Buying privately (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello all, it's me, the pest again needing your wise words of wisdom.
I have a bit of a dilemma going on with our first purchase of a motorhome.
We have looked at a Hymer Exis T 588 at a dealer. £ 49,995. It is a 14 plate with 19k miles. The dealer has offered to discount an awning by 50% as the MH does not have this. They have also offered to discount a set of tyres as I asked for a new set. I don't know what age the tyres on it are but assume they could be original and therefore 6yrs old.
I am also going to ask that the warranty is extended to 1yr from 6mths. I may also ask for discount on a safefill gas bottle and I am going to push for as many other extras I can think of.
I am happy with the dealer response so far.

The problem. I have just spotted this on autotrader and by all accounts looks like a better van. It is one yr younger with less mileage. It has recently had it's 5yr cam belt exchange along with guide and tensioner £666. It also has, according to the owner, had a recent habitation check £330.
The seller has been very good at communication.

Broken Link Removed

I am still worried about being scammed. I am supposed to be going to see this MH tomorrow. I could fob off the dealer until Friday but is it worth the risk for a saving of 3k?

The private sale one looks like it's in better condition, with an awning and very good mechanically and cosmetically.

phew...sorry about the length of post
TIA

OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thanks everyone. I'm up at 5am and watching the clock for 9am to call and get it insured and breakdown cover. It's like being a kid at Christmas.
The guy I'm buying from has been great. The van has been very well looked after. The carpets haven't been used so are brand new. They used mattress protectors so they are the same.
There is no spare wheel as it has a puncture kit in the van which has never been used and still has original wrapping. he didn't even realise there was a compressor in it as he's never looked at it.
He's leaving the gas bottles, telly and ramps in the van.
I had to pay the full cash but I think I got the right van at a saving of 3k over a dealer selling an older model with more mileage so can't complain.
The van has had a recall by fiat for a transmission cable to be fitted this Thursday. It kind of buggers up our weeks holiday but I think I'm better getting it done on the day rather than re-book.

Big thumbs up to you all and look forward to bumping into some of you on our travels (y)(y)(y)(y)

Steven & Teresa🥰

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Just incase you missed my earlier post.
According to autotrader the private sale one is in my home town of Dunfermline...
If you let me know where about in Dunfermline and the sellers name i could probably tell you if he's a known trader or not.
No He's not a trader. Picking the van up in Dalgety Bay later today. I better not give the guy's details out as he may well be a member on here and could be offended if his details are discussed. I would be. Am I right about that though?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Congratulations! Lovely van enjoy every moment!
looking at reviews on here is the Loch Lomond road a good idea for an initial run??
avoided it when we went a couple of years ago and a friend just returned and said would avoid in future.
We live just ten mls or so from loch lomond. Why what's wrong with it? I'm curious. I know that there has been a clampdown on campers and folk having BBQ's because of over use and leaving there mess but we'll only be parking in one of the large car parks adjacent to Loch Lomond shores. which is at the bottom end of the loch. I often go up that way on the bike. It's a favourite run for bikers heading to Inveraray and Oban etc

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Remember to update your profile Steven. Not “Looking” any longer. So excited for you.
Just been on my profile and couldn't do it for some reason. I'll have a look later and update with a photo too (y)

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We live just ten mls or so from loch lomond. Why what's wrong with it? I'm curious. I know that there has been a clampdown on campers and folk having BBQ's because of over use and leaving there mess but we'll only be parking in one of the large car parks adjacent to Loch Lomond shores. which is at the bottom end of the loch. I often go up that way on the bike. It's a favourite run for bikers heading to Inveraray and Oban etc
I think what Rapphil may be alluding to, and you'll know this being local, is that the road at the top end of the loch (past Tarbet) is still narrow and twisty in places and would this be sensible when still getting used to the new vehicle. However if you're sticking to Balloch \ Alex \ Luss end you'll be fine.
Enjoy yourselves.

ps weather is not brilliant but getting a tad better at tea time tonight.(y)

1603521909991.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I think what Rapphil may be alluding to, and you'll know this being local, is that the road at the top end of the loch (past Tarbet) is still narrow and twisty in places and would this be sensible when still getting used to the new vehicle. However if you're sticking to Balloch \ Alex \ Luss end you'll be fine.
Enjoy yourselves.

ps weather is not brilliant but getting a tad better at tea time tonight.(y)

View attachment 435601
Oh yes forgot about that bit, everyone hates it including bikers. Yes we'll be sticking to the other end. I once saw a chauffer driver Rolls Royce lying at the side of the road bashed up. He had caught on one of the boulders. The driver looked a bit cheesed off:oops:

Upvote 0
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Congratulations on your purchase. It sounds as though you've made a good buy.
We had a 2015 Hymer Tramp SL. It was a very nice van. We only traded it in because it was a French bed layout and we found the bed to be a bit cramped, plus we wanted to buy some e-bikes, which we didn't want to carry on the back.
We have a Hymer with twin singles over a large garage now, and it suits us down to the ground. The beds are extremely comfortable and our bikes fit easily into the garage.
Enjoy!

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Just been on my profile and couldn't do it for some reason. I'll have a look later and update with a photo too (y)
Thanks Gellyneck for the detail, I know I had read previous posts about the road but I avoided it so didn’t know details. Sorry I posted afterwards because it sounds as though I was a real killjoy to your exciting purchase but as it says on your avatar Steve , newbie , I didn’t want you having initial hairy experience.enjoy your van and holiday.
just re read someone’s post as ‘narrow and twisty, evil bit of road’ along Lomond but still wonder if a warning was appropriate from me, apologies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
steven jackson
Not that you'll be anywhere near interested but saw the Autosleeper out at Strathclyde this morning you were half thinking about. Just drove past it. It looked tidy enough but didn't look closely. Still had the for sale sign on the dashboard.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thanks Gellyneck for the detail, I know I had read previous posts about the road but I avoided it so didn’t know details. Sorry I posted afterwards because it sounds as though I was a real killjoy to your exciting purchase but as it says on your avatar Steve , newbie , I didn’t want you having initial hairy experience.enjoy your van and holiday.
just re read someone’s post as ‘narrow and twisty, evil bit of road’ along Lomond but still wonder if a warning was appropriate from me, apologies.

No problem at all and thanks for the heads up. I picked the van up yesterday. I had no problem driving it home or filling up at asda but I think I would avoid that bit of road in future. Saying that, if you want to head up to Fort William or Glencoe It's the quicker way rather than Inveraray-Oban way so I'll need to tackle it at some point :oops:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
steven jackson
Not that you'll be anywhere near interested but saw the Autosleeper out at Strathclyde this morning you were half thinking about. Just drove past it. It looked tidy enough but didn't look closely. Still had the for sale sign on the dashboard.

Picked up the Hymer yesterday so hopefully won't be looking again for a few years. Thanks for thinking of us though(y)
Very happy with the van. hardly a squeek out of bebe on the way home. Teresa's got it named already!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Congratulations on your purchase. It sounds as though you've made a good buy.
We had a 2015 Hymer Tramp SL. It was a very nice van. We only traded it in because it was a French bed layout and we found the bed to be a bit cramped, plus we wanted to buy some e-bikes, which we didn't want to carry on the back.
We have a Hymer with twin singles over a large garage now, and it suits us down to the ground. The beds are extremely comfortable and our bikes fit easily into the garage.
Enjoy!
Thank you. Yes same here. two singles with the infill-double and large garage. Going to buy bedding today and lots of other bits. Supposed to be sunny over the east coast way today so may go for a wee run and leave the shopping until tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I didn't as I'm 63 and have C1 on my license. Found out about that when visiting the dealers.
I'm thinking about extra security just now and what is best.
Its not just for licence purposes but payload purposes. Some vans on 3.5 ton have very little payload so its worth knowing beforehand.
Some its just a paper excercise to have yhe weight raised but others its expensive.

Also a different tax category

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Its not just for licence purposes but payload purposes. Some vans on 3.5 ton have very little payload so its worth knowing beforehand.
Some its just a paper excercise to have yhe weight raised but others its expensive.

I'm a bit clueless about the payload thing despite reading up on it but when talking to the people who sold it to us they said it wasn't a problem. They had it for five years from new, just the two of them used it like we will and they didn't have any issues.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp

And just taxed it last night and nothing flagged up

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Well Steve you started of right by asking questions on here and you finished up A WINNER.

Enjoy your new adventure, we will 😀😀👍🏼

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back