consequence for overweight? (2 Viewers)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We were travelling through France to Spain about six weeks ago, just exiting one of many roundabouts near Chateaxroux when a gendarme on a motorbike overtook us and indicated we should follow him.
I guessed we were going to be weighed !
We had just fuelled up and also had over 100 litres of water in the tank……this wasn’t going to end well.
The gendarmes were pleasant enough explaining in broken English they wanted vehicle documents.
I gave them everything, fiat base model, alko chassis conversion, Hymer conversion , uk registration , insurance docs….everything!
The gendarmes indicated the important number was 3500kg then they weighed us.
I still can’t believe we were UNDER 3500kg !!!
We didn’t dare ask how much we weighed.
The Moho is plated at 3500kg but can go to 3850kg with no modification so although possibly illegal, not necessarily dangerous.
Judging by the number of French motorhome without angles mortes stickers leads me to the conclusion that the French definition of 3500kgs must be quite a lot more flexible than elsewhere:LOL::LOL:.

• Funny
Reactions: f6c
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
It certainly now marks the light boys from the heavy brigade. Maybe Brits will now be targeted at 3500kg. That’s if they can catch them travelling too fast.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Derbyshire police pull a 3.5t transit 2.5t overweight and some on here worry about a few hundred kg or less over........
:doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
Remember that if the DVSA pull you over, they may do checks other than your vehicle weight. It can quickly clock up the offences if you don't keep the vehicle in good condition.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
À
Remember that if the DVSA pull you over, they may do checks other than your vehicle weight. It can quickly clock up the offences if you don't keep the vehicle in good condition.

IF the DVSA 'pull you over'

Not likely to happen but most on here will keep their vehicle in good condition.....

Just might not have weighed it......

DVSA and police have more important things to do - unless your van is dragging its back end down the road.....

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I suppose that I am really asking which law they apply i.e. fixed penalty, charge with what offence, or even use discretion of just a warning.

I am sure that they do not throw the book at everyone.

So that leads to what are the consequences?
Worse case scenario in uk is that they can stop you moving until you get someone to help you unload, then fine you, usually a fixed penalty ticket.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I've had VB semi-air fitted to the rear. It raises the rear end three and a half inches.

But the thing is, when it is up at 2 bar, the rear of the bus is ever-so-slightly inclined forward and looks like it is empty! Maybe les Rozzeurs look at you as you trundle past at a very sensible 95kmh, and if you are saggy in the butt area, they think "Ha ha! Je regarde vous etes tres heavy, monsieur Rosbif. Vous etes nicked."

We shall see, this Whitsun...

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
EC14DF6E-F763-405F-8ED7-69E07674416F.jpeg
We definitely don’t have a ‘saggy butt,’ we were still stopped and weighed 😀👌

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We were travelling through France to Spain about six weeks ago, just exiting one of many roundabouts near Chateaxroux when a gendarme on a motorbike overtook us and indicated we should follow him.
I guessed we were going to be weighed !
We had just fuelled up and also had over 100 litres of water in the tank……this wasn’t going to end well.
The gendarmes were pleasant enough explaining in broken English they wanted vehicle documents.
I gave them everything, fiat base model, alko chassis conversion, Hymer conversion , uk registration , insurance docs….everything!
The gendarmes indicated the important number was 3500kg then they weighed us.
I still can’t believe we were UNDER 3500kg !!!
We didn’t dare ask how much we weighed.
The Moho is plated at 3500kg but can go to 3850kg with no modification so although possibly illegal, not necessarily dangerous.

Maybe you were not under 3500kg, but if you were minimally over they may have used their discretion, in which case they did not have to disclose what you weighed.

Probably as well that you did not ask - could have caused them to remove the discretion.

Have you since weighed the MH in the same state?

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Maybe you were not under 3500kg, but if you were minimally over they may have used their discretion, in which case they did not have to disclose what you weighed.

Probably as well that you did not ask - could have caused them to remove the discretion.

Have you since weighed the MH in the same state?
Not yet but we will have a ‘weigh in ‘ next time we’re loaded for a trip.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I can go to 3850 with just a paperwork exercise. Just means Lucy can’t drive it then so I haven’t.

I try and keep the weight down, it’s really difficult with 2 kids and inevitably, some toys get left behind.

I don’t check every trip, it’s not a safety issue and if it was, I would check. We are bang on the limit fully loaded, sometimes we may stray over by a few KG until we have used some fuel up.

I am happy with this, if I get pulled and find myself over, I only have myself to blame and it would unintentional as I have had it checked. The main culprits the Police are after are the ones obviously taking the mickey such as the commercial vans above. To put 4 ton in a van meant for 1 is more than a bit stupid and deserves all they get.

Deleted User
Just seen this on faceache, only a £900 fine - should be more!

<Broken link removed>
That fine is pathetic!!!
It cost me over £600 in fine and costs for being 11%, over on the front axle of a 7.5 tonner over 30 years ago.
It was described in court as being 'grossly overloaded'.
It took me all of five minutes to move around ten cartons to the back, it was well within it's max gross weight.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
All this reading has justified my up rating to 5tons with Van Weight Engineering, very helpful and easy process (albeit a tad expensive) and half the price of SV Tech
2300kg on front
2700kg on rear
1450kg rated wheels
Happy days, let’s see what the DVLA cocks up🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back