A motorhome is no good for us, because we need a car! (1 Viewer)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We met some people on the beach in Norfolk. We asked them where they were staying and they had a caravan parked at the Sandringham Estate. We told them we were in a motorhome. They replied that they couldn't have a motorhome because they needed a car. This still makes me giggle because how did they think we'd got to the beach?

From what I've seen, motorhomes are getting more and more popular. Will they overtake caravans in popularity?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Well there are certainly advantages in both. I think a good combination is a Moho with a scooter for two,but we can’t carry one. Next best thing is bikes,which we can.

If I really had a problem with it I would buy a motorhome with a large rear garage to fit a scooter/moped.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We met some people on the beach in Norfolk. We asked them where they were staying and they had a caravan parked at the Sandringham Estate. We told them we were in a motorhome. They replied that they couldn't have a motorhome because they needed a car. This still makes me giggle because how did they think we'd got to the beach?

From what I've seen, motorhomes are getting more and more popular. Will they overtake caravans in popularity?

I don't know, but out of interest how did you get to the beach?

Will motorhomes overtake caravans in the popularity stakes? I don't know it really depends how people want to holiday, caravans serve a purpose and are great (y) for extended stays and having a car to gad about in and lets face it if you already have a big car a caravan is good value, OK this is a motorhome forum so I'm out;)

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Well there are certainly advantages in both. I think a good combination is a Moho with a scooter for two,but we can’t carry one. Next best thing is bikes,which we can.

If I really had a problem with it I would buy a motorhome with a large rear garage to fit a scooter/moped.
We have electric bikes, which suit us perfectly.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Don’t think Motorhomes will over take Caravanning in popularity not yet anyway IMO .We cut our teeth on a camper van then Caravanning before recently coming back to campervan.
Best comment we heard was from a Geordie couple during our first Winter Caravan Trip to Spain in 2018. They had a brand new caravan and explained that they bought a brand new motorhome a few months earlier and found it much easier for the driving, the overnight stays en route etc, but they couldn't get on with it when it came to the long stay on site. So they sold the m/home at a thumping loss of some £18k and bought the brand new Caravan and an awning that was like a small marquee ...

Steve & Elaine

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Probably not in all honesty.

I have a number of younger married pals who need two daily cars for their work and school runs etc, but can't afford the extra expense of having a third 'expensive' vehicle.

They can however afford to buy a suitable car that can pull a 10-grand caravan which still allows them to travel and have good times.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
An interesting consideration may well be the new drivers with no Grandfather rights on their driving license, like being allowed to tow anything bigger than a postage stamp without having to do an additional driving test!

A caravan doesn't appeal to me anyway. You would have to be on camp sites I reckon and I have tended to avoid them so far in my home from home on wheels journey. I like turning the key and everything following. No faffing with setup etc.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Don't think people can walk now days😆 BUSBY.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A caravan was fine when we had kids and stayed on sites. Now we rarely stay for more than a couple of nights anywhere, a caravan would be too much hassle. Also I went right off towing, the Motorhome is much more relaxing to drive and much easier to find a place to stop for the night.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
To be honest we loved Caravanning but decided to change to campervan for touring Europe as the wife would not share the driving with caravan on in Europe.Sadly as yet we have not managed to get there yet but possibly next year.🤞

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
An interesting consideration may well be the new drivers with no Grandfather rights on their driving license, like being allowed to tow anything bigger than a postage stamp without having to do an additional driving test!

A caravan doesn't appeal to me anyway. You would have to be on camp sites I reckon and I have tended to avoid them so far in my home from home on wheels journey. I like turning the key and everything following. No faffing with setup etc.
When we were tenting we used to envy caravanners who had the toilet/shower etc.

When we were caravanners we used to feel sorry for campers who had to unpack, lay out the tent, peg it down etc. Especially in rain.

As Motorhomers we feel sorry for caravanners who arrive in the pouring rain, have to get out of the car, disconnect, lower steadies, connect up EHU etc. While we pull up, move through to the lounge area, pour a glass of wine, and watch them struggling.

Seriously, we have done all three and enjoyed them.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
People sometimes say to me....oh I wish I had a motorhome.....I look at them standing next to their £40k euro saloon and tell them to buy a caravan because they already have half their money invested in it
I have never owned a car suitable for towing a caravan so I have always had motorhomes/campervans
If I had owned big cars capable of towing a decent caravan I would probably have adjusted my life to that as I grew ip

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No

When we were caravanners we used to feel sorry for campers who had to unpack, lay out the tent, peg it down etc. Especially in rain.

As Motorhomers we feel sorry for caravanners who arrive in the pouring rain, have to get out of the car, disconnect, lower steadies, connect up EHU etc. While we pull up, move through to the lounge area, pour a glass of wine, and watch them struggling.

Yer missed out the Trailer Tent , and the Folding Caravan phases! Loadsa fun! 😂

'Would you like onions with your burger, sir?' ...

Steve
IMG_20180907_110419 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
IMG_20180907_110419 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012

If they turned up at a show it would not be a lot different. Un hitch , legs down, and a water barrel. No ehu, waste straight under the van just like motorhome do. Not sure what the etc is.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yer missed out the Trailer Tent , and the Folding Caravan phases! Loadsa fun! 😂

You really did genuinely miss out on loadsa fun. We started off with a 3/4 man tent and flysheet put up wrong way, then went to caravan, trailer tent and folding camper til the cold finally got to mum in easter 2013, the rest " thank goodness" is history. We've had loads of fun memories along the way. (y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Perhaps they both need cars to get to work etc where they drive long ish distances, have height restrictions and parking limitations or they have company cars .... I wouldn't want to put 15k miles a year or so on a campervan / motorhome and pay the extra fuel charges etc compared to driving a car .....

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
You really did genuinely miss out on loadsa fun. We started off with a 3/4 man tent and flysheet put up wrong way, then went to caravan, trailer tent and folding camper til the cold finally got to mum in easter 2013, the rest " thank goodness" is history. We've had loads of fun memories along the way. (y)
Forgot about tenting proper wild camping in the mountains of Scotland till the bones started complaining.👍

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Forgot about tenting proper wild camping in the mountains of Scotland till the bones started complaining.👍
When we were camping we knew no difference so was never a problem though I do specifically remember Sundrum Castle Parkdean 2012 we woke up so cold in a tent, the next day we bought a NEW feather duvet and went on to buy 2nd hand blankets from a charity shop. Funnily enough I was editing photo footage of that trip recently.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
We went around this circle endlessly before choosing a motorhome, having had a caravan for a couple of years a long time ago. I think the difference is maybe that with a caravan the journey is a chore, but once set up you get a week or so on site with the freedom to explore in the car - but with the MoHo the journey is part of the fun 'cause you get to see over the hedges, and you can still explore, or not, when you get there.

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Caravaners are star holiday makers - go somewhere, set up camp for a week or so, then visit the local attractions.
Motorhomers are zigg zaggers - go somewhere for a couple of days, have a look about, move on to the next place.
Not me I am afraid I like to get the boots on and take in some long distance walks few mountains as well ,check out the nature around me love it.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We have managed almost 20 years.

horses for courses.

things may change.

Looking at caravans now. £5,000 caravans currently fetching £7,000 plus.

I think I will wait until 2022 when people have tried it, don’t like it, back to fully Inclusive in Cuba.

If we get a caravan, we will probably still keep the motorhome.

a lot depends on your heath and ability too.

We walk, cycle, use public transport, including boats.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!

I have done a lot of tenting, all over the country. I still do a fair bit. As a keen angler a lot of it is now done by the water. I love it.

Caravanning doesn't appeal though. Not sure I'd be allowed even if I did fancy it.

There's no right or wrong though. Tent, caravan, campervan or motorhome - it doesn't matter. You're only getting it wrong if you're not enjoying it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back