LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Have you thought of if fitting a replacement awning and etching the reg number be it ever so small, somewhere on the awning and adding the rider *awning etched* on it? I know its too late as that horse has bolted but it may stop future thefts, I sympathise with your problem as I dropped a Carrado motorhome off for service and some Tw*t stole the rear lights before we picked it up! So all our ancillaries now have either etched or invisible some form of ID , however I must agree with Tinal that outlay did in no way meet the cost or usefulness, We were forever pinning it down or winding it in we even bought a privacy room that we never used as it was too much trouble if we needed or had to move the van When we changed we decided that after three vans that the pop up tent, would be cheaper easier and better all round calculate in for stupid dogs (on a tie up lead) that destroy the legs of the awning when they decide that somewhere to lie down other would be better and getting up in the middle of the night to wind in as the weather has changed or that you have changed pitch and its unless! A good pop up awning is lighter, cheaper more versatile and so much cheaper and stronger than the wind out awning. The only down side is that some UK *Clubs* Don't like them ! Use your insurance to claim and get a pop up!

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Funnily enough I and 4 other vans in my storage had our awnings stolen last year. Thankfully there was no damage to my van. It must take real planning to steal them - they’re not the easiest things to walk away with!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
How did they remove it without damage.
All mine have been bolted through the wall with large spreader plates on the inside.
Only way that's coming off is ripped off or unbolted from inside.
Bolts through sidewall only hold the brackets on ...the actual awning hooks on to the brackets and secured with only a few screws ... I've removed and replaced a few of mine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Had the awning on ours targeted in a couple of days before we had a 35hr ferry to catch so could only do a temporary job before heading home.
Once home I repaired the damaged bodywork and fitted two extra brackets each bracket has a mix of fittings torx, allen, Philips etc etc including security screws which require specific bits to remove them.
Yes it could be removed but it would be need more than a couple of spanner’s.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Yep, I removed mine recently as I had a leak through one of the fixing bolts. They are VERY easy to remove. Just two screws per plate on the outside and the whole thing is light enough to lift off on your own.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
If you are looking for a used one, I hope you don’t end up buying your old one Back.
What b.....s.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Got me thinking now, is there a locking mechanism to stop someone winding it out? 🤷‍♂️
Mine is electric. Unless they have the key device or know how to work the inverter, it isn’t going anywhere.

If anyone really wants it they will get it anyway

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Mine is electric. Unless they have the key device or know how to work the inverter, it isn’t going anywhere.

If anyone really wants it they will get it anyway
You don't need to unwind it to remove it. The external fixings which hold it to the body plates are accessible from the underneath of the case.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You don't need to unwind it to remove it. The external fixings which hold it to the body plates are accessible from the underneath of the case.
It is very flush against the side of the van. I don’t think so......

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
It is very flush against the side of the van. I don’t think so......
Screenshot_20201228-222908.png

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
In my case they tried to bar mine off hence all the dents to the bodywork just lucky that the captive nuts held.
The awning would have to be partially wound out to gain access to any of the fixtures.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Omnistore awning looks nothing like that. Suggest you come and try and steal mine

sadly my omnistor looks just like the Fiamma photo 🤔

we had to change ours due to wind damage and was amazed to find mine was and is fixed to the bracket only by externally accessed self tappers 😳 off in 3 minutes

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Could use shear bolts as used on steering Column lock/ignition switches.
Once on and sheared they have to be drilled out.
That would work for the bracket fixings but they wouldn't come off from the outside anyway. The awning is held in the brackets by a few self-tappers which are easily removed. If in a hurry two people could have it off in under a minute with no need to wind it out.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The worst part about this sort of theft is that it was probably another motorhomer that stole it to put on their van
May appear a little racist but there is a group of travellers who used to nick caravans but now like to live in motorhomes who will steal your motorhome and accessorises , so probably not a motorhomer who is likely to be a funster, but one who target you.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
My sister had her awning stolen from their hymer caravan ,it was on a storage site that we used when we had motorhome,so they knew it had to be someone on the site ,its a large remote storage site,and the owner is very nice ,he wanted to give them a refund on fees for their loss but they refused ,as its not his fault theirs some caravaning/motorhoming thieving barstewards,(it was the zip up wind out type ) theres some nasty folk about eh?………… hes going to get an air awning next i think,he used the other for sheltering his motorbike as he does classic bike racing :)

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Awnings are also a very popular addition to a van used as a workshop by off road racing teams, at almost every race meeting windout awnings are in greater numbers, not pointing any fingers just an observation, I recall a few years ago a Police raid on a race meeting and almost every vehicle had stolen parts being used, its not the theft its the fact someone is perceived to be getting * a bargain* and not bothered too much about the provenance that fuels theft

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I have read thru this post with absolute fascination.. shock and indeed horror.
Why? Well until now it has never crossed my mind to steal a wind out awning and more Importantly I did not have sufficient knowledge of the fixing method to attach said awning to vehicle or indeed how easy it is to remove.
Well I certainly have ALL the relevant information and knowledge to carry out this dastardly deed now.
Further more, with this being an "open forum" I wonder how many unscrupulous individuals have had the "lets steal a wind out awning"seed planted!?!?!?

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I have read thru this post with absolute fascination.. shock and indeed horror.
Why? Well until now it has never crossed my mind to steal a wind out awning and more Importantly I did not have sufficient knowledge of the fixing method to attach said awning to vehicle or indeed how easy it is to remove.
Well I certainly have ALL the relevant information and knowledge to carry out this dastardly deed now.
Further more, with this being an "open forum" I wonder how many unscrupulous individuals have had the "lets steal a wind out awning"seed planted!?!?!?
There's nothing new in this thread.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Now theres a challenge ..
Whats your address?

P.s my omnistore awning is exactly like that and i removed it and replaced it in under 10 minutes back in the summer
I will take a photo next time I am over the storage, the only thing underneath is the LED strip light. Fixing bolts are inside the cassette itself, and the awning is 240 volt as it needs the inverter to operate. Fix C in the manual

Last edited:

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
No indeed apart from the initial idea in the first place.
I am sure theft of parts has been going on since motohomes were invented. Its is just we get to hear about them more often now. Bike racks are another one that are just bolted on.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Omnistore awning looks nothing like that. Suggest you come and try and steal mine
Now theres a challenge ..
Whats your address
I will take a photo next time I am over the storage
It may be a little different but they are all fitted much the same way ....brackets bolted to the van then the awning casing hooked on and secured with a few screws. It would be a nightmare to fit otherwise.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I am sure theft of parts has been going on since motohomes were invented. Its is just we get to hear about them more often now. Bike racks are another one that are just bolted on.

Got that covered.......I’ve got an extension cable from my alarm system. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back