A motorhome is no good for us, because we need a car! (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
We do.

None of that, when we arrive press button on air suspension to level, don't need EHU, have ant-rupture valves & secumotion regulator so gas is already on, always leave home or previous stop with a full tank of water. :giggle:
Lovely Lenny, but not everyone has those luxuries .
We are a Motor Caravan, as described on the V5, so their seems to be many sections of “motorhome” ranging from camper to pvc, motorised caravan etc etc right upto fully blown liners , all with the capability, or not, to take a vast array of extras and devices to make each persons motorhome experience what it is.
Ours, I would say, is mid way between caravanning and mid level motorhoming, based not on price, but facilities and add-ons, and being 20 years old, so not exactly state of the art.
But it does us and we like it.
Each to their own and their type of use.
Ours is UK only and in between other flying or cruising foreign holidays, so a bit of a part-timer really. 😊

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lovely Lenny, but not everyone has those luxuries .
We are a Motor Caravan, as described on the V5, so their seems to be many sections of “motorhome” ranging from camper to pvc, motorised caravan etc etc right upto fully blown liners , all with the capability, or not, to take a vast array of extras and devices to make each persons motorhome experience what it is.
Ours, I would say, is mid way between caravanning and mid level motorhoming, based not on price, but facilities and add-ons, and being 20 years old, so not exactly state of the art.
But it does us and we like it.
Each to their own and their type of use.
Ours is UK only and in between other flying or cruising foreign holidays, so a bit of a part-timer really. 😊
I don't class ours as luxurious just a mid range van, only had the air fitted as I couldn't stand the very hard ride our van had. We would probably be just as happy in a classic Hymer.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just how many of these 'younger couples' with caravans can actually have a driving licence to pull it. The limit is 750kgs and that is not a very plush caravan after all. All the ones you see with the 4X4 and four wheeler that are in their early thirties are probably not legal and just do not know it, until the shit hits the fan with an accident, fines, insurance walkouts and claims against them as well as losing everything they had and a debt to pay off. How many actually know about the E licence and the special driving courses needed?
Interestingly it would still be cheaper to get a towing licence and a new or newish Caravan than it would be to buy a MoHo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
So when you arrive on a site, do you not have to also connect your EHU, turn on your gas bottles and possibly use leveling ramps, all of which again are external operations, same as a caravan.
Admittedly, a caravan may well have some things in the Isles of the living area for transporting which will be needed outside at some point, like an awning etc and would make immediate sitting in the lounge a little tight, but I think for both motorhome and caravan use in any weather, it's more about how you plan your arrival and how you would adjust if you could not immediately disembark and set up as needed. (awning in the car boot with other awning essentials etc) whilst the caravan is filled with just the stuff needed for immediate on site internal use.
When we towed a four berth caravan with 2 adults, 2 children and a dog and arrived on site, It was a well practised and orderly routine, especially if raining.
One person only would unhook, drop legs and secure and unlock the door.
Then occupants would go from car straight into caravan. NO faffing about.
Then I would connect EHU and water and only one person is then getting wet.
Awning up when weather improves, just leave it stored in the car boot until then.
Personally I think a lot is to do with how you plan your on-site arrival and set-up and how organised you are.
Have also seen many families arrive on sites in what might be considered a disorganised manner to some, trying to set up, with all the distractions and excitement that caravanning and motorhoming brings to any family.
Should I be on a site, set up and the weather turns and a new arrival turns up near me, and is looking as if they might struggle, especially with an awning and small children, I have offered a hand of assistance with the awning to get them settled in quickly and dry, IF they should want it.
Have helped quite a few in our time.
We now have a motorhome which we use as 2 and a dog, or with our grandchildren so 4 and a dog, and no awning but a pop-up gazebo type thingy, and with 4 up, our set up procedures are pretty much the same as a caravan other than getting water, which is on board.
For either caravan or motorhome I think, personally, it is more about organisation of how you go about your set up, rather than one being inheritantly better than the other.
Horses for courses, I guess. 😊
Read my post again. It was tongue in cheek.

Read the comment re “Seriously, we have done all three and enjoyed it”.

I don’t disagree with anything in your post and particularly agree with your penultimate sentence.

However, re your first sentence. No, if the weather is bad on arrival the gas is already on, we can operate on battery, and levelling ramps can wait until the weather improves. Incidentally, we bought new ramps four years ago and, accepting that we have done little travelling over the last year, have only used them once.

Caravan/motorhome/tent, all have their place. We started with camping, then bought a caravan. Following a serious accident on the M4 Motorway we then switched to a motorhome. After a few years we traded in the motorhome for a caravan + cash to part finance the purchase of a property in France. Then, a few years later, we bought a motorhome again. I still use a small tent when motor biking.

All have their advantages/disadvantages. Life is too short to spend too long arguing over each one’s merits. We just need to get out and enjoy our personal preference.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I don't class ours as luxurious just a mid range van, only had the air fitted as I couldn't stand the very hard ride our van had. We would probably be just as happy in a classic Hymer.
If I had a newer van, say around 10 years old max, I would certainly be looking at some extra mods, direct solar being one on the roof, possibly lithium batteries and maybe air levellers, but currently, in the economies of scale, and potential resale based on wear and tear and age, think any more add-ons are uneconomical.
Unless any owners think differently I am always open to suggestions or ideas. 😊

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Read my post again. It was tongue in cheek.

Read the comment re “Seriously, we have done all three and enjoyed it”.

I don’t disagree with anything in your post and particularly agree with your penultimate sentence.

However, re your first sentence. No, if the weather is bad on arrival the gas is already on, we can operate on battery, and levelling ramps can wait until the weather improves. Incidentally, we bought new ramps four years ago and, accepting that we have done little travelling over the last year, have only used them once.

Caravan/motorhome/tent, all have their place. We started with camping, then bought a caravan. Following a serious accident on the M4 Motorway we then switched to a motorhome. After a few years we traded in the motorhome for a caravan + cash to part finance the purchase of a property in France. Then, a few years later, we bought a motorhome again. I still use a small tent when motor biking.

All have their advantages/disadvantages. Life is too short to spend too long arguing over each one’s merits. We just need to get out and enjoy our personal preference.
Quite agree. Wasn’t intending to criticise your usage.
We have moved through all 3 areas, camping, caravanning and now to a motorhome , although it is classed as a motorised caravan.
Strangely, and of late , I have been thinking of going BACK to a caravan (lockdown does some strange things in the thinking department) and a main issue for us getting a caravan onto our drive now, but I have considered widening it to allow fo a reverse swing ,off a minor road but on a hill ,with a blind bend.
Motorhome, obviously is so much easier.
Our use is infrequent and high days and holidays, as we travel mainly on flighted European and Asian continents for extended stays.
But the main point I was trying to portray was that whatever anyones set up is, good organisation and routine discipline is key to getting on site and setting up without stress or arguments.
😊

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If I had a newer van, say around 10 years old max, I would certainly be looking at some extra mods, direct solar being one on the roof, possibly lithium batteries and maybe air levellers, but currently, in the economies of scale, and potential resale based on wear and tear and age, think any more add-ons are uneconomical.
Unless any owners think differently I am always open to suggestions or ideas. 😊
I would agree with you, had to think very hard about spending the money for air on our van when it was 2 years old much easier when it's new.
Our van is our main source of holidays spend 120 days plus in it in a normal year nearly all in mainland Europe. The only air trips we make now is to visit our daughter in Thailand.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Interesting, never thought about hiring a car once on site. Now that would be a good service for the club sites to offer to organise.
We’re still new the MH (15 months) as caravanned for past 15 years, so the jury is out. Ideally we’d have both as they both have their merits.
Nor have I! I know we lugged bikes all the way to Spain and the campsite we were on hired bikes cheap as chips ...

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Interesting, never thought about hiring a car once on site. Now that would be a good service for the club sites to offer to organise.
We’re still new the MH (15 months) as caravanned for past 15 years, so the jury is out. Ideally we’d have both as they both have their merits.
Now THAT is a brilliant idea!
Has a lot of possibilities for both clubs (c and cc and camc) plus all the independents or group owned haven type parks that have touring pitches.
I like that!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have a motorhome, the Laika, and I have a doblo, registered as a motorcaravan, so converted a while ago, it has everything needed for 1 person although it is a 2 berth, I love it, both are registered with CAMC despite putting the reg in they often expect the other to turn up, the Laika and easilifter just don't fit on the miniscule pitches they alocate for Dobbie, always gets sorted though.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
We were on a site last winter in Benidorm and a lovely slightly older couple than us pulled across from us in they’re motorhome, a quick word/wave to say hello and left them to it.

next day off they went on a bus to Alicante airport and came back with a hire car which cost them 43€ for 41 nights, yes the figures are correct and he showed me the receipt. He arranged his own yearly overseas insurance for less than £40, he showed me that as well and where to get it from

“Its not who you know it’s what you know” he winked 😉👍😂

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Motorhomes work fine in the U.K.

This was our outfit until six years ago 30ft RV with car on A Frame , we travelled England Scotland Skye Wales ROI etc parked up on sites and explored in car.
We also took RV without car to Spain Portugal France and more using aires and sites and bikes on rack

View attachment 483608
Please forget my request to live in your shed.... That will do nicely. Thank you. :)

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
We were on a site last winter in Benidorm and a lovely slightly older couple than us pulled across from us in they’re motorhome, a quick word/wave to say hello and left them to it.

next day off they went on a bus to Alicante airport and came back with a hire car which cost them 43€ for 41 nights, yes the figures are correct and he showed me the receipt. He arranged his own yearly overseas insurance for less than £40, he showed me that as well and where to get it from

“Its not who you know it’s what you know” he winked 😉👍😂
Yes, a work colleague of mine had a house in Spain and he used to do exactly the same, arrange in uk and then hire in Spain.
Said it was less hassle and a LOT cheaper, and a very good cover of insurance.
Clever.
Oh and when his grandchildren went he advanced hired child seats as well and he told me they were top notch standard, full isofix fittings and suitable upto 12 years of age.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
We met some people on the beach in Norfolk. We asked them where they were staying and they had a caravan parked at the Sandringham Estate. We told them we were in a motorhome. They replied that they couldn't have a motorhome because they needed a car. This still makes me giggle because how did they think we'd got to the beach?

From what I've seen, motorhomes are getting more and more popular. Will they overtake caravans in popularity?
We use a Westfalia pop-top on Mercedes Vito 5.4m Auto 2m H & it is our only vehicle. Use daily & park around the market place where we live in France. Only time we are stuffed for parking is when height is ^ other way up 2m. Love 💘 it.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Well there are certainly advantages in both. I think a good combination is a Moho with a scooter for two,but we can’t carry one. Next best thing is bikes,which we can.

If I really had a problem with it I would buy a motorhome with a large rear garage to fit a scooter/moped.
I agree. Usually The best combination for us too. Unfortunately my missus is awaiting a hip operation and can’t get her leg over, no rude comments, so we use a smart toad at the moment. Not something I like to do but needs must.
Phil

Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Tented when kids where younger , 4 caravans in 4 years before we bought our VWT5 Bilbos. Like driving the Bilbos easier than towing but like a lot have said once you plan ahead and have a routine on balance I prefer a small caravan . I say this without having tried a PVC/motorhome with all the facilities, it’s that what I miss also space with us having a dog now.
Next year we hope to hire a 5.4-6m pvc to see how we get on.
Did consider a camplet but my wife soon put her foot down.
Again I’ve never tried travelling further afield than the U.K a good in a van.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We do.

None of that, when we arrive press button on air suspension to level, don't need EHU, have ant-rupture valves & secumotion regulator so gas is already on, always leave home or previous stop with a full tank of water. :giggle:
I must admit that you may be the only one that does

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We've also come up through the ranks. Tent first, then trailer tent, caravan, then a yacht for some years. When my husband lost his sea legs, we bought our first motorhome.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Lenny HB said:
We do.

must admit that you may be the only one that does

no he ain’t as we go/do exactly the same 👍

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Got a trike and a bus pass gets me everywhere I want to go and trike is easy to tow on back wheels

An pictures of the trike? Would love to see. I used to enjoy riding on the back of my Dad's friends trike when I was a kid. And later in the sidecar of my Dad's combination.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
no he ain’t as we go/do exactly the same
Blimey , I have never seen that before. How do you get 4 days in your grey tank ? We shower every day, washing up etc . We can’t be the only ones who shower everyday.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
All you need are a couple of push bikes or shanks pony. BUSBY😆

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not luxurious☺️ You have servants quarters built in..BUSBY🤣

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Blimey , I have never seen that before. How do you get 4 days in your grey tank ? We shower every day, washing up etc . We can’t be the only ones who shower everyday.
no one has mentioned emptying anything, just setting off and arriving procedures 😉👍

that said i’m pretty certain sure 4 days before emptying the grey tank is doable quite easily

i’ll test it this week 👍👍👍

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
no one has mentioned emptying anything, just setting off and arriving procedures 😉👍

that said i’m pretty certain sure 4 days before emptying the grey tank is doable quite easily

We and many others don’t do, doable. It’s meant to be enjoyed not endured. The setting up I said only water barrel is needed, no etc. Just pointing out that regular caravan people sets up extremely quick.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

Not in our van it isn't.:blusher:

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
We and many others don’t do, doable. It’s meant to be enjoyed not endured. The setting up I said only water barrel is needed, no etc. Just pointing out that regular caravan people sets up extremely quick.
who says it’s an endurance, not me 👍

we usually park up on fully serviced pitches if onsite and the grey tank is piped straight into a drain.

TBH i really can’t believe you when you say it’s only the water barrel that’s needed, every caravanner i've watched set up has

1. got out of the car to level up and lower the legs,

2. hooked up

3. brought water

4. turn the gas on

whereas i’ve pushed a button and made a cuppa

it’s not a p!ssing contest btw 👍😉

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
who says it’s an endurance, not me 👍

we usually park up on fully serviced pitches if onsite and the grey tank is piped straight into a drain.

TBH i really can’t believe you when you say it’s only the water barrel that’s needed, every caravanner i've watched set up has

1. got out of the car to level up and lower the legs,

2. hooked up

3. brought water

4. turn the gas on

whereas i’ve pushed a button and made a cuppa

it’s not a p!ssing contest btw 👍😉
You have hydraulic legs then so no leveling. I was thinking more like for like, but we will beg to differ

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That sounds awesome. Is that a common feature? How off level can it fix?
About 5" on the front & 4" on the rear nowhere near as much as the hydraulic jacks but gets us level 90 % of the time but did cost over 7k.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back