Tea break

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
It’s not just Motorhomers dumping shite just take a look at our lay-byes and you find crap and rubbish from all around Europe nobody gives a shit anymore and it makes me sick what has happened to the values of the past

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It’s not just Motorhomers dumping shite just take a look at our lay-byes and you find crap and rubbish from all around Europe nobody gives a shit anymore and it makes me sick what has happened to the values of the past

Unfortunately, there are 2 side to that issue, One is the undoubted ability of people of all creeds and colours to deposit "waste" product on the road side. Then there is the inescapable daily Fact of life for any Truck Driver. The closure of so many facilities over the last few years, the restriction(s) which go with modern "Driver Hours", means that many are forced into situations which they may not like but have little control over. I am amongst many over the years who have been faced with the "Bin Bag", SAS style, as the only option. Once "Business" is concluded, the options for disposal are as limited. Bins in Service Area`s, or lay-bys?. Take it home? (yes I have done that too). I will say though that actually leaving it raw in the roadside is NOT acceptable under any circumstance. At least bag it and bin it, as would any responsible dog owner.

Tea break

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Yes I quite agree with you I have been driving trucks for over 30 years and have seen a steady decline in the facilities for us truckers but there is still no excuse for the amount of rubbish thrown from cabs when most lay-bys have bins. it’s just a couldn’t give a shit attitude which seems to be the norm these days

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 15, 2018
Poynton, East Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Last July, on my return from the NC500, I decided to stop overnight in a picnic area in Northumberland despite an entrance sign stating No Overnight Parking. Nobody else was there. In the morning the Ranger arrived and asked if I’d stayed overnight to which I said yes and admitted reading the sign. He then started to admonish me until I showed him a plastic bag full of litter that I’d picked up the previous evening. His harangue stopped and a grin appeared as he said, “Thanks, you’ve helped me so I’m happy for you to overnight here any time you wish, provided you park behind the trees where you can’t be seen from the road.” We shared a fresh brew of tea and parted as friends.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We always pick up around where we park and if no bin we take it away with us and bin it at first opportunity
When in franc we have seen duch German and every other nation dump both black and grey in diches rivers canals over the years
bill

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Wow with the amount of people on this thread that are going aroung bagging up others peoples litter I'm surprised there's a problem at all.

Just saying ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On our last trip to France Spain and Portugal we stayed in aires or wilded, some car parks next to the beach etc but no campsites out of choice (not financial). Some places were lovely and clean, others were awful - 2 lakes were atrocious from the day visitors who'd been there, rubbish everywhere, loads of dirty tissues, carriers, cans, bottles ... it was a mess. I spent about half an hour clearing up where we parked ... there was no excuse for it other than sheer laziness as there were plenty of bins to put the rubbish in.

When we stop I usually removed any rubbish in our immediate vicinity, not because we didn't want to be 'blamed' but mainly we didn't want our dogs to go snuffling in it. Most places were fine but on occasions in places popular with the locals or day visitors they were treated with total contempt, in a couple of instances we didn't stay due to the mess left behind at what was a beautiful spot.

Tipping anything anywhere is bad, but at these leisure sites it was just total stupidity as they obviously couldn't see that they were polluting it for themselves when they next came to use it!

Worst place we found for this was Italy ... it was everywhere, even along the roads leading to these places for mile after mile.

Jul 29, 2017
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 530 Flash
Exp
Camping Caravanning and Motorhoming for 40yrs, last 2 Motorhoming
You can’t single out any one nationality as being the culprits for litter dumping, we are as bad, I went to our local park yesterday and stepped on a used johnny as I got out of the car. After tiptoeing round the dog shit I noticed dozens of empty plastic drinks bottles strewn across the edge of the football fields, left by the herd of screaming dads earlier. People in glass houses eh!!!

TrebleH

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto, Iveco
No, for those of us that take the trouble to look into it properly, it goes where it should to the sewage works, we have not been anywhere where we could not identify the sewage manholes!!!We certainly do have some riffraff!!

Deleted User
sewage manholes!!!

Those 'manholes' are correctly named inspection chambers and they are there for the purposes of 'men' to inspect and sometimes descend into using step rings in the side often decorated with **** because some use them incorrectly as disposal points.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You can’t single out any one nationality as being the culprits for litter dumping, we are as bad, I went to our local park yesterday and stepped on a used johnny as I got out of the car. After tiptoeing round the dog shit I noticed dozens of empty plastic drinks bottles strewn across the edge of the football fields, left by the herd of screaming dads earlier. People in glass houses eh!!!
I agree there's rubbish dropped everywhere.
BUT

As someone who's wildcamped around Scotland over 25 years I can tell you I have never seen litter like I saw in Spain and Portugal last year.

And like @Minxy Girl stated above it's mostly caused by day visitors to the beaches etc with no facilities peeing and crapping in the bushes and leaving toilet paper and wipes etc lying everywhere.

I also can't believe the rubbish I've witnessed being thrown from cars bottles and food packaging just thrown out the windows even in towns at traffic lights etc.
Maybe in England you see this too but I rarely see anyone throwing rubbish on the streets in Scotland

Cigarette butts are a different story.

estresao

Free Member
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
Please, don't waste your grey or black water in manholes or sewer when in Spain, they are for workers get inside for mainetance and collect rain water, so no filtering are done on them.

There are a separate sewer system which is filtered and is the one you should use (houses WC, sewer in camp sites, etc...)

Also remember is forbiden spill ANY liquid from vehicles to the ground or anywhere is not an appropiate place.

You can be fined .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Please, don't waste your grey or black water in manholes or sewer when in Spain, they are for workers get inside for mainetance and collect rain water, so no filtering are done on them.

There are a separate sewer system which is filtered and is the one you should use (houses WC, sewer in camp sites, etc...)

Also remember is forbiden spill ANY liquid from vehicles to the ground or anywhere is not an appropiate place.

You can be fined .
It's quite funny that as it seems to be the Spanish motorhomes that never close their grey water tap , there was a family next to me in a old 1980's motorhome the other day and water pouring out the spout all the time. I think they all had a shower with waste tap open.
Noticed it last year at few places too

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

You can be fined .
That explains the prat we met last year in Spain! Our dog Romy has a weak bladder (she's nearly 16) and has been on medication to control it for a few years which works well, however whilst away she started wanting to go out for wee a lot more*, often as soon as she woke up but sometimes just couldn't make it to the camper door before she needed to let it go ... having removable and washable rugs meant the problem was manageable most of the time but obviously it wasn't always easy however the 'internal water features' weren't frequent!

One day we made a visit to a MH service point (not within the MH parking area itself) however as our grey waste tank was pretty empty all we needed was fresh water so we didn't bother reversing over the drain area which was awkward as it was a badly designed one so we just parked off the road on the ramp next to it (not causing an obstruction as there was fencing at the back).

Whilst we were getting out 'whoosh' ... Romy did her waterworks inside by the sliding door! Hubby quickly opened the door and dragged the rug out but of course the large puddle of wee spilt on the ramp. After taking the rug to the tap and rinsing it, leaving it to drip, we filled up the water using containers rather than a hose and also flushed away the wee that had spilt on the ramp ... queue a bloke on a scooter riding past ... he turned round, came back and gave us hell about it, we tried our best to explain what we were doing but he was insistent that we had dumped our grey waste ... we even took Romy out and tried to show him in mime what had happened along with the wet rug, but nope, he just wanted to have a go! Next thing we know he's taking photos and rode off! By this time we'd finished anyway so retrieved the rug, stuck it in a black bin-bag and went round the corner to the supermarket for some bread for lunch. Just after we'd parked and were about to get out a police car drove in, stopped about 10ft away from our camper for 20 seconds then drove off ... so the prat had obviously called them to come and 'do' us.

I can understand him being unhappy if we HAD dumped our grey waste but we hadn't and he just would not listen ... he understood what we were trying to tell him as he had some English but just refused to believe us.

* Once home we found out that Romy has Cushings disease which was causing the need to urinate more often, fortunately her meds are pretty much keeping this under control now ... long may it continue.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Well there must have been a great change in attitude in Spain since 2006. Because we used to regularly see vehicles with Spanish, French, German, Belgian -------Plates dumping "liquids" along the roads, and not all where Motorhomes. Leaking fish residue was one I saw, the smell gave it away!. Then of course there is/was the Livestock trucks, took an age to get the C**p of the R-V once, when we where overtaken on the Autopista!. And Don`t mention Horses!. They regularly leave "residue" behind, If that was my dog I`d be fined! (mind it IS good for the roses!)

Mike and Ann

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2018
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class - Rapido
Exp
We've visited Scotland a number of times and for the first time, today, we had the opportunity for a photo shoot on Rannoch Moor. What a disappointment to see all detritus left by others, though not necessarily motorhomers. As can be seen in the photo, there is a full-sized barbeque as well as babies nappies, beer cans, take-away cartons and all the usual stuff.

In some way I wished that we hadn't stopped as my future experiences driving across this rugged landscape will be forever marred.

Attachments

• Rannoch Moor Flytip.png
    Rannoch Moor Flytip.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've visited Scotland a number of times and for the first time, today, we had the opportunity for a photo shoot on Rannoch Moor. What a disappointment to see all detritus left by others, though not necessarily motorhomers. As can be seen in the photo, there is a full-sized barbeque as well as babies nappies, beer cans, take-away cartons and all the usual stuff.

In some way I wished that we hadn't stopped as my future experiences driving across this rugged landscape will be forever marred.

That's disgusting. Whatever is happening to the human race? Parts of it, at least.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've just been reading one of the Shetland forum sites and it seems that this lot was dumped on Wednesday by a campervan on Unst.

The camper had been there for a few days and then upped and left leaving pots, pans and even a toilet behind.

The rubbish was scattered everywhere and the islanders have subsequently collected it and bagged it up (shot below).

Not good!!

20190615_212018.jpg

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've just been reading one of the Shetland forum sites and it seems that this lot was dumped on Wednesday by a campervan on Unst.

The camper had been there for a few days and then upped and left leaving pots, pans and even a toilet behind.

The rubbish was scattered everywhere and the islanders have subsequently collected it and bagged it up (shot below).

Not good!!

View attachment 310843

Jesus, what kinda mess do you need to make in the toilet before you think 'feck this, I'm just going to throw the whole thing out!'?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Not good!!

View attachment 310843
And that is one of the problems.. Willing to bet it was not a motorhome, but to the uninitiated all vans are the same !

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Well as Rudyard Kipling via Disney, would have it, there are times when "bear necessities" cannot be avoided. :D

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Taken from a Spanish motorhome Facebook site.

I Google translated, cos I couldn't be bothered to type it all out, and it tells the story perfectly. Some people don't believe this happens. I know it does, and this photo proves it.

"Because of the riffraff like this, the prohibition discs are planted ... Yesterday at noon, on the beaches of Elche, next to the hermitage of Santa Pola, I could do this a few meters ... Evidently I told him everything except "bonico" and stopped doing it. The motorhome was Dutch, and as my Dutchman is rather null, another group of Dutch caravans that were close to see me discussing joined and, this time in Dutch, they threw the octopus ... So much that it did not come back in all the afternoon ... Apart from this, vehicles with extended awnings, chocks, barbecues ..
In short, this is the despicable attitude that causes Elche to be posing permissiveness with us. Even I think about it ... Then we complain and how we always pay fair for sinners."

View attachment 282995
I've seen this in Benidorm a lot. Freeloaders park near the outdoor market and tip there toilets in the nearby park. Pigs is a mild term for them.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Taken from a Spanish motorhome Facebook site.

I Google translated, cos I couldn't be bothered to type it all out, and it tells the story perfectly. Some people don't believe this happens. I know it does, and this photo proves it.

"Because of the riffraff like this, the prohibition discs are planted ... Yesterday at noon, on the beaches of Elche, next to the hermitage of Santa Pola, I could do this a few meters ... Evidently I told him everything except "bonico" and stopped doing it. The motorhome was Dutch, and as my Dutchman is rather null, another group of Dutch caravans that were close to see me discussing joined and, this time in Dutch, they threw the octopus ... So much that it did not come back in all the afternoon ... Apart from this, vehicles with extended awnings, chocks, barbecues ..
In short, this is the despicable attitude that causes Elche to be posing permissiveness with us. Even I think about it ... Then we complain and how we always pay fair for sinners."

View attachment 282995

No photo to prove anything

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
I'm buggered if I can find a picture of this bloke dumping crap on a beach?? has it Been removed?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
And that is one of the problems.. Willing to bet it was not a motorhome, but to the uninitiated all vans are the same !

You could be right and in all honesty I was thinking the same but, that being said, we all know what happens when these small communities get peeved off; restrictions get imposed and barriers get erected.

The few will always spoil it for the majority.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
A couple of weks ago we were on the Speech House road car park in the Forest of Dean,a couple pulled up in a Transit van and pitched a tent!
Obviously no facilities as they kept disappearing into the woods...just at the time our dog needed to go out which kept them on their toes :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back