WIND OUT AWNING STOLEN (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Just had my Fiamma 45S awning stolen off my Hobby 600 MH, think it was targeted as there is no damage to MH, so looking for another, no rush due to present circs, 2-6 or 2-9 used one if possible, priced a new 2-6 and best I found was £450, any info on cheaper would be great

OP
OP
TONCAZ
Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
How did they remove it without damage.
All mine have been bolted through the wall with large spreader plates on the inside.
Only way that's coming off is ripped off or unbolted from inside.
Hiya
Brackets are still there, just the awning gone, looks like they unwound it and then removed the three bolts that are on the plates then just unhooked it off

Deleted User
Bad luck and hope you find a replacement.
If ours were to be stolen I probably wouldn't replace it, we only use it to keep the fridge shaded.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Sorry to read your news TONCAZ its amazing how blatant some people can be, I assume they needed daylight to nick it, and it would have taken some time to get it away, even two sets of step ladders I guess.

What's also come to light to us anyway is that we paid I think £1100 to have a 4.5mtr Omnistore awning fitted to our new van before handover, as we thought it would be essential, even thought about buying the end panels etc.

Well in 3 years of ownership we have only wound it out 3 times, and that was on week long dryish rallies, I never thought of using it as a rain break as some do, as I was scared that rolling it back in damp would cause mould.

We tend to tour and only stop briefly overnight, or in winter its too wet & windy to consider using it.
Having seen now that most people use a pop up tent thingy, I think that is the way forward for most including us.
Ah well, live & learn eh?
Not having it would have saved us 55/65 kilo's on payload and £1100 quid we wont get back when we sell.
Best wishes, hope you get a cheap replacement soon.
LES

OP
OP
TONCAZ
Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Sorry to read your news TONCAZ its amazing how blatant some people can be, I assume they needed daylight to nick it, and it would have taken some time to get it away, even two sets of step ladders I guess.

What's also come to light to us anyway is that we paid I think £1100 to have a 4.5mtr Omnistore awning fitted to our new van before handover, as we thought it would be essential, even thought about buying the end panels etc.

Well in 3 years of ownership we have only wound it out 3 times, and that was on week long dryish rallies, I never thought of using it as a rain break as some do, as I was scared that rolling it back in damp would cause mould.

We tend to tour and only stop briefly overnight, or in winter its too wet & windy to consider using it.
Having seen now that most people use a pop up tent thingy, I think that is the way forward for most including us.
Ah well, live & learn eh?
Not having it would have saved us 55/65 kilo's on payload and £1100 quid we wont get back when we sell.
Best wishes, hope you get a cheap replacement soon.
LES
Cheers, we used ours quite a lot, but may install strip now and we would have more options.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
When I priced a windout awning those blocks were £90 each:xeek:.

Them not taking them too saved you £270 maybe(y) Take 'em off before the thieving swine come back for 'em:xdoh:

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
The worst part about this sort of theft is that it was probably another motorhomer that stole it to put on their van
Not necessarily. More work vans have them now to provide some shelter over the open door area.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Got me thinking now, is there a locking mechanism to stop someone winding it out? 🤷‍♂️

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Got me thinking now, is there a locking mechanism to stop someone winding it out? 🤷‍♂️
Drill the nuts and bolts and put split pins through,,not foolproof but an inconvenience.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Reminds me of the time we had new blue curtains fitted on the body of one if our 7.5 tonnes.Some git climbed
in the yard over the weekend and cut one curtain completely out of the body just leaving a strip at the top with the hangers on and the tension straps at the bottom..Police reckon it was stolen to line a garden pond,,Bastards.BUSBY.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I usually buy awnings from jeff bowen awnings.
Based in Tenby, He posts them out using Tuffnells Courier Service.
All prices on His website.
Thule
Fiamma
etc

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
They must have got inside it as the bolts are there.
As it has been so long now since last use have you looked on the other side of it, just to be sure, as the memory fades over time:LOL:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
They must have got inside it as the bolts are there.
As it has been so long now since last use have you looked on the other side of it, just to be sure, as the memory fades over time:LOL:

only the brackets are fixed through to inside of the vehicle, the actual wind out fits into an upper channel on the bracket and is then fixed through the bottom of the awning casing into the bottom of the bracket. all external to the motorhome.

and really easy to remove unless you have considered it being nicked and taken preventative fixings

which i have not but reading this will look at ASAP...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
only the brackets are fixed through to inside of the vehicle, the actual wind out fits into an upper channel on the bracket and is then fixed through the bottom of the awning casing into the bottom of the bracket. all external to the motorhome.

and really easy to remove unless you have considered it being nicked and taken preventative fixings

which i have not but reading this will look at ASAP...
Could use shear bolts as used on steering Column lock/ignition switches.
Once on and sheared they have to be drilled out.

OP
OP
TONCAZ
Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
I usually buy awnings from jeff bowen awnings.
Based in Tenby, He posts them out using Tuffnells Courier Service.
All prices on His website.
Thule
Fiamma
etc
Nice one, thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries