Proof of the 90 day limit ! (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
That's an interesting route to take...a simple answer for some....get residencia, change the van matriculation and a driving licence change or after 1st January 2021 sit and pass a Portuguese driving test...cannot see any problems with this...anyone else see this not working....? A lifeline....form an orderly queue please...
Not as easy as it was but Portugal has a D7 visa for non EU citizens wishing to take up residency......conditions apply :Smile: Driving licence would remain a problem.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's grim up north :Smile:
Not so warm here at the moment but beautiful clear sunny skies.
Yes

But i was speaking to a british couple here the other day who have made enquiries about residency here in greece too and other options ...so who knows ...there might be other options by the time im ready to actually settle somewhere which I don't think i am yet ...
Meantime ill just have to explore non shengen countries to extend my trips as 90 days is way too short now when im used to long trips.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Not as easy as it was but Portugal has a D7 visa for non EU citizens wishing to take up residency......conditions apply :Smile: Driving licence would remain a problem.
Still, folk asking about obtaining residencia here in Spain....until what it's going to cost and the formalities required.....has the past 4 years come as a suprise....is Brexit an unknown word...very straightforward up to to turn of the year.... certainly not now....
It will never happen attitude, has happened...

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
And the chances of me being on a campsite in Portugal are 😉
Yeah but you can use it to gain residency without having a permanent address if desired and then move on. Mate here only stayed 2 days on the campsite and used the invoice to gain residency now he's back wilding until he decides where he wants to settle. There are people who have been living in this campsite 10 years!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yeah but you can use it to gain residency without having a permanent address if desired and then move on. Mate here only stayed 2 days on the campsite and used the invoice to gain residency now he's back wilding until he decides where he wants to settle. There are people who have been living in this campsite 10 years!
That could be an option .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Still

Mine too....but reading Portuguese so, so, reading and Speaking it....well....🤔
I found it very difficult....greek is also very hard ....and trying to learn that on Duolingo is almost impossible.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Still, folk asking about obtaining residencia here in Spain....until what it's going to cost and the formalities required.....has the past 4 years come as a suprise....is Brexit an unknown word...very straightforward up to to turn of the year.... certainly not now....
It will never happen attitude, has happened...
Yes im one that hoped common sense would prevail. But im not ready yet ...few more years yet

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Then it's ironic that you misunderstand the purposes of ETIAS, as one of the primary goals is to "impede irregular migration" whilst making travelling within its borders "a safer and more secure experience".
I’m sure that is one of its objectives.... but if irregular migration from a visa free country is such an issue, I’d have thought the first step would be to reinstate the need for visas
Anyway, I suspect most thread readers are more interested in the original topic, than our thoughts on each other’s posts.
I think we’re agreed that, as I posted way back, ETIAS is a red herring and will make no difference either way, to the 90/180 rules.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Yes

But i was speaking to a british couple here the other day who have made enquiries about residency here in greece too and other options ...so who knows ...there might be other options by the time im ready to actually settle somewhere which I don't think i am yet ...
Meantime ill just have to explore non shengen countries to extend my trips as 90 days is way too short now when im used to long trips.
I have Greek residency, taken out a year ago. We do not own or rent a property, but have an annual contract with our boatyard which was deemed acceptable. We now have to apply for the new biometric card, which has, apparently more stringent requirements in relation to health cover, and requires one to stay a minimum of 183 days, which will have tax implications eventually. This is far from ideal, but remains the only option for us to continue to spent all summer on our boat and to use our motorhome to get there.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
which will have tax implications eventually. T
I wouldn't worry.the Greek tax system relies on the 'honesty' principle. :giggle:
It only becomes problematic if you earn over 90,000€ year, so very few Ferrari driving, Lamborghini owners living in multi million euro properties declare that they earn over 90k.they are just very thrifty.:LOL:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I have Greek residency, taken out a year ago. We do not own or rent a property, but have an annual contract with our boatyard which was deemed acceptable. We now have to apply for the new biometric card, which has, apparently more stringent requirements in relation to health cover, and requires one to stay a minimum of 183 days, which will have tax implications eventually. This is far from ideal, but remains the only option for us to continue to spent all summer on our boat and to use our motorhome to get there.
Sounds a great option/ lifestyle you are living.... thank you for your many factual posts also....there are far too many hearsay opinions being posted on many forums we read...we all are living in a constant changing world...we have to adapt and move on....too many folk cannot break free from how it's been in the past...it certainly isn't the same now for one reason or another...

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That's interesting...im guessing with that residency it doesn't affect your driving licence etc or your motorhome being uk plated and registered etc.

Id heard it causes issues in Portugal and Spain

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
That's interesting...im guessing with that residency it doesn't affect your driving licence etc or your motorhome being uk plated and registered etc.

Id heard it causes issues in Portugal and Spain
Yes, potentially it could but as the van sits in the secured boatyard for all the time we are on Greece I am inclined to take a flyer on that....

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
Sounds a great option/ lifestyle you are living.... thank you for your many factual posts also....there are far too many hearsay opinions being posted on many forums we read...we all are living in a constant changing world...we have to adapt and move on....too many folk cannot break free from how it's been in the past...it certainly isn't the same now for one reason or another...
No, life is infinitely more complicated. For example, if I wanted to bring my boat back to the UK, our government would levy VAT on it, despite the fact that it is EU VAT paid already, from when we were part of the EU. So a whopping great tax which I have already paid as part of the purchase price. The only way I could avoid it would be to sail it home in the next 10 months, which I have no desire to do. So in essence I have to sell my boat, should I wish to, on the EU. An added complication is that EU states could decide to apply VAT as a British registered non EU boat, even though I already have already paid tax on it. Not a happy outcome, and one which is giving many of us headaches...

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
I wouldn't worry.the Greek tax system relies on the 'honesty' principle. :giggle:
It only becomes problematic if you earn over 90,000€ year, so very few Ferrari driving, Lamborghini owners living in multi million euro properties declare that they earn over 90k.they are just very thrifty.:LOL:
I would like to think so but regrettably they are getting much more joined up in their approach to taxation. There is a much larger monthly cruising tax, which for us is 100 euros a month, all done online and port police in some areas are pretty vigorous in checking that it is paid and their are swingeing fines if you haven't paid it.
A Facebook group I belong to which acts as a support to Brits in Greece describes the Greek tax system as slow to act but swift to strike, and once they get you, they take no prisoners....

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Yes

Yes I'm with you on that one. This residency thing is making me stressed. Maybe when things settle down I'll get motivated to think about it but in the meantime I'll just live for today and keep in the 90/180

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back