Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Definitely possible to apply for an extended stay visa, I thought we were discussing 90 day visa's and the need or otherwise.
I think you need to re-read some of the posts ... we are talking about using the 90 day visa to ADD another 90 days consecutively onto the 90 days which we are already entitled to without having to get a visa.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
For those who say it cannot be done see screenshot below. Visa applied for as a UK citizen, or to be precise it would be applied for if I paid the £90). I cannot do that atm as I am in Spain and am certifying I am in the UK. Note the visa type.

The Blue Box is where I have redacted my personal information.

EDITED TO ADD: And before someone points it out, I am fully aware that applied for is not the same as granted...
You have completed the application form for a French long-stay vias (for a period of between 3 months and a maximum of 1 year).

Points to note from the explanatory documents on the French Visa website:

You have to pay 99 euros when you submit the form. Whether or not your application is subsequently successful, they keep the money.

You may subsequently be required to attend an interview at your local consulate, where you will be required to produce documents supporting your application, which include:

- The rental agreement or a copy of the title for the property in which you intend to reside for the duration of your stay.
- A letter from the owner of the property in which you intend to reside conforming the duration and reason for your stay, and a copy of their passport.
- At least 3 months bank statement or pay slips showing that you have sufficient financial resources to support your proposed stay.
- Proof of acceptable health insurance cover.
- Proof of the date of your booked departure.

You can only apply for the visa within 180 days of the date that you require it to commence. The duration and validity of the visa will be affected by any period of time spent within the Schengen area within 180 days preceding the date of its validity. In other words, if you apply for a 12 month visa, and your application is successful, but you have been in Schengen for a total of 90 days within a 180 day period preceding the commencement of the visa, its validity will be reduced to 9 months. That alone should inform you that a visa cannot be cumulative to any visa free allowance granted to citizens of a country who do not require a short-stay visa to enter Schengen, or to any other visa previously issued.

The visa is a French long-stay visa, allowing you to stay in France for the period of its validity. It also acts as a 90 day short-stay Schengen visa for visits to any other countries within the Schengen area, allowing cumulative visits to those countries for a total of 90 days within any preceding 180 day period. The validity of the short-stay Schengen visa will also be affected by any time spent within the Schengen area within the 180 days preceding the issue of the visa. Again, it cannot be cumulative to any preceding period of stay within the zone in the preceding 180 days, so for a British subject, confers no more rights than you already have.

If you apply for a French short-stay (Schengen 90 day) visa as a British subject, you are informed that you don't need one, because you are already allowed to visit for periods of up to 90 days within any 180 day period. The site does not prevent you from completing the application form. If you do so, I would imagine one of two things is likely to happen; you will be informed that you don't need a visa for a stay of up to 90 days, and they will thank you for your 99 euro donation, or they may issue you a visa which gives you no right to stay longer than you already have, since any period of validity will be affected by time spent within the Schengen area in the 180 days preceding the issue of the visa or its date of validity.

In other words, if you obtain a short-stay visa, and have been in Schengen for a period of 70 days within the preceding 180 days, the period of validity of the visa will be for up to 20 days. If you have been in the zone for a total of 90 days within the preceding 180 days, the period of validity of the visa will be 0 days (even if it was granted for 90 days at the time of issue, as the period of validity will be calculated on entry to the zone).

So I see nothing that changes what has already been said. Individual countries within the Schengen area can have their own processes for issuing long stay visas, but the duration of any stay granted applies to the country issuing the visa only, not to the entire Schengen area.

It seems to me that the documentary evidence required to obtain a long-stay visa, such as the rental agreement or title to the property where you will reside for the duration of your stay, letter from the owner of the property and copy of their passport, present more than a few obstacles to obtaining a long-stay visa to tour France in a motorhome.

The only advantage I can see is that, for someone wishing to spend more than 90 days in France as a visitor at a single fixed place of residence, that may be possible, and they will also be able to visit other Schengen countries whilst they are resident in France, but only for a maximum of 90 days outside of France itself, in any rolling 180 day period. Any time within the Schengen zone within 180 days prior to the commencement of the visa will shorten its duration, and the validity of up to 90 days travel within other Schengen countries, accordingly. If you know someone who owns a property in France and is willing to support your application, you may be able to take advantage of that, but residing elsewhere -= such as touring in a motorhome - would not be legal. To what degree there may be a risk of being caught is another matter.

There is however a concession for British subjects who own a property in France, that allows them to obtain a visa to stay in that property for up to 6 months each year without obtaining residency.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
You have completed the application form for a French long-stay vias (for a period of between 3 months and a maximum of 1 year).

You have to pay 99 euros when you submit the form. Whether or not your application is subsequently successful, they keep the money.

You may subsequently be required to attend an interview at your local consulate, where you will be required to produce documents supporting your application, which include:

- The rental agreement or a copy of the title for the property in which you intend to reside for the duration of your stay.
- A letter from the owner of the property in which you intend to reside conforming the duration and reason for your stay, and a copy of their passport.
- At least 3 months bank statement or pay slips showing that you have sufficient financial resources to support your proposed stay.

You can only apply for the visa within 180 days of the date that you require it to commence. The duration and validity of the visa will be affected by any period of time spent within the Schengen area within 180 days preceding the date of its validity. In other words, if you apply for a 12 month visa, and your application is successful, but you have been in Schengen for a total of 90 days within a 180 day period preceding the commencement of the visa, its validity will be reduced to 9 months. That alone should inform you that a visa cannot be cumulative to any visa free allowance granted to citizens of a country who do not require a short-stay visa to enter Schengen, or to any other visa previously issued.

The visa is a French long-stay visa, allowing you to stay in France for the period of its validity. It also acts as a 90 day short-stay Schengen visa for visits to any other countries within the Schengen area, allowing cumulative visits to those countries for a total of 90 days within any preceding 180 day period. The validity of the short-stay Schengen visa will also be affected by any time spent within the Schengen area within the 180 days preceding the issue of the visa. Again, it cannot be cumulative to any preceding period of stay within the zone in the preceding 180 days, so for a British subject, confers no more rights than you already have.

If you apply for a French short-stay (Schengen 90 day) visa as a British subject, you are informed that you don't need one, because you are already allowed to visit for periods of up to 90 days within any 180 day period. The site does not prevent you from completing the application form. If you do so, I would imagine one of two things is likely to happen; you will be informed that you don't need a visa for a stay of up to 90 days, and they will thank you for your 99 euro donation, or they may issue you a visa which gives you no right to stay longer than you already have, since any period of validity will be affected by time spent within the Schengen area in the 180 days preceding the issue of the visa or its date of validity.

In other words, if you obtain a short-stay visa, and have been in Schengen for a period of 70 days within the preceding 180 days, the period of validity of the visa will be for up to 20 days. If you have been in the zone for a total of 90 days within the preceding 180 days, the period of validity of the visa will be 0 days (even if it was granted for 90 days at the time of issue, as the period of validity will be calculated on entry to the zone).

So I see nothing that changes what has already been said. Individual countries within the Schengen area can have their own processes for issuing long stay visas, but the duration of any stay granted applies to the country issuing the visa only, not to the entire Schengen area.

It seems to me that the documentary evidence required to obtain a long-stay visa, such as the rental agreement or title to the property where you will reside for the duration of your stay, letter from the owner of the property and copy of their passport, present more than a few obstacles to obtaining a long-stay visa to tour France in a motorhome.

The only advantage I can see is that, for someone wishing to spend more than 90 days in France as a visitor at a single fixed place of residence, that may be possible, and they will also be able to visit other Schengen countries whilst they are resident in France, but only for a maximum of 90 days outside of France itself, in any rolling 180 day period. Any time within the Schengen zone within 180 days prior to the commencement of the visa will shorten its duration, and the validity of up to 90 days travel within other Schengen countries, accordingly. If you know someone who owns a property in France and is willing to support your application, you may be able to take advantage of that, but residing elsewhere -= such as touring in a motorhome - would not be legal. To what degree there may be a risk of being caught is another matter.

There is however a concession for British subjects who own a property in France, that allows them to obtain a visa to stay in that property for up to 6 months each year without obtaining residency.
Melbourne friends of my daughter came to France for 6 months . No problem for her as she had a British passport but he only had an Australian one .
In order to extend his 90 day visa he had to prove all the above and many visits to the Prefecture . They had a six month rental so a permanent address and their little girl attended the local school . He was near the wire to be allowed to stay on . So not as easy as just filling in a form and paying up the cash .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
A long, long time ago, in a country far away, it was possible to hop on a ferry and spend carefree months exploring a massive and diverse continent. No paperwork worth mentioning and free transit of ham sandwiches permitted. That freedom has been consigned to history and now we have the new freedom of needing to read through things like this in order to maybe scratch a few extra days out of a freedom we long enjoyed. Wonderful.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
A long, long time ago, in a country far away, it was possible to hop on a ferry and spend carefree months exploring a massive and diverse continent. No paperwork worth mentioning and free transit of ham sandwiches permitted. That freedom has been consigned to history and now we have the new freedom of needing to read through things like this in order to maybe scratch a few extra days out of a freedom we long enjoyed. Wonderful.

Ahh, but that's democracy (n)

Mick

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Just to add domf that in one of your previous screenshots of the application form, you have selected "Visitor" from the drop-down lists under the type of entry and purpose of stay. Presumably you did so because there is no selection for "Tourist".

Having looked into that further, Visitor apparently means that you are intending to visit (and reside with) family or friends who are currently resident in the Schengen area, hence the confirmatory letter of intent and possibly also a copy of their passport that may be required to be submitted during the application process. There is no option for Tourist, which appears to confirm what has also previously been said, and is supported by the visa information site that TDub49 has linked to, that it is not possible to obtain a long-stay Schengen visa for tourism and that few if any countries offer individual long-stay visas for that purpose.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
There's a readable guide to the new rules for stays in excess of 90/180 days here

It appears that you can start off the process on line, but then have to attend the French Consulate in person, taking professional translations of supporting documentation eg Health Insurance, proof of address where you will be staying, proof of sufficient financial means of supporting yourself.

The process should be started at least 2 months before your intended date of travel.

Not compatible with my idea of the freedom of motorhoming, I'm afraid. 😟

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago

I've also had a look at this process as I have a house in France - Dept 17 which I've owned since 2002.

Over the past 18 years I've only averaged a 8 weeks a year at the house due to having kids at school in the UK. Now they have left school I could go for a longer period at a time but this is being somewhat thwarted by Brexit and Covid.

I got quote for basic health insurance for a couple of aged 50 somethings - came in at £3500 per year. So that increases the cost of the Visa somewhat! As the Long Stay Visa is for a 12 month period during that time you can spend 6 months in France - however you need Heath Insurance for the whole period of the Visa i.e 12 Months cover.

You also need to prove "sufficient financial resources to support your proposed stay" I was advised this is about 1200 Euro per month per adult.

Also ... If you reside in France for than 183 days in a tax year you become tax resident in France - for me that would be an extra cost also.

If I moved to France on a Resident's Visa I'd only need three months private health insurance before I could join the state system - you pay for this and the cost is something like 8% of your net income above a €20,000 threshold.

For now I'm just going to have to work with the 90/180. I rent the house out for a few weeks in the summer which covers the costs of running it.

Actually, the above is part of the reason I bought the Hymer - now I have the time to travel its adds more flexibility into the mix. There are still countries outside of Schengen that I want to visit so just means a bit more planning with my dates.

I'm not going to let 90/180 beat me!

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
legal.jpg

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just to add domf that in one of your previous screenshots of the application form, you have selected "Visitor" from the drop-down lists under the type of entry and purpose of stay. Presumably you did so because there is no selection for "Tourist".

No - as per one of my (many) posts I will be a tourist. I classify as a visitor as I will be visiting with my wife, an EU citizen (Irish).

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

Having looked into that further, Visitor apparently means that you are intending to visit (and reside with) family or friends who are currently resident in the Schengen area, hence the confirmatory letter of intent and possibly also a copy of their passport that may be required to be submitted during the application process. There is no option for Tourist, which appears to confirm what has also previously been said, and is supported by the visa information site that TDub49 has linked to, that it is not possible to obtain a long-stay Schengen visa for tourism and that few if any countries offer individual long-stay visas for that purpose.
My daughter if she didn’t work lol could apply for an extended visitor visa from Oz as she is visiting and staying with family . Likewise we could apply to extend the 3 month visa we apply for to visit her but only because we have a close family member in the country

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My daughter if she didn’t work lol could apply for an extended visitor visa from Oz as she is visiting and staying with family . Likewise we could apply to extend the 3 month visa we apply for to visit her but only because we have a close family member in the country
Soooooo ... what we need to do is find people in each of the countries and either adopt them or get them to adopt us so we can be part of their 'family'! :giggle:

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Soooooo ... what we need to do is find people in each of the countries and either adopt them or get them to adopt us so we can be part of their 'family'!

Good plan :giggle:. I have a son and two granchildren who live in France, so will have my visa application in when it looks like we can all move around again.

Mick

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Soooooo ... what we need to do is find people in each of the countries and either adopt them or get them to adopt us so we can be part of their 'family'! :giggle:
Would still have to pay for private health insurance for the length of your visa though .... that's the big kicker. Most of the rest of the process can be worked around to a degree.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back

Watch it, you risk being threatened with being sent to Coventry. I went there once, it wasn't nice, not a patch on Europe.....😂😂😂😂😂

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Watch it, you risk being threatened with being sent to Coventry. I went there once, it wasn't nice, not a patch on Europe.....😂😂😂😂😂
Thanks and I may already be quite high on some people's ignore lists but this post has had more likes than anything else I have put up so it's encouraging to think that there is still freedom of expression under this new version of democracy that we live in and a healthy mixture of opinions out there.

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks and I may already be quite high on some people's ignore lists but this post has had more likes than anything else I have put up so it's encouraging to think that there is still freedom of expression under this new version of democracy that we live in and a healthy mixture of opinions out there.
In a thread about trying to overcome problems caused by the changing rules as a direct consequence of leaving the EU, I hardly think that saying gently and humourously that you don't like it, would qualify as "making politics".

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

would that also apply to a mobile home? or would that fall into the 'rental' process ? i suppose a contract with the campsite might suffice of proof of residence within the visa period?

I am sure it will all become clearer over the next few months, even if it takes a couple of years to sort out (or never !) i will work within the rules and try work out how best to gain maximum time in the EU that works for us

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
would that also apply to a mobile home? or would that fall into the 'rental' process ? i suppose a contract with the campsite might suffice of proof of residence within the visa period?

I am sure it will all become clearer over the next few months, even if it takes a couple of years to sort out (or never !) i will work within the rules and try work out how best to gain maximum time in the EU that works for us
My gut feeling is not a chance, but I don't know. I would assume a property relates to bricks and mortar with a title of some sort. Someone else may know better.

Deleted User
My gut feeling is not a chance, but I don't know. I would assume a property relates to bricks and mortar with a title of some sort. Someone else may know better.
Mobile homes are accepted for residency purposes so I can't see why they shouldn't for other purposes.
Our 5'er is accepted as a residence in Portugal.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Mobile homes are accepted for residency purposes so I can't see why they shouldn't for other purposes.
Our 5'er is accepted as a residence in Portugal.
Here they have to have an address . It also has to be backed up with a padron, basically showing that you are registered in the local electoral roll. Only thing here is a set of house/land deeds or a legal rental document.

Deleted User
Here they have to have an address . It also has to be backed up with a padron, basically showing that you are registered in the local electoral roll. Only thing here is a set of house/land deeds or a legal rental document.
We have an address, atestado from the local freguesia verified by two residents and the residencia issued by the Camara Municipal in Tavira, €15 from memory.
How can you be on the electoral roll when neither resident or citizen?

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
This conversation really has headed down a rabbit hole of unknown detail

The UK has taken the moral high ground and signed off 180 days. Not surprisingly we declined the EUs generous reciprocal offer - you can bet anything that was offered in the fraught months before the deal was struck, will have come with massive strings attached. We were negotiating hard at that point (better late than never) ...and they eventually did a good job.

When the Brexit dust settles, and the bills have to be paid, and the tourism jobs and other votes are there to be won.. then we’ll see what happens.... as soon as one EU country goes, they’ll all go 👍

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
All we need to do is wave a few thousand tons of that fish we won back, under Macrons nose ...and reel him in 😉😁
Lets face it, we dont need it - we haven’t got the boats to catch it or the markets to buy it. Most British households knowledge of fish extends to chip shop cod, (haddock if they’re feeling brave), salmon and prawns. Show them a lovely piece of hake, fresh sardines, anchovies not in tins or even an octopus and they whistle for the cat......

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Why didn't all those folk who are saying they will miss going to their favorite EU countries for extended stays, apply to be resident there, before 31st December 2020 that was........
Lots did, we have, and can stay in our favorite EU country as long as we wish, and visit other EU countries, and if so desired go to the UK, to visit family, have a holiday for up tp 180 days, all legal, all simple.....I understand not everyone can just leave the UK due to family ties, work etc, but many could have, but not so easily now I'm afraid....different times, different rules....lets move on...

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Guy's give it a few years and this bloody virus goes and things will change. I see in 2/3 years the EU relaxing many of not all the restrictions as the income will be needed so much to help the EU recover.

I friend of mine aways states "good things come to these who wait"

Fingers crossed eh............

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
How can you be on the electoral roll when neither resident or citizen?
legally you can't but councils are paid for each resident registered. Some accept deeds from holiday home owners & register them as it helps to offset the ones who live there all year round using services without being resident.Other councils vehemently enforce the residency rule .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back