Buying privately (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello all, it's me, the pest again needing your wise words of wisdom.
I have a bit of a dilemma going on with our first purchase of a motorhome.
We have looked at a Hymer Exis T 588 at a dealer. £ 49,995. It is a 14 plate with 19k miles. The dealer has offered to discount an awning by 50% as the MH does not have this. They have also offered to discount a set of tyres as I asked for a new set. I don't know what age the tyres on it are but assume they could be original and therefore 6yrs old.
I am also going to ask that the warranty is extended to 1yr from 6mths. I may also ask for discount on a safefill gas bottle and I am going to push for as many other extras I can think of.
I am happy with the dealer response so far.

The problem. I have just spotted this on autotrader and by all accounts looks like a better van. It is one yr younger with less mileage. It has recently had it's 5yr cam belt exchange along with guide and tensioner £666. It also has, according to the owner, had a recent habitation check £330.
The seller has been very good at communication.

Broken Link Removed

I am still worried about being scammed. I am supposed to be going to see this MH tomorrow. I could fob off the dealer until Friday but is it worth the risk for a saving of 3k?

The private sale one looks like it's in better condition, with an awning and very good mechanically and cosmetically.

phew...sorry about the length of post
TIA

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes, just spoke to him and he sounded completely genuine. Very knowledgeable about the van and extremely helpful. I was on the phone with him for an hour. To go and see it tomorrow where he said he would show me how everything works.
Interesting too as its apparently in my home town of Dunfermline
Sadly im not as im in italy at present but curious to know who and where it is.

Small world indeed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Obviously if it’s around the correct money it’s less likely to be a scam.

Still need to do your checks though.

More difficult to ring a vehicle these days with the vin in the windscreen.

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
The private sale is a much better bet imho, and my limited experience suggests that dealers are less likely to play fair that private sellers

Upvote 0
Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
Re the private sale MH, which incidentally I think does appear to be the better of the two vehicles, ask if the owner has any historical photos of previous trips showing the van.
Most people seem to have at least one or two. Enquire to see other receipts relating to the van, coupled with your open source enquiries this should build up a good picture, and hopefully satisfy any worries you may have.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I would go for the private sale. Offer 43k. If its a scam they'd take that right away. Also from my experience of trying to sell a van, thats a price range that is always hard to sell. A lot of people start thinking of spending a bit more for a new van. Don't worry about the dealer, its business like him you go for whats best for you.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
They are different vans, the Exsis is narrow compared to the Tramp. Take a good look at the dimensions, weights and payloads then decide. We chose the Exsis particularly for its width and 3.5t weight.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Tramp SL is in a different league to an Exsis I think that year they have a double floor and worth quite a few grand more than an Exsis. The dealers Exsis is way over priced, no comparison between the two.

One comment I would make the plated weight is not given on the SL if its plated at 3500kg it will be very difficult to run at that (I've had one), so would probably need uprating to 3850. If it's on the 4250kg chassis that would be excellent.
If you don't have a C1 you will have plenty of spare cash to get one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just incase you missed my earlier post.
According to autotrader the private sale one is in my home town of Dunfermline...
If you let me know where about in Dunfermline and the sellers name i could probably tell you if he's a known trader or not.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I would go for the private sale. Offer 43k. If its a scam they'd take that right away. Also from my experience of trying to sell a van, thats a price range that is always hard to sell. A lot of people start thinking of spending a bit more for a new van. Don't worry about the dealer, its business like him you go for whats best for you.
Not necessarily a scam ....when i bought my frankia second hand it was listed at £43995 . ....i paid £38000 in the end
They had it listed for 8 months prior with an agent.

When i sold it 14 months later i listed it at £42500 and sold for £41500 within 7 days of listing it with 16000 miles more on it

To be honest £43000 would be my starting offer if i went to view the private sale van anyway ...more chance of getting it sub £45k that way

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Looks copied & pasted from sales brochure to me.
I think he's just trying to sound professional ...lots of folk make that mistake when selling private and end up just making folk suspicious. Probably find its genuine enough and the guy has just been offered 10k less from either of the big dealers around fife ie perthshire caravans or knowepark caravans ...
Probably buying another and knows hell get better price private than either of those cowboys would give.

If id been home id have looked at that van myself

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the private ones a better bet you get to meet the previous owner and see what sort of people they are with the dealer's you have no idea.

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since early 2014
The photos certainly look good......but then, they should! You would not get any warranty with the private sale, I assume, so you would need to be pretty confident about it’s condition...... :unsure:

I buy my warranties privately from MB&G. They’ve recently extended the ability to have a ‘gold’ warranty from a maximum of 5 years old to 10 years old. Currently costs me in the low 30 pounds a month for mine. Loads of cover, takes all the worry about major expensive breakage. They may have competitors ....no idea, but folks may not know you can arrange your own. I’d probably go the private Purchase route too by the way! Good luck.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
That's a point. I've already had the thought, why only 6mths warranty on a vehicle that's costing 50k? that' the kind of warranty you'd get on a car for a few thousand quid.
I already have a suspicion that the awning he's offering at 50% discount will probably not cost much more than the £500 we're still to pay.
I don't know the age of the tyres but I thought I'd try it on anyhow as they could well be six yrs old. He said he would discount these too. I will be telling him I don't want cheapo's fitted.

It's a blood nightmare isn't it......trying not to get ripped off!!!
I have just purchased a motorhome from a dealer which was 2015 had good tread on tyres only done 10000 miles but dealer agreed to put 5 tyres yes even the spare Continental vanco on at his cost and gave 12 months warranty without being asked there are good dealers and very good dealers!

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Run the HPI check and verify the vehicle VIN number on the V5, it’s on the data plate (under the bonnet and in the windscreen display , left corner , on a boxer and fixed on the chassis rail just in front of the left front wheel. Fiat likely to be the same.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm getting a bit excited now. it's an automatic, a year younger, less mileage, newer model with 150BHP upgrade, fully winterised :p. Better get my sensible head on for tomorrow
Cmon then its dark you must have viewed it by now ...have yer bought it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Well I only gone and did it:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:. Totally genuine couple. Spent about four hours there going over the van and it's like brand new..
I left work at 1pm. Got there for about 2.20 and I only just got back home ten minutes ago!
A mountain of receipts, booklets etc etc. The kitchen looks like it's hardly been used. Same with the toilet. They never used the carpets so they're brand new.
He's throwing in the two gas bottles, one is full.
I tried getting some cash off but he wasn't budging. Pick up on Saturday and we will take it for a wee spin up Loch Lomond way and have a cup of tea in it to start with then we are off next week so plenty of time to go around in it.
Off to look at insurance for it now. thanks again everybody

Thank you all for your help and advice. Great forum and great folk

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back