Awning Heater Help (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
We are about to use our free standing awning during colder climes in the UK and would like any advice on using a portable heater in it.
We will be on 16 amp hook ups mostly and I am unsure if a standard electric ceramic type heater will have a too big draw at around 1800 watts.
Are such heaters available at much lower wattage.
We have purchased a low wattage microwave at 600 watts and this works really well for cooking in the motorhome, so should I be looking for a similar low wattage heater so as not to trip the hook up?
All advice greatly received, thanks.
Iain

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Simply divide the Wattage of any appliance by 230 to find out the current it needs in Amps. Your 1800W heater will therefore draw 7.5A. Incidentally microwave ovens are rated by cooking power - you'll find a label on it that tells you the actual consumption. Yours is likely to be around 1000W.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I’ve never understood the thinking regarding heaters in an awning.

If it’s cold enough to warrant a heater, go inside your Motorhome where you can be warm.

1800W will consume 8 Amps.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Thanks Tony for the advice. I actually work for a company based in Kendal, so a bit weird seeing your address.
I also am / was a Ham operator and I think I was 20CQM.
Long Long time ago and never took the full exam and remained on a novice licence.
With the MH I am again rekindling my passion of Radio but must seriously brush up on my theory / electrical knowledge, but now have more time to get back to the hobby.
Understand the amp draw but was just generally wondering if such a device was not only practical, but also safe, what with damp conditions etc.
In the Spring / Summer we don’t bother.
And yes I think the micro is about 1000 w , it was sold as low wattage and is neat and compact, if a little heavy.

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Thanks Ian for your view. The awning is to be used with a group of friends so serves as a sort of communal hub when on site and gives us extra space as we could not all fit in the MH and it might be a bit too cosy if we did!
Understand your thinking though.
Cheers
Iain.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I’ve never understood the thinking regarding heaters in an awning.

If it’s cold enough to warrant a heater, go inside your Motorhome where you can be warm.

1800W will consume 8 Amps.

Ian
That is why we have to pay extra abroad in the winter for leccy..People in the past heating their awnings,,mainly caravaners and costing the sites a fortune..BUSBY..?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks Tony for the advice. I actually work for a company based in Kendal, so a bit weird seeing your address.
Long Long time ago and never took the full exam and remained on a novice licence.
With the MH I am again rekindling my passion of Radio but must seriously brush up on my theory / electrical knowledge, but now have more time to get back to the hobby.
Understand the amp draw but was just generally wondering if such a device was not only practical, but also safe, what with damp conditions etc.
In the Spring / Summer we don’t bother.
And yes I think the micro is about 1000 w , it was sold as low wattage and is neat and compact, if a little heavy.
Small world :). The heater will be safe in the awning assuming your van is protected by its built-in RCD.

Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
Just come back from a few days on a site in Norfolk, caravan pulls up next to us he spends the rest of the day putting an awning up bigger than the twin axel caravan for just him and his wife , he walks puts me and says the cost of theses sites is getting to much they are taking the pi"" then he puts a three bar electric heater on , which was on from 8-00 in morning till 11-00 at night even when they went out for the day they left it on , each to there own ,

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Well I hope you do not BBQ outside when you have a perfectly good hob to cook on in you house and van !! ?
Yes, we do barbecue outside but that is only using the same amount of energy that we would use if we cooked inside and cooking inside would mean using the extractor fan, so we are using less energy by barbecuing. Heating an awning is really just heating the outside air.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Just come back from a few days on a site in Norfolk, caravan pulls up next to us he spends the rest of the day putting an awning up bigger than the twin axel caravan for just him and his wife , he walks puts me and says the cost of theses sites is getting to much they are taking the pi"" then he puts a three bar electric heater on , which was on from 8-00 in morning till 11-00 at night even when they went out for the day they left it on , each to there own ,
Think I might have disconnected his hookup!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, we do barbecue outside but that is only using the same amount of energy that we would use if we cooked inside and cooking inside would mean using the extractor fan, so we are using less energy by barbecuing. Heating an awning is really just heating the outside air.

Is that a fact, well I never. (y)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
When we worked on a campsite there were always a lot of Caravan awnings with heaters blazing away.....the people were always in the Caravan with doors & windows shut!
One van used to stay an site-seasonal let-& when they went home just left the heating running!
Campsites hate awning heaters!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think there may be some slight confusion about what constitutes an awning on a Motorhome

We are talking about heating a safari room not just a wind out roof ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think there may be some slight confusion about what constitutes an awning on a Motorhome

Don't think there is any confusion.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I would have pulled the plug

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000

No confusion in my mind and really no difference. A safari room is an uninsulated tent. Any heat will just go straight out of the walls. I have seen signs on some sites banning them, Should be banned on all.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have you seen what a Novice licence has access top nowadays ? !
If your call sign started 2E0, you have an intermediate licence ( what was a Novice.. And there are BIG differences in what you can use nowadays ! )
Use up to 50W, and access to ALL the HF, VHF and UHF bands ( canna find any info on microwave use at the moment.. was looking for it the other day for some one )

Re callsign........ PM on the way

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
No confusion in my mind and really no difference. A safari room is an uninsulated tent. Any heat will just go straight out of the walls. I have seen signs on some sites banning them, Should be banned on all.

I was proposing using my portable gas heater, really can’t see why you would mind that , but we all have different views on most things

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I disagree with the use of electric heaters in awning but would also remind everyone that any solid or gas fueled heaters will produce Carbon Monoxide (CO) which in a confined area, sealed from draughts, would be deadly.

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Think I might have disconnected his hookup!
And that's adult like is it?
Suppose they had a piece of medical equipment in the van, or medicines in a fridge requiring constant refrigeration?
Hope I Never have the misfortune to park near you at a group rally or anywhere else.
Is this how Munsters think / behave?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back