LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Just watching BBC Rip Of Britain, and the travel guy said,regarding the 90 day rule that for example,if you travelled to the EU Jan 1st and returned end of March ,ie 90 days ,the next earliest time you could go again was 1st June .
Is this correct.?
Don’t think it is Jim, it should have been 1st of July or rather 90 days starting the day after you got back to in the U.K.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your second sentence rather undermines your first.

Ian
Psst ... that's 2 different funsters ... :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
He did say there would be consequences, but he meant that both the EU and the UK would suffer from our leaving, and that things would not be the same for either of us. He also said that he understood we wished for a hard brexit, and that we shouldn't expect the EU to roll over and offer us things that we ask for on a plate. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Isn't that how negotiation works?
That was my recollection.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I am not sure that a recollection that was “almost verbatim” quite justifies the use of quotation marks. It implies that your recollection was accurate. You may be confused with Mr Johnson’s, later, curious references to “punishment beatings”. Hollande was not known for his mastery of the English language and I am unable to find an occasion when he used the word punishment, or even punir, in a speech relating to Brexit. Possibly another instance of confirmation bias.
I would be delighted to be corrected.
Please yourself, I can assure you I'm not confusing Mr Hollande comments with anything Mr Johnson or anyone else said. Mr Hollande comments were made on June 24th 2016.
Sad as it may be one thing for certain is that Brussels, (that would be the EU parliament) for those that struggle to grasp conversation, have declared just how much they value all those that enjoy travelling for prolonged periods in EU countries.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
Maybe they just haven't got round to doing a UK one yet ... :giggle:

This is the correct one for UK. the EN_US in the URL is a reference to the language used for the application, i.e. English, as opposed to the location the user is applying from.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is the correct one for UK. the EN_US in the URL is a reference to the language used for the application, i.e. English, as opposed to the location the user is applying from.
I was taking the doo-doo! :giggle:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
He did say there would be consequences, but he meant that both the EU and the UK would suffer from our leaving, and that things would not be the same for either of us. He also said that he understood we wished for a hard brexit, and that we shouldn't expect the EU to roll over and offer us things that we ask for on a plate. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Isn't that how negotiation works?
How on earth can you say he said something but meant something else, he was quite clear in his radio statement that Britain would be punished, in the TV interview he clearly said that Britain MUST PAY the Price, going on to say we must be firm or other countries will think they can leave.
He said he believed Britain wanted a Hard Brexit not that we had asked for one, we had already committed to continue payments for ongoing future plans up until the date we left.
So it was clear that Britain would honour it's commitments and yes a negotiation is two sides sat around a table discussing not like the EU demanding conditions with threats.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You could always stump up the €40,000 for EU
500k here for property gets you residencia
As an example, if we were to want to move to Spain, for say 200 days, having arrived legally using te 90 in 180 rule I could apply for residency as the spouse of an EU citizen.
No you couldn't.You can stay the same 90 days in the country as long as with your spouse. Then you can both go next door after 89 days & do the same & again after another 89 days.
If you wish to apply for residency as a 3rd country national married to an EU citizen then the only place it can be done is where the EU citizen has the residency .= Ireland.
The suggestion is that the 90 days visa-free and a 90-day tourist Visa can be used one after the other,
You're dreaming. One or the other .The UK has visa waiver so no entitlement to an actual visa.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Please yourself, I can assure you I'm not confusing Mr Hollande comments with anything Mr Johnson or anyone else said. Mr Hollande comments were made on June 24th 2016.
"June 24, 2016 1:54 pm

PARIS — French President François Hollande pledged on Friday to jumpstart talks about reforming the European Union, saying there was a need to “understand [Europe’s] shortcomings” after British voters opted on June 23 to leave the EU.
Speaking after a three-hour crisis meeting with top ministers he had summoned to the Elysée Palace, Hollande said the U.K. vote left Europe facing “an immense danger.”

He said France would push for initiatives on Europe’s defence and security “to protect its borders and deal with its enemies,” as well as on tax and social harmonization, and strengthening the eurozone notably by improving its “democratic governance.”

France, he said, has a “particular responsibility,” because it “is at the heart of Europe, wanted it and built it.”

Hollande said he would travel to Berlin on Monday to meet with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and perhaps Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, to prepare the agenda of a summit of EU leaders set for next Tuesday and Wednesday.

“Europe must push forward projects, and not get lost in procedures,” Hollande said. “It must decide quickly wherever it is expected to, but must once and for all leave to nation states what is under their competence.”

The French president also insisted that France would continue to work with the U.K., “a friendly country,” and that the “close ties” between the two countries would be maintained, notably in the defence area."

(Report on Francois Hollande's speech, 24th June 2014 - POLITICO, a global nonpartisan politics and policy news organization, launched in Europe in April 2015)

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Sad as it may be one thing for certain is that Brussels, (that would be the EU parliament) for those that struggle to grasp conversation, have declared just how much they value all those that enjoy travelling for prolonged periods in EU countries.
If you add a little context (i.e. not just cherry pick a bit of a longer quote) you end up with something like this:
"There will be consequences if the UK is to leave the EU, there will be consequences in many areas, in the single market, in the financial trade, in development, in the economic development between our two countries.
"It doesn't mean that everything will be destroyed, I don't want to give you catastrophic scenarios, but there will be consequences.
" Now it seems to me that something as seismic as a major player leaving a partnership that had endured for over forty years, during which time that player received concessions unavailable to other members of the partnership, would have consequences for all concerned. Only the unicorn farmers who seemed to think we could leave and have all the privileges with none of the contributions would see that as anything other than a statement of the bleeding' obvious.

Hollande also said "The arguments in the Brexit vote and in the American presidential campaign are about the same. In a friendly way, may I also give some advice to the American people to make the right choice when the moment comes." He was right there as well . . .

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
500k here for property gets you residencia

No you couldn't.You can stay the same 90 days in the country as long as with your spouse. Then you can both go next door after 89 days & do the same & again after another 89 days.
If you wish to apply for residency as a 3rd country national married to an EU citizen then the only place it can be done is where the EU citizen has the residency .= Ireland.

You're dreaming. One or the other .The UK has visa waiver so no entitlement to an actual visa.
Is "residencia" the same as EU citizenship? Seems €40,000 is a bargain then :giggle:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
And they've just punished us even further with the launch of the new GHIC card, that retains all identical benefits to the EHIC card. Nasty EU for agreeing to that eh?

Existing EHICs will remain valid until they expire. You can apply for a GHIC if you have less than 6 months remaining until your EHIC expires. Already applied for ours as our EHICs expire in May (y)

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
For those who say it cannot be done see screenshot below. Visa applied for as a UK citizen, or to be precise it would be applied for if I paid the £90). I cannot do that atm as I am in Spain and am certifying I am in the UK. Note the visa type.

The Blue Box is where I have redacted my personal information.

EDITED TO ADD: And before someone points it out, I am fully aware that applied for is not the same as granted...

1610393811599.png

Deleted User
For those who say it cannot be done see screenshot below. Visa applied for as a UK citizen, or to be precise it would be applied for if I paid the £90). I cannot do that atm as I am in Spain and am certifying I am in the UK. Note the visa type.

EDITED TO ADD: And before someone points it out, I am fully aware that applied for is not the same as granted...

View attachment 455602
Definitely possible to apply for an extended stay visa, I thought we were discussing 90 day visa's and the need or otherwise.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019

View attachment 455602
???

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
Definitely possible to apply for an extended stay visa, I thought we were discussing 90 day visa's and the need or otherwise.

The option was also there for 90 day,

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Definitely possible to apply for an extended stay visa, I thought we were discussing 90 day visa's and the need or otherwise

Hate to be argumentative but, would you please prove your assertion with a link to the relevant website as I do not think it is possible for a tourist visa to be extended.

Mick

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

View attachment 455602
So what did you put down as purpose of stay?

Deleted User
Hate to be argumentative but, would you please prove your assertion with a link to the relevant website as I do not think it is possible for a tourist visa to be extended.

Mick

I have filled that form in for an extended visa as a trial and it is possible to fill it in as a visitor, which I would assume includes tourist.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC

View attachment 455602

Last edited:

Deleted User
The discussion moved on past that pages ago, most are now discussing extending beyond 90 days 😊

Mick

I think that we have also been talking at cross purposes, the linked form shown by domf has the option to apply for a long stay visa as a visitor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back