What is the future for motorhomes (2 Viewers)

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Is it a clean method? More so than petrol of diesel?
I can see where you're coming from Sue, but a lot, lot cleaner than petrol and diesel. Used in our fleet of 25 warehouse distribution centre forklift trucks when I was working. The trucks were used inside the building also, and constantly on the go. If it were petrol or diesel powering them inside everyone working would be dead in there now. These days I see electric fork trucks are the norm. But. yes LPG is a big cleaner alternative.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
I can see where you're coming from Sue, but a lot, lot cleaner than petrol and diesel. Used in our fleet of 25 warehouse distribution centre forklift trucks when I was working. The trucks were used inside the building also, and constantly on the go. If it were petrol or diesel powering them inside everyone working would be dead in there now. These days I see electric fork trucks are the norm. But. yes LPG is a big cleaner alternative.
Why aren't we aware of this, and why aren't we encouraged to use LPG vehicles? It seems we are in the dark about so much!

Jan 18, 2018
Old Basing, Basingstoke, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285
The problem with LPG conversion is the size of the tank you need to get any mileage. You would need to allocate a large amout of space for the gas tanks. Can't see it being an option for conversion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Tony
Reckon it can be done as loads of wasted space underneath the vans usually. And as they say " where there's a will there's a way " I've already a 25 litre tank for gas under mine and reckon I could get another 80 litre one under there as well, and mines only a van conversion. It'll Be interesting though. All the best.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Why aren't we aware of this, and why aren't we encouraged to use LPG vehicles? It seems we are in the dark about so much!
No need to look further than the Oil Industry and Refiners, Sue. Big bucks in our economy!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
IF, they, and by that I mean Jap/Euro car makers in the UK, are silly enough, as has been suggested to take the ball away and Sulk!. We will have a lot of nice empty Factories, with lots of nice production lines, (it wont be economic to remove them, it never is, cheaper to rebuild new) to Kick start, a new industrial revolution. Which is MORE than we where left with after 6+years of WW2. The UK had no "Marshal Plan". Germany got the "new" kit. I worked in a UK Aircraft factory that was using Pre war German machines, that was in 1968!. Some even had shrapnel marks from the British and American Bombing!

There are currently 12 manufacturers wanting to start production of electric vehicles using an off the shelf drive train/electronics/battery unit.
Unfortunately that drive unit is from a German manufacturer. But you never know, they might be outsourcing the manufacturing to the far east and we could then buy direct from there without the restrictions of the EU.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well just to add to the diesel debate.

Yesterday morning I unfortunately had the misfortune to sit behind an 08 Audi diesel car. The fumes from his smoking engine were extremely obvious and immediately caused discomfort. It is because of this type of vehicle that the mood and move against diesel vehicles has changed.

What the answer is, is unclear but I suspect that the un-worldly politicians of the day will make some nonsensical decision to P*** everyone off.

I do not yet own a MH and am still looking for my first one. Because of the sanctions that may be added to older diesel engines down the road, I have to consider a new or nearly new vehicle. So the comments about second hand values for older vehicles maybe have some merit.

What is obvious though is something has to be done to remove polluting vehicles off the roads whether they be diesel or petrol.

No concessions have ever been enforced on old polluting 50, 60s classic cars so why would any government risk the votes to do it to diesels..The obvious answer to pollution is ban all vehicles from town and city centres but no political party or council dare do it because of the electorate,,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Did not see this posted at all. Why not convert engine to run LPG 59p a litre surely that's the future for us. Cook off the engine as well! :LOL: Son has just converted his Range Rover to LPG and noticeable difference in performance. Happy wandering:)

Think the Government would soon tax the arse off LPG if it became really popular,,,BUSBY..

Jan 18, 2018
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285
Hi Tony
Reckon it can be done as loads of wasted space underneath the vans usually. And as they say " where there's a will there's a way " I've already a 25 litre tank for gas under mine and reckon I could get another 80 litre one under there as well, and mines only a van conversion. It'll Be interesting though. All the best.
If that would work you can use the same gas for cooking, but vehicles of 3.5 tonne would need a BIG tank to get any mileage. I have seen an early Landrover conversion and most of the boot (if you can call it that) was a gas tank.

Jan 18, 2018
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285
No concessions have ever been enforced on old polluting 50, 60s classic cars so why would any government risk the votes to do it to diesels..The obvious answer to pollution is ban all vehicles from town and city centres but no political party or council dare do it because of the electorate,,,BUSBY.
Most of the issues with old smoky diesels really could be solved at MOT stations. If they would do there jobs properly it would limit the problem cars on the road.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Most of the issues with old smoky diesels really could be solved at MOT stations. If they would do there jobs properly it would limit the problem cars on the road.
My 2 sons are MOT testers, to ensure they are doing their job properly, what is it they may be doing wrong please?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

No MOT needed on really old vehicles,,,Not many old commercial vehicles on the road anyway,,,all worn out,,BUSBY,,

Jan 18, 2018
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285
My 2 sons are MOT testers, to ensure they are doing their job properly, what is it they may be doing wrong please?
I am only talking from personal experience and am not stating that all MOT testing stations follow this practice.
Ones that I have seen put the sensor in the exhaust to measure the readings, when the readings hit the required figure they stop the test to ensure that the vehicle passes the emission test. Must be honest though I have not seen an MOT station for a few years now.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
No MOT needed on really old vehicles,,,Not many old commercial vehicles on the road anyway,,,all worn out,,BUSBY,,

Of the ones which are, most have been lovingly rebuilt often to standards the original builders could only dream of in a comercial environment, The majority of GOOD rebuilt classics, cars Commercials and Motorcycles, are better than new.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Most of the issues with old smoky diesels really could be solved at MOT stations. If they would do there jobs properly it would limit the problem cars on the road
I am only talking from personal experience and am not stating that all MOT testing stations follow this practice.
Ones that I have seen put the sensor in the exhaust to measure the readings, when the readings hit the required figure they stop the test to ensure that the vehicle passes the emission test. Must be honest though I have not seen an MOT station for a few years now.

So you have had no contact with MOT stations for a few years, yet you state some are not doing their job properly! Any evidence ? No thought not.

Jan 18, 2018
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285
Just need to look at the state of some of the cars on the road. I also KNOW that I could get an MOT without even presenting a car at a station. Not rocket science!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Forgive me if I have missed it on this thread, but is it at all likely that the Diesel engine will become “cleaner” through better design and technology,thus making it more acceptable environmentally?
Surely it will continue to be improved,as has happened in the past?
How? Most companies will talk the talk but off the record tell you that it has gone as far as it can go. Anything else is smoke & mirrors. When the air exiting the exhaust of a modern diesel engine is cleaner than the air entering the intake perhaps you can explain to the political half-wits how much "cleaner" it can get ?

Well if EU vehicles go up 10% we will have to buy British,,simples..Being as EU exports at least twice as many vehicles to UK as it imports who would be hurt the most from tariffs ???.I honestly think if we just walk away and tell them to stuff customs union etc they would be back trying to re negotiate a deal with us at any cost because they will loose loose loose if we put barriers in the way of their trade,,,BUSBY..
with the ferries & tunnel stopped how do you import the food ? There's no need to worry about vehicles .:LOL:

:LOL: & those of us with them are exempt from road tax & the emission zones. :laughing::laughing:You can't make this stuff up. :LOL: & the new Tesla S with zero road tax has to pay £310 /year for years 2-5 under the new regulations. Yet the V8 Mustang current £535/year road tax reduces to £140 :rofl::rofl:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

Just need to look at the state of some of the cars on the road. I also KNOW that I could get an MOT without even presenting a car at a station. Not rocket science!

Please don't take your vehicle to my sons' MOT station. you will be very upset to find they conduct the test "fairly". No fear or favour, they even fail their own cars and mine if necessary!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I also KNOW that I could get an MOT without even presenting a car at a station.

Really?

I assume you KNOW that when the police punch in the reg no into their computer thingy, the answer will come back that the mot is valid too.

I do believe the details are stored digitally these days...

I doubt the Guinness beer mat works as a tax disc these days either.

JJ :cool:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There are a couple of things that no ICE can escape: the CO2 output is simply a measure of fuel efficiency - if an engine burns more fuel it puts out more CO2. It's a function of burning fossil fuel and has not changed since the first ICEs were built. So improvement can only come from increased engine efficiency or in other words mpg. The NOx output is also a direct result of using atmospheric air in the combustion process (air is around 60% nitrogen). The more efficient (ie hotter) the combustion process the more nitrogen is oxidised. NOx output can be reduced by lowering the combustion temperature (using EGR for example) which impacts on engine efficiency and therefore CO2 production. Or it can be captured and converted to a less noxious product downstream using AdBlue and a suitable cat (it is split back to nitrogen and oxygen). Carbon particle production by Diesel engines can be captured by a particle filter - again downstream of the engine - and burned when the DPF undergoes a cleaning cycle to produce CO2. We are close to the limit of fuel efficiency (CO2 production) so even if DPF & an AdBlue cat are in use CO2 production is inevitable and unlikely to be improved upon.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Following a conversation in the pub (yes,I know,I know!) about pollution from shipping,I googled “do ships pollute more than cars”.
Staggering!!!!!!!
And yes,there is the old saying “ lies,damn lies,and statistics”.........there’s another one...no smoke without fire!
It can be turned into a complex debate,but if you want to keep it simple then shipping is clearly a massive pollutant.

Wrong, In terms of goods moved per mile per kg of fuel consumed, Ships are THE most efficient method of transportation. car`s the most inefficient. If you want to bury the planet in Carbon. Try moving all the goods halfway round the world in your car. The only alternative of course is not to make the goods in the first place?. Which is what the "greenies" would have us do. Live in mud hut`s and walk everywhere with all the disease and "comforts" of the 3rd world.

Did not see this posted at all. Why not convert engine to run LPG 59p a litre surely that's the future for us. Cook off the engine as well! :LOL: Son has just converted his Range Rover to LPG and noticeable difference in performance. Happy wandering:)

LPG is only 80% as efficient as Petrol anyway. And as soon as the politicians see a rise in it`s use the TAX will go up Just as it did with diesel. Which in the 80`s was 10p/litre cheaper than Petrol and is now up to 15p dearer.

No issues, with use on a limited working "ground", however the big issue is availability of charging in the wider world.

Yet the V8 Mustang current £535/year road tax reduces to £140

YES, YES, YES, Gimmee Gimme Gimme. I want one!! Or better still a `64 Convertible.

Jan 18, 2018
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285
Really?

I assume you KNOW that when the police punch in the reg no into their computer thingy, the answer will come back that the mot is valid too.

I’m not condoning nor would I use such a service, but it is possible if you know where to look. The process is very simple

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'll have to dig it out but there was an interesting article in the recent MMM Mag which suggested that alternative powered motorhomes will be sold from 2023.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I'll have to dig it out but there was an interesting article in the recent MMM Mag which suggested that alternative powered motorhomes will be sold from 2023.

Hillside in Derby already produce one,,BUSBY,,

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Really?

Anyone can check, go to DVLA enquiry, anyone can also check if a vehicle is insured.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax,
https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

upload_2018-2-14_10-6-0.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread