Wild campers or "riffraff" (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So if one uses a campsite or Aire disposal point where does the sewage go then?
It is probably a septic tank.Basically a soakaway.

Although Spain is full of bins and folk Still throw their rubbish on the ground etc
reminds me of doing some online spanish car theory tests. question
" " What can you NOT throw out of a vehicle window?"
"nothing" wasn't one of the 3 choices:rofl:

in the certain knowledge that there is nothing stopping people taking their rubbish with them.
apart from those who have no home to go to?
I.e ,the tourists.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I dont know for sure, but I would not be surprised at all, if the vast majority of sewerage in Coastal Spain did not end up in the Med RAW. I cannot remember seeing very many sewage Plants on my travels back in the 90`s and naughties.

Yes. And Gibraltar pours all of theirs out untreated at Europa Point.

http://chronicle.gi/2019/02/plans-filed-waste-water-treatment-plant/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
My answer is to run away to the (mostly) sun drenched hills of Central Portugal and try as much as possible to keep away from all the horridness produced by the modern world.
JJ :cool:
Yep, that will cure it:cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Eire is a nightmare for getting rid of rubbish though as everybody takes it home with them and has it taken from their own bins.
Many years ago, think it was one of our first foreign holidays, we stayed on a campsite in Holland for the night, it was very quiet with possibly just us and a couple of other camping units there ... we spent ages looking round the site to find bins, but couldn't, in the end we asked the site owner and were told to take it home which is what they all do ... when we pointed out that we were on a 2 week holiday she relented and took it off us but wasn't happy!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
apart from those who have no home to go to?
I.e ,the tourists.
Tourists might not find it convenient to save everything until they get back to their permanent home but it isn't the case that they have "no home". We have been on a few (short) rallies where there are no arrangements for disposal of the contents of the bin but otherwise there has always been waste disposal at the next site we stop at.
Before anyone says something like "wild campers don't stay on sites" that does not relieve them of the responsibility to find somewhere proper to dispose of their waste - that's find somewhere rather than expect it served up on a plate for them.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It might help - though your next line does introduce an element of doubt :) - but provision of bins carries with it the cost of somebody to empty them and dispose of the contents, in the certain knowledge that there is nothing stopping people taking their rubbish with them.
I agree it does cost money.

But then so does the massive clean up operations that need done every so often cause of the rubbish. Not to mention the environmental cost , the harm to wildlife both on land and see etc.
We already pay so much tax etc in the UK on everything

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

But then so does the massive clean up operations that need done every so often cause of the rubbish. Not to mention the environmental cost , the harm to wildlife both on land and see etc.

One of the issues, often stated, in the UK. Is the current tendency for L-A`s to make a Charge for removing trash. Our L-A charges £10 JUST to remove (say) an old mattress, THAT is why so many finish up in farm gateways!. Then the L-A complains Bitterley that they have had to send out expensive vehicles and operatives to clear up the "fly tipping". And on the back of that, some poor unsuspecting person ends up with a BILL for crap not of their making!.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Tourists might not find it convenient to save everything until they get back to their permanent home but it isn't the case that they have "no home". We have been on a few (short) rallies where there are no arrangements for disposal of the contents of the bin but otherwise there has always been waste disposal at the next site we stop at.
Before anyone says something like "wild campers don't stay on sites" that does not relieve them of the responsibility to find somewhere proper to dispose of their waste - that's find somewhere rather than expect it served up on a plate for them.
But as we have had on other threads what do the lorry drivers , away for weeks on end do? They've no where to take it back to. As others have said it is a very shortsighted policy when they are then forced to send out clear up teams.
If they enforced decent fines in the 10's of 000's ,like they can , for fly tipping it wouldn't happen. As applies to other things it is no good having "deterrents" if occasionally you don't use them to deter people.

Anyway to the OP. they are Riff-Raff ** No slight on the pets of @Badknee is intended:D2

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Many years ago, think it was one of our first foreign holidays, we stayed on a campsite in Holland for the night, it was very quiet with possibly just us and a couple of other camping units there ... we spent ages looking round the site to find bins, but couldn't, in the end we asked the site owner and were told to take it home which is what they all do ... when we pointed out that we were on a 2 week holiday she relented and took it off us but wasn't happy!

One would think that regulations in any country governing the operation of a campsite would include the provision of adequate rubbish bins and the cost of emptying them, which we just be like any other cost of operating a business,

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One would think that regulations in any country governing the operation of a campsite would include the provision of adequate rubbish bins and the cost of emptying them, which we just be like any other cost of operating a business,

Geoff
It was a long time ago and I suspect they had a blanket policy so they avoided having to pay the cost of waste removal, thus everyone had to take their own stuff home ... this was in the days before the advent of recycling facilities etc. Of course it could also have been that they were too mean to provide bins and someone to empty them!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It was a long time ago and I suspect they had a blanket policy so they avoided having to pay the cost of waste removal, thus everyone had to take their own stuff home ... this was in the days before the advent of recycling facilities etc. Of course it could also have been that they were too mean to provide bins and someone to empty them!
That's the only reason my French vocabulary extends to bonjour olavou ( however it's spelt ) and ousson la pubelle ...where are the dustbins because I could never find one lol

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

But that doesn't mean we should just accept having to pay for the dirty habits of some. We need to find a way of educating them or making them pay.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But as we have had on other threads what do the lorry drivers , away for weeks on end do? They've no where to take it back to. As others have said it is a very shortsighted policy when they are then forced to send out clear up teams.
If they enforced decent fines in the 10's of 000's ,like they can , for fly tipping it wouldn't happen. As applies to other things it is no good having "deterrents" if occasionally you don't use them to deter people.

Anyway to the OP. they are Riff-Raff ** No slight on the pets of @Badknee is intended:D2
Lorry drivers unload at places which have bins don't they?
I agree that proper deterrents that recover costs from those who refuse to be educated are needed.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One of the issues, often stated, in the UK. Is the current tendency for L-A`s to make a Charge for removing trash. Our L-A charges £10 JUST to remove (say) an old mattress, THAT is why so many finish up in farm gateways!. Then the L-A complains Bitterley that they have had to send out expensive vehicles and operatives to clear up the "fly tipping". And on the back of that, some poor unsuspecting person ends up with a BILL for crap not of their making!.
Often stated by those who don't like to pay for disposal of the refuse they create in my experience.
In this area most fly tipping appears to be by cowboys who householders pay to take rubbish away but haven't got a licence for doing it. If householders ensured that they only used licensed carriers it would cut out most of it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
But that doesn't mean we should just accept having to pay for the dirty habits of some. We need to find a way of educating them or making them pay.
Yeah like we manage to educate people not to rape, steal or murder etc

It works on most but not everyone ....meanwhile the countryside gets covered in litter

Personally I'd just put the bins out

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp

Geoff

I use a campsite near Brighton that has no bins & you are required to take all & any rubbish away with you.Everyone does.Mind you it also has a no music/noise policy.:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I use a campsite near Brighton that has no bins & you are required to take all & any rubbish away with you.Everyone does.Mind you it also has a no music/noise policy.:)
... no good for funsters then! :D2

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yeah like we manage to educate people not to rape, steal or murder etc

It works on most but not everyone ....meanwhile the countryside gets covered in litter

Personally I'd just put the bins out
I suppose you're right. Too many people have the attitude that it is OK for them to do what they want and the rest of the country can go hang :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Often stated by those who don't like to pay for disposal of the refuse they create in my experience.
In this area most fly tipping appears to be by cowboys who householders pay to take rubbish away but haven't got a licence for doing it. If householders ensured that they only used licensed carriers it would cut out most of it.

The issue with that is, very few unlicensed fly tippers, who I admit are a menace in themselves, will take all and everything and they too want paying!. Most of the fly tipping is done by squadrons of the "Great British Unwashed". The same omeba who chuck shitty nappies out of cars!. The L-A`s being prepared to take more in the collection would make a dent in THAT type of fly tipping, and stopping charging would be a first step in reducing the other as then the "unlicensed" mob would 1) have no excuse!, and 2) No (real) reason for existence.

Remember, as in all "Crime" you cannot sanction unless you can catch them. The police have far better things to do. Why not encourage the public to come to the correct places in the first place, and save the millions on clearing up after the event!.

But then that logic is to simple for the mindsets of most L-A Managers and Bureaucrats!.

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I suppose you're right. Too many people have the attitude that it is OK for them to do what they want and the rest of the country can go hang :)
When did we start talking about the royal family and politicians

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Toungue in cheek;

Are FLT’S that are on the road and are not paying council tax not actually paying anyone to dispose of rubbish?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Toungue in cheek;

Are Fork Lift Truck’S that are on the road and are not paying council tax not actually paying anyone to dispose of rubbish?
This one has to pay council tax even when we are away for months on end and our house is empty. Been like that for several years now. Not a happy bunny !

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We did not have much of a rubbish problem 20 odd years ago because there was very little packaging..I despair where all our rubbish appears from ..we don't buy processed food but still seem to generate a mountain of waste every day,,BUSBY:(:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back