consequence for overweight? (5 Viewers)

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I often wondered whether there should be an overall passenger+luggage allowance. Skinnies can take a full suitcase, fatties just a toothbrush. That might help address the country's obesity crisis.;)
I think ryanair would just reduce the seat size and spacing between the seats.
if you can’t sit down you can’t fly. The plane is still leaving so you dont get a refund.
that’s the O’Leary method

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I'm pretty sure the newest one will take precedence

I'm sure it would but it shows what a farce it all is - vehicle can take the extra but a 'simple paper exercise' gets you a possible fine......

Time to move MH weights to 4t and stop manufacturers having to build down to 3.5t.
OK some manufacturers would still push the limits but most wouldn't have to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If I downplate my 2400kg axle to 2000kg do I need to reduce the brake and wheel size and change the suspension for smaller components to make it safer? :unsure::unsure:

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years

Attachments

• 22DE4344-C655-42C8-B68A-5CDF80014787.jpeg
    22DE4344-C655-42C8-B68A-5CDF80014787.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 47
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
We only have one plate on our Malibu, 4,400 but our registration document says 4,250 which would be used if we were weighed
If it's been 4250 from new, it's not unheard of for the dealer to forget to attach the sticker.

There was someone on the forum a few months ago - when they asked their dealer where the plate was, it was found to be in a drawer at the dealers.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
If I decided to increase my payload from a 3500 kg to a much higher weight such as say 4500 kg. Not that I intend to do that. I would now be concerned and wonder if my present tyres were up to the job of supporting the extra weight. If the vehicle bought was plated at that weight from new, I would think the converter would have the right choice of tyre to cope with max weight.
Does the company doing the paper exercise, take this into account when up-plating and recommend a change of tyre if necessary. This has not been mentioned in any of the posts re up-plating to higher weights.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
If I downplate my 2400kg axle to 2000kg do I need to reduce the brake and wheel size and change the suspension for smaller components to make it safer? :unsure::unsure:
I would not have thought so

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If it's been 4250 from new, it's not unheard of for the dealer to forget to attach the sticker.

There was someone on the forum a few months ago - when they asked their dealer where the plate was, it was found to be in a drawer at the dealers.

Why had not the converter fixed the plate, because it is their plate with their name certifying the new weights?

Last edited:

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
If I decided to increase my payload from a 3500 kg to a much higher weight such as say 4500 kg. Not that I intend to do that. I would now be concerned and wonder if my present tyres were up to the job of supporting the extra weight. If the vehicle bought was plated at that weight from new, I would think the converter would have the right choice of tyre to cope with max weight.
Does the company doing the paper exercise, take this into account when up-plating and recommend a change of tyre if necessary. This has not been mentioned in any of the posts re up-plating to higher weights.
They make recommendations to show the best weights .
like mine is 3400 Kg. No additions it could be plated to 3500 Kg
by adding air suspension it can go from 3400 kg to 3700 kg .
so I am in the process now in fact got one side done now the other side to go.
then send off the proof of fitting and then the paperwork reflects the additional works.

if I update the brakes and tyres I could possible get a little more.

yet to weigh it fully loaded . But I think 3700 kg will be enough it not there will be some stuff coming out or carry less water.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Generally it's 5% so if you are 5% over on the back axle which is the axle most likely to be overweight then you will possibly get a fixed penalty depending on how much overweight you can be be stopped prom proceeding. Like you might have mentioned a transport lawyer would argue the design weight was not exceeded and so the vehicle was deemed safe.
Cost you at least 2000k to get a transport lawer in court..We were paying 700 pounds 30 years ago, BUSBY.

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
I'm sure it would but it shows what a farce it all is - vehicle can take the extra but a 'simple paper exercise' gets you a possible fine......

Time to move MH weights to 4t and stop manufacturers having to build down to 3.5t.
OK some manufacturers would still push the limits but most wouldn't have to.

I have being saying move it up to 4 tonnes for years, many benefits including less journeys for white van man, would solve a lot of problems for motorhomers, help solve the driver shortage etc. Light vans have moved on enormously in the past 40 years and the manufacturers would soon come up to the game.

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Yes should do, I have used sv tech in the past which I believe are still part of Drinkwater engineering

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
We only have one plate on our Malibu, 4,400 but our registration document says 4,250 which would be used if we were weighed
Good afternoon,
Your plated weight 4400
6500 is the gross train weight which means with a trailer.
2100 is the front axle
2500 is the rear axle
Do not exceed the weight on any of the axles.
If you add 2100 &2500 -4600 which would give you 200 kg extra. On 200 kg overload you would get a telling off your target figure should always be 4400 gross the authorities would go by the plate on the chassis

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
How bonkers is it?
A car driver could not legally drive my van at 3850kg without a C1
He can now legally drive it at 3500kg
- it's the same van!
If he were stopped and the van was over 3500kg he would still be legal but fined for being over.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
How bonkers is it?
- it's the same van!
If he were stopped and the van was over 3500kg he would still be legal but fined for being over.
You keep making this point but you don't seem to understand or choose to ignore the fact that yes it may be the same van BUT it is now rated at 3500kg and therefore anything above this is now illegal.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
How bonkers is it?
- it's the same van!
There are always hard edges in law. Edge cases often feel unfair, but it's very hard to have graduations.

70mph is regarded as safe on a motorway, but 71 is not.
You might have a C1 at 69 years, 364 days but it might become invalid at 70 (unless you do a medical).
A tyre is legal at 1.6mm but illegal at 1.59, even when the road is dry.

You could argue that all are bonkers, but hard edges are the only effective way to write laws. If the 3,500 limit was raised to 4,000 there would be people on here arguing that it was unfair for their particular outfit.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
There are always hard edges in law. Edge cases often feel unfair, but it's very hard to have graduations.

70mph is regarded as safe on a motorway, but 71 is not.
You might have a C1 at 69 years, 364 days but it might become invalid at 70 (unless you do a medical).
A tyre is legal at 1.6mm but illegal at 1.59, even when the road is dry.

You could argue that all are bonkers, but hard edges are the only effective way to write laws. If the 3,500 limit was raised to 4,000 there would be people on here arguing that it was unfair for their particular outfit.
You would not be prosecuted for driving at 71mph or maybe 77 - No hard edge there and there is discretion for weight over 3500kg...

Commonsense sometimes is applied.

The difference is that a car driver without a C1 would be certainly prosecuted for driving 'not in accordance with his licence' and for no insurance but not now the van is plated at 3500kg.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Barclaybasher. It’s not the van causing the problem, it’s the driver who will not have a C1 license to drive over 3500 kg making it illegal to drive anything above that weight. Find a driver with a C1 license. Problem solved.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
For my upgrade to be issued I had to supply photos of the new tyres fitted and the air bags fitted. OK still open to dubious integrity photographic evidence, but I certainly wouldn't wish to risk it.
Mike

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
For my upgrade to be issued I had to supply photos of the new tyres fitted and the air bags fitted. OK still open to dubious integrity photographic evidence, but I certainly wouldn't wish to risk it.
Mike
Ditto same photographic evidence required for my up plating. Not finished the works yet.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Barclaybasher. It’s not the van causing the problem, it’s the driver who will not have a C1 license to drive over 3500 kg making it illegal to drive anything above that weight. Find a driver with a C1 license. Problem solved.

I've explained my reasons for down-plating.

So many advantages and just a risk of a fine if actually stopped and weighed.

Which the yanks would call a 'misdemeanour' rather than a 'felony'....

Additionally I don't have to put those ridiculous stickers on my van in France

(y)(y)

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Will the advantages outweigh the disadvantages if you accidentally knock anyone over when illegally overweight. I don’t think a slap on the wrist or a fine will cover that.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It’s something to do with balancing the plane for safety and fuel economy been going on for years.
Back in the 80's I used to fly Aurigny Air regularly between Guernsey and Jersey. At Guernsey passengers stood on scales as they passed through not much more than a shed where seat numbers were allocated, presumably according to their weight.

It had seemed odd to me that passengers are encouraged/allowed to load up with heavy bottles of booze. I did suggest to BA that it might save a lot of fuel if passengers bought their booze after their flight at the destination airport. They replied that the duty-free shopping facilities are franchisees of the BAA and wouldn't sell so much to arriving passengers in a hurry to get home. Can't fault the commercial truth in that.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Back in the 80's I used to fly Aurigny Air regularly between Guernsey and Jersey. At Guernsey passengers stood on scales as they passed through not much more than a shed where seat numbers were allocated, presumably according to their weight.

I knew Aurigny well, when I was based in Jersey for BA and it still provides a good service to and between the islands.

The weighing was not only for total weight but more importantly for Centre of Gravity calculations - to avoid a stall - 4-wheel transport cannot 'stall'.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back