Proof of the 90 day limit ! (3 Viewers)

Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
Above there have been lots of comments about "just apply for a visa". No "just" in any of my experiences.
My previous work took me to the UAE, China, Angola, Equatorial Guinea, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, etc. which all required visas. Even using CIBT (cibtvisas.co.uk) to help get the visas quickly it typically took 10 days and >£500.
Inversely I delivered training to, amongst others, people coming from Angola. The company had an HR person working part-time to get Schengen visas on their behalf. Not easy.

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
Above there have been lots of comments about "just apply for a visa". No "just" in any of my experiences.

Could not agree more... There are exceptions, such as Turkey, where the Visa is basically a visitor tax and trivial to apply for, but they are few and far between in my experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Do you seriously believe that in an international negotiation, France decided to punish the UK and it was agreed by the other 26 countries!!
I never said that that the other 26 countries agreed anything, I would direct you to watch Dr Alice Wiedel speech in the Bundestag.

We were touring in France on the morning when the result of brexit was declared, the French president Francois Hollande gave a speech in which he said "The British should remember they have voted to leave the EU and they will never be allowed to return, we will punish them for this".
Now tell me the French doesn't want Britain to be punished.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Okay, let me put it more plainly seeing as it doesn't bother you ... IMV anyone who keeps harping on about 'what we have lost' etc it not only causing aggravation to others for the sake of it, but risks the 'harper' being sent to Coventry.
I had no issues understanding your post. I initially responded to a rather snippy request from another poster to clarify why there should be more paperwork, which I did, and which other posters who have also gone to the trouble to research the impacts of our current situation, have also done with great clarity. We have all had four years to get to grips with the probable challenges that face us and I confess to being mystified that some seem only now to have realised that their way of life thus far has changed. As to your threat of being sent to Coventry, well......for once, words very nearly fail me!

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
It has nothing to do with immigration policy or visa's, you asked about were I think the UK is being punished.
I asked why you thought we were being punished in relation to visa and immigration policy, which was the subject you were posting about. I wasn't interested in fish, since you hadn't mentioned them prior to making your claim.

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
If you read the documents on the EU portal regarding Schengen visa issuing this is made clear that it cannot be more than 90 in 180. It appears to me that both the no visa and visa route independently allow 90 in 180....
IF they are separate routes to entry. But if the visa-free entry route is the very same entry route as the visa, with the exception of not being required to apply for the visa, then they are not independent routes.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
I never said that that the other 26 countries agreed anything, I would direct you to watch Dr Alice Wiedel speech in the Bundestag.

We were touring in France on the morning when the result of brexit was declared, the French president Francois Hollande gave a speech in which he said "The British should remember they have voted to leave the EU and they will never be allowed to return, we will punish them for this".
Now tell me the French doesn't want Britain to be punished.

Did he really say that or have you inadvertently misused the quotation marks?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
I asked why you thought we were being punished in relation to visa and immigration policy, which was the subject you were posting about. I wasn't interested in fish, since you hadn't mentioned them prior to making your claim.
Ahhh ok, I was interested in the fish, I was referring to Brussels punishing us because they think it's what they have to do, maybe to discourage others from leaving, so anywhere they can make life difficult for the UK they will.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Did he really say that or have you inadvertently misused the quotation marks?
Well from my memory and I can remember exactly the junction in town when he said it, I would say yes he said that almost verbatim, I was more taken back by his tone, very aggressive.
Hollande was facing an election in the next 12 months determined to gain ground by his statement one of the strongest warnings yet that Britain will have to pay a heavy price for leaving the European Union.

Last edited:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
No - unless I am misreading it that is to extend a Visa. I am not suggesting extending a Visa. I am suggesting getting a standard tourism Visa, valid for 90 days and using that in point 3). Tourism appears to be a valid reason to apply for such a Visa?

Your 90 day Visa free is actually a concession to the same 90 day Visa that other 3rd country citizens have to apply for. Take it as being a bonus under the WA.

There is no other 90 day tourist Visa available to Brits at this point in time.

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok - I think there is only one way to work this out. I'm going to apply for one and see what happens....

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Ahhh ok, I was interested in the fish, I was referring to Brussels punishing us because they think it's what they have to do, maybe to discourage others from leaving, so anywhere they can make life difficult for the UK they will.

The freedom of movement was agreed under the WA long before the fishies were negotiated 🤔

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
No. The limit for tourism is 90 days. The visa exists because there is a list of countries which, unlike ourselves, are not exempt from tourist visa requirements, and so their citizens have to apply for a visa for any and every trip that they wish to make into the EU as a tourist, even if only for a few hours.

We - the UK - are limited to 90 days the same as everyone else, but we are in a different list and do not require a visa to enter and stay in the EU as tourists within that limit.

There is no such thing as an EU tourist visa that will cover more than 90 days, or extend the 90 day visa free period. Longer visas exist for specific purposes, but as soon as you enter "Tourism" as the reason for your visit on the application, the 90 day limit applies, and presumably if you try it as a UK citizen the application process will be cancelled and you will be informed that you don't require a visa for those circumstances.
Exactly!! 90 days, and there is not (at present) any mechanism to extend it for tourism purposes.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm glad some have more patience than me, as we hear so much about Irish passports I asked an Irishman how long he can stay in Spain 🙄 he said 366 days a year. 😲

They must be special, because no one can stay in a country more than 6 months as a tourist. :Eeek: :doh: Bob.

He can stay 366 days but must register and apply for residence - at which point there are tax imlpications, but he can still stay there but his status changes.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Is it Brussels punishing us - or the French.

Make your mind up!
He said it was "Brussels, France" (post #220).

They moved the city into a different country just to punish us even further, because we will now have to rewrite all our geography books.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I had no issues understanding your post. I initially responded to a rather snippy request from another poster to clarify why there should be more paperwork, which I did, and which other posters who have also gone to the trouble to research the impacts of our current situation, have also done with great clarity. We have all had four years to get to grips with the probable challenges that face us and I confess to being mystified that some seem only now to have realised that their way of life thus far has changed. As to your threat of being sent to Coventry, well......for once, words very nearly fail me!
Its not MY threat about Coventry but just mentioning it to you in case you are not aware that Jim get's peed off with the pro and anti Brexit comments being spouted on the forum and has been known to send people to Coventry for doing so ... fill yer boots by all means ... just take some warm clothing as I hear its a bit chilly there at times.

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
Your first port of call will be one of the Embassies in the UK in person?

No. Via the French online process linked above I think - though to be clear I have not fully researched that yet. Will update here when I have.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
He said it was "Brussels, France" (post #220).

They moved the city into a different country just to punish us even further, because we will now have to rewrite all our geography books.
Please don't mis quote me as you have "Brussels, France" isn't how I wrote.

Brussels were the negotiators I think we all know that, (perhaps you both don't) France that would be Hollande and Macron neither of which were present at the meetings did have a big influence.
As I previously said have a listen to DR Alice Wiedel's speech at the Bundestag to get some inside truths.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Well from my memory and I can remember exactly the junction in town when he said it, I would say yes he said that almost verbatim, I was more taken back by his tone, very aggressive.
Hollande was facing an election in the next 12 months determined to gain ground by his statement one of the strongest warnings yet that Britain will have to pay a heavy price for leaving the European Union.
I am not sure that a recollection that was “almost verbatim” quite justifies the use of quotation marks. It implies that your recollection was accurate. You may be confused with Mr Johnson’s, later, curious references to “punishment beatings”. Hollande was not known for his mastery of the English language and I am unable to find an occasion when he used the word punishment, or even punir, in a speech relating to Brexit. Possibly another instance of confirmation bias.
I would be delighted to be corrected.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Its not MY threat about Coventry but just mentioning it to you in case you are not aware that Jim get's peed off with the pro and anti Brexit comments being spouted on the forum and has been known to send people to Coventry for doing so ... fill yer boots by all means ... just take some warm clothing as I hear its a bit chilly there at times.
Quivering in my boots as we speak. Been to Coventry lived there for 3 years, will not be going back!😂😂😂

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Please don't mis quote me as you have "Brussels, France" isn't how I wrote.

Brussels were the negotiators I think we all know that, (perhaps you both don't) France that would be Hollande and Macron neither of which were present at the meetings did have a big influence.
As I previously said have a listen to DR Alice Wiedel's speech at the Bundestag to get some inside truths.
Brussels, France and now Holland(e) - they’re all out to get us! :wink:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I am not sure that a recollection that was “almost verbatim” quite justifies the use of quotation marks. It implies that your recollection was accurate. You may be confused with Mr Johnson’s, later, curious references to “punishment beatings”. Hollande was not known for his mastery of the English language and I am unable to find an occasion when he used the word punishment, or even punir, in a speech relating to Brexit. Possibly another instance of confirmation bias.
I would be delighted to be corrected.
He did say there would be consequences, but he meant that both the EU and the UK would suffer from our leaving, and that things would not be the same for either of us. He also said that he understood we wished for a hard brexit, and that we shouldn't expect the EU to roll over and offer us things that we ask for on a plate. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Isn't that how negotiation works?

Deleted User
No. Via the French online process linked above I think - though to be clear I have not fully researched that yet. Will update here when I have.

I think that once you fill in the nationality box as UK citizen it will say visa not needed, that form is for 3rd party countries that do not fall under the scope of the withdrawal agreement.

The form that you posted says US in the header, might possibly be a clue!

Last edited by a moderator:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think that once you fill in the nationality box as UK citizen it will in the headersay visa not needed, that form is for 3rd party countries that do not fall under the scope of the withdrawal agreement.

The form that you posted says US in the header, might possibly be a clue!
Maybe they just haven't got round to doing a UK one yet ... :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back