Buying privately (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello all, it's me, the pest again needing your wise words of wisdom.
I have a bit of a dilemma going on with our first purchase of a motorhome.
We have looked at a Hymer Exis T 588 at a dealer. £ 49,995. It is a 14 plate with 19k miles. The dealer has offered to discount an awning by 50% as the MH does not have this. They have also offered to discount a set of tyres as I asked for a new set. I don't know what age the tyres on it are but assume they could be original and therefore 6yrs old.
I am also going to ask that the warranty is extended to 1yr from 6mths. I may also ask for discount on a safefill gas bottle and I am going to push for as many other extras I can think of.
I am happy with the dealer response so far.

The problem. I have just spotted this on autotrader and by all accounts looks like a better van. It is one yr younger with less mileage. It has recently had it's 5yr cam belt exchange along with guide and tensioner £666. It also has, according to the owner, had a recent habitation check £330.
The seller has been very good at communication.

Broken Link Removed

I am still worried about being scammed. I am supposed to be going to see this MH tomorrow. I could fob off the dealer until Friday but is it worth the risk for a saving of 3k?

The private sale one looks like it's in better condition, with an awning and very good mechanically and cosmetically.

phew...sorry about the length of post
TIA

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Morning Trev
Lost track of your movements. Are you back yet or still upsetting foreigners?;):giggle:
Is that at the coup at Shieldhall next to FIAT Commercial place?
Forgot they have one to weigh the commercial waste.
Do they have the facility to give independent front \ rear axle weights?
Yes and Yes, front wheel on, whole vehicle on then rear wheels on.
😜😜😜

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Its like when i sold my mountain bike back in march
I stated it had done 15000 miles around europe last year 😁 twas the truth

Just on the back of the motorhome
If I ever got anywhere near 150 miles on my bike the Transport Museum would be pestering me to donate it to them as it would be an antique! :whistle2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes and Yes, front wheel on, whole vehicle on then rear wheels on.
😜😜😜
So that's "Yes" you're home and "Yes" you're still pestering foreigners!:giggle:
Thanks for info on the weighbridge. One to remember.
There is \ was an aggregates place on South Street that I got to know one of the guys there that let me put the caravan (spit) and motorhome over but he moved on a few years ago.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
You should remember the golden rule

Dont rush out and start buying lots of stuff for the van straight off the bat ....i know its fun and so very tempting but generally you just end up with a lot of stuff you don't really need and just wastes your payload

Its best just to discover things when you are using the van

For instance i dont carry electric kettles etc because the gas one boils just as quick and i never need ehu anyway as everything runs off 12v or gas
Yep. good advice and got the same from the owner. The van is parked out on the main road next to the pub at the moment which is shut due to the restrictions. I think we should start getting it into storage place soon as I'm a bit nervous and keep going round to check it's still there lol. I did buy a steering lock on amazon though so it is on display. I was considering buying a wheel lock too for when we keep it on the road here at home. We are heading to Falkirk on Thursday to get recall work done so putting it into storage and getting it out again on Wednesday or Thursday morning is a bit of a faff. The appointment is at 9am and we're driving from Glasgow so will have to be up at the crack of dawn.
Just looked up 12v-24v kettles and read some reviews. Some folk are saying the same. don't bother. Just as fast boiling a camping kettle, which we have already. other than that all we've bought so far is duvets and pillows. We do need another folding table to do stuff outside, weather permitting as we want to keep the van nice as the last owner did. The sink in the van looks as though it's never been used. The sink cover which is reversible and can be used as a chopping board has never been used either. I don't think the last owners used anything in the van other than heat up things in the oven which they cooked at home which is why it is in such good condition.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
When we got ours we got a tracker from https://www.606060.com/ fitted and have them very good. If I inadvertently set the thing off they're on the mobile within a few seconds to ask if it's a problem or have I done it again!:doh:
Have a read of their website and if of interest give Carl a call, he's very good for a blether and would be able to point you in the direction of a fitter they recommend.
Sandra irnbru who's up in our neck of the woods as well got same fitted a few months back given distance down to Eddie but not sure where.
I'll certainly have a look at them. I spoke to the owner about a tracker. he and his wife are both ex police. I said I was surprised they did not have one fitted. I can't remember what he said exactly and I don't want to call him again and keep pestering him but he wasn't impressed by them. Something about the time it takes for the police to respond and he was doubtful if there was anyone manning the phones when you needed them. I did notice though when looking for insurance quotes it is one of the questions asked. I wonder though if it reduces your insurance much when you already reduce it by having an alarm and in a locked compound?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I've also done it myself lol

And then either lump it around for years unused or end up trying to sell it to someone else who doesn't really need it

The washing machine i took on a 10 month 9.5 thousand mile tour round Europe unused and then sold it to another funster for half the price who then also carried it around for months before selling it again to yet another funster springs to mind lol
Lol love the washing machine story. I didn't think you could get a washing machine into a MH??

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey SE 76-2T
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks Vic. Funny enough now that we have it we have both remarked how we are feeling like it's a bit of an anti-climax. Very strange. I think we'll start feeling a bit more exited about it when we go shopping for all the things we need and actually get away in it. We are to take it to a fiat dealer in Falkirk on Thursday for recall work on a transmission cable and plan to stay overnight around the Stirling area so it's not too far to drive. I need to call the dealer in the morning to find out when it's booked in. If we get the van back early enough we will head out a bit further. On the Friday morning the plan is to head over to Skye then on the Saturday head back down a bit and stay the Saturday night somewhere so we don't have far to get home for work on monday. We're not too bothered about racking up miles. Just a practise run to try out the van etc :giggle: :roflmto::giggle:
Maybe a bit off topic here, but I thought the rules in Scotland central belt were to stay local to your area. Folk in Skye might be a bit unhappy.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I did notice though when looking for insurance quotes it is one of the questions asked. I wonder though if it reduces your insurance much when you already reduce it by having an alarm and in a locked compound?
Some underwriters will demand a tracker be fitted (value dependent) others won't bother.
As said, we have fitted one and store in a CaSSOA gold location.
On the storage question I would suggest you start looking soonest as we found availability around Glasgow area to be limited however some of the locations operate on a "fixed Jan 1 to Dec 31" timeline (pro rata payment if outwith these dates) so availability tends to be sightly higher at the end of the year with them working through their waiting list.
Be aware, some underwriters will only accept a CaSSOA registered location whereas others wont.
Couple of locations for you look at -

Think Trev bigtree stores his van somewhere else so may be able to add?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Maybe a bit off topic here, but I thought the rules in Scotland central belt were to stay local to your area. Folk in Skye might be a bit unhappy.
To be honest I'm not sure about what rules are in place at the moment but if we are staying on a campsite which is open? I'll need to look up the Scottish gov website to see

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Some underwriters will demand a tracker be fitted (value dependent) others won't bother.
As said, we have fitted one and store in a CaSSOA gold location.
On the storage question I would suggest you start looking soonest as we found availability around Glasgow area to be limited however some of the locations operate on a "fixed Jan 1 to Dec 31" timeline (pro rata payment if outwith these dates) so availability tends to be sightly higher at the end of the year with them working through their waiting list.
Be aware, some underwriters will only accept a CaSSOA registered location whereas others wont.
Couple of locations for you look at -
I'll have a look although preferably as near to erskine/clydebank as possible. I already have a place in paisley but still to go and have a look at it. £50 per month. locked gates, 24hr security and cctv
Think Trev bigtree stores his van somewhere else so may be able to add?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I looked at the first one, Glasgow Caravan storage and they are quite a bit away from me, about twenty miles down the mate. all motorway at least

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
I've also done it myself lol

And then either lump it around for years unused or end up trying to sell it to someone else who doesn't really need it

The washing machine i took on a 10 month 9.5 thousand mile tour round Europe unused and then sold it to another funster for half the price who then also carried it around for months before selling it again to yet another funster springs to mind lol
I bought a 4Kv Champion Generator for previous van! Never used it but carried it around in the garage since new. Used it once in the garden to plug electric mower in to check it. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Cherub

Free Member
Sep 24, 2020
Glen Prosen, Angus, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Since 2009
Yep. good advice and got the same from the owner. The van is parked out on the main road next to the pub at the moment which is shut due to the restrictions. I think we should start getting it into storage place soon as I'm a bit nervous and keep going round to check it's still there lol. I did buy a steering lock on amazon though so it is on display. I was considering buying a wheel lock too for when we keep it on the road here at home. We are heading to Falkirk on Thursday to get recall work done so putting it into storage and getting it out again on Wednesday or Thursday morning is a bit of a faff. The appointment is at 9am and we're driving from Glasgow so will have to be up at the crack of dawn.
Just looked up 12v-24v kettles and read some reviews. Some folk are saying the same. don't bother. Just as fast boiling a camping kettle, which we have already. other than that all we've bought so far is duvets and pillows. We do need another folding table to do stuff outside, weather permitting as we want to keep the van nice as the last owner did. The sink in the van looks as though it's never been used. The sink cover which is reversible and can be used as a chopping board has never been used either. I don't think the last owners used anything in the van other than heat up things in the oven which they cooked at home which is why it is in such good condition.
Saw nice outdoor table with benches on the classifieds on here Steve. Can’t remember where they are located though, perhaps too far away for you.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I looked at the first one, Glasgow Caravan storage and they are quite a bit away from me, about twenty miles down the mate. all motorway at least
We're just on the north side of the Tunnel and store at Strathclyde. As you say, motorway all the way (well nearly) and takes us around 20-25 minutes (c18 miles) door to door.
Best of luck in your search.(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Are your insurers OK with parked on the road as a lot refuse cover for that.
I told them it would be kept in a storage place. I do have one nearby but not been and looked at it yet. I was thinking that if we wanted to get away in the morning and kept it on the road at our home the previous night and it got stolen how it would go with insurance?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Saw nice outdoor table with benches on the classifieds on here Steve. Can’t remember where they are located though, perhaps too far away for you.
I'll have a look. I bought the small one I have at Argos and they do a larger one. I'll have a look in Go Outdoors too

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I told them it would be kept in a storage place. I do have one nearby but not been and looked at it yet. I was thinking that if we wanted to get away in the morning and kept it on the road at our home the previous night and it got stolen how it would go with insurance?
Depends on the insurance company most allow up to 48 hour away from designated storage when unocupied.

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
If you’re at Falkirk on Thursday there’s a weighbridge near Kinross i have used. Between £5 and £10. I have also used Wyllie in Perth but they say they cannot weigh each axle, just the overall van. I guess it’s because there’s a ramp up to the platform which would result in underweighing - maybe that would be a benefit :)

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey SE 76-2T
Exp
Since 2016
To be honest I'm not sure about what rules are in place at the moment but if we are staying on a campsite which is open? I'll need to look up the Scottish gov website to see
I think you will find the rules are the same as ours In Ayrshire and Arran. Non essential travel outside you health board area is to be avoided as is traveling from other areas into the more restricted areas.

However I regularly see lots of motorhomes traveling or parked up near me so who am I to comment.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Depends on the insurance company most allow up to 48 hour away from designated storage when unocupied.
My insurance company, Safeguard, has the storage address as well as my home address and say it can be kept at either, even though I told them I have no drive so it is on the road.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
So that's "Yes" you're home and "Yes" you're still pestering foreigners!:giggle:
Thanks for info on the weighbridge. One to remember.
There is \ was an aggregates place on South Street that I got to know one of the guys there that let me put the caravan (spit) and motorhome over but he moved on a few years ago.
Sorry meant No and No. 🥴

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
My insurance company, Safeguard, has the storage address as well as my home address and say it can be kept at either, even though I told them I have no drive so it is on the road.
Yes I was going to call them tomorrow to make sure. It can't just be insured at the storage place, what about when we are away? wouldn't make sense that eh

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It's a table I'm looking for though
I think the item Cherub was referring to was this <Broken link removed>:
The point I was raising was it's good (parents had one in their caravan) however it does mean you may also have to carry chairs for sitting out in the sun (remember what that is given the weather we've got at the moment?).:Smile:
Hence separate chairs and table may be a better option for you?:unsure:

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Yes I was going to call them tomorrow to make sure. It can't just be insured at the storage place, what about when we are away? wouldn't make sense that eh
You are of course covered when you are away. Provided you don't do anything silly, like leaving it unlocked

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back