Cherish this forum of Motorhomefun (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Hettie's Crew
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I'm another ex Hog, there are a lot of us about. Replacement headlight units caused a few issues and resulted in several being thrown out.
It’s exactly that sort of thing that’s the main problem with HOG.
On here there’s loads of helpful information and solutions regarding the Headlight problem etc but it appears not to be allowed on HOG.

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Might cut TW sales on £1200 headlamps. :LOL:
Thats exactly what their problem is .
Paul gets wee backhanders from the company's they claim to give member discount. Another thing i got complained at for was telling someone that the Reich twin pump was cheaper on eBay with postage than it was with hog discount from leisure shop direct.

He no likey that .

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I’ve been a member of Hog for some years, having been previously thrown off Classic Hymer’s group. So I’ve kept my nose clean as there are a few members with great knowledge of the product.
When we sold our old Hymer we used other mediums for advertising as the abrupt moderating should you leave out some detail winds me up.
In some respects the admins do keep good control of the group which restricts discussions getting ugly. However I’m anti excessive moderation which certainly does occur.
With the passage of time I realise I just prefer paid for forums like this one and UK GS’er ( a bike forum with very little moderation. :LOL:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
As far as 'they' are concerned I'm currently PERSONA NON GRATA. :p

That is because I'm all sweetness and light.:unsure:

I do find they have a sycophantic attitude towards the brand.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
All I did was to make the mistake of suggesting that the method he was describing to grease the ALKO axle wasn’t quite right and explained in detail why.
This wasn’t my first experience of the HOG Facebook forum though. Three years ago I joined and in one thread about Canbus compliant DRL LED bulbs I pointed out there was no need to buy the expensive ones they were insisting on because FIAT based models weren’t always Canbus on the DRL’s circuit. I showed the ones I’d used, ordinary LED‘s. I even explained how they could check if their model was Canbus DRL or not.
Members appeared to appreciate it but not the moderators, saying a lot of work had gone into researching and sourcing these bulbs for the members.
I left the group myself back then because the level of technical knowledge appeared very low controlled rigorously by the ill informed, self important moderators.
I only joined again to see if anything had changed.
Well I don't blame you for leaving.
I am still pending. :rolleyes:

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I do find they have a sycophantic attitude towards the brand.
Had to look up the meaning of that word:doh: so you've basically got to be an :moon2:licker :giggler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I’ve never been chucked off anything or had any warnings, which is why I was a little put out by how I was treated on there. I’m never disrespectful to anyone, I hope.
I love what I‘ve learnt on here from some very helpful and knowledgeable people.
There is a distinct possibility that you will get the piss taken on here..... at least I hope so - that is an integral part of Fun

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I’ve never been chucked off anything or had any warnings, which is why I was a little put out by how I was treated on there. I’m never disrespectful to anyone, I hope.
I love what I‘ve learnt on here from some very helpful and knowledgeable people.
Well, like you I don't seek to provoke or to be unpleasant to anyone and accept that in matters of opinion, there are no hard and fast answers. I will politely challenge or gently correct where I feel that a comment really shouldn't be left unchallenged but that's not often.

Also like you, prior to joining this forum, I had never been banned or cautioned or otherwise discouraged from social media (except by my own reservations). I also agree that there are some very helpful and knowledgeable people on here who will go out of their way to try to assist in any question you might put up. However, like any large "club" there are also buffoons and people with downright unpleasant (in my view) attitudes and views but there is always the "Ignore" button for them and I have a growing list of people that I simply don't wish to hear from or about.

Joining MF (paid up and all) I learned that there is a first time for everything and found myself out in the wilderness with no warning or explanation as to what was offensive/inappropriate or otherwise about what I thought was a perfectly reasonable comment. That's the thing really, one person's reasonable comment is another one's trolling and rules are rules until they aren't. . . . :)

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
North Korea, China, Belarus, they’re nothing compared with Hymer Owners Group Facebook group.
I joined yesterday, chucked out today. Why you may ask, I questioned the advice being given by one of the moderators (P), I won’t give the name.
I’d commented on a few threads, received several likes, including from (P), then today (P) put on a post explaining how he had greased his ALKO chassis in accordance with the advice he’d previously given. Several members challenged this advice, with what I believe to be the correct method, but were ‘corrected’ by (P).
I took up the post and gave all the information I’d gleaned from here only to be told again.
I gave a diagram, the link to Fraser engineering and a full explanation as to why it wasn’t a good idea to pump in 1 to 2 full tubes of grease, explaining all about the bronze bushes/seals etc and said I would leave it there and make no further comment, adding we all have to chose what advice to take or leave.
(P) came back with a curt response and accused me of being unwilling to help people, like he does and didn’t like what I’d said.
Within minutes I was unable to access the thread to respond, apparently blocked, I then noticed I was unable to see any posts or comments by (P), even where he’d liked other posts, others names come up but his said ‘data not available’
Feeling put out and noticing I could still post I decided to suggest a 9th rule be added to their list.
Rule 9. Under no circumstances suggest the advice being by (P) could be wrong, or words to that effect, I can’t see it anymore. All very polite though.
Within minutes that post got four likes and two supporting comments from members. Minutes after that their comments were removed from the post and shortly after I lost access.
It really does bring home just what a fantastic forum this is and how well it’s moderated, allowing open discussion without being shut down. Unless our rules are broken.
Its a real shame the HOG FB group is being run by a dictatorship because in my short time there I got the impression there are some very nice people.
Exactly the same thing happened to me on THAT site (although on the web, not on farcebook, and by the same person (P) one thing you CANNOT do on THAT site is argue or disagree with (P) even when he is WRONG !!, it was quite a handy site me having a Hymer

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Well, like you I don't seek to provoke or to be unpleasant to anyone and accept that in matters of opinion, there are no hard and fast answers. I will politely challenge or gently correct where I feel that a comment really shouldn't be left unchallenged but that's not often.

Also like you, prior to joining this forum, I had never been banned or cautioned or otherwise discouraged from social media (except by my own reservations). I also agree that there are some very helpful and knowledgeable people on here who will go out of their way to try to assist in any question you might put up. However, like any large "club" there are also buffoons and people with downright unpleasant (in my view) attitudes and views but there is always the "Ignore" button for them and I have a growing list of people that I simply don't wish to hear from or about.

Joining MF (paid up and all) I learned that there is a first time for everything and found myself out in the wilderness with no warning or explanation as to what was offensive/inappropriate or otherwise about what I thought was a perfectly reasonable comment. That's the thing really, one person's reasonable comment is another one's trolling and rules are rules until they aren't. . . . :)

Like you, I have been participating in Forums since the 1990's , never more than a mild rebuke from the Admins if things were possibly heading off topic.

I was somewhat surprised to find myself blocked (permanently) from the Belly Locker and the U shaped lounge areas (and maybe others, I would not know) for simply expressing views that were held by 49% of the country. No insults, no bad language, but people don't like opinions that are contrary to their own.

Later on I got sent to Coventry for a month for stating a fact (not an opinion)

As many forums are run by a single individual, or an individual and a few of their like minded mates as admins, in can mean that a small range of ideas are discussed, or blocked. In the case of the Hymer FB page, it would appear to be related to money, don't recommend a rival product where the Moderator does not get a cut.

I guess it's no different to Newspapers, no one buys the Daily Mail for fair unbiased news coverage.
Yous pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Like you, I have been participating in Forums since the 1990's , never more than a mild rebuke from the Admins if things were possibly heading off topic.

I was somewhat surprised to find myself blocked (permanently) from the Belly Locker and the U shaped lounge areas (and maybe others, I would not know) for simply expressing views that were held by 49% of the country. No insults, no bad language, but people don't like opinions that are contrary to their own.

As many forums are run by a single individual, or an individual and a few of their like minded mates as admins, in can mean that a small range of ideas are discussed, or blocked. In the case of the Hymer FB page, it would appear to be related to money, don't recommend a rival product where the Moderator does not get a cut.

I guess it's no different to Newspapers, no one buys the Daily Mail for fair unbiased news coverage.
Me too ...

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
There is a distinct possibility that you will get the piss taken on here..... at least I hope so - that is an integral part of Fun
In order to take the piss, the recipient has to have a vocabulary and reciprocating innuendo which has been sufficiently developed in order to comprehend and respond to the full velocity of the piss takers remarks, if not your pissing in the wind don’t you find! :giggle: (y)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

I am in good company then, I think a few of us are have been banned from the Belly Locker and u shaped lounge, as far as I can tell I was not rude, abusive, or insulting either. I think that sometimes text is flat and without intonation or ebb and flow of live conversation meanings can be taken wrongly (doesn't matter how right or wrong you are) I guess with so many members it is hard for an Admin to review an incident with an individual and sets a global rule that means a transgressing individual can get banned without realising why (I know ignorance is no excuse). Overall I think the site is run well and quite orderly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back