual facilities!

When I came in from the cold today it looked like this...

Kitchen, with fresh water tank in the bottom.
IMG_20191124_142846.jpg

Boiler in bottom of wardrobe
IMG_20191124_142937.jpg

Bathroom
IMG_20191124_142908.jpg

'Living area'
IMG_20191124_142824.jpg

Started looking at the kitchen yesterday, water pump is not working, can't understand why?
IMG_20191124_103631.jpg

It had also been annoying me that I don't think the fresh water tank emptied.
There is a boiler drain and a grey T lever under the sofa, but when I tracked the grey hose back it was not connected! The only way to drain is by tap and nowt's connected..... To add to that, the big lid on the top has been siliconed to hell and won't open without a lot of time spent on it, which is another job.
I think it had a submerged pump originally but someone has fit a Shurflo pump. The takeoff is at the bottom of the tank, on the outside, which I think may have been the drain off?
I reckon if I can T into that and relocate the original drop valve, job's a good un.....

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Looks like someone turned it into a pressurised system from an unpressurised one and has tried to stop any leaks a switch as previously mentioned will be a very good idea Dazz.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yeah those stickers were like hymers answer to the boy racer shopping lists you see on hot hatches

Hot hatch. Hymer.

Pioneer. Fridge
Spax. Sink
K&N. Cooker
Cobra. Toilet
Pirelli. Bed

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That ^^^^^^^ was perfectly spaced before I posted it and now its moved ?‍♂️

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
bin the unreliable bullet fuses and fit a more modern version. Plenty of choices available including those with tell tale LEDs, but keep it simple if you can.
Absolutely this.
Do you not remember in years past having to give those things a little twiddle to get whatever it was not working to work back in the day!!
Absolute junk.
Fit a blade fuse holder box, something like this.

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Yeah those stickers were like hymers answer to the boy racer shopping lists you see on hot hatches

Hot hatch. Hymer.

Pioneer. Fridge
Spax. Sink
K&N. Cooker
Cobra. Toilet
Pirelli. Bed

Just searching ebay for a wing spoiler......

Screenshot_20191124_191141.jpg

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Absolutely this.
Do you not remember in years past having to give those things a little twiddle to get whatever it was not working to work back in the day!!
Absolute junk.
Fit a blade fuse holder box, something like this.

Looking into this. I can fit in in front of the original as I plan to do a bit of a cupboard both sides with the extra space.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Another day, or two, digging deeper, finding more fun things to do!
For those that know Hymers, and some other marques, they have stickers near the door proudly announcing the services they offer, ie hot n cold water, wc, cooker etc.
Like this

View attachment 347984

This is mine

View attachment 347985

The point I am making is that my stickers are still in better condition than the actual facilities!

When I came in from the cold today it looked like this...

Kitchen, with fresh water tank in the bottom.
View attachment 347986

Boiler in bottom of wardrobe
View attachment 347988

BathroomView attachment 347987

'Living area' View attachment 347989

Started looking at the kitchen yesterday, water pump is not working, can't understand why?
View attachment 347990

It had also been annoying me that I don't think the fresh water tank emptied.
There is a boiler drain and a grey T lever under the sofa, but when I tracked the grey hose back it was not connected! The only way to drain is by tap and nowt's connected..... To add to that, the big lid on the top has been siliconed to hell and won't open without a lot of time spent on it, which is another job.
I think it had a submerged pump originally but someone has fit a Shurflo pump. The takeoff is at the bottom of the tank, on the outside, which I think may have been the drain off?
I reckon if I can T into that and relocate the original drop valve, job's a good un.....
What have you done to it? It looked lovely in the photos before you bought it?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Gunna be seeking out Rachid to get a new 'van tat'. I'll have to see if I can find a good picture to decorate the bonnet.

We met Rachid this year when we were staying at the campsite just inland of "Banana Village" just north of Agadir where we understand he has a workshop but still visits all the local m/h stopover sites.

He's got four kids now and has put on a bit of weight too..............

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back