G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
So that is the future isn’t it..? Will you not change your destiny if you prevent certain visions from happening..?

OK folks, Just smiffy has asked the very best question possible!

You see for two years, they have been asking me to write a book.... I can not! for everyone writes books! And in the main those books are 'look how great I am'....
It is, yet it is not possible to change ones destiny! it is one of the things they wish me to write about, in order to help others understand life....

Life is an amazing game, which we all of us chose to take part in....... Everything is possible! As long as you play by the rules.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think the one 'sensible' bit of advice I can give is to stop listening to those in your dreams and think about how you will use it day to day in reality.

A large MH will take more time and energy to heat up, especially something with a large overcab bed like the 6 berth has also the double dinette lounge isn't gonna be that comfy and I suspect you won't want to make up the rear bed every night as it would be a right pain so you won't have a really comfy place to slob out except on the bed made-up bed itself. Its also likely to be quite heavy so you might not have much payload left and, even though you're not intending to take much with you from your home, you'll still need all the bits and bobs you'd use in it such as pots, pans, food etc, etc.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Only an observation but why are you looking at large motorhomes, would something smaller not be more practical/sensible in your situation.
I have read many times on this forum that Transit based vans are the easiest to break into.

I have no God damn idea why!
Why do you suggest I look at smaller? Do you know something that I do not?

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
I think the one 'sensible' bit of advice I can give is to stop listening to those in your dreams and think about how you will use it day to day in reality.

A large MH will take more time and energy to heat up, especially something with a large overcab bed like the 6 berth has also the double dinette lounge isn't gonna be that comfy and I suspect you won't want to make up the rear bed every night as it would be a right pain so you won't have a really comfy place to slob out except on the bed made-up bed itself. Its also likely to be quite heavy so you might not have much payload left and, even though you're not intending to take much with you from your home, you'll still need all the bits and bobs you'd use in it such as pots, pans, food etc, etc.

But how do you live your life? How do I live mine?
you are telling me what to do from your experience, I appreciate your honesty... But you are assuming I live my life like you.... I certainly can not possibly tell you what to do, for you are different in every respect from me....
And there is a point in life, you see we all of us wish to offer advice based on our own perspective.... Forgetting that the other person has an equally valid perspective.....
Sorry, I totally appreciate every thing you are saying. I genuinely have no idea what I am looking for..... But if I am to go out on this crazy venture..... Why not make sure I'm as comfortable as possible? thats my perspective.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Any good?

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Thank you so very much for that.... I need to think, for my reason for a fixed bed, is that I too have had an accident and am no longer as mobile as I would like...

I do not understand a lot of what I am seeing, to be honest.

I am extremely grateful.... I too can pay cash.
But I genuinely need to think about this..... I had a reason for a fixed double bed .....
That you have recommended it, it must be good.... Thank you... very much.
I need some time to think.... But I am extremely grateful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
But how do you live your life? How do I live mine?
you are telling me what to do from your experience, I appreciate your honesty... But you are assuming I live my life like you.... I certainly can not possibly tell you what to do, for you are different in every respect from me....
And there is a point in life, you see we all of us wish to offer advice based on our own perspective.... Forgetting that the other person has an equally valid perspective.....
Sorry, I totally appreciate every thing you are saying. I genuinely have no idea what I am looking for..... But if I am to go out on this crazy venture..... Why not make sure I'm as comfortable as possible? thats my perspective.
I certainly haven't forgotten that you have a valid perspective and am certainly not telling you what to do but advising which is what you have asked us to do based on our experience etc and that's what I, and others, are trying to give. There is a massive wealth of experience on here so do make use of it. :smiley:

I'm not saying don't make yourself comfortable but having had a double dinette MH myself in the past I know from experience that they are not the best to get comfy in. Having a large MH is nice at times but also a pain in the bum when you want to go shopping etc and can't find a large enough parking space ... been there, done that ... also the larger it is the more fuel it will generally use also the higher sided ones will be more affected by the wind and the effect of trucks passing, especially those with a large luton bed.

A long MH usually means it will have quite an overhanging 'bottom' which can 'wag' out when manoeuvring which is one of the reasons why we changed to a shorter one as it can become tiresome, we also like narrow bodied MHs which help with parking, driving etc on narrower roads with 2-way traffic.

The 'reality' I am referring to is to get you to think about it a bit more, so far we've identified the following:

Budget: £40,000ish
Driving Licence: you have a C1
Type of vehicle: probably a coachbuilt (ie with the cab front) or A-class (no cab bodywork)
Standard must have: fixed bed - one at the rear and another bed at the front end (not sure if it has to be a permanent one like a luton or drop-down though or if one made-up from the seating would suffice)
Retrofit must have: compost toilet - I have to admit I still don't understand your unwavering requirement for one and feel as if you are letting this one thing unduly influence and rule out MHs that may otherwise be as damn near perfect for what you want/need. We've never had an issue in our 24+ years of motorhoming - on our last holiday of 9 weeks we didn't use a site once and stayed in some places for quite a few days, plus of course there are 2 of us, so for you 2 cassettes would be more than sufficient ... you could even splash out (not literally!) and have 3!!! :giggle:

A few more things to think of which should help you narrow down your choice:
  • How you will actually use it, where you will take it? Will it be your only vehicle?
  • Will you be taking/acquiring any kit for hobbies such as canoeing, cycling etc and thus need somewhere to store it all?
  • Another consideration is the cost of ferries, toll roads etc, restrictions on where it will 'fit' or can be legally driven (ie some areas have 3500kg weight limits).
Going back to the toilet ... yes again! :smiley: There are some MHs that DO have a large toilet tank rather than a cassette and some that actually have both, but they are rare and would be fairly old I think (Laika may have done one?).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thank you so very much for that.... I need to think, for my reason for a fixed bed, is that I too have had an accident and am no longer as mobile as I would like...

I do not understand a lot of what I am seeing, to be honest.

I am extremely grateful.... I too can pay cash.
But I genuinely need to think about this..... I had a reason for a fixed double bed .....
That you have recommended it, it must be good.... Thank you... very much.
I need some time to think.... But I am extremely grateful.
We 'passed' like ships in the night ... I was posting whilst you were! :giggle:

We wouldn't be without fixed beds now, since 2003 that's what we've had in all our MHs/campers and have never regretted it. Some are not easy to get into, French beds (longitudinal in a rear corner) tend to be lower than transverse (crossways) ones with large garages underneath, whereas rear twin single beds usually have steps up to them to aid getting in/out.

One thing that IS beneficial for all-round living is a double floor as it not only gives you more storage space for bits and bobs but also usually has the fresh water tank (and sometimes waste water tank) within the space to keep it from being frozen in winter, it also means the MH is generally warmer than a single floor MH.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Minxy Girl

I have thought about it! whilst it has the gas tanks, the solar, the batteries.... Major plus!

It has holes, drawers and pulley out things everywhere! but I am leaving with 2 suitcases and a pebble!!!!
The dining table which clearly accomodates for a dinner party, I am solo with at some point possibly a.n. other....

I have no idea what I am looking at, there is space..... Is this a prime consideration for everyone?

I am so grateful, but it is not for me!

But I am so grateful for your time in finding it... Thank you.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Have a shuftie in the classifies as there are a few nice MHs there that might be suitable, if not at least they will give you some ideas of the layouts so you can see what appeals.

Just one observation ... if you are going to be travelling very light then having a large MH isn't ideal as they travel much better with a bit of weight in them and are much quieter too that way.

Do you like to do cooking? Will you need a full cooker (ie with oven & grill), or just a job (how many burners?). What about size of fridge? It might help to think about how you currently live at home, what do you use a lot and would like to replicate as much as possible, and what won't you miss.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Going Nowhere
Listen to the good advice you`re getting from Minxy Girl - she knows her stuff and her advice is sound.
I appreciate you`re wanting to live your dream with guidance from the spirits but you really must accept the reality of your circumstances and what you want to do and make decisions that are going to make life comfortable for you.
If you make bad decisions based on a dream or a message from the "other side" I fear it might all end in tears.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Minxy Girl.
I have to thank you.... Do I cook? oh yes!
Having a large MH? I agree totally stupid, yet I am finding in the last 3 years, I have been helping an awful lot of people. Why do I want a large MH? I have no idea, perhaps somewhere on my travels, I may have to help others!
How do I live? I do not! I exist.... I have a beautiful home, filled with an awful lot of beautiful stuff!
I live at a kitchen table, with a downstairs bedroom built to accomodate someone I truly loved, to move to a bathroom... Which although with a cast iron bath and looking totally lovely. could and should have accomodated a hoist....
I have lost 4 people in the last 41/2 years..... I live in a house built to look after them all....
Minxy, I do not live!
I realise, I must sound so very silly silly to a lot of you... The dreams? The visions? whilst I thought I was going mad, they have helped me get over the loss of everything....
A big motorhome? I know you are all right!...... But you can not possibly understand my perspective....
I just wish to be able to drive somewhere, in the whiles of wanney..... And just try and find out who I AM. I have not seen a TV for 3 1/2 years.. I have also not read newspapers or listened to the 'crap' out there.

And I am being shown the most amazing things, both asleep and awake. You can not understand what I am being shown, but I am on a mission to find a house, next to a trout steam, with yellow rosebushes....
And wether you think me stupid or not..... The majority of you, could not, nor do I wish to experience what I have gone through...

Life is a game of persepctives... You can not understand mine, like I can not understand yours... All any of us can ever hope to do, is offer impartial advice. And hope that everyone and all of us find the meanng of life.
Sorry to be maudlin.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Going Nowhere
Listen to the good advice you`re getting from Minxy Girl - she knows her stuff and her advice is sound.
I appreciate you`re wanting to live your dream with guidance from the spirits but you really must accept the reality of your circumstances and what you want to do and make decisions that are going to make life comfortable for you.
If you make bad decisions based on a dream or a message from the "other side" I fear it might all end in tears.
It already did, before I started hearing them.... Thank you.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
It already did, before I started hearing them.... Thank you.
Go for it - the bigger the better! We are only here once and there's nothing worse than regrets. We had trauma many years ago that still affects me today. I don't think you ever get over it but you do get used to it. So follow those dreams and hopefully you will find the happiness you deserve!

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Can I just ask, the toilet issue!!

You say that in the dream "the toilet froze"

So the desire for a composting toilet, does that come from the frozen toilet in the dream or a desire to be environmentally friendly or an effort to be off grid (away from electricity/water/drains) longer?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't want to say this as if she is serious ,I wish her well, but the longer it goes on you can't get 596 out of your mind.
She asks for advice then goes into a long post about how your advice is wrong and her version is the right one.
Deja Vue. :unsure: :unsure:

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
She asks for advice then goes into a long post about how your advice is wrong and her version is the right one.
Deja Vue. :unsure: :unsure:

Correct... I owe Minxy Girl a HUGE appology... Minxy Girl, you have been offering me very good advice all along and I have been very foolish not to see that..
I have stupidly been looking for a motorhome that creates what I have.... Just because it is what I know... I know nothing about motorhoming.. You all do..

I am very sorry to have been dismissive and critical of your advice. I am now realising the larger motorhomes whilst home from home, would cause no end of propblems once I get on the road..

Thank you for taking the time on Ebay, I am now looking at the links from a realistic approach...

Thank you.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Correct... I owe Minxy Girl a HUGE appology... Minxy Girl, you have been offering me very good advice all along and I have been very foolish not to see that..
I have stupidly been looking for a motorhome that creates what I have.... Just because it is what I know... I know nothing about motorhoming.. You all do..

I am very sorry to have been dismissive and critical of your advice. I am now realising the larger motorhomes whilst home from home, would cause no end of propblems once I get on the road..

Thank you for taking the time on Ebay, I am now looking at the links from a realistic approach...

Thank you.
Don't worry about it, it is very, very easy to get set in a certain frame of mind, especially when it means so much to you. If I'm tending to be that way I try to look at it as if I'm buying it for someone else as it makes me think a bit more about it when I'm responsible for someone else's happiness etc ... it might be helpful if you try this too and separate out your emotions if you can.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Thank you.
Sorry for doubting you , but this 596 guy did just the same, and he had a bee in his bonnet about toilets as well, he was going to apply for a waste license ( allegedly) and dig a hole or something, but it was all a wind up and he kept it up till he got banned.
If you are really on the level, this is the place to be, just take your time and listen to people who have been there in the real world and everything will be sorted. (y) :giggle:

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Can I just ask, the toilet issue!!

You say that in the dream "the toilet froze"

So the desire for a composting toilet, does that come from the frozen toilet in the dream or a desire to be environmentally friendly or an effort to be off grid (away from electricity/water/drains) longer?

All 3 to be honest.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
All 3 to be honest.

Ok, so things to know, its unlikely that the toilet top tank or waste will freeze unless your in extremely cold conditions. If thats the case there are lots of ways to stop this, from chemicals to physical heat options you can also only fill the header tank with water as you go, the black waste will generate some internal heat but again there are options such as environmentally friendly chemicals to lower the freezing point, and if needed remove the waste cassette and store in within the motorhome or some other place overnight.

Pee, especially if this other guy comes along and likes beer will fill the toilet waste tank quickly, but this can be done into other containers such as portable urinals (available for male or female) and deposed of responsibly, this will increase the useable time of the cassette considerably.

You can also use a second (or third) toilet cassette which will keep you off grid longer.

Grey waste can easily be trunked away with a simple pipe to am appropriate area nearby, or into a container and taken away.

I would suggest using a mixture of the above, once you have found the perfect spot to settle down, then either get a toilet plumbed in or if thats not doable, then get a proper chemical toilet as any installation in the motor home will at that point been a waste of effort, time and money and you may need to re-install a cassette system to sell the motor home once you've changed your mind or found/built the perfect house.

Remember every penny you spent on the Motor Home will reduce your budget for the house, and every ill advised modification to the Motor Home will reduce the price you get when you sell.

But the issue off grid is more likely to be water supply, not waste.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Any good?

I am being brought back to this motorhome, repeatedly, for some strange reason.... Whilst totally not at all the internal I would like, it kinda has everything I'm gonna need....

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
It’s a nice van alright, wouldn’t be my choice, but then it’s not my dream or new home.

Many people love those pull down beds, we prefer a layout where you don’t have to fold seats down etc every evening and you get a window each, but that also reduces the living space.

But if we all liked the same things, we would all be boring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back