Awning Heater Help (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I disagree with the use of electric heaters in awning but would also remind everyone that any solid or gas fueled heaters will produce Carbon Monoxide (CO) which in a confined area, sealed from draughts, would be deadly.
Not would be, has been. Two children died in a tent a few years ago because a still lit barbecue had been left in the tent overnight. Yes, an awning is probably better ventilated than a tent but why take the risk?

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
And that's adult like is it?
Suppose they had a piece of medical equipment in the van, or medicines in a fridge requiring constant refrigeration?
Hope I Never have the misfortune to park near you at a group rally or anywhere else.
Is this how Munsters think / behave?
What medical equipment would be on when not in use? An unopened fridge stays cold for hours so no risk there. Actually, I would probably have mentioned it to the site warden/manager hoping he would have spoken to the culprit. Many sites actually have notices saying no heaters are to be used in awnings.

You may not be aware that sites have a finite electric supply. The hookups may be 16amps but if every hookup was used to its fullest extent the sites main fuse would fail cutting off power to everything on site.

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I have no idea what might or might not be switched on in another person's motorhome, the point is, it is my motorhome and you gave no right to meddle, mess, move, touch or otherwise as it is not you property.
The correct procedure would be to speak with the site owners or wardens or tally marshalls to voice your concerns or complaint.
I did NOT realise this post would create such a lot of opinionated "My way or else" opinions.
I only want to put on a blooming small ceramic heater for probably no more than an hour in the morning and dame at night to just take the damp and chill out of the air, not warm the awning to grow Cannabis, for god's sake!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I only want to put on a blooming small ceramic heater for probably no more than an hour in the morning and dame at night to just take the damp and chill out of the air, not warm the awning to grow Cannabis, for god's sake!
That was not the impression your opening post gave and from other’s posts, not the impression they had.

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Selective in your reply Potty!
I think I asked for advice, not opinions on who can do what and how I am pushing up the costs on site.
Thought this was a friendly group.
Apparently , it seems in some quarters, not!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I think there may be some slight confusion about what constitutes an awning on a Motorhome

We are talking about heating a safari room not just a wind out roof ?
Presumed that,,we are not thick,,:LOL::LOL::LOL:BUSBY.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
And an 8.1L RV doesn’t pollute then and “waste valuable resources” Hmmm.

Don't pick a scrap with me about my motorhome. You would not even begin to understand, and I have no intention of ever explaining it.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
You're only jealous cos Mike can drive into London without penalty. :giggler:

AND Uncle PPJ, have a proper usable payload. :gum:

Central London in a Winnebago. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I drove around Marble Arch and Hyde Park Corner today in a car, taking Management to the Royal Brompton. It was great fun, not. :moon2:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Most sites charge for the amount of electricity used, especially in Spain so be careful. Some do not and a few of these may give up to 16 Amp Lecce, many will do 10 Amp and quite a few as little as 6 Amp which usually results in constant power failures in the winter when us old uns turn the heating on resulting in overloaded circuts. If you are lucky and and have 16 Amps (Possibly 10 Amps too) all included in the daily rate, then you are good to go, cost wise. Oil fired radiators are cheap, very safe and will chuck out enough heat depending on size. We have used them in the past inside the Motorhome and found them to be most effective. Just take a little time in heating up the area. https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/oil-...ir5XBbxwJFjeRTvaz_m21sew1-79HKPAaAjs6EALw_wcB

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Small world :). The heater will be safe in the awning assuming your van is protected by its built-in RCD.
Thanks Tony, and yes we have a recently fully tested and passed RCD, but I am always still carefull on site not to overdue the juice.
According to some of these posts you would think I wanted to have enough electricity for Blackpools illuminations!

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
AND Uncle PPJ, have a proper usable payload. :gum:

Central London in a Winnebago. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I drove around Marble Arch and Hyde Park Corner today in a car, taking Management to the Royal Brompton. It was great fun, not. :moon2:
Rather you than me My friend. Hate London traffic.

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Rather you than me My friend. Hate London traffic.
I have a perfectly adequate payload for what I want to do, as I dont take much stuff and we cope admirably with our UK travels, which we fit in between the 3 cruises a year and using the villa in portugal. Good enough for you!
My dads Bigger than your dad ner ner ner ner ner.
Jees.... whats wrong with people?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

The first two responses answered your fundamental question. The rest are people expressing their opinions on the general practice of heating yawning spaces; you don’t have to like them/agree with them.

Ian

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Most sites charge for the amount of electricity used, especially in Spain so be careful. Some do not and a few of these may give up to 16 Amp Lecce, many will do 10 Amp and quite a few as little as 6 Amp which usually results in constant power failures in the winter when us old uns turn the heating on resulting in overloaded circuts. If you are lucky and and have 16 Amps (Possibly 10 Amps too) all included in the daily rate, then you are good to go, cost wise. Oil fired radiators are cheap, very safe and will chuck out enough heat depending on size. We have used them in the past inside the Motorhome and found them to be most effective. Just take a little time in heating up the area. https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/oil-heaters?s=go&t=Oil Radiator&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuZDtBRDvARIsAPXFx3D-q__JEu1u2Ru5r6KuUEair5XBbxwJFjeRTvaz_m21sew1-79HKPAaAjs6EALw_wcB
Thank you for you full and informative explanation
Can you expand on that big boy!:h::h:
Ohhh Err Matron!

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Phil and Mena, thanks for your detailed reply.
I seem to think some people believe I am going abroad, as Spain keeps coming up, but my MH wont leave the UK and we are doing some winter motorhoming in the UK.
I realise electricity is expensive in any country and I would never be so inconsiderate as to abuse a sites rules or to be wastefull.
I am considering a generator also for off-grid travelling, hence my asking some detailed questions, and I appreciate the idea of an oil filled radiator, si its something to consider.
Thanks again anyway for the post.
Iain

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Phil and Mena, thanks for your detailed reply.
I seem to think some people believe I am going abroad, as Spain keeps coming up, but my MH wont leave the UK and we are doing some winter motorhoming in the UK.
I realise electricity is expensive in any country and I would never be so inconsiderate as to abuse a sites rules or to be wastefull.
I am considering a generator also for off-grid travelling, hence my asking some detailed questions, and I appreciate the idea of an oil filled radiator, si its something to consider.
Thanks again anyway for the post.
Iain
PhilandMena, no not offended in any way.
just a shame voice inflection cant be heard when using the written word to gain the context of a persons point, otherwise people get the wrong idea, like I did. Apologies.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
[
I am considering a generator also for off-grid travelling, hence my asking some detailed questions,
Iain
Be aware many, many motorhomers are extremely sensitive about generator use. If your going to use one, look at the Honda ones, quite expensive but there very quiet. There restricted on most sites too.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
But the vast majority do abuse it.
Some must do. We have used the Haven site network and this year,, when booking for a site in Yorkshire I noticed there is now a charge for services. This was never put on invoice before and when I queried it was told it was because some wish not to have the electric/water so you now have a button to REMOVE it. they have not reduced the pitch prices as far as I can tell, but now charge £4 per night for grass pitch or £6 for large/hard standing pitches. Means my next 5 nights away has risen by around 50%. Still a bargain price though.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I have no issue heating an awning in use. In fact, when we fostered it was the only way to fit enough people in and still go away in the colder months was to use an awning. We would use it to take the chill off at bedtime.

I would never heat an unused awning though, that’s just daft.

One occasion when it dropped to minus temps a couple of nights the kids were froze so I left it on low and used the gas heating in the caravan to supplement it.
Not everyone who uses an awning heater is being greedy and selfish. I even bunged the site owner an extra £20 which would have more than covered the cost.
A bit of tolerance to others needs goes a long way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back