A motorhome is no good for us, because we need a car! (1 Viewer)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I watched a family struggle to set up their first caravan and awning when I was away recently, the fun and laughter they had (and some frustration) as I said to them was very entertaining to watch.

It will be a memory that they will have forever.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Apr 26, 2016
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
When we were working and climbing hills we had a tent which meant we got an extra day ie Sunday to climb another hill. With a caravan or M/home we would have had to leave at lunch time. When we retired we enjoyed a caravan home and abroad for 10 years. Then got a PVC to travel further in Europe which was just right. Once we found our ideal place in Spain for the Winter we bought a caravan from a friend and had the best of both for 8 years. Setting it up took about 3 days and getting hard work so sold it and now back to just the PVC. Still love it and enjoyed every bit of it. Can't beat camping holidays however you do it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
This is a pic of us wild camping, taken in 2017 using our inflatable canoe.
20170917_082443.jpg
20170917_082443.jpg

youbecome1

Free Member
Jun 26, 2014
Weybridge
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
6 months
We met some people on the beach in Norfolk. We asked them where they were staying and they had a caravan parked at the Sandringham Estate. We told them we were in a motorhome. They replied that they couldn't have a motorhome because they needed a car. This still makes me giggle because how did they think we'd got to the beach?

From what I've seen, motorhomes are getting more and more popular. Will they overtake caravans in popularity?
Caravans have their place. It comes down to the type of holiday you have. If you want to go somewhere and drop anchor for a week or two in the same campsite then a caravan is likely to be a better option. You can set up camp and then use your car for trips. If you’re like us and love to tour and explore then a Motorhome is by far the best option. We’re going down to Cornwall next month and are likely to hire a small car for 2/3 days because driving our van down very narrow country lanes is not ideal. Summary: both have value but given this is a motorhoming forum, Motorhome are best by far!!!

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
When we were tenting we used to envy caravanners who had the toilet/shower etc.

When we were caravanners we used to feel sorry for campers who had to unpack, lay out the tent, peg it down etc. Especially in rain.

As Motorhomers we feel sorry for caravanners who arrive in the pouring rain, have to get out of the car, disconnect, lower steadies, connect up EHU etc. While we pull up, move through to the lounge area, pour a glass of wine, and watch them struggling.

Seriously, we have done all three and enjoyed them.
So when you arrive on a site, do you not have to also connect your EHU, turn on your gas bottles and possibly use leveling ramps, all of which again are external operations, same as a caravan.
Admittedly, a caravan may well have some things in the Isles of the living area for transporting which will be needed outside at some point, like an awning etc and would make immediate sitting in the lounge a little tight, but I think for both motorhome and caravan use in any weather, it's more about how you plan your arrival and how you would adjust if you could not immediately disembark and set up as needed. (awning in the car boot with other awning essentials etc) whilst the caravan is filled with just the stuff needed for immediate on site internal use.
When we towed a four berth caravan with 2 adults, 2 children and a dog and arrived on site, It was a well practised and orderly routine, especially if raining.
One person only would unhook, drop legs and secure and unlock the door.
Then occupants would go from car straight into caravan. NO faffing about.
Then I would connect EHU and water and only one person is then getting wet.
Awning up when weather improves, just leave it stored in the car boot until then.
Personally I think a lot is to do with how you plan your on-site arrival and set-up and how organised you are.
Have also seen many families arrive on sites in what might be considered a disorganised manner to some, trying to set up, with all the distractions and excitement that caravanning and motorhoming brings to any family.
Should I be on a site, set up and the weather turns and a new arrival turns up near me, and is looking as if they might struggle, especially with an awning and small children, I have offered a hand of assistance with the awning to get them settled in quickly and dry, IF they should want it.
Have helped quite a few in our time.
We now have a motorhome which we use as 2 and a dog, or with our grandchildren so 4 and a dog, and no awning but a pop-up gazebo type thingy, and with 4 up, our set up procedures are pretty much the same as a caravan other than getting water, which is on board.
For either caravan or motorhome I think, personally, it is more about organisation of how you go about your set up, rather than one being inheritantly better than the other.
Horses for courses, I guess. 😊

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
We met some people on the beach in Norfolk. We asked them where they were staying and they had a caravan parked at the Sandringham Estate. We told them we were in a motorhome. They replied that they couldn't have a motorhome because they needed a car. This still makes me giggle because how did they think we'd got to the beach?

From what I've seen, motorhomes are getting more and more popular. Will they overtake caravans in popularity?
We

Yer missed out the Trailer Tent , and the Folding Caravan phases! Loadsa fun! 😂

'Would you like onions with your burger, sir?' ...

Steve
View attachment 483440View attachment 483440
We had Goburs 10/2Ts for 30 years until last year having reached 76 and being shorter in hight lost half of my bicep pushing up the rear roof/end panel. Have now a 6m PVC IH Motorhome.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Spidey what make is your sun tent please?
It is the quest screen house 4 sided pop up. I bought it in the sale a couple of years ago. Along with sides. It was through a post on this site someone recommended it. Brilliant and so quick to put up. 😊

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
We loved our 45 years of caravanning, towing as far afield as Croatia and all over Europe. The reasons for our changing to motorhome are:
Getting too much like hard work setting up and down
We tend to stay less than a week, and prefer to see more places over a shorter time so the motorhome serves better
Ideal for visiting family, being able to park on their drives.
Slight disadvantages:
Jean is disabled in so much as she cannot walk any distance so... if it is a short visit we take her walker, mobility scooter and stay near to where we want to be or bus stops near by. If we do the 5 day Haven deals and visit several in one go we tow the small car behind us.
Simple really. ;)

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
We

We had Goburs 10/2Ts for 30 years until last year having reached 76 and being shorter in hight lost half of my bicep pushing up the rear roof/end panel. Have now a 6m PVC IH Motorhome.
We sold the Gobur 4 weeks ago. We had some adventures in it, and one or two hairy times, including in Chinon on packdown [3rd time ever so still learning] where I got the order of wardrobe, wc door and sink unit long and ended up balancing on 1 leg! Fortunately, Elaine was just outside and was able to grab my rear extending leg and pull gently to add counterbalance so that I could flip the toilet door back to the vertical!

The French couple on the pitch opposite were weeing themselves with laughter. Imagine Swan Lake through a caravan doorway, but with Dame Margot Fonteyn pulling Nureyev's leg rather than the reverse roles! :oops:

Steve

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Caravans have their place. It comes down to the type of holiday you have. If you want to go somewhere and drop anchor for a week or two in the same campsite then a caravan is likely to be a better option. You can set up camp and then use your car for trips. If you’re like us and love to tour and explore then a Motorhome is by far the best option. We’re going down to Cornwall next month and are likely to hire a small car for 2/3 days because driving our van down very narrow country lanes is not ideal. Summary: both have value but given this is a motorhoming forum, Motorhome are best by far!!!
The Geordie couple I mentioned in an earlier post summed it up very well: 'The driving, the quick set up and packdown, and the convenience of everything in situ, makes the motorhome unbeatable. But, for the comfort and convenience of a long stay, a car, caravan and huge awning are much better. It's that 'compromise' word again; where do you want it to appear? We might get a little nearer the answer in 10 days time when our first ever motorhome arrives! :oops:

Steve & Elaine

Sep 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I miss the tent, nothing like the simplicity of tenting. We have a perfectly good tow car but decided to go straight to a motorhome as we didn’t fancy towing all the way down to the alps. Yes you do have to be a bit more careful where you stay, I particularly like to consider the hills before agreeing to go somewhere as I’m sure by better half loves to punish me by saying” it’s only a short bike ride to the town”. He thinks 16% hills are a slight bump!! I know we could force ourselves to sit more outside when it’s colder or wetter like we did in the tent rather than tuck ourselves up in the warm but I have got quite lazy and have convinced myself staring out the window is similar. Everyone to their own but I will admit to a small feeling of envy when I see a family enjoying the simple pleasures of just camping.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
nobody keeps the water in their grey tank at a show
We do.
So when you arrive on a site, do you not have to also connect your EHU, turn on your gas bottles and possibly use leveling ramps, all of which again are external operations, same as a caravan.
None of that, when we arrive press button on air suspension to level, don't need EHU, have ant-rupture valves & secumotion regulator so gas is already on, always leave home or previous stop with a full tank of water. :giggle:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I won a lovely trailer tent in a competition when I was younger and loved it. Great fun and best of both worlds. Very little pfaff.
Unless it was wet when you put it down as I would have to go up again at home to dry out ;) friend had one and we all had to sit it it one day as it was lifting off the ground in the wind:LOL:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Just how many of these 'younger couples' with caravans can actually have a driving licence to pull it. The limit is 750kgs and that is not a very plush caravan after all. All the ones you see with the 4X4 and four wheeler that are in their early thirties are probably not legal and just do not know it, until the shit hits the fan with an accident, fines, insurance walkouts and claims against them as well as losing everything they had and a debt to pay off. How many actually know about the E licence and the special driving courses needed?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just how many of these 'younger couples' with caravans can actually have a driving licence to pull it. The limit is 750kgs and that is not a very plush caravan after all.
That is for an unbraked trailer. With a braked trailer (caravan) with a B licence you can drive a car/trailer combination up to 3500kg gross train weight.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I must be the exception to the tent->trailer->caravan->motorhome rule.
Last time I holidayed in a tent was three decades ago... then fortuitously, all my holidays tended to be longhaul.
Retirement was going to be buying a holiday apartment but finances didn't allow... so a motorhome was in my vision... so that's what I got. First an aged coachbuilt, then the current PVC.

So, I disagree that the UK is not for motorhomes
and I agree that finding places where you don't need a car is part of the fun [but with a bit of advance planning you can easily find somewhere to park].

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Just how many of these 'younger couples' with caravans can actually have a driving licence to pull it. The limit is 750kgs and that is not a very plush caravan after all. All the ones you see with the 4X4 and four wheeler that are in their early thirties are probably not legal and just do not know it, until the shit hits the fan with an accident, fines, insurance walkouts and claims against them as well as losing everything they had and a debt to pay off. How many actually know about the E licence and the special driving courses needed?
The Faceache Trailer Tent Forum was very active last time I looked, with lots of younger families buying TTs to avoid the need for Licence upgrades and Tests etc

Steve

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Interesting, never thought about hiring a car once on site. Now that would be a good service for the club sites to offer to organise.
We’re still new the MH (15 months) as caravanned for past 15 years, so the jury is out. Ideally we’d have both as they both have their merits.
Some sites offer to organise car hire but be aware of their fees / commission...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Motorhomes work fine in the U.K.

This was our outfit until six years ago 30ft RV with car on A Frame , we travelled England Scotland Skye Wales ROI etc parked up on sites and explored in car.
We also took RV without car to Spain Portugal France and more using aires and sites and bikes on rack

C1A85DC3-BFB1-4372-8997-9D10FF155BCC.jpeg

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Oct 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Ar
Exp
Since 2016
Interesting, never thought about hiring a car once on site. Now that would be a good service for the club sites to offer to organise.
We’re still new the MH (15 months) as caravanned for past 15 years, so the jury is out. Ideally we’d have both as they both have their merits.
Very easy to hire direct, and less expensive than you would think. Most will either collect you, or drop the car off and collect at end of hire. If not, find one that will! Perfect for longer stays, especially when you’re on a fully serviced pitch.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
We had a couple of nights in a tent 8 years ago at the Camel Fair in India.

Even had a shower & loo.
View attachment 483612

And if you were quick you could run around the back to view.
View attachment 483613
'I'd give that a couple of days, if I were you' makes a change from the customary UK 'I'd give it 10 minutes' comment ... Or, you could just blame it on the camels, even if it does give them the hump ... :rolleyes:

Steve

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
We had a couple of nights in a tent 8 years ago at the Camel Fair in India.

Even had a shower & loo.
View attachment 483612

And if you were quick you could run around the back to view.
View attachment 483613
Ah yes, I did a couple of tented safaris in Africa whilst on working trips... not exactly 'camping' though.
Waiter service G&T's.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back