LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
Wishing you much luck in following your dream.
Use the SEARCH button above right to search for the many previous threads on winterised MHs and also check out the skiing threads.
composting toilets are sometimes found in self=builds and there are some links if you search however I think a standard luton type coachbuilt with beds over cab and in rear such as a Rapido, or an A-class such as a Hymer with dropdown bed over cab and another in rear and Minxy Girl s suggestion of spare cassette would suit you best.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Have a look at ‘Gone with Wynns’ on YouTube. They full time in a big RV in the states, but I’m sure they fitted a composting toilet. From memory, I think they let the pee run into the grey water tank (which generally smells worse that the blank anyway) Dumping compost shouldn’t be a issue, it should be completely smell free by that stage and can go on any patch of natural forest or whatever. It’s not like there are many people doing it, or anyone will even notice.

you really do need to go to a lot of a dealers and look at layouts. I would also advocate hiring campers on something like camplify, so you have an idea of what works for you in reality, especially if you haven’t used a vehicle for living in much. It’s really hard to get right (I’d caravanned for years and still didn’t get it right first time). They aren’t really pushy and are used to a lot of people looking. Just leave your cards at home!

It is quite hard to get motorhomes for two that are not a couple. The best we have come up with so far is a fixed over cab bed and a fixed rear transverse double bed. Meaning that both my daughter and I have our own sleeping/dressing/storage/chilling out space, but as well separated as you can in a small van (as I don’t have a C1 and can’t drive anything heavier than 3.5t, so I’m limited to sub 7m vans). It’s not ideal, but it’s the best I’ve found so far (at the moment we have a drop down king and fixed rear transverse). You can also get twin singles (or even bunks) at the rear, but they can be cramped and might not be suitable for your lifestyle or relationship (They don’t work for me. I like to sit up it bed and read and drink coffee etc)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If sold on the composting toilet, then search for MHs that have a separate toilet (that is, one that is not built into the shower and shower tray, then maybe you can do a swop out for a composting one.
Check out this video where these guys do it in a canalboat.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
:hiya:
Wishing you much luck in following your dream.
Use the SEARCH button above right to search for the many previous threads on winterised MHs and also check out the skiing threads.
composting toilets are sometimes found in self=builds and there are some links if you search however I think a standard luton type coachbuilt with beds over cab and in rear such as a Rapido, or an A-class such as a Hymer with dropdown bed over cab and another in rear and Minxy Girl s suggestion of spare cassette would suit you best.

Thank you so much for your reply, I shall look further into Rapido and Hymer - They are totally winterised?
suggestion of spare cassette would suit you best.
Someone , commented on my mistrust of dealers... I have no mistrust in them. However I am asking if anyone knows anyone who can replace the normal toilet with a composting toilet. 2 Dealers so far are not interested and dont know anyone who could help. It is not something we do!....

But if I am to spend a large chunk of money with a dealer, who is making a lot of profit from the sale. Then surely they are obliged to accomodate the wishes of the buyer, and not fob me off with what they think. I do not know which MH I should be looking at, but I have researched toilets to the enth degree, I know what is best for me. The spare cassette therefor can not possibly suit me best!

I am about to embark on the scariest adventure of my life, I'm heading for Europe in the winter. I've researched every eventuality whch may/could/hopefully wont happen... I just need to find a home to do it in. For every eventuality which is out there in the winter, as best possible.

For i have already indicated what I wish... I am heading to Europe, but someone has already suggested I try Cornwall!

How is this good advice?
sorry to use your post as an example.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Have a look at ‘Gone with Wynns’ on YouTube.
Thank you so much I will, I'm seeing that it is qute commonplace to fit in the USA and AUS, NZ also northern Europe but just not here.
I am unable to fit myself as I have no fasciliry to do so... But there has got be one hell of a business in the UK for somone to do this, as everyseasoned motorhomer who has switched would never, ever go back... If that is the case? im starting from a good place.
Thank you.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
If sold on the composting toilet, then search for MHs that have a separate toilet (that is, one that is not built into the shower and shower tray, then maybe you can do a swop out for a composting one.
Check out this video where these guys do it in a canalboat.

Thank you, I have seen that one. I am looking as you say for just such camper vans, which have the seperate bowl... I realised that only a couple of days ago :rolleyes: that it would indeed be easier for a fitter...
But, I also realised i cant chose a camper van purely for the ease of swapping the toilet, i really need to know what camper will keep me warmest in winter.... Hence I'm here... Thank you.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
For i have already indicated what I wish... I am heading to Europe, but someone has already suggested I try Cornwall!

How is this good advice?
I didn’t suggest Cornwall, I said there are places in France where the winter is not so severe “like Cornwall” For comparison...🤔

the good people on here will give you excellent advice, especially when you have no experience, and this is a Fun forum so we do have some of that sometimes..😁

so,..... have you thought about the length of time spent in Europe next year with the 90 day limit...? Or do you have a plan for that..?

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
:oops::oops: What 90 day limit? I thought I had to get over there before the 31st December, find a notaire, open a bank account and explain I didnt have an address as yet, but was looking!

Sorry to misread your post.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Well Just Smiffy, I aint never been to Spain or Portugal ;) It appears after all, I may well have somewhere to get to in 90 days!

I am determined to find solutions not problems .

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
What happened to that Funster who was existing in supermarket car parks, south coast somewhere?
Wasn’t he using a compost toilet or similar??

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
I may not sell it! I still have to find the house, and that may well not be this May coming but the next! in which case, the girl will have transported me here there and everywhere, through rain, hail, sleet and shine....
I hope the house has a hanger, then I'll be able to keep her out of the weather and have my very own man cave for years to come.
And a very rich and fertile compost heap :LOL:

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
:oops::oops: What 90 day limit? I thought I had to get over there before the 31st December, find a notaire, open a bank account and explain I didnt have an address as yet, but was looking!

Sorry to misread your post.
I think (pretty sure} you have to be in the country for 3 months prior to making a residence application,for France anyway. And a postal address. We are currently looking for property SW France!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Well Just Smiffy, I aint never been to Spain or Portugal ;) It appears after all, I may well have somewhere to get to in 90 days!

I am determined to find solutions not problems .
Your determination will not protect you from the problems , but hope they dont become insurmountable :)

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
I think (pretty sure} you have to be in the country for 3 months prior to making a residence application,for France anyway. And a postal address. We are currently looking for property SW France!
I had decided once contracts were exchanged on my house, to speak with one of the French legals over here. As everything is changing with Brexit, I decided the last 2 weeks before setting off, advice would still be applicable... I think I too am headed that way!
I believe I may have problems with the french residency initially, as I will have no address over here either, which may pose a few problems. But until i exchange, im not worrying.....
Incidentally, I hope your not looking at Leggetts estate agents! they set prices for us mugs to pay. There are other sites out there, with far better and cheaper properties... IMHO

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Welcome to Fun!
2 points to remember - 1 - Dealers are all nasty and evil 2 - The Airhead unit could be fitted.

Simon

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
What happened to that Funster who was existing in supermarket car parks, south coast somewhere?
Wasn’t he using a compost toilet or similar??

I wondered about that too. There was also a guy, previously, who had an idea about a buried tank was it? There’s nothing Fun likes more than a toilet issue ... 😉

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Minxy Girl
I have done an awful lot of research on this.. I am looking at the Airhead composting toilet, (EXPENSIVE) but there most certainly isnt wet waste! toilet paper needs to be bagged separately and i am presently buying Fragrant nappy sacks for this. The amount of waste after 1 month for 1 person? is not much! for it is dry! and the moisure has been eliminated.
The pee does have to be emptied (for one) every 4 ish days. But whilst it has an odour, as long as there are no chemicals, it is not an enviromental hazard..
I don't doubt that you've done a lot of research, :smiley: I know it won't be 'wet' solid waste as that's the point of them and why the pee is separated out (I'm not totally uneducated on how they work) but you still have to get shot of the dry waste somewhere suitable. Similarly the pee - can you imagine the state of places if this was done by all MHers? Its bad enough when some decide to wee outside rather than in their own toilet and no matter how environmentally friendly it is it will still stink, especially in hot weather, so anyone staying near the area where you've disposed of it after you've left could experience a pong. If you are spotted wandering off into the undergrowth to dispose of it you will likely get some comments from other MHers etc not to mention if the Spanish police spot you.

I'm more than supportive of using this sort of thing where it makes sense but I'm struggling to understand why you are doing it when you haven't had a MH so don't know if you really need to go to the hassle of changing a MH to take one or the expense and hassle of doing so.

Nearly forgot, Tesco do a cheap nappy bag, we use them as dog poo bags.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you so much I will, I'm seeing that it is qute commonplace to fit in the USA and AUS, NZ also northern Europe but just not here.
I am unable to fit myself as I have no fasciliry to do so... But there has got be one hell of a business in the UK for somone to do this, as everyseasoned motorhomer who has switched would never, ever go back... If that is the case? im starting from a good place.
Thank you.
Can you please give us some links so we can have a shuftie, could make interesting reading.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
But if I am to spend a large chunk of money with a dealer, who is making a lot of profit from the sale. Then surely they are obliged to accomodate the wishes of the buyer, and not fob me off with what they think.
I think you'll find they can turn down the job of fitting a composting toilet if they dont feel happy doing it but im sure youll find someone who will

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
But if I am to spend a large chunk of money with a dealer, who is making a lot of profit from the sale. Then surely they are obliged to accomodate the wishes of the buyer, and not fob me off with what they think.
They don't have to do anything, not even sell you a MH if they don't want to. Look at it from their point of view, they can sell MHs quite easily at the moment with little hassle, their workshops will be full to bursting from the backlog of outstanding work and hab servicing to be done, so why on earth would they agree to do a major chop job on a MH to accommodate one customer's wishes with the risk that if they hit issues they could end up with a butchered MH a lot of hassle and possibly no sale at all, they'd be silly to do this IMV.

There's nothing to stop you buying a MH and then taking it somewhere else to have it altered but that would likely invalidate any warranty on it so buying new would be a very bad idea if you definitely want to do this.

Some older MHs have the porta-potty type toilets that just lift out so you could look to get one of those, old Hymers for example had these and are well regarded in terms of winterisation and longevity.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Why not a toilet with black tank and then you can dump the contents down the proper drain, a decent size tank will do you a couple of weeks no problem and you won't have to sneak around trying to get rid of pee when there is snow on the ground or any other time come to that, PS don't eat the yellow snow ;)

Martin

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
This couple on youtube have had a composting toilet for a while - check out their review of it: Broken Link Removed
They also did an interesting comparison of cassette vs composting toilets: Broken Link Removed (though it was more of portapotti than a cassette toilet).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back