Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
We did not have much of a rubbish problem 20 odd years ago because there was very little packaging..I despair where all our rubbish appears from ..we don't buy processed food but still seem to generate a mountain of waste every day,,BUSBY:(:(

I entirely agree with you, BUT, one of the biggest issues is over "Fresh" fruit and veg. Tests done some years ago found Faecal bacteria on much of the produce on Supermarket displays. It was determined that it would be as result of the Shoppers NOT washing after using the "Facilities". I have seen guys pee in Tesco and go straight out without hand-washing and their Kids do the same. SWMBO get very uptight over the "wags" who play with their hair and makeup but NEVER wash their hands in the Ladies, nor do their kids!. But they all go out and give the Fruit and Veg a good "feel". That is the reason many Shops will give for NOT reducing packaging, the FEAR of being slated and Sued as the source of a Food Poisoning outbreak.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I entirely agree with you, BUT, one of the biggest issues is over "Fresh" fruit and veg. Tests done some years ago found Faecal bacteria on much of the produce on Supermarket displays. It was determined that it would be as result of the Shoppers NOT washing after using the "Facilities". I have seen guys pee in Tesco and go straight out without hand-washing and their Kids do the same. SWMBO get very uptight over the "wags" who play with their hair and makeup but NEVER wash their hands in the Ladies, nor do their kids!. But they all go out and give the Fruit and Veg a good "feel". That is the reason many Shops will give for NOT reducing packaging, the FEAR of being slated and Sued as the source of a Food Poisoning outbreak.
I'm very rarely sick and I think it's down to the fact I'm not obsessed with washing my hands etc.

My sister as a nurse washes here around 20 times a day and always has colds etc

I think since everyone went overboard with steralising everything and hiding from germs more folk get sick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The issue with that is, very few unlicensed fly tippers, who I admit are a menace in themselves, will take all and everything and they too want paying!. Most of the fly tipping is done by squadrons of the "Great British Unwashed". The same omeba who chuck shitty nappies out of cars!. The L-A`s being prepared to take more in the collection would make a dent in THAT type of fly tipping, and stopping charging would be a first step in reducing the other as then the "unlicensed" mob would 1) have no excuse!, and 2) No (real) reason for existence.

Remember, as in all "Crime" you cannot sanction unless you can catch them. The police have far better things to do. Why not encourage the public to come to the correct places in the first place, and save the millions on clearing up after the event!.

But then that logic is to simple for the mindsets of most L-A Managers and Bureaucrats!.
Having been involved at first hand with measures to combat fly tipping I can confidently say that, in general, you haven't the benefit of having seen the whole picture and, specifically, your final statement is total "round objects" :)

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We did not have much of a rubbish problem 20 odd years ago because there was very little packaging..I despair where all our rubbish appears from ..we don't buy processed food but still seem to generate a mountain of waste every day,,BUSBY:(:(
When we shop at supermarkets- we leave all the packaging with them at the area just behind the tills or in the wire wheelie basket when we have taken it to the car

You know if EVERYONE did that, they would very soon catch on
( Bought a Coconut before Christmas from Sainsbury's which came in a plastic bag-- give me a break)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I'm very rarely sick and I think it's down to the fact I'm not obsessed with washing my hands etc.

I think since everyone went overboard with steralising everything and hiding from germs more folk get sick

Your sister sounds overworked and run down, poor thing.

I can recommend handwashing and also using hand gel when out shopping, to keep the bugs at bay. Touch wood, I haven't caught a cold for getting on for 2 years. I was also looking after the Duxette when she had the proper Flu before Christmas. I avoided catching that from her, so these precautions do work at least for me.

As does being a hermit. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Your sister sounds overworked and run down, poor thing.

I can recommend handwashing and also using hand gel when out shopping, to keep the bugs at bay. Touch wood, I haven't caught a cold for getting on for 2 years. I was also looking after the Duxette when she had the proper Flu before Christmas. I avoided catching that from her, so these precautions do work at least for me.

As does being a hermit.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

You live in a cave on one mountain and she lives in another on a different one?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Yes but it does not change the perception by the supermarkets, and why they are reluctant to avoid any chance of being "sued" in today's Litigious atmosphere.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Having been involved at first hand with measures to combat fly tipping I can confidently say that, in general, you haven't the benefit of having seen the whole picture and, specifically, your final statement is total "round objects" :)

"Round objects" or not. Give me a better way of dealing with It?.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
When we shop at supermarkets- we leave all the packaging with them at the area just behind the tills or in the wire wheelie basket when we have taken it to the car

You know if EVERYONE did that, they would very soon catch on
( Bought a Coconut before Christmas from Sainsbury's which came in a plastic bag-- give me a break)

When I was with the missus we used to grow all our own veg and give away any excess to friends and neighbours. We took a bag of veg over the road to some neighbours, and their little girl said, "mummy, why hasn't that cucumber got any plastic on it"?. Little mite didn't know any different.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Perhaps, before just assuming what the relative costs are just because it suits your argument, you might actually establish the facts.
That reply sounds very much like a politicians answer to me?. Ie; Question the question, dont supply a viable answer.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Usual excuse I see.
never mind graham you have tried your best over the years .
some never try at all.
at times i dare say you wonder if you have been wasting your effort.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I bought a silicone phone cover for my mobile from Tesco. It came in FOUR plastic wrappers/boxes.
I returned to Tesco CEO at head office with a letter of complaint, I got a two line letter back.

May 31, 2011
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
re-living the gloryb days of series 2 BC
Looking like this thread has got lost - so when did any of us go for a walk and take the cassette for company - even without a pooch for company taking a cassette is an unlikely choice - we all really know that there is far too much NIMBY going on...…
Sorry all but we do really need to accept the way some (too many) think about the right of others to enjoy their own surrounds

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I bought a silicone phone cover for my mobile from Tesco. It came in FOUR plastic wrappers/boxes.
I returned to Tesco CEO at head office with a letter of complaint, I got a two line letter back.

Ooh, can we play 'Charades'? I'll start:

First line - one word, four letters, begins with 'F'

Second line - one word, three letters, begins with 'O'

Am I close?:)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Usual excuse I see.

Ok so the "Experts" have, in their "wisdom", decided that fly tipping is "curable" by the use of Fee`s and heavy fines?. And of course, its`s working, SO why then is Fly tipping on the increase in the East Riding?. Like always the typical reaction of Bureaucracy is to sanction everybody BUT the perpetrator!.

And would you believe, a local got a slapped wrist from the L-A. His "crime" was to send a photograph of fly tipping taking place, the reason given "breach of privacy", he was apparently breaching the perpetrators "uman rites" by not informing him he was taking the photograph!.

We have the "Bin police" who regularly affix notes to the bin`s saying you cannot put "x" item in such and such a bin. Yet the same authority cannot tell us exactly what goes in each bin, it changes more often than the weather!.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ok so the "Experts" have, in their "wisdom", decided that fly tipping is "curable" by the use of Fee`s and heavy fines?. And of course, its`s working, SO why then is Fly tipping on the increase in the East Riding?. Like always the typical reaction of Bureaucracy is to sanction everybody BUT the perpetrator!.

And would you believe, a local got a slapped wrist from the L-A. His "crime" was to send a photograph of fly tipping taking place, the reason given "breach of privacy", he was apparently breaching the perpetrators "uman rites" by not informing him he was taking the photograph!.

We have the "Bin police" who regularly affix notes to the bin`s saying you cannot put "x" item in such and such a bin. Yet the same authority cannot tell us exactly what goes in each bin, it changes more often than the weather!.
Usual blame those trying to do something rather than those doing the wrong.
For a start it isn't local authorities that determine what can be recycled but the private sector contractors they are forced to use, whose sole aim is to make money.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Usual blame those trying to do something rather than those doing the wrong.
For a start it isn't local authorities that determine what can be recycled but the private sector contractors they are forced to use, whose sole aim is to make money.

The so called "private contractors" in such a case then have not been given the correct brief!. "private" will always only do what the contract demands, which (as you say) is how they make money. The contractor does not set his own brief, some "committee" of bureaucrats will have done that, which is then Rubber Stamped, by the Elected oversight committee who act on recommendation. If it is wrong or inadequate that is not the contractors fault.

Please note that I am not trying to excuse those "doing wrong", however IMV and from experience of being on the receiving end, the vast majority of bureaucrats are "failing" in their service to the public they (allegedly) serve.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The so called "private contractors" in such a case then have not been given the correct brief!. "private" will always only do what the contract demands, which (as you say) is how they make money. The contractor does not set his own brief, some "committee" of bureaucrats will have done that, which is then Rubber Stamped, by the Elected oversight committee who act on recommendation. If it is wrong or inadequate that is not the contractors fault.

Please note that I am not trying to excuse those "doing wrong", however IMV and from experience of being on the receiving end, the vast majority of bureaucrats are "failing" in their service to the public they (allegedly) serve.
Which completes the circle to post #124, with the addition "QED".

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On a recent trip to Germany we saw little or no litter and where along our carriageways it is everywhere in Germany we saw none .
It’s probably a mindset for some in the U.K. to chuck it out of the window whereas over there it’s not.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
This is an innocent act of emptying his toilet container into a second storage container, it is a common practice to do just behind your van as this chap is doing.

Why else would he have the second container with him, the container has a large cap to allow transfer without spillage.

With the second container being behind the grass it would appear from a distance that the toilet was being emptied onto the ground.

This is just another example of one Fur Lined Thong, feeling superior to other Fur Lined Thongs. It would appear that the picture was taken from behind a curtain some distance away, rather than going over to see what the Dutch chap was doing.
None so strange as folk......:rolleyes:

Spot on! There is no evidence he was emptying anything onto or into the ground. What we can see is that he is close to a Motorhome, perhaps his own, the cassette emptying cap is off and another large container is nearby. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to assume he might be emptying the cassette into the larger container which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

The garbled “translation” makes little sense and we don’t know if the person reporting speaks Dutch, it may well be the other Dutch people who turned up told the reporting person he was emptying into the larger container and to F off and mind his own business, but we don’t know that.

What we do know is that there is only one inconclusive photograph. If the reporting person had provided several, as could easily have been done, it would have been much more helpful. Especially as the Dutch “Suspect” appears to have gone out or “thrown the octopus” whatever that means, a photo of the area around the bush might have helped to prove the matter one way or the other.

As it is there is one photo that proves little if anything other that what I said above, a garbled translation which proves nothing and does not include the phrase, “ I saw him doing it” but have some indication the author was just looking for something to moan about anyway, hence the reference to awnings and barbecues.

In my experience I have found Dutch people very friendly decent people who love motorhoming and I have never seen anything like this. Of course I do t claim it has never happened and of course if it has it could be any nationality including Brits.

As for some on this long thread who vilify the Dutch in general on the basis of what can only be described as mere suspicion without evidence should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves and I suggest they stay well clear of Holland and the Dutch in general who do not deserve such condemnation.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
It would help things if threads had theme tunes. If the picture had been accompanied by a heavy "dah dah daaaah" tune, we would all have been certain he was guilty, conversely, a light hearted Disney type "work-a-day" tune with, perhaps the guy whistling, then we could all rest easy knowing he was decanting into the blue container before popping back to his van, where his wife would have a blueberry pie cooling on the Hymer's window ledge. So how about it Jim and Grommet, could we have theme tunes ? :)

Mar 11, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It’s not just the Dutch. I had a conversation with an English couple who were very keen to boast how they never pay for a campsite and never pay to empty their cassette. Instead they place a carrier bag inside their loo to collect solids and then dump it in street bins.....imagine that on a hot day! I doubt they’d like it outside their house!!
In Morocco king Mohammed was so fed up with hundreds of french vans lining up along the coast and dumping their cassettes on the beach that he banned the lot of them, built some large campsites and insists they use them. It’ll go the same way in Spain if people of all nations don’t act more responsibly.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It’s not just the Dutch. I had a conversation with an English couple who were very keen to boast how they never pay for a campsite and never pay to empty their cassette. Instead they place a carrier bag inside their loo to collect solids and then dump it in street bins.....imagine that on a hot day! I doubt they’d like it outside their house!!
In Morocco king Mohammed was so fed up with hundreds of french vans lining up along the coast and dumping their cassettes on the beach that he banned the lot of them, built some large campsites and insists they use them. It’ll go the same way in Spain if people of all nations don’t act more responsibly.
What did you say to Wayne & Wanyetta Slob about thier habit?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back