A motorhome is no good for us, because we need a car! (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I have done a lot of tenting, all over the country. I still do a fair bit. As a keen angler a lot of it is now done by the water. I love it.

Caravanning doesn't appeal though. Not sure I'd be allowed even if I did fancy it.

There's no right or wrong though. Tent, caravan, campervan or motorhome - it doesn't matter. You're only getting it wrong if you're not enjoying it.
We tented too, great for a night or two. Every time we went to a club site it was "oh we've got you down as caravanners and you're tenters šŸ¤” (or vice versa)"... yes we're both actually šŸ˜œ

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We always said we would never have or understand the appeal of a motorhome as we would be restricted with lack of car
We ended up buying a motorhome last July after thinking about it for about 15 minutes
We tow a small car on a trailer
Tbh I couldn't be doing with driving the MH everything we wanted to go somewhere ,plus its a bit on the big side
Personally I think motorhomes shouldn't be clogging up country roads and towns any more then absolutely necessary

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Had a teardrop trailer too for 6 months, that was fantastic for towing up the motorway at high speed when Ann lived in Glasgow. Too small though and I swapped it for the freedom microlight caravan šŸ‘Œ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We tented too, great for a night or two. Every time we went to a club site it was "oh we've got you down as caravanners and you're tenters šŸ¤” (or vice versa)"... yes we're both actually šŸ˜œ
'Ah, you're campers?'
'No, dear, just standing here with my hands on my hips looking alluring ...'
'Ooh, bold! 'Enn ee bold, Sandy? Ooh, Mr Horne, I've come over all unnecessary ...' (y)šŸ˜‚

Steve

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Like lots of people we came up the route of small tent, big tent, folding camper, caravan, small motorhome and finally a bit bigger motorhome. šŸ˜Š
The tenting days were due to money, cheapest way to get a holiday. But gradually it became a chore as the tent got bigger and we started buying ā€˜furnitureā€™ for the tent. We took 5 hours to set up for a weeks holiday šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø So thought what we need is a folding camper they go up really quickly. šŸ™„. Yes they do but only if you donā€™t want the massive awning. We hated putting that up but it was nice when up.
we liked the look of a caravan and when unexpected money came our way we bought one. It was perfect (as long as no awning). Suited us fine with our girls were younger. But we hated towing and too scared to stop on a longer journey so restricted us.
I love our motorhome it is bliss to set up and even our pop up sun tent is a breeze. Would never go back but loved them at the time. I still like a tent we kept our pyramid tent and keep thinking we might use it one day šŸ˜Š

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There are some folk that needs cars. If the park up for motorhomes isn't in town and they cant walk. I'm happy at this stage in life we aren't near that thought yet.
With some of my friends it's a case of not that they can't walk it's that they won't walk..BUSBY.šŸ˜ƒ

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If they turned up at a show it would not be a lot different. Un hitch , legs down, and a water barrel. No ehu, waste straight under the van just like motorhome do. Not sure what the etc is.
Iā€™m not sure what point you are making. They still have to unhitch and put legs down. In a motorhome thatā€™s not necessary. We donā€™t have to put down steadies, we already have water on board and, as we have a grey water tank there is no need to put a waste holder ā€œunder the vanā€. No need to even get out if you donā€™t wish to.

I was not criticising but pointing out how each choice has different advantages/disadvantages.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have done a lot of tenting, all over the country. I still do a fair bit. As a keen angler a lot of it is now done by the water. I love it.

Caravanning doesn't appeal though. Not sure I'd be allowed even if I did fancy it.

There's no right or wrong though. Tent, caravan, campervan or motorhome - it doesn't matter. You're only getting it wrong if you're not enjoying it.
Agreed.

I still use a tent if on the motorbike.

There is no ā€œright or wrongā€. Each has itā€™s advantages/disadvantages and is a matter of personal choice.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
We always said we would never have or understand the appeal of a motorhome as we would be restricted with lack of car
We ended up buying a motorhome last July after thinking about it for about 15 minutes
We tow a small car on a trailer
Tbh I couldn't be doing with driving the MH everything we wanted to go somewhere ,plus its a bit on the big side
Personally I think motorhomes shouldn't be clogging up country roads and towns any more then absolutely necessary
Why? We pay our road tax and are entitled to go anywhere. Most motor homes these days can keep up with the traffic flow so I canā€™t see the issue.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Iā€™m not sure what point you are making. They still have to unhitch and put legs down. In a motorhome thatā€™s not necessary. We donā€™t have to put down steadies, we already have water on board and, as we have a grey water tank there is no need to put a waste holder ā€œunder the vanā€. No need to even get out if you donā€™t wish to.

I was not criticising but pointing out how each choice has different advantages/disadvantages.
Not exactly a lot more, a battery drill does the legs, nobody keeps the water in their grey tank at a show, and to unhitch is very quick or not even at all. But youā€™re obviously anti caravan which is your choice, we are all different.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Not exactly a lot more, a battery drill does the legs, nobody keeps the water in their grey tank at a show, and to unhitch is very quick or not even at all. But youā€™re obviously anti caravan which is your choice, we are all different.
If you read my original post you would see that I said , Seriously, we have done all three and enjoyed them.

I thought that most people would see that the post was tongue in cheek, as at least 12 members did at the last count.

However, if you wish to take offence for some reason so be it.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The need to take a car (or scooter) is rather like the need to have an oven.
There are plenty of us who can manage without either.
What you think you need is a state of mind and can change with time.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
We started years back family big tent, then later onto nice bell tent, sadly knee continue to dislike bending in and out, so sold the bell tent, started staying travel lodges, ect..then had a opportunity to get a motorhome :pray: so fortunate, Zebedee is 18 years old hymer, love it! Only been a couple of years, but still so excited, :clap: planning trips again

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We came to motorhoming the same way as a lot of people, started with a trailer tent, after 3 which each time got bigger and after swearing that I would never have one of those tin boxes, we had arrived at a campsite a hour before some friends who had broken rank and bought a caravan, I was busy banging in pegs still when they rocked up with their caravan and car deftly moved it onto the pitch, wound down the steady got water and offered to make us a cup of tea while I was still fannying around setting up, 6 caravans and many years latter after swearing I would never have a motorhome because sitting in the drivers seat for a couple of hours and then swivelling it round to continue sitting in it seemed horrific, however at the Newbury show on the sloping field trying to get the caravan to some sort of level while the other half was fetching water, and then seeing motorhomes rock up, drive up on ramps, swivel the seats and put the kettle on having arrived on pitch with water on board, while watching the entertainment of us and our friends still trying to drag or maneuver a reluctant tin box around onto a ramp.
I decided to try a motorhome, first thing I noticed on purchase was how much cheaper it was to insure then a caravan, how much further the smaller car I now had for daily use went on a gallon of fuel, and arriving on site in winter inside nice and warm from the trip. 3 motorhomes later we now currently have the one that suits us, self levelling fitted, rock up press button, kettle on, after all holidaying is supposed to be leisure! We just pick sites differently now not so remote with something to do within walking or cycling distance.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Richard n Ann - love your post, that looks like a lovely little Freedom caravan which was the first caravan I ever had. Towed it with a Fiat Punto!
As others I started out with with a little 2 man tent, then frame tent then a trailer tent before moving on to caravans and now finally a PVC having had a few coachbuilt MHā€™s in between. However I still love traditional camping and only last year did I sell all my camping gear, including an Airbeam tent. Unfortunately age and arthritis took over!!
PS: was obviously typing whilst you posted again and confirmed the Freedom.!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We have camped for as long as I can remember, We still have a 2 man Vango Force 10 and quite happy to use it in adverse weather, although the main tent these days is a Hillberge they are light weight robust and go anywhere, brilliant for over night or days of walking. For those of you who have dogs you may like the Hounds of Hilliberge link

When we were younger and traveling around and Camping in Europe, we saw lots of Hymer's and said that one day for our holidays we would get one and here we are now, our older selves still camping when we want or need to but also using the MoHo as such as we can too. It doesn't have to be one or other both are fantastic experiences and offer a different way to travel and explore. :)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Ar
Exp
Since 2016
Agree that individual needs change with time. Large twin axle caravan was great when the kids were just kids, suited perfectly. Now with just the two of us, a two berth motorhome is perfect. E-bikes in the garage does for us most of the time, and when we are staying on site for more than a few days, hire a car locally. Trailer or A-frame towing isnā€™t on our radar at present, although we do have a towball, so if our needs change.....

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Reckon that more and more people will go directly to moho or campers rather than promote through the tent and caravan ranks. For simplicity and lifestyle mainly. But I would expect cost to be the source of ultimate determination of volume on the road and outright popularity. Caravans are a lot cheaper.

Tried a tent. Two wet and windy weeks in Guernsey put pay to that. We actually set out to buy a caravan but ended up with a motorhome and I now know that being chuggers has saved our marriage and my driving license and therefore my job.

For us it was the ability to just turn the key and go whenever we want without the requirement to pack the car.

We are time poor. A caravan payload is next to bugger all for the ones that we could tow. So everything had to come in the car. My better half doesnā€™t do rushing and we would have to stop every 5 minutes to check that she had packed her hair straighteners or Archies soap or something else. The vein in my forehead would have been twitching vigorously at this point. With the camper we have a duplicate of everything in the van. No stress, no arguments. Happy days.

Since we both work and have animals that canā€™t come with us we typically manage to get away at 5pm on a Friday. Police turn a blind eye to a moho in the outside lane. Reckon that the police wouldnā€™t be so lenient with a caravan, especially one that is weaving about as the car occupants were arguing.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
In many european countries there is much more parking for motorhomes and so less need for a car. In the UK there is very little parking for motorhomes and this does make it more difficult to visit all the places that we would like to visit.
After over 30 years of caravanning we sold up and bought a motorhome. Whilst there are advantages, we had more storage space in our caravan, plus the storage space in the tow car. It also came as something of a shock to be driving a somewhat unsophisticated vehicle lacking most of the features that we are accostomed to in our cars. Having said that, we are adapting and getting used to the new way of doing things, which in these days of covid (having to book appointments to visit National Trust and English Heritage sites, we spend time beforehand on Google Earth checking out parking, and that is with two electric bikes). I enclose a picture of out new motorhome and our old outfit.

Car & last caravan.jpg
Dji_0126a.jpg

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Reckon that more and more people will go directly to moho or campers rather than promote through the tent and caravan ranks. For simplicity and lifestyle mainly. But I would expect cost to be the source of ultimate determination of volume on the road and outright popularity. Caravans are a lot cheaper.

Tried a tent. Two wet and windy weeks in Guernsey put pay to that. We actually set out to buy a caravan but ended up with a motorhome and I now know that being chuggers has saved our marriage and my driving license and therefore my job.

For us it was the ability to just turn the key and go whenever we want without the requirement to pack the car.

We are time poor. A caravan payload is next to bugger all for the ones that we could tow. So everything had to come in the car. My better half doesnā€™t do rushing and we would have to stop every 5 minutes to check that she had packed her hair straighteners or Archies soap or something else. The vein in my forehead would have been twitching vigorously at this point. With the camper we have a duplicate of everything in the van. No stress, no arguments. Happy days.

Since we both work and have animals that canā€™t come with us we typically manage to get away at 5pm on a Friday. Police turn a blind eye to a moho in the outside lane. Reckon that the police wouldnā€™t be so lenient with a caravan, especially one that is weaving about as the car occupants were arguing.
I guess we are all ā€˜campersā€™ in one way or another, in our canvas, plastic or tin homes ... just different choices and options for fun times! We started at caravan ( we had one night in a tent, we all had bad stomachs from local chippy that was the end of that) but I really hated towing, it was just a chore for me, its given me massive respect for you hgv drivers and seasoned tuggers and I sometimes just watch how you do it , effin amazing. Went to a big motorhome, not for me either, then vw , (just too old, us , not the van) and now in pvc that feels like , well , perfect ..for us ... for now!
Still love watching the couples awning erection programme at sites as well...

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
In many european countries there is much more parking for motorhomes and so less need for a car. In the UK there is very little parking for motorhomes and this does make it more difficult to visit all the places that we would like to visit.
After over 30 years of caravanning we sold up and bought a motorhome. Whilst there are advantages, we had more storage space in our caravan, plus the storage space in the tow car. It also came as something of a shock to be driving a somewhat unsophisticated vehicle lacking most of the features that we are accostomed to in our cars. Having said that, we are adapting and getting used to the new way of doing things, which in these days of covid (having to book appointments to visit National Trust and English Heritage sites, we spend time beforehand on Google Earth checking out parking, and that is with two electric bikes). I enclose a picture of out new motorhome and our old outfit.

View attachment 483523View attachment 483522
Oh for gods sake, youā€™ve spoiled my day. Look at that lovely parking area...

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The need to take a car (or scooter) is rather like the need to have an oven.
There are plenty of us who can manage without either.
What you think you need is a state of mind and can change with time.
Some people struggle with walking far, due to health setbacks. We use electric bikes to get round this. On the other hand, cooking can easily be managed by choosing from a good range of kit. So I donā€™t think itā€™s the same issue.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Perhaps they both need cars to get to work etc where they drive long ish distances, have height restrictions and parking limitations or they have company cars .... I wouldn't want to put 15k miles a year or so on a campervan / motorhome and pay the extra fuel charges etc compared to driving a car .....
We need two cars, and we love our MoHo, so we have had my wife's Hyundai i10, converted to a toad by TowAFrame.
Works great we both still have cars and we have a car when away in the UK.
SIMPLES.

Attachments

• 20200720_105516.jpg
    20200720_105516.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20200720_105528.jpg
    20200720_105528.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 35
Aug 14, 2019
Wilmslow, UK
Funster No
MH
2020 Bessacarr 597
Exp
There are also many sites that offer a hire car calling service if there is no public transport nearby and you need to get about. We sometimes hire a small car from Practical who will drop off and collect from site. Nowhere near as expensive as Iā€™d thought it would be. Last time it was about Ā£23 a day for this one

Attachments

• C1E07B5B-E34C-4F67-8C92-8D94FFCA5739.jpeg
    C1E07B5B-E34C-4F67-8C92-8D94FFCA5739.jpeg
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 28

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back