A motorhome is no good for us, because we need a car! (1 Viewer)

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
An pictures of the trike? Would love to see. I used to enjoy riding on the back of my Dad's friends trike when I was a kid. And later in the sidecar of my Dad's combination.
Screenshot_20190729-083241.jpg

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
About 5" on the front & 4" on the rear nowhere near as much as the hydraulic jacks but gets us level 90 % of the time but did cost over 7k.

I bet my whole camper hasn't cost that. 😂 Just awesome that that exists. I bet it's handy. I just sleep with my head in the highest corner of the bed and push my water down the plughole. 😂 Very posh! I like it.

May 2, 2017
Huddersfield westyorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E765 2004
Exp
1 year
got mine off face book market place but its made by a company that trades on ebay around £165 new for the cradle or £4oo for a dolly which im looking at latter this year hope this helps
Daz

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I got our great granddaughter a cradle & dolly from ebay for much less than that, the dolly came with day & night outfits as well 😉 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
About 5" on the front & 4" on the rear nowhere near as much as the hydraulic jacks but gets us level 90 % of the time but did cost over 7k.
At the risk of asking a daft question, but why is it of such importance, generally and not personally, that a motorhome is absolutely level?
Does it affect gas flow to a fridge or water if not 100%flat?
Dont think I have ever had ours fully level and can't say I noticed much difference.
Just an observation.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
At the risk of asking a daft question, but why is it of such importance, generally and not personally, that a motorhome is absolutely level?
Dont think I have ever had ours fully level and can't say I noticed much difference.
Just an observation.

A few reasons we aim for a level campervan:
  • We sleep better; we don't move around in bed so much and don't end up crammed against the sides or bottom of the bed or end up with blood rushing to our heads
  • We feel less nausea moving around the van
  • Water drains better
  • The fridge works
  • It is safer; hot pans don't slide off the hob

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just an observation.
Doesn't bother us too much as long as heads above our feet and the wine & beer don't slide off the table it's OK. We wouldn't pay another 5½k for leveling jacks. The fact that we can due a reasonable job of leveling with the air suspension is just a side benifit of the system, its not its main purpose.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
A few reasons we aim for a level campervan:
  • We sleep better; we don't move around in bed so much and don't end up crammed against the sides or bottom of the bed or end up with blood rushing to our heads
  • We feel less nausea moving around the van
  • Water drains better
  • The fridge works
  • It is safer; hot pans don't slide off the hob
Crikey!
It would have to be some slope for pans to slide off a cooker!
If I was to end up on a site with that level of levelling needed, think I would move on.
Only a personal view, mind.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Crikey!
It would have to be some slope for pans to slide off a cooker!
If I was to end up on a site with that level of levelling needed, think I would move on.
Only a personal view, mind.
It doesn't take much for pans to be easy to slide off. My better half scalded her foot when a saucepan of boiling water slide off the hob while we were parked up in a carpark that was pretty flat, just not flat enough.

Gromitandvan

Free Member
Aug 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Mclouis Fusion 367
Exp
We did consider a caravan, our car (which is used to tow a trailer) is capable of towing any caravan apart from 5th wheelers. But, experience from friends who are lifetime carvanners is that they never tow their vans. They have a permanent pitch on a site which they and their family members/friends use like a holiday home. We went down the motorhome route for comfort/mobility so we can move on every day if we wish. We are never going to stay in the same place for long. The disadvantage of this arrangement is going shopping for simple things such as daily bread and croissants. At the moment I use shanks pony or hop on a bicycle.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
It is the quest screen house 4 sided pop up. I bought it in the sale a couple of years ago. Along with sides. It was through a post on this site someone recommended it. Brilliant and so quick to put up. 😊
another quest screen house 4 pro..user great bit of kit :clap: :clap: works great for us..literally 5 mins all sorted😁

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
another quest screen house 4 pro..user great bit of kit :clap: :clap: works great for us..literally 5 mins all sorted😁
Yes, am thinking of selling my decathlon inflatable, also a very good bit of kit but fancy a change of usage, for a pop-screen house as it may suit our current day trips better now that our vans use this year is to be somewhat curtailed.
It's in immaculate condition if anyone interested. Just send a PM. 😊

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
I started, like most people, tenting. Then I got a motorhome, or as it was known in 1968 a Dormobile. Then six years later a Lunar Meteorite caravan followed by a few others and went back to motorhomes in 2004. I/we have towed Smart cars on a trailer, a Harley Davidson Trike on a trailer and at present just the Motorhome. Too much faffing around with either a trailer or an A Frame. Does it matter? Not one jot. So long as experiences with any mode of outdoor holidaying are enjoyed then all is well, come rain or high water.

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why? We pay our road tax and are entitled to go anywhere. Most motor homes these days can keep up with the traffic flow so I can’t see the issue.
Because we can make it bloody miserable for people who live in the places we visit and for anyone else visiting
Its not the keeping up with traffic flow thats the issue ,its the blocking small roads and taking up more parking room

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
no one has mentioned emptying anything, just setting off and arriving procedures 😉👍

that said i’m pretty certain sure 4 days before emptying the grey tank is doable quite easily

i’ll test it this week 👍

Because we can make it bloody miserable for people who live in the places we visit and for anyone else visiting
Its not the keeping up with traffic flow thats the issue ,its the blocking small roads and taking up more parking room
Not with mine it's shorter than a Volvo estate BUSBY☺️☺️

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
You might do maybe but I and many others don’t

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
First off it's not "us v them". Most of us have had both. We had bikes with the caravan for years and then with the moho before graduating some years ago to ebikes. Our issue is that walking is getting more difficult, my wife is finding the ebikes too heavy to handle safely and she won't entertain a scooter. I'm wondering how much longer we can get the best out of the moho or would a caravan give us back greater freedom. I'd really hate to go back to a caravan as its such a faff, every time you move on and we like to move every 2 or 3 days. Of course, none of us know what's going to happen as we approach the ban on new combustion engine vehicles.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
First off it's not "us v them". Most of us have had both. We had bikes with the caravan for years and then with the moho before graduating some years ago to ebikes. Our issue is that walking is getting more difficult, my wife is finding the ebikes too heavy to handle safely and she won't entertain a scooter. I'm wondering how much longer we can get the best out of the moho or would a caravan give us back greater freedom. I'd really hate to go back to a caravan as its such a faff, every time you move on and we like to move every 2 or 3 days. Of course, none of us know what's going to happen as we approach the ban on new combustion engine vehicles.
We are in the same position , my OH suffers from chronic sciatica and some days she can only manage a short distance with the aid of crutches and now is unable to use the Electric bike
So without transport we are snookered , we still have our 3 year old touring caravan which I can see will get more use this year so I think the motorhome will probably be sold eventually .
I'm not so bothered about moving frequently when away preferring to stay put for a week or more at a time and I have no problem
towing in fact I actually enjoy it being a retired Class 1 driver
Don't use an awning just a pull out canopy so I can set up in 10 minutes or so just wind the legs down with a cordless drill , fill the aquaroll and put the wastemaster out and job done .

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We are in the same position , my OH suffers from chronic sciatica and some days she can only manage a short distance with the aid of crutches and now is unable to use the Electric bike
So without transport we are snookered , we still have our 3 year old touring caravan which I can see will get more use this year so I think the motorhome will probably be sold eventually .
I'm not so bothered about moving frequently when away preferring to stay put for a week or more at a time and I have no problem
towing in fact I actually enjoy it being a retired Class 1 driver
Don't use an awning just a pull out canopy so I can set up in 10 minutes or so just wind the legs down with a cordless drill , fill the aquaroll and put the wastemaster out and job done .
Do you ever fancy a coach trip sometime so you could look out the window more. I have never done it so can’t knock it, just sometimes it’s nice being the passenger.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Do you ever fancy a coach trip sometime so you could look out the window more. I have never done it so can’t knock it, just sometimes it’s nice being the passenger.
They can be great, but if you are over a certain age , make sure there is a loo on board! As motorhomers its no issue using them , but some people dont like using shared , pokey facilities. Massive fail, we did a bus trip in India, no loo on board, mainly more mature passengers, .hardly any places to stop.. miserable carnage...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
first thing I noticed on purchase was how much cheaper it was to insure then a caravan,
years ago it never occurred to me that anyone insured caravans?
So when you arrive on a site, do you not have to also connect your EHU, turn on your gas bottles and possibly use leveling ramps, all of which again are external operations, same as a caravan.
I don't use sites but when I stop that's it. Gas is on ,water is on I don't need electric & I stop usually now ensuring I am as near to level as I need to be.
That is for an unbraked trailer. With a braked trailer (caravan) with a B licence you can drive a car/trailer combination up to 3500kg gross train weight.
Hardly likely to be much of a van with twin axles once the weight is added to the towing vehicle .Most 4x4 or decent mpv's sit on 2T unladen.
** + I thought you could go to 3,5T + the 750kgs & the less the towing veicle weighed the more could be added to the trailer?

no he ain’t as we go/do exactly the same
& me.

As for being level.My last van tthe fridge needed to be level to work. Even this van much out of level longitudinally & it doesn't like it. On my nephews drive which isn't much of a slope I have to raise the front 3" for them to work

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hardly likely to be much of a van with twin axles once the weight is added to the towing vehicle .Most 4x4 or decent mpv's sit on 2T unladen.
You are talking monorites the majority of tuggers use family salons and single axle caravans, so it's easy to stay below 3500kg GTW.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
People sometimes say to me....oh I wish I had a motorhome.....I look at them standing next to their £40k euro saloon and tell them to buy a caravan because they already have half their money invested in it
They won't have much invested in their 40k euro saloon £897 deposit and £299 a month maybe.

not many people buy new cars , certainly not in the 40k bracket it's all on PCP or company cars

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Have done a few over the years and really enjoyed them..As you say not driving and being able to enjoy the view through the window is great and you can have a beer at lunchtime😁 BUSBY

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Have had a caravan in the distant past but that was sited at one place for the summer to accommodate sailing
Since having vans and travailing abroad we have got into the odd tight situation which was not a big deal with the PVC but would have got interesting if I had been towing a caravan :unsure:
We do still have a tent in the garage but no intention of using it.
I still do the odd Munro but if I cant make use of the van it's not getting bagged not that I would ever admit to being a bagger :whistle2:

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
Oh for gods sake, you’ve spoiled my day. Look at that lovely parking area...
We do have friends round at Party Time. They generally park on our paddock (in the background) in their caravans, Tents and campers, or did before Covid19. Hopefully will again soon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back