Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just picked this off of Farce Fool, posted by Gary Scott

French customs will know how long you have been in the schengen area, here it is to start with the first stamp in passport showing date entered and most likely computerised too !!!!

1609694266097.png

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
OOooh - just like it always used to be, John!

Yeah, I spose there are people who've never had a stamp in a passport aren't there? I used to hate renewing them and having to start again. No book with completely blank pages is very interesting. Mmm, there will be customs employees with no experience of having to search for a page with a big enough space for their stamp, will there? Or ones who like to stamp their Exit stamp on the same page as his mates 'Entry' one, that could be fun when all you really wanted to do at 3am was liberate your car and get home to your own bed.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
and most likely computerised too
I believe they scan the passport each time and this is logged.

They will have zero problems tracking who exceeds the 90 day limit.

Yeah, I spose there are people who've never had a stamp in a passport aren't there?
Yup, I have never had a stamp in my passport. On my third one now and they are are clean pages.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Soooo if I am already here without a stamp, no one knows how long I have been in EU....:unsure:
Anyone without a stamp from the 1st January after 90 days has overstayed. 🙂

I agree with sedge renewing your passport and losing all those stamps from memorable holidays is quite sad, 😉 probably not the same with France. 😁 Bob.
😁 Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It will of course only be one part of your proof if you are going to be spending part of your time in somewhere like Croatia before you head back to the UK. That’s when the fun might start if you’ve been out of the UK for more than 90 days but in a Schengen country for less then 90 but Croatia for the extra ones. I am only thinking of it as that’s what we have planned for this year. Admittedly the Croatia bit is an organised tour so we will have a good record of campsites and our entry into and out of Croatia. The person behind us in the queue is going to curse on our return if it’s not automated and does rely on checking stamps in passports as we have lots and they’re never in any order.

It’s obviously later in the year so hopefully we will have had our jabs otherwise we won’t be going.

Deleted User
Wonder what would happen if a retun ferry were to be cancelled for a few days due to bad weather?

Reactions: f6c

Deleted User
It will of course only be one part of your proof if you are going to be spending part of your time in somewhere like Croatia before you head back to the UK. That’s when the fun might start if you’ve been out of the UK for more than 90 days but in a Schengen country for less then 90 but Croatia for the extra ones. I am only thinking of it as that’s what we have planned for this year. Admittedly the Croatia bit is an organised tour so we will have a good record of campsites and our entry into and out of Croatia. The person behind us in the queue is going to curse on our return if it’s not automated and does rely on checking stamps in passports as we have lots and they’re never in any order.

It’s obviously later in the year so hopefully we will have had our jabs otherwise we won’t be going.
Your passport will be scanned on leaving the Schengen area whichever crossing is used and I think this will be used to track movements rather than random stamps in passports.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Your passport will be scanned on leaving the Schengen area whichever crossing is used and I think this will be used to track movements rather than random stamps in passports.
That’s what I am assuming will happen, just like now. The stamping of them seems a bit pointless but they do look pretty!

Can’t say I am losing any sleep over it.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
That’s what I am assuming will happen, just like now. The stamping of them seems a bit pointless but they do look pretty!

Can’t say I am losing any sleep over it.
It takes time to stamp a passport, which in turn will take a queue longer to go through passport control 🛂

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I pointed that out in my other post, so yes I agree that will be a downside.
Apologise for not reading your other post, the wait time can be calculated the impact on the wait time will be affected by the number or customs officials stamping the book, whilst it’s obvious that if you have fewer officials doing the job the slower the queue. The wait time is exponentially effected the less officials you have.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I filled a ten year passport with stamps in a few weeks, I used to enjoy a run along the old causeway from Singapore to JB in Malaysia, and they would stamp you in and out.
There was a time when I managed to fill 3 three passports in a row before they had expired and for much of the time I had two passports. Its the visas for places like Saudi and Russia that waste a whole page for one trip that use up the space. That and monthly round trips of the Middle East and Eastern Europe. I do NOT miss those days of endless hours spent in airport departure lounges and in the air.
i also did the trip from Singapore to JB a couple of times, Its a fair old hike, but I did it by bus!

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
What happens if you stay longer than 90 days?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well I hold a British passport and an Irish one. How are they going to stamp the Irish one when it's made of plastic!! and officially recognised...... Will have fun with that one when we can travel again.......

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
What happens if you stay longer than 90 days?
Large fines will be issued or you will not/may be allowed back! - here in Spain it will be interesting to see how or if they will apply the 90 day rule.....
It's early days, so perhaps 6 months down the line there will be an agreement of sorts to allow longer stays. Fingers crossed.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Well I hold a British passport and an Irish one. How are they going to stamp the Irish one when it's made of plastic!! and officially recognised...... Will have fun with that one when we can travel again.......
They won’t need need to stamp an Irish passport, will they? Eire is in the EU.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

I posted on another thread. 🤔 Bob.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just watching BBC Rip Of Britain, and the travel guy said,regarding the 90 day rule that for example,if you travelled to the EU Jan 1st and returned end of March ,ie 90 days ,the next earliest time you could go again was 1st June .
Is this correct.?

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
They won’t need need to stamp an Irish passport, will they? Eire is in the EU.
Good point did not think of that. Problem is only I hold an Irish passport as they would not issue one for the wife...... and before anyone says something..... it was not because Welsh.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back