Proof of the 90 day limit ! (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Guy's give it a few years and this bloody virus goes and things will change. I see in 2/3 years the EU relaxing many of not all the restrictions as the income will be needed so much to help the EU recover.

I friend of mine aways states "good things come to these who wait"

Fingers crossed eh............
The problem with that is some of us may well be in different circumstances in 2/3 years and wish to carry on as before for as long as possible at the present time.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Guy's give it a few years and this bloody virus goes and things will change. I see in 2/3 years the EU relaxing many of not all the restrictions as the income will be needed so much to help the EU recover.

I friend of mine aways states "good things come to these who wait"

Fingers crossed eh............
The down sides from leaving the eu to the vast majority of people that voted to leave IMO are minor irritations, fancy only able to to go on holiday for 3 month's in every 6 month's 😲 and I'm sure there will be others that will come along, in my opinion being able to roll out the covit vaccinations as we are over shadow everything I've heard to date and I'm sure there will be other's that will come along.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I see in 2/3 years the EU relaxing many of not all the restrictions as the income will be needed so much to help the EU recover.

The 90/180 days is going to make very little difference to the millions of people who take their hoilday each year in the EU, so I would not hold my breath waiting for a change to the rules. They have existed for years and come 2022:

"ETIAS stands for European Travel Information and Authorization System. The European Union has created this visa waiver program to protect and strengthen its borders. The main goal of the ETIAS visa waiver for Europe is to identify possible threats or risks associated with visitors traveling to any of the Schengen Area countries. The ETIAS visa waiver program will be needed to enter a Schengen member country. By the end of 2022, all visitors that currently do Broken Link Removed will be expected to apply for an ETIAS travel authorization."

Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
The 90/180 days is going to make very little difference to the millions of people who take their hoilday each year in the EU, so I would not hold my breath waiting for a change to the rules. They have existed for years and come 2022:

"ETIAS stands for European Travel Information and Authorization System. The European Union has created this visa waiver program to protect and strengthen its borders. The main goal of the ETIAS visa waiver for Europe is to identify possible threats or risks associated with visitors traveling to any of the Schengen Area countries. The ETIAS visa waiver program will be needed to enter a Schengen member country. By the end of 2022, all visitors that currently do Broken Link Removed will be expected to apply for an ETIAS travel authorization."

Mick
ETIAS is not a Visa and does not impact the 90/180 Rules it is for advanced notification of the ability to travel similar to the Visa Waiver in the US/Canada etc.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
ETIAS is not a Visa and does not impact the 90/180 Rules it is for advanced notification of the ability to travel similar to the Visa Waiver in the US/Canada etc.
tuscancouple didn't say it would affect the 90/180 day rules. He pointed out that for anyone expecting the rules of entry to be relaxed, the ETIAS system will strengthen the rules. It won't alter the 90/180 restriction, but it imposes the requirement for citizens of countries that are currently visa exempt, such as the UK, to obtain and pay for an ETIAS visa waiver to acquire the same right of visa free travel that we have now. That is a change in the opposite direction to that which Don Quixote was intimating.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007

I can also read :giggle:

Mick

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
ETIAS is an inevitable development as countries seek greater protection and security. Somewhat ironic given the EU’s love of “open” borders ... but I don’t think it affects the long term prospects for tourists either way.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Fortunately I am entirely indifferent to the levels of endearment felt for me. I am more interested in people understanding how these decisions have impacted the way of life that many of us have worked incredibly hard to achieve, only to have it taken from us. Maybe if more people had researched and understood the implications , which, from the questions and confusion evident on this thread, many have not, we would not now be scrabbling about to see how we can somehow preserve the freedoms that we used to enjoy.
I find what folk generally mean is not endearing to leave voters 😉 who really want everyone else to just forget and move on and ignore the complete shambles thats now been created.

Who apparently knew what they voted for 4.5 years before it was actually agreed less than 4 weeks ago

That's why ive never trusted fortune tellers as they usually don't have a clue and make it up as they go along.

Last edited:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
ETIAS is an inevitable development as countries seek greater protection and security. Somewhat ironic given the EU’s love of “open” borders ... but I don’t think it affects the long term prospects for tourists either way.
The EU have always controlled their external borders. Free movement applies to internal borders between member states. As ETIAS does not change anything with respect to free movement between member states I fail to see anything ironic about it.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Why didn't all those folk who are saying they will miss going to their favorite EU countries for extended stays, apply to be resident there, before 31st December 2020 that was........
Lots did, we have, and can stay in our favorite EU country as long as we wish, and visit other EU countries, and if so desired go to the UK, to visit family, have a holiday for up tp 180 days, all legal, all simple.....I understand not everyone can just leave the UK due to family ties, work etc, but many could have, but not so easily now I'm afraid....different times, different rules....lets move on...

I’ll tell you why - because In my case I missed the boat because I’m still working and was not in a position to apply for residency.

If Brexit was in another years time or later then it would be a different case.

So where you maybe OK, but due to timing others are not in such a fortunate position!

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I’ll tell you why - because In my case I missed the boat because I’m still working and was not in a position to apply for residency.

So where you maybe OK, but due to timing others are not in such a fortunate position!
Believe it or not there are actually a few on this very forum who now live in Spain and Portugal and did so before they voted leave in 2016 .....go figure that one out.

Vote for UK to leave the EU whilst you live in another country within the EU.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Believe it or not there are actually a few on this very forum who now live in Spain and Portugal and did so before they voted leave in 2016 .....go figure that one out.

Vote for UK to leave the EU whilst you live in another country within the EU.
We lost our UK voting rights many years ago, so we cannot complain about the whole situation we all find ourselves in just now...we all have to take a hit someway or another..including us....

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Sure...but this could be age or profession related when you can take retirement, and believe me many expats have returned to live back in the UK because of the effects of Brexit....some having lived here for 25 years but find circumstances too difficult to remain here...my original post was directed at the second home owners who perhaps are retired and could have resided here and travelled with less restrictions had they wished... Unlimited where they live...90 days in another Schengen country and up to 183 days in the UK....depending on residential status...

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We lost our UK voting rights many years ago, so we cannot complain about the whole situation we all find ourselves in just now...we all have to take a hit someway or another..including us....
I wasn't talking about you ..... I'm talking about people who DID vote for it but now live in spain and Portugal. .. .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sure...but this could be age or profession related when you can take retirement, and believe me many expats have returned to live back in the UK because of the effects of Brexit....some having lived here for 25 years but find circumstances too difficult to remain here...my original post was directed at the second home owners who perhaps are retired and could have resided here and travelled with less restrictions had they wished... Unlimited where they live...90 days in another Schengen country and up to 183 days in the UK....depending on residential status...
The problem with residency is you need a property of some description ...so not easy if you are fulltime in a van.
Its still something im looking in to but a lot more complicated

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Why didn't all those folk who are saying they will miss going to their favorite EU countries for extended stays, apply to be resident there, before 31st December 2020 that was........
Lots did, we have, and can stay in our favorite EU country as long as we wish, and visit other EU countries, and if so desired go to the UK, to visit family, have a holiday for up tp 180 days, all legal, all simple.....I understand not everyone can just leave the UK due to family ties, work etc, but many could have, but not so easily now I'm afraid....different times, different rules....lets move on...

The problem with residency is you need a property of some description ...so not easy if you are fulltime in a van.
Its still something im looking in to but a lot more complicated
Not in Portugal. You can get residency whilst living in a campsite.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Not in Portugal. You can get residency whilst living in a campsite.
Our friends are in Portugal and immigration officials came around the aire checking on people who took out residency using the aire as a address

Not saying there is anything wrong with this but what happens if you have moved onto another aire when they come around to check on you LoL

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
The EU have always controlled their external borders. Free movement applies to internal borders between member states. As ETIAS does not change anything with respect to free movement between member states I fail to see anything ironic about it.
I find it ironic that the EU feels the priority is to clamp down harder on visitors from countries that already have visa free access by tourists and business people to the EU i.e. USA, New Zealand, Australia, rather than dealing with the immigration from Middle East and Africa effectively.....unless most of the recent terrorist atrocities were committed by people posing as Aussie backpackers or US businessmen....?

Deleted User
Our friends are in Portugal and immigration officials came around the aire checking on people who took out residency using the aire as a address

Not saying there is anything wrong with this but what happens if you have moved onto another aire when they come around to check on you LoL
I wouldn't be surprised if the authorities clamp down on anyone attempting this.
When we did it the address provided had to be authenticated by 2 Portuguese nationals resident in our Frequesia(parish).
The residencia is permanent, albeit only valid for 5 years it is classed as permanent and a permanent address is required.
Everyone that I know with residence on this site is sited permanently, many with static vans, others with RV's, motorhomes and caravans.
It is possible to change address but I would think that some degree of permanence is required and I am not sure that an aire would fulfill that, though some of the camperstops may.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I find it ironic that the EU feels the priority is to clamp down harder on visitors from countries that already have visa free access by tourists and business people to the EU i.e. USA, New Zealand, Australia, rather than dealing with the immigration from Middle East and Africa effectively.....unless most of the recent terrorist atrocities were committed by people posing as Aussie backpackers or US businessmen....?
Isnt that what many like farage sold brexit on?
After all he had posters of people eith brown faces on .... name an EU country with brown faced people.

What he did was secure the vote of every racist , britain first, BNP supporter thetr was.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Then it's ironic that you misunderstand the purposes of ETIAS, as one of the primary goals is to "impede irregular migration" whilst making travelling within its borders "a safer and more secure experience".

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I wouldn't be surprised if the authorities clamp down on anyone attempting this.
When we did it the address provided had to be authenticated by 2 Portuguese nationals resident in our Frequesia(parish).
The residencia is permanent, albeit only valid for 5 years it is classed as permanent and a permanent address is required.
Everyone that I know with residence on this site is sited permanently, many with static vans, others with RV's, motorhomes and caravans.
It is possible to change address but I would think that some degree of permanence is required and I am not sure that an aire would fulfill that, though some of the camperstops may.
Id rather buy a pocket of land for a few grand and stick a tool shed on it 😁
Which is still an option im thinking of

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That seems to work ok in Portugal, although in our area the pockets of land that could be had for a few grand have become rather thin on the ground.
That's an interesting route to take...a simple answer for some....get residencia, change the van matriculation and a driving licence change or after 1st January 2021 sit and pass a Portuguese driving test...cannot see any problems with this...anyone else see this not working....? A lifeline....form an orderly queue please...

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That's an interesting route to take...a simple answer for some....get residencia, change the van matriculation and a driving licence change or after 1st January 2021 sit and pass a Portuguese driving test...cannot see any problems with this...anyone else see this not working....?
The only problem is learning the lingo and getting a job ....not old enough to retire

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back