Which home to buy? (1 Viewer)

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Hello Everyone, I am so confused as to which motor home I should be looking at, as I've never even looked inside one yet! Buy I was hoping that with your experience, you could steer me in the right direction. Here is my story.
I had a dream 2 years ago, that i would leave my house with 2 suitcases and one item only, the next part of the dream, i think i may be in France (not 100% about that). Someone is driving as i wake up and i notice a dirt track. I shout out 'Stop this is it, ths is the one I saw in my dream'. The next part is that im standing by a house, which is in approx 2-3 acres, remote, and there is a trout river/stream VERY close to the house. I am told the house belonged to my husband in a previous life and that it will be coming on the market. 'I run inside and run up a concrete/marble staircase and down again, i say to 'someone?' I'll buy it. At which point I'm told I can not as it is not yet for sale, but it will be.
I had a dream this spring that i should put my house on the market as my buyer was waiting for it. I duly put it on the market late June and my first viewing was my buyer, who wishes me to leave everything!
So since the first part of the dream, is now a reality!! I am going on the road to nowhere in search of a dream!. about October/November I need to hit the road and go to Europe, I have no idea where, but I need a home, which clearly needs to be warm in the winter! for I have been told I will recognise this house from the yellow rosebushes, which as far as I'm aware do not come out till May!
I would like a fixed bed motorhome, well insulated, somewhere to cook, sit, wash and toilet facilities. I wish to be able to wild camp for days on end. I am presently looking to see if I can have and airhead composting toilet fitted to allow ths possibility, but as soon as I ask a dealer they are not interested.
I clearly need a separate bed, for I have no idea who may be joining me, (someone else is drivng) I am otherwise single. So space between the sleeping areas is a must!
So happy campers. What am I looking for with regards to my motorhome? and where should I be looking?

I hope this long post was not too boring.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Thank you David.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
There is no right answer. You have to visit the dealers and have a good look at what’s available.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
138go
What you say is very true! but a dealer is a dealer! I am new to this and could easily be taken in!

Which is why I came here. For if i have an indication, of roughly what to look for, I'm not going to be steered in the direction of the one they just cant get rid of! A dealer is a dealer.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Hello and welcome to Motorhome fun .

Could you build your own Motorhome ? Lots of self builders around , or work with someone to convert a van to your needs ?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Going Nowhere

DON'T answer this???

You only have 5 'Free' Posts.

With respect, use the posts wisely, not 'just' saying Thank you.

Or, you may have already realised that this Forum and the Funsters are very much worthy of putting hand in pocket and paying out a paltry £15 for the best, most informative site dedicated to motorhoming.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Welcome to Motorhome Fun! Pay your £15 and then you will be able to download Jim's Buying a Motorhome Guide which should answer all your questions.

Unfortunately you really do have to trawl round the dealers and see what is available. It will also depend on your budget as to what you can afford. Once you've found what you want perhaps look at buying one privately if you don't trust dealers. There may even be something in the Classifieds on here which might suit.

You will probably need to be looking at a continental motorhome for the winterisation you need. I don't think you'll find a motorhome with a composting toilet to be honest - I've certainly never heard of one!!!

Good luck with finding what you want.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
138go
What you say is very true! but a dealer is a dealer! I am new to this and could easily be taken in!

A dealer is a dealer.
But you're not obliged to buy. ;)
In your position you MUST look at lots to make any progress towards forming a short list of preferred size and layouts.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Thank you so much everyone.
I will no doubt get the message to pay the £15. But from my perspective, it will be £15.00 well spent. For you are all seasoned and qualified, knowledgeable motorhomers. Which is a damn site more than me.

There are so many makers out there, they all claim everything. I am one of the most gullible people you could ever meet. But i am also a realist, if i end up in the mountains and a -20 hit, I am now looking at survival over aethetics! I am researching, hence I need a composting toilet, for if I am trapped for a week/fortnight in deep snow, I will have eliminated one of the major concerns. Do any of you know who can fit these, removing the Thetford and black waste, to allow for extra water to be carried?

If as DiniseJoe suggests I should look at a continental, I have been reading about Niessmann Bieshoff and Dethleffs, are there others? I can not afford to buy a new motorhome with their price tags, as I've said I have to buy a house, and I have no idea how much it will cost. I have to be realistic there too.

And I am really grateful for your comments. Thank you.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Welcome to the fun house. :LOL:

Well, that's quite a 'dream'! If you want more specific advice you'll need to give more info such as:

Budget - what's your absolute max
Driving Licence - do you have a C1 to allow you to drive over 3500kg MHs
Size - maximum length/width
Type of vehicle - panel van conversion, coachbuilt, A-class
Age of MH - how old you would be happy with
Any must haves - fixed bed noted!

Others - I notice you say you won't be driving so who will????? Unfortunately we don't have 'auto-pilot' MHs yet. :giggle:

How do you intend to use it ... stay on site for a few weeks or move every few days? If the former you may need another form of transport to get to shops, have a bit of exercise/leisure etc so will need to think of what that will be and how you'll store it, eg do you need a garage?

Toilet - As for a composting toilet, it's not gonna happen as dealer probably won't even have heard of one never mind agree to put one in for you, but you can easily extend the time you can stay in one place by having a second cassette which is what quite a few of us do.

The one thing you really MUST do though is subscribe to the forum for a year at least that way you can give us the info and bombard us with questions etc to help you get what you want without making what could be a very expensive mistake otherwise.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another consideration, insurance ... this can be VERY expensive for full-timers which is what you will be so make sure you have some dosh held back for stuff like that, until you have a specific MH in mind it will be difficult to get a definite cost for this but it's gonna probably be over £1,000 as a newbie.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thank you so much everyone.
I will no doubt get the message to pay the £15. But from my perspective, it will be £15.00 well spent. For you are all seasoned and qualified, knowledgeable motorhomers. Which is a damn site more than me.

There are so many makers out there, they all claim everything. I am one of the most gullible people you could ever meet. But i am also a realist, if i end up in the mountains and a -20 hit, I am now looking at survival over aethetics! I am researching, hence I need a composting toilet, for if I am trapped for a week/fortnight in deep snow, I will have eliminated one of the major concerns. Do any of you know who can fit these, removing the Thetford and black waste, to allow for extra water to be carried?

If as DiniseJoe suggests I should look at a continental, I have been reading about Niessmann Bieshoff and Dethleffs, are there others? I can not afford to buy a new motorhome with their price tags, as I've said I have to buy a house, and I have no idea how much it will cost. I have to be realistic there too.

And I am really grateful for your comments. Thank you.
Nice dream, but the reality is that there’s nowhere in France that is warm in winter, there are places that have a shorter winter and not so severe.... like Cornwall but it’s still winter.
You can always pop over to Spain for some sunshine though....

some will 😱 at the thought of a compost in a Niessmann Bieshoff..😂 whereever you are in Europe there is always somewhere to dump from a cassette as long as you have a shovel..

good luck with your dreams..😊

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Nice dream, but the reality is that there’s nowhere in France that is warm in winter, there are places that have a shorter winter and not so severe.... like Cornwall but it’s still winter.

some will 😱 at the thought of a compost in a Niessmann Bieshoff..😂 whereever you are in Europe there is always somewhere to dump from a cassette as long as you have a shovel..

Well blow me down ... I always thought that was for burying the bodies of other MHers who've peed you off ... >:)

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Welcome to the fun house. :LOL:

Well, that's quite a 'dream'! If you want more specific advice you'll need to give more info such as:

Budget - what's your absolute max ... I do not know, How much is the house? lets say £40,000
Driving Licence - do you have a C1 to allow you to drive over 3500kg MHs........... Yes
Size - maximum length/width ..... No idea, never driven one, driven a Luton before!
Type of vehicle - panel van conversion, coachbuilt, A-class........... Dont know what they mean?
Age of MH - how old you would be happy with ....... I have no idea what is good or bad!
Any must haves - fixed bed noted!....... retro fit compost toilet.

Others - I notice you say you won't be driving so who will????? Unfortunately we don't have 'auto-pilot' MHs yet. :giggle: ...... Thats the biggest worry, I have no idea, when, where or how I meet them.

How do you intend to use it ... stay on site for a few weeks or move every few days? .... I doubt I will be on site much, for I have the worst sense of direction possible, even with a sat nav :rolleyes::oops:

Toilet - As for a composting toilet, it's not gonna happen as dealer probably won't even have heard of one never mind agree to put one in for you, but you can easily extend the time you can stay in one place by having a second cassette which is what quite a few of us do...... ;)

The one thing you really MUST do though is subscribe to the forum (y)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Welcome to the forum, you have quite a dream going on there, I hope your dreams are fulfilled.

:welcome4:
We all need a dream, but hopefully the realist in you will steer you in the right direction (y)

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp

Very few places are warm in the winter, that is why it is called the winter. But im following a dream to europe, even my bad sence of direction knows Cornwall is the wrong way to go and get there :giggle:

Thank you for your comment.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just a thought ... even with a composting toilet you still have to get rid of the contents and then of course there's the pee to dump somewhere too ...

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Just a thought ... even with a composting toilet you still have to get rid of the contents and then of course there's the pee to dump somewhere too ...

Agreed. But the pee is separated, and if necessary can be poured on open ground, as it is not harmful to the enviroment, it is after all water... The solid waste, already starts to compost once dry, and it is perfectly legal to put on a compost heap or double bag and through into a bin.. There is no smell with a composting toilet. So if stuck, it would sit in the storage compartment until the facilities were there to dispose of it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Agreed. But the pee is separated, and if necessary can be poured on open ground, as it is not harmful to the enviroment, it is after all water... The solid waste, already starts to compost once dry, and it is perfectly legal to put on a compost heap or double bag and through into a bin.. There is no smell with a composting toilet. So if stuck, it would sit in the storage compartment until the facilities were there to dispose of it.
I like the idea but the reality could be 'interesting' ... where are the bins that you could legitimately put it in as I assume they won't be 'small' bags and you wouldn't want to fill up the general waste bins along pavements etc? As for pouring urine onto open ground it is far from ideal as it isn't just water, it has other stuff in it, and smells ... so to be totally environmentally friendly you'd need to dispose of it in a proper disposal point.

I'm not sure if all, but the composting/separating toilets I've seen, tend not to be watertight so how do you cope with that when travelling so you don't end up with a mess?

I'm just not convinced of the need to go to that extent when an extra toilet cassette (or more!) would seem to be the much easier solution.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
I like the idea but the reality could be 'interesting' ... where are the bins that you could legitimately put it in as I assume they won't be 'small' bags and you wouldn't want to fill up the general waste bins along pavements etc? As for pouring urine onto open ground it is far from ideal as it isn't just water, it has other stuff in it, and smells ... so to be totally environmentally friendly you'd need to dispose of it in a proper disposal point.

I'm not sure if all, but the composting/separating toilets I've seen, tend not to be watertight so how do you cope with that when travelling so you don't end up with a mess?

I'm just not convinced of the need to go to that extent when an extra toilet cassette (or more!) would seem to be the much easier solution.

Hi Minxy Girl
I have done an awful lot of research on this.. I am looking at the Airhead composting toilet, (EXPENSIVE) but there most certainly isnt wet waste! toilet paper needs to be bagged separately and i am presently buying Fragrant nappy sacks for this. The amount of waste after 1 month for 1 person? is not much! for it is dry! and the moisure has been eliminated.
The pee does have to be emptied (for one) every 4 ish days. But whilst it has an odour, as long as there are no chemicals, it is not an enviromental hazard..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back