consequence for overweight? (3 Viewers)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Weighing passengers before a flight is to ensure a couple of things, 1; the weight of the passengers does not exceed the all up weight of the aircraft for safe flying,
2; balance of the aircraft, the pilot needs to know where the CofG is, the centre of gravity, if all the fatties were sat in the rear of the plane, his controls could be out of balance and he may not be able to trim the aircraft during flight. Worse case scenario, aircraft drags its tail into the air and the sinks back into the ground.
One one flight I flew, with 3 mates I had to refuse to carry some of their cases. Golf gear had to be paired back. I had forgotten until arrival at the airfield that, though there were 4 seats and space for luggage, because I couldnt get the turbo charged model I normally flew the aircraft I got was not capable of carrying everyone and their kitchen sinks.🛩️🛩️🛩️🛬🛬🛬

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lynne Roy that looks like the Fiat plate, you should have a Malabu one as well, if like the Carthago ones it will look like a paper sticker (actually plastic) often in drivers footwell.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Lenny

I know that, but was asking how VOSA apply the law if one is technically in breach of plated weight, but they as a knowledgeable organisation know that you vehicle is not dangerous.

Geoff
The law is the law and you are expected to comply or face the consequences.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The law is the law and you are expected to comply or face the consequences.

I suppose that I am really asking which law they apply i.e. fixed penalty, charge with what offence, or even use discretion of just a warning.

I am sure that they do not throw the book at everyone.

So that leads to what are the consequences?

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I suppose that I am really asking which law they apply i.e. fixed penalty, charge with what offence, or even use discretion of just a warning.

I am sure that they do not throw the book at everyone.

So that leads to what are the consequences?
Hence the the thread title

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I am sure there are many drivers that do not realise that if a van is rated at over 3.5t they need a C1.
The previous owner of mine didn't know.
When I bought the van it took 6 months to finally get my C1 back.
I weighed the van last year - 3.3t
I travel mostly alone so will always be running just under the 3.5t.
Someone asked how I'd feel if I ran somebody down when overweight. - answer - just as upset as if I were under 3.5t. The van had been uprated to 3850kg by some previous owner.
It's the same van! The same driver.

Do you think manufacturers or dealers would or should make it clear that a C1 is needed? - has anyone on here been told?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I am sure there are many drivers that do not realise that if a van is rated at over 3.5t they need a C1.
The previous owner of mine didn't know.
When I bought the van it took 6 months to finally get my C1 back.
I weighed the van last year - 3.3t
I travel mostly alone so will always be running just under the 3.5t.
Someone asked how I'd feel if I ran somebody down when overweight. - answer - just as upset as if I were under 3.5t. The van had been uprated to 3850kg by some previous owner.
It's the same van! The same driver.

Do you think manufacturers or dealers would or should make it clear that a C1 is needed? - has anyone on here been told?
Must be loads driving illegally and don't know
It..BUSBY.

Jul 2, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Adria 690 Platinum
Exp
Ex Caravan owner now a Motorhome owner since November 2020
Are you still covered by your insurance if you have an accident while being over weight? I think not.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Are you still covered by your insurance if you have an accident while being over weight? I think not.
I could only find one relevant decision on the ombudsman's site. It makes interesting reading. I'm not surprised the insurer was reluctant to pay, but the ombudsman took the policy holder's side.

I couldn't find any other cases relating to over-weight vehicles. You're very welcome to look, and I'd love to read any cases you find. The link is at https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/decisions-case-studies/ombudsman-decisions

There is quite a conspiracy of silence that goes on, especially relating to weights of 3,500kg vehicles. I am astonished that 3 and 4-berth motorhomes can be sold which would be illegal the moment all the occupants and a reasonable amount of luggage is loaded. My dealer gave a very clever 'nobody has ever asked us about weights' act when asked. There are lots of overweight vans and motorhomes out there.

I'm only aware of one dealer who weighs each incoming (new) motorhome and makes the information available. I think that should be the norm.

Last edited:

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
When we bought our motor home we knew nothing about weights and assumed you loaded up and went.
it was here on the forum that everything started to become clear and then the whole experience of owning a fist time motor home changed. From being a delight to refurbish and look forward to some adventures to one of worry more expense and paperwork.

still I have been told it is worth it in the end.
this week we’re in for the grand weigh in. Just for our own reference .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Must be loads driving illegally and don't know
It..BUSBY.
And loads that do know, a few years ago I was chatting to a guy at Calais he was quite proud of the fact he was well over 4t on his 3.5t van.
I can understand people running a few kg over but doing it like that is dangerous.

All ferry ports have weighbridges, perhaps all Motorhome should have to go over them and if overweight refused boarding.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Maybe if there were more public weighbridges around, folk would use them. Having a weigh bridge at the port is kind of too late.

We've got a 500kg trailer with most of the heavy gear in it. I have weighed the stuff in it and it is less than the payload. I travel with white and grey water completely empty, but even so, I am sure that when the family is on board (me +3) we must be close to the 3500.

I now have semi air and could go up a tyre size from 215 to 225. So up-plating to 3850 is on the cards if I need to. I could drive it, but Mrs DDJC couldn't, being the spring chicken that she is. She hasn't the time to do the C1 test, although she drives the bus perfectly competently when I am co-piloting.

I've never heard of a motorhomer being stopped and weighed, UK or abroad. Has anyone else?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I am astonished that 3 and 4-berth motorhomes can be sold which would be illegal the moment all the occupants and a reasonable amount of luggage is loaded.
As an aside, there are anomalies where it's legal to sell a product but not to use it.
I used to supply components to a small firm that made dash mounted detectors of police speed radar 'traps'. He was taken to court but it was found that he could legally sell them but it was an offence for the public to use them.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
>> I've never heard of a motorhomer being stopped and weighed, UK or abroad. Has anyone else?

I used to go to a festival in Somerset. A few people would be pulled over each year.

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Maybe if there were more public weighbridges around, folk would use them. Having a weigh bridge at the port is kind of too late.

We've got a 500kg trailer with most of the heavy gear in it. I have weighed the stuff in it and it is less than the payload. I travel with white and grey water completely empty, but even so, I am sure that when the family is on board (me +3) we must be close to the 3500.

I now have semi air and could go up a tyre size from 215 to 225. So up-plating to 3850 is on the cards if I need to. I could drive it, but Mrs DDJC couldn't, being the spring chicken that she is. She hasn't the time to do the C1 test, although she drives the bus perfectly competently when I am co-piloting.

I've never heard of a motorhomer being stopped and weighed, UK or abroad. Has anyone else?
We were travelling through France to Spain about six weeks ago, just exiting one of many roundabouts near Chateaxroux when a gendarme on a motorbike overtook us and indicated we should follow him.
I guessed we were going to be weighed !
We had just fuelled up and also had over 100 litres of water in the tank……this wasn’t going to end well.
The gendarmes were pleasant enough explaining in broken English they wanted vehicle documents.
I gave them everything, fiat base model, alko chassis conversion, Hymer conversion , uk registration , insurance docs….everything!
The gendarmes indicated the important number was 3500kg then they weighed us.
I still can’t believe we were UNDER 3500kg !!!
We didn’t dare ask how much we weighed.
The Moho is plated at 3500kg but can go to 3850kg with no modification so although possibly illegal, not necessarily dangerous.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We were travelling through France to Spain about six weeks ago, just exiting one of many roundabouts near Chateaxroux when a gendarme on a motorbike overtook us and indicated we should follow him.
I guessed we were going to be weighed !
We had just fuelled up and also had over 100 litres of water in the tank……this wasn’t going to end well.
The gendarmes were pleasant enough explaining in broken English they wanted vehicle documents.
I gave them everything, fiat base model, alko chassis conversion, Hymer conversion , uk registration , insurance docs….everything!
The gendarmes indicated the important number was 3500kg then they weighed us.
I still can’t believe we were UNDER 3500kg !!!
We didn’t dare ask how much we weighed.
The Moho is plated at 3500kg but can go to 3850kg with no modification so although possibly illegal, not necessarily dangerous.

Did you have to stay on your bus while they weighed it? If all four of us get off, it is light enough to float away!!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I could only find one relevant decision on the ombudsman's site. It makes interesting reading. I'm not surprised the insurer was reluctant to pay, but the ombudsman took the policy holder's side.

I couldn't find any other cases relating to over-weight vehicles. You're very welcome to look, and I'd love to read any cases you find. The link is at https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/decisions-case-studies/ombudsman-decisions

There is quite a conspiracy of silence that goes on, especially relating to weights of 3,500kg vehicles. I am astonished that 3 and 4-berth motorhomes can be sold which would be illegal the moment all the occupants and a reasonable amount of luggage is loaded. My dealer gave a very clever 'nobody has ever asked us about weights' act when asked. There are lots of overweight vans and motorhomes out there.

I'm only aware of one dealer who weighs each incoming (new) motorhome and makes the information available. I think that should be the norm.

Name the dealer, name him, for the benefit of the MH fraternity.

We need to know the good ones.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Only going to up plate to 3500 kg and no more we can manage with that.
already fitted rear air bags in case we need more up plating.
so the consequence for overweight at this time does not apply.

the max at the moment is 3400 kg

fully loaded today except for two small dogs. Went to the weigh station

PNG image 6.png

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Only going to up plate to 3500 kg and no more we can manage with that.
already fitted rear air bags in case we need more up plating.
so the consequence for overweight at this time does not apply.

the max at the moment is 3400 kg

fully loaded today except for two small dogs. Went to the weigh station

View attachment 593337
How are you doing against each axle limit?

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
A 3500Kg spinter weighed in at 6,000 kg on the M1 today...

They seem to be using a portable weighing machine.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
>> now has suspension air bags fitted and will be rated 2000 kg
(y)
We have been out in it today to have it weighed

we have had the remap and the air bags and I just can’t believe how different it is to drive now.

we’re thinking now maybe get the clutch checked and a new timing belt and pump as we don’t know when any of this was done over its 19 years and 18885 miles.

Sep 5, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
American Rv A Class
When I took my Rv for its MOT the test station had a large screen on the wall which showed the things being tested, it also had a red flashing part at the top saying this vehicle is over weight. I have since have it up plated.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
When I took my Rv for its MOT the test station had a large screen on the wall which showed the things being tested, it also had a red flashing part at the top saying this vehicle is over weight. I have since have it up plated.

Should the thread be renamed "Weight Watchers" ......?:giggle:(y)

• Funny
Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back