Buying privately (2 Viewers)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello all, it's me, the pest again needing your wise words of wisdom.
I have a bit of a dilemma going on with our first purchase of a motorhome.
We have looked at a Hymer Exis T 588 at a dealer. £ 49,995. It is a 14 plate with 19k miles. The dealer has offered to discount an awning by 50% as the MH does not have this. They have also offered to discount a set of tyres as I asked for a new set. I don't know what age the tyres on it are but assume they could be original and therefore 6yrs old.
I am also going to ask that the warranty is extended to 1yr from 6mths. I may also ask for discount on a safefill gas bottle and I am going to push for as many other extras I can think of.
I am happy with the dealer response so far.

The problem. I have just spotted this on autotrader and by all accounts looks like a better van. It is one yr younger with less mileage. It has recently had it's 5yr cam belt exchange along with guide and tensioner £666. It also has, according to the owner, had a recent habitation check £330.
The seller has been very good at communication.

Broken Link Removed

I am still worried about being scammed. I am supposed to be going to see this MH tomorrow. I could fob off the dealer until Friday but is it worth the risk for a saving of 3k?

The private sale one looks like it's in better condition, with an awning and very good mechanically and cosmetically.

phew...sorry about the length of post
TIA

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Most places I’ve been you can get 10lt for 10c. It’s a great way of getting rid of shrapnel. If I had to buy 100lt I would go elsewhere. I do have hose and adapters but in 5 years I have never used them :)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Most places I’ve been you can get 10lt for 10c. It’s a great way of getting rid of shrapnel. If I had to buy 100lt I would go elsewhere. I do have hose and adapters but in 5 years I have never used them :)
Only seen that very occasionally mostly in Germany. Don't want to mess about filling a 160lt tank.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
So how did you enjoy your maiden trip Steven? Fort Augustus wasn’t it?
Hi Cherub. Went well thanks if a bit cold and wet. I wouldn’t go away in that weather again though. Had hailstones and high winds on way back lol. Ok for our first outing to try things out but starts to get a bit wearing every time you go out you come back soaked.
I don’t think it’s stopped raining up here since we got the van:giggle:
Got a bit of sun on way up to Inverness on the Friday though and the colours of the trees in autumn was beautiful.

Upvote 0

Cherub

Free Member
Sep 24, 2020
Glen Prosen, Angus, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Since 2009
Aye it’s been a rough few days of storms and rain. Tree down in Kirriemuir on Saturday. Beautiful today though. Glad you had a nice run in her. Inverness is lovely too, one of our favourite places. May you have many more great times, may we ALL have many great times next year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Aye it’s been a rough few days of storms and rain. Tree down in Kirriemuir on Saturday. Beautiful today though. Glad you had a nice run in her. Inverness is lovely too, one of our favourite places. May you have many more great times, may we ALL have many great times next year.
Thank you and look forward to bumping into some of you in better times ,not literally hopefully :giggle:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back