Buying privately (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello all, it's me, the pest again needing your wise words of wisdom.
I have a bit of a dilemma going on with our first purchase of a motorhome.
We have looked at a Hymer Exis T 588 at a dealer. £ 49,995. It is a 14 plate with 19k miles. The dealer has offered to discount an awning by 50% as the MH does not have this. They have also offered to discount a set of tyres as I asked for a new set. I don't know what age the tyres on it are but assume they could be original and therefore 6yrs old.
I am also going to ask that the warranty is extended to 1yr from 6mths. I may also ask for discount on a safefill gas bottle and I am going to push for as many other extras I can think of.
I am happy with the dealer response so far.

The problem. I have just spotted this on autotrader and by all accounts looks like a better van. It is one yr younger with less mileage. It has recently had it's 5yr cam belt exchange along with guide and tensioner £666. It also has, according to the owner, had a recent habitation check £330.
The seller has been very good at communication.

Broken Link Removed

I am still worried about being scammed. I am supposed to be going to see this MH tomorrow. I could fob off the dealer until Friday but is it worth the risk for a saving of 3k?

The private sale one looks like it's in better condition, with an awning and very good mechanically and cosmetically.

phew...sorry about the length of post
TIA

OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
How much was it ?
That should tell you whether its 3.5 or 4.250

If it was £165 per annum its over 3.5 tonne

If its dearer than that then its 3.5 tonne
It was £283.50 for the year. We did it monthly was that a mistake? I do my car and bike that way and no interest is that right?
I do it that way so I don't forget each year

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It was £283.50 for the year. We did it monthly was that a mistake? I do my car and bike that way and no interest is that right?
Must be 3.5 tonne then

Its worthwhile weighing it before you fill it so you know what payload you have to play with. Then weigh it once you have packed it ready for a trip

Dont rely on previous owners telling you they were fine as little porkies arent unusual

I know my current van was running at 3.5tonne when i bought it as someone had downplated it from 3900kg

I had it put back as i could never run it sub 3.5t and im solo with just 2 small dogs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Well Steve you started of right by asking questions on here and you finished up A WINNER.

Enjoy your new adventure, we will 😀😀👍🏼
Thanks Vic. Funny enough now that we have it we have both remarked how we are feeling like it's a bit of an anti-climax. Very strange. I think we'll start feeling a bit more exited about it when we go shopping for all the things we need and actually get away in it. We are to take it to a fiat dealer in Falkirk on Thursday for recall work on a transmission cable and plan to stay overnight around the Stirling area so it's not too far to drive. I need to call the dealer in the morning to find out when it's booked in. If we get the van back early enough we will head out a bit further. On the Friday morning the plan is to head over to Skye then on the Saturday head back down a bit and stay the Saturday night somewhere so we don't have far to get home for work on monday. We're not too bothered about racking up miles. Just a practise run to try out the van etc :giggle: :roflmto::giggle:

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Thanks Vic. Funny enough now that we have it we have both remarked how we are feeling like it's a bit of an anti-climax. Very strange. I think we'll start feeling a bit more exited about it when we go shopping for all the things we need and actually get away in it. We are to take it to a fiat dealer in Falkirk on Thursday for recall work on a transmission cable and plan to stay overnight around the Stirling area so it's not too far to drive. I need to call the dealer in the morning to find out when it's booked in. If we get the van back early enough we will head out a bit further. On the Friday morning the plan is to head over to Skye then on the Saturday head back down a bit and stay the Saturday night somewhere so we don't have far to get home for work on monday. We're not too bothered about racking up miles. Just a practise run to try out the van etc :giggle: :roflmto::giggle:
Your enthusiasm will build as you start to use it, it's agreat van. As suggested above it's worth getting it weighed before you start buying all the extras so you know the payload you have to play with.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

Paying monthly does work out more than paying in one go. £283.50 in total if paid monthly and £270 if paid in one go.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Must be 3.5 tonne then

Its worthwhile weighing it before you fill it so you know what payload you have to play with. Then weigh it once you have packed it ready for a trip

Dont rely on previous owners telling you they were fine as little porkies arent unusual

I know my current van was running at 3.5tonne when i bought it as someone had downplated it from 3900kg

I had it put back as i could never run it sub 3.5t and im solo with just 2 small dogs

If you paid £283.50 that looks like it's plated at 3500kg. Our motorhome (plated at 4250kg) annual tax is £165. Yes, it's strange that a heavier motorhome has a lower tax.
As Tam says it would be best to get it over a weighbridge to see what payload capability you have.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
If you paid £283.50 that looks like it's plated at 3500kg. Our motorhome (plated at 4250kg) annual tax is £165. Yes, it's strange that a heavier motorhome has a lower tax.
As Tam says it would be best to get it over a weighbridge to see what payload capability you have.
The only weighbridge I know is the council recycling place and I don't know if they'll let me do it there?

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The only weighbridge I know is the council recycling place and I don't know if they'll let me do it there?
Think these guys still provide weighbridge access but better checking first.
Peter Stirling at Mossend rail terminal may have a weighbridge
other than that a call to your local council may get you others.
I put ours over a weighbridge

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
If you can may be worth staying a night at or very near home for a shake down. Most people forget something even if its only the kettle lead,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Think these guys still provide weighbridge access but better checking first.
Peter Stirling at Mossend rail terminal may have a weighbridge
other than that a call to your local council may get you others.
I put ours over a weighbridge
I'll have a look at them Gellyneck cheers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
If you can may be worth staying a night at or very near home for a shake down. Most people forget something even if its only the kettle lead,
Yes I'm feeling a bit swamped by the things to do so will no doubt forget loads of things. Looking up extra security right now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Don’t know where you are but I went to the Council weighbridge in Govan behind the Queen Elizabeth hospital, take a box of biscuits.
Yep that's the one I was thinking of. I will indeed take a box of biscuits or maybe a few cakes when I get back to work as I'm a baker

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Can I ask how I get a hold of eddiesvanbitz folks? I've clicked on his profile name but does he have a website?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
No problem at all and thanks for the heads up. I picked the van up yesterday. I had no problem driving it home or filling up at asda but I think I would avoid that bit of road in future. Saying that, if you want to head up to Fort William or Glencoe It's the quicker way rather than Inveraray-Oban way so I'll need to tackle it at some point :oops:
There’s always Lochearn , Glen Ogle.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A Tramp SL will be very difficult to run at 3500kg. Need to load it up with every thing you are likely to take on a 3 or4 week trip including fuel water food, bikes etc and get to a Weighbridge.

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Can I ask how I get a hold of eddiesvanbitz folks? I've clicked on his profile name but does he have a website?
It’s a long way for you and not quite as long way (but still a long way for us)! We have just been and still trying out everything! We made the journey part of a holiday and still heading home! I have to say the alarm and handover is much better than what we put on our previous van! You live and learn! We went for the best so we have the confidence to park up and not worry so much!

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Don’t know where you are but I went to the Council weighbridge in Govan behind the Queen Elizabeth hospital, take a box of biscuits.
Morning Trev
Lost track of your movements. Are you back yet or still upsetting foreigners?;):giggle:
Is that at the coup at Shieldhall next to FIAT Commercial place?
Forgot they have one to weigh the commercial waste.
Do they have the facility to give independent front \ rear axle weights?

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Yes I think most council weigh bridges can be used for a small fee to the council, but you may have to book a slot at the moment.
Did mine at our local council refuse and stores depot, similar it sounds to what you may have😊

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
It’s a long way for you and not quite as long way (but still a long way for us)! We have just been and still trying out everything! We made the journey part of a holiday and still heading home! I have to say the alarm and handover is much better than what we put on our previous van! You live and learn! We went for the best so we have the confidence to park up and not worry so much!
The van has a thatcham cat 1 fitted is that any good? I think the last owner had it fitted after buying new

Upvote 0

Deleted User
My local weighbridge is free if you don't need an invoice with the weights, I usually drive over slowly and take photos of the large digital display.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Yes I think most council weigh bridges can be used for a small fee to the council, but you may have to book a slot at the moment.
Did mine at our local council refuse and stores depot, similar it sounds to what you may have😊
I'll need to read up on the payload thing again. I did read about it on the camping and caravan club website. Then I'll look up the number with the council rather than just head over there to risk being turned away

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The van has a thatcham cat 1 fitted is that any good? I think the last owner had it fitted after buying new
Its certainly good enough for insurance purposes etc ...my van has a cobra cat 1 alarm fitted ...

Still makes a noise like every other

Protects all doors and lockers and has interior sensors etc that can be deactivated for when you are in the van or leave dogs in it etc

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You should remember the golden rule

Dont rush out and start buying lots of stuff for the van straight off the bat ....i know its fun and so very tempting but generally you just end up with a lot of stuff you don't really need and just wastes your payload

Its best just to discover things when you are using the van

For instance i dont carry electric kettles etc because the gas one boils just as quick and i never need ehu anyway as everything runs off 12v or gas

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
When we got ours we got a tracker from https://www.606060.com/ fitted and have them very good. If I inadvertently set the thing off they're on the mobile within a few seconds to ask if it's a problem or have I done it again!:doh:
Have a read of their website and if of interest give Carl a call, he's very good for a blether and would be able to point you in the direction of a fitter they recommend.
Sandra irnbru who's up in our neck of the woods as well got same fitted a few months back given distance down to Eddie but not sure where.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Dont rush out and start buying lots of stuff for the van straight off the bat ....i know its fun and so very tempting but generally you just end up with a lot of stuff you don't really need and just wastes your payload
Shut yirsel up, Tam!:swear2:
You've obviously been watching us buying all the cr*p that we've filled the van up with.:whistle2::doh::crying::RollEyes:;):giggle:

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Shut yirsel up, Tam!:swear2:
You've obviously been watching us buying all the cr*p that we've filled the van up with.:whistle2::doh::crying::RollEyes:;):giggle:
I've also done it myself lol

And then either lump it around for years unused or end up trying to sell it to someone else who doesn't really need it

The washing machine i took on a 10 month 9.5 thousand mile tour round Europe unused and then sold it to another funster for half the price who then also carried it around for months before selling it again to yet another funster springs to mind lol

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The washing machine i took on a 10 month 9.5 thousand mile tour round Europe unused and then sold it to another funster for half the price who then also carried it around for months before selling it again to yet another funster springs to mind lol
Well, at least it's still working - going round and round!;):giggle:

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well, at least it's still working - going round and round!;):giggle:
Probably the best travelled portable machine in existence.

Its like when i sold my mountain bike back in march
I stated it had done 15000 miles around europe last year 😁 twas the truth

Just on the back of the motorhome

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back