Wish us luck ! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Technically speaking, your agent acts on your behalf, and the files actually belong to you

But it can be a thankless task (and all too often, very rewarding in terms of commissions), so probably best not to rattle them at this stage. They want their commission, make 'em work for it

Again valuable information.... Thanks .

Have had some encouraging news this afternoon which I will sit on for now. I dont want to tempt fate ! But I will update when I know a wee bit more.

Thanks again every one of you I doubt you know how much its helped talking to someone outside of the frame so to speak. (y)(y)(y)(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Have put our house back on the market.... No choice really.

For what it is worth I think you have done the correct thing.

If I was selling again in England I would leave the house on the market until contracts were exchanged but make it clear that I would honour an accepted offer as long as contracts were exchanged on the agreed date. Once bitten and all that :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Good luck.

I do understand your reluctance to rock the boat but remember :

There is a fine line between kicking arse and wasting your time waiting for others to get their arse in gear.

It's a big market out there with lots of buyers so don't delay unnecessarily.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Good luck.

I do understand your reluctance to rock the boat but remember :

There is a fine line between kicking arse and wasting your time waiting for others to get their arse in gear.

It's a big market out there with lots of buyers so don't delay unnecessarily.

Chris its a case of trying to read between the lines. Get it wrong and it will fail because of me and that for me would be hard to live with. It genuinely is an agonising situation and one way or the other it has to come to an end soon as its hard going ..

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
For what it is worth I think you have done the correct thing.

If I was selling again in England I would leave the house on the market until contracts were exchanged but make it clear that I would honour an accepted offer as long as contracts were exchanged on the agreed date. Once bitten and all that :)

I do understand what you are saying but if I was in a position where a vendor I made an agreement with continued to market the property then would I have the confidence to pay out for Solicitors, Surveys. Land registry charges and the searches ? I doubt it ..

Of course we and all those in the chain have paid for all these elements. Our Vendor hasn't because he and his wife are going into rented because they feel it will put them in a stronger position later on. But we . Our buyer. And the couple at the bottom of the chain have paid out quite a bit of money .

Rough costs are .

Solicitors. Sale and purchase costs roughly 2200 plus VAT

Survey. In our area a basic valuation survey costs £695 + VAT and a full detailed one at the very least £1500 + VAT. land registry charge and searches I think it was £475.

But thats only the money. The time and emotion invested is incredible and we cannot of course put a price on that.

So to do all that when a property is still openly for sale would present a risk or two. Firstly a cash buyer might stroll up and offer cash and completion in little time. Secondly a buyer might show up view and gazump ... The list goes on.

When we went to see the bungalow we had checked out the area. We were in full possession of re the area what it has to offer and pretty much everything else. We viewed and agreed to pay the full asking price with the vendor there and then .We shook on the deal and that was it. The Vendor is just one spot on fella and his wife equally so. We knew the bungalow was for us and it really didn't matter what the inside was like. It is very nice and only requires light restorationand adaption for the wife. But if it had been disgusting it would not have mattered a jot. I build and build well and if we are fortunate I will turn this already very nice property into something special. I'm thick as pudding and dyslexic as hell but I have good hand skills. Just as well according to my teachers at school ! :D:D;);)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Apologies if this has already been suggested, I've only really scanned the thread.

Would a bridging loan to allow you to complete your purchase and then let the chain catch up in its own time be an option?

I know it would be expensive but it might reduce the stress levels a bit.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I do understand what you are saying but if I was in a position where a vendor I made an agreement with continued to market the property then would I have the confidence to pay out for Solicitors, Surveys. Land registry charges and the searches ?

That is what happens in Scotland. You make an offer via a solicitor so there are legal fees before you even have an offer accepted - then all the other charges come in during the missives stage and it can still all fall though at any point.

We have learnt to our cost that there is no honour when buying and selling houses having been "done over" more than once when trying to do the honourable thing ourselves.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Apologies if this has already been suggested, I've only really scanned the thread.

Would a bridging loan to allow you to complete your purchase and then let the chain catch up in its own time be an option?

I no nothing about house buying as I am living in the one I was born in now and only moved next door when we married and built our own so havnt liked to get involved but I did think this from the beginning.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Nick the amount required is quite substantial... I feel it would add to the stress rather than relieve it and I'm unsure if the banks would lend us anywhere near the money anyway .

I'm not sure how credit scoring works but we have not had a mortgage or loans of any description for over ten years. My limited understanding is that without recent history our credit score would be low.

But as above the lump of money is quite a lot (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Chris its a case of trying to read between the lines. Get it wrong and it will fail because of me and that for me would be hard to live with. It genuinely is an agonising situation and one way or the other it has to come to an end soon as its hard going ..

Charlie - it's your call.

I would call it now, but that's me.

Time wasters are time wasters are time wasters.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
@Charlie I am aware that there are some issues going on that we (the forum) aren't privy to, however my opinion for what it's worth, is put your house back on the market at the increased market value, you might be able to recover some of the costs you have incurred. I'm not an expert like @scousebird and @Chris but I do watch all episodes of escape to the country. (y)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
That is what happens in Scotland. You make an offer via a solicitor so there are legal fees before you even have an offer accepted - then all the other charges come in during the missives stage and it can still all fall though at any point.

We have learnt to our cost that there is no honour when buying and selling houses having been "done over" more than once when trying to do the honourable thing ourselves.

We purchased in Scotland 8 years ago. We made offers directly to the estate agents. Once verbally agreed the offer was made formally though an appointed Scottish solicitor. An English solicitor cannot and will not do it as it is not allowed.

Our Scottish solicitor charged us £60 to make the formal offer on our behalf. If anything had gone wrong after that we would have been liable for work and disbursement Done or accrued up to that point and nothing more. This is just the same here in England except it's not necessary to make the offer through a solicitor.

It is actually easier to work with these things in England rather than Scotland.

In Scotland it seems a mans (or woman's ) word means more or at least represents more then it does here south of the wall. Sadly the word means little these days....

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
@Charlie I am aware that there are some issues going on that we (the forum) aren't privy to, however my opinion for what it's worth, is put your house back on the market at the increased market value, you might be able to recover some of the costs you have incurred. I'm not an expert like @scousebird and @Chris but I do watch all episodes of escape to the country. (y)

I think I've made an omission in my posting since yesterday... I was adamant that we would put the house back on the market and indeed instructed our selling agent to do so... But then I got thinking.. My thoughts were that our buyer has done nothing wrong . Ok communication from them has not been great but they have done nothing wrong. It is the first time buyers that are at fault or dare I say their representatives.

So why beat our buyers up and stress the heck out of them. I must admit to loosing my temper and having a right go at our selling agent. Once I had calmed down I apologised but made my point firmly and with emphasis that they must stop messing around and get on with the job.

There is absolutely no doubt we could remarket and achieve a better price. But at the root of all this is my wife's health and I cannot risk endangering that for the sake of money. If that were not a factor I would have binned the whole thing.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Charlie - it's your call.

I would call it now, but that's me.

Time wasters are time wasters are time wasters.

I genuinly appreciate your opinion.. But as things unfold I've decided to just ease off if only till Monday or Tuesday. I could be placing my trust in the wrong area but that's a risk I'm going to take.

This is like a roller coaster. I'm swinging between throwing in the towel which would be unfair to certain parties or hanging in there . A rock and a hard place ? It's mad how when we reach the end of our tether something kicks in and we try again. Mid week I felt truly desperate. Now I've calmed a bit but I will not tolerate much more. One last go............

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think I've made an omission in my posting since yesterday... I was adamant that we would put the house back on the market and indeed instructed our selling agent to do so... But then I got thinking.. My thoughts were that our buyer has done nothing wrong . Ok communication from them has not been great but they have done nothing wrong. It is the first time buyers that are at fault or dare I say their representatives.

So why beat our buyers up and stress the heck out of them. I must admit to loosing my temper and having a right go at our selling agent. Once I had calmed down I apologised but made my point firmly and with emphasis that they must stop messing around and get on with the job.

There is absolutely no doubt we could remarket and achieve a better price. But at the root of all this is my wife's health and I cannot risk endangering that for the sake of money. If that were not a factor I would have binned the whole thing.
But the tremors of you going back on the market resonate down the whole chain. Don't forget that.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
But the tremors of you going back on the market resonate down the whole chain. Don't forget that.

Yes I know... Chris maybe I should have played that card.. Maybe not... It's a tough one.

Two things stopped me. 1 was that our buyer would have a heap of stress put upon them. They have waited since early Febuary for us. In that time we won and lost a bungalow but they waited. As it's not thier fault why should they suffer. 2 is that it could easily cause the chain at the bottom to fall. It could of course kick them up the botoooom and get them into gear. I'm not brave or confident enough to make that call. Well not yet.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you give out the agents name at the bottom of the chain then we can all call expressing an interest in their clients "sold" property.

It might kick some ass

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Your solicitor must know the name & the solicitor of your buyer. Ask him for them.
Then ring your buyer & tell him to furnish you with the name of the first time buyers & their solicitor as you'd like to whip some life into them.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I know.

Aren't they the ones who need a kick up the arse?

Yes I see.... But surely the agent would say the property is SSTC ? I would expect the selling agent for the property we hope to buy to say that if an enquiry was made. .

I think the next two working days will be pivotal . (y)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Your solicitor must know the name & the solicitor of your buyer. Ask him for them.
Then ring your buyer & tell him to furnish you with the name of the first time buyers & their solicitor as you'd like to whip some life into them.

They have mate.. Trust me I have been relentless in applying pressure firmly in every department. ;)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yes I see.... But surely the agent would say the property is SSTC ? I would expect the selling agent for the property we hope to buy to say that if an enquiry was made. .

I think the next two working days will be pivotal . (y)

You misunderstand me.

Your enquiry with that agent is WTF is going on.

It need go no further than that

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
You misunderstand me.

Yes, we have had that in a similar situation. The agent said it was all with the solicitors. Our buyers (nice people) said it couldn't be as no one from their buyers had asked them for their solicitor's name / address ...... then we found that our buyer's buyer had changed their mind and emigrated without letting anyone know! Had I not made waves we would still be waiting.

Our sale did go through but we lost the property we had been interested in, but that's the way it works sometimes. We rented short-term and in the end it was for the best.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You misunderstand me.

:):):) Doh with you now . I have done that already Chris.. I'm a little reluctant to lay the blame squarely on anyone but what I can say is it's with the first time buyers representatives .

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
How's today gone for you @Charlie ?
Take the weekend off, both of you probably need it and you definitely deserve it.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
How's today gone for you @Charlie ?
Take the weekend off, both of you probably need it and you definitely deserve it.

Encouraged... Just need a bit of luck early next week and we could be cooking with gas. (y)
Your right it has been one hell of a week and I'm drained. ;)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
What a saga @Charlie
You have my sympathy.
House buying and selling must be the most stressful thing most of us have to cope with but the added complication of health issues must make it all just too much.
It's not difficult to see why you are getting into 'a bit of a state'.
The support you have had on Fun has been amazing, partly due no doubt to the amount of help you have given us all with your detailing advice. What goes around ...........etc.
Keep positive, we are all rooting for you and waiting for that good news next week.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back