Buying privately (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello all, it's me, the pest again needing your wise words of wisdom.
I have a bit of a dilemma going on with our first purchase of a motorhome.
We have looked at a Hymer Exis T 588 at a dealer. £ 49,995. It is a 14 plate with 19k miles. The dealer has offered to discount an awning by 50% as the MH does not have this. They have also offered to discount a set of tyres as I asked for a new set. I don't know what age the tyres on it are but assume they could be original and therefore 6yrs old.
I am also going to ask that the warranty is extended to 1yr from 6mths. I may also ask for discount on a safefill gas bottle and I am going to push for as many other extras I can think of.
I am happy with the dealer response so far.

The problem. I have just spotted this on autotrader and by all accounts looks like a better van. It is one yr younger with less mileage. It has recently had it's 5yr cam belt exchange along with guide and tensioner £666. It also has, according to the owner, had a recent habitation check £330.
The seller has been very good at communication.

Broken Link Removed

I am still worried about being scammed. I am supposed to be going to see this MH tomorrow. I could fob off the dealer until Friday but is it worth the risk for a saving of 3k?

The private sale one looks like it's in better condition, with an awning and very good mechanically and cosmetically.

phew...sorry about the length of post
TIA

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Congratulations! Lovely van enjoy every moment!
looking at reviews on here is the Loch Lomond road a good idea for an initial run??
avoided it when we went a couple of years ago and a friend just returned and said would avoid in future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2020
Bolton
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
Well I only gone and did it:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:. Totally genuine couple. Spent about four hours there going over the van and it's like brand new..
I left work at 1pm. Got there for about 2.20 and I only just got back home ten minutes ago!
A mountain of receipts, booklets etc etc. The kitchen looks like it's hardly been used. Same with the toilet. They never used the carpets so they're brand new.
He's throwing in the two gas bottles, one is full.
I tried getting some cash off but he wasn't budging. Pick up on Saturday and we will take it for a wee spin up Loch Lomond way and have a cup of tea in it to start with then we are off next week so plenty of time to go around in it.
Off to look at insurance for it now. thanks again everybody

Thank you all for your help and advice. Great forum and great folk
Well done Steve...very exciting. We wish you all the best on your travels👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2019
South Hams
Funster No
MH
Hymer tsl708
Exp
A while now
You won’t regret your choice, we have a TSL708 and love it, slightly jealous of the part leather.
Enjoy getting to know your new pride and joy.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
That's the to do it ..happy daz 😁😁😁

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Steven that's great news.. (y) what a difference a week makes!!...by the weekend sat by loch lond..which is beautiful was there, many moons ago..wishing you both many great trips out..enjoy

:clap:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Steven that's great news.. (y) what a difference a week makes!!...by the weekend sat by loch lond..which is beautiful was there, many moons ago..wishing you both many great trips out..enjoy

:clap:
Yes looking forward to picking it up on Saturday and we'll drive straight to Loch Lomond to buy some essentials at Loch Lomond shores. Thank you for your support

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Whoooooooooooooooooooooopee!:party:
Well done that man.(y)
Have great travels and fun.:LOL:

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
You’re all such a nice bunch. I’ve been on a few biker forums and never had the support I’ve had on here. Will certainly be posting some pics :giggle:
Yes an absolutely solid gold bunch on here. Was in the same position as you around 3 months ago and the support and advice was invaluable. Strangely enough the one I bought was in Dunfermline as well.
Wishing you years of enjoyment.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
You'll feel the Hymer envy when you drive on a site🤣

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries