What is the future for motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Once 40 years old in the Uk then it is exempt .if they'd stuck to the original plan it would beat 25 years, like most countries. I don't pay road tax here, nor does anyone who applies at 25 years .
Historic is also exempt in many emission zones &, even being foreign registered, I am registered as exempt in the Lez . Probably others as well but as I'm unlikely to want to use them then I haven't bothered.

Might be ott in the UK but 83% of all sales here are diesel & always have been. Petrol was always seen as the province of the extremely wealthy & those with an alternative coloured income :)

I know a chap here who bought a new merc in 1997. It has never been in a fuel station:)

In Aldi's a couple of days back & I noticed that I can now buy sunflower oil cheaper than road diesel here. (y) Never used to be the case & as mine will run on it ..........:D2

Its just the problem of carrying 70 litres of it home,,,BUSBY.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We are doomed Mr Mannering,,doomed,,,BUSBY.

Why will coming out of EU restrict travel in Europe? BUSBY.
if we end up with only 90days on entry. it will cut many from going . plus they may make vehicles go to needing carnet de passage etc . yes it was possible before we joined , used to get away with my parents as a child in old vans etc . but it was easier then as we dodged from one country to another now europe as such is one country as far as visa etc . insurance might be awkward as before you got it at every border as and when you entered each country.
but never mind hopefully a ferry to africa is on its way.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
if we end up with only 90days on entry. it will cut many from going . plus they may make vehicles go to needing carnet de passage etc . yes it was possible before we joined , used to get away with my parents as a child in old vans etc . but it was easier then as we dodged from one country to another now europe as such is one country as far as visa etc . insurance might be awkward as before you got it at every border as and when you entered each country.
but never mind hopefully a ferry to africa is on its way.

Doubt it,,tit for tat would stop that,,,more Europeans visit UK than Brits visit Europe,,any restrictions would be loose loose for them,,Have Sweden,,Norway or Switzerland got a 90 day restriction?? REMOANERS tittle tattle,,BUSBY:D:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I dont see it becoming that much more difficult to access Europe after even a Hard Brexit?. Apart from the fact that Huge Numbers of "Europeans" are willing to visit the UK as holidaymakers, there is a big market in UK citizens accessing Europe. What it WILL do is require those visiting to have properly checked VISA`s. And allow the UK to LEGALLY deport those who are abusing our systems. I have crossed from the US to Mexico several times over the years and the Paperwork takes just a few minutes. Their biggest issue (like us) is the Illegals. Not those with genuine papers. Cross the channel, the ferry co`s already check your ticket and count heads, the only thing they would add is a check of the visa?, (they have to do a head count since the Herald of Free Enterprise, when there was confusion over Numbers) NO visa NO ferry, Simples!.

A 90day limit is good enough for 99% of UK travel to EU. BUT, as with the US you could get an extended visa (10year) allowing longer stays. It works, I know I have done it!.

All the B-S about "restrictions" are IMV just that B_S. put about by the EU/Bremainer manipulators.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Doubt it,,tit for tat would stop that,,,more Europeans visit UK than Brits visit Europe,,any restrictions would be loose loose for them,,Have Sweden,,Norway or Switzerland got a 90 day restriction?? REMOANERS tittle tattle,,BUSBY:D:D
dont think we will ever be like them . they never joined uk did . i think of brexit like we become one of the other parts of the world where we need visa,s either before or on entry. tarriffs on our goods sold in eu and we tarrif their products . like i say it wont be easy but we can remove tarrifs from countries outside eu and them us . leave means leave it doesnt mean do as we are told or kiss their arses in eu. it means leave .
if we work on the very least we will have then we can only get a kind of bonus . there is a world outside the eu. even looking at the way it was just before we joined the eec it should or could be not as easy as then.
but we shall have to wait and see.
i can see eu made vehicles and food etc going up by at least 10%.
but it will be possible for us to buy else where .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I dont see it becoming that much more difficult to access Europe after even a Hard Brexit?. Apart from the fact that Huge Numbers of "Europeans" are willing to visit the UK as holidaymakers, there is a big market in UK citizens accessing Europe. What it WILL do is require those visiting to have properly checked VISA`s. And allow the UK to LEGALLY deport those who are abusing our systems. I have crossed from the US to Mexico several times over the years and the Paperwork takes just a few minutes. Their biggest issue (like us) is the Illegals. Not those with genuine papers. Cross the channel, the ferry co`s already check your ticket and count heads, the only thing they would add is a check of the visa?, (they have to do a head count since the Herald of Free Enterprise, when there was confusion over Numbers) NO visa NO ferry, Simples!.

A 90day limit is good enough for 99% of UK travel to EU. BUT, as with the US you could get an extended visa (10year) allowing longer stays. It works, I know I have done it!.

All the B-S about "restrictions" are IMV just that B_S. put about by the EU/Bremainer manipulators.
i have always thought uk joining the eec was not a good idea . i,m definately not a bremainer.
uk let its self drop after the war and sucked the arse of the eec .

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There are countries in the EU that rely on UK tourists to a great degree, they are starting to make noise already as are other interests that see the direction that the Commission and Barnier are going , they are worried that we might walk away , as small as that likelihood is .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What it WILL do is require those visiting to have properly checked VISA`s. And allow the UK to LEGALLY deport those who are abusing our systems. I have crossed from the US to Mexico several times over the years and the Paperwork takes just a few minutes. Their biggest issue (like us) is the Illegals. Not those with genuine papers. Cross the channel, the ferry co`s already check your ticket and count heads, the only thing they would add is a check of the visa?, (they have to do a head count since the Herald of Free Enterprise, when there was confusion over Numbers) NO visa NO ferry, Simples!.

What has always fascinated me is the fact that using ferry/tunnel you just hand over passports , don't leave the vehicle ,rarely does anyone ask to search the vehicle let alone asking you to take off half your clothes & use a body scanner or show that all your electrical stuff aren't just dummies ,etc; etc; whereas when using a plane you need all the above plus your eyes scanned an actual boarding pass even if digital , unlike just using a vehicle registration, etc.
What is the difference ?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
What has always fascinated me is the fact that using ferry/tunnel you just hand over passports , don't leave the vehicle ,rarely does anyone ask to search the vehicle let alone asking you to take off half your clothes & use a body scanner or show that all your electrical stuff aren't just dummies ,etc; etc; whereas when using a plane you need all the above plus your eyes scanned an actual boarding pass even if digital , unlike just using a vehicle registration, etc.
What is the difference ?

A plausible explanation could be that terrorists need the ferry/tunnel as much as we do and won't provoke a need for greater security checks.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
What is the difference ?

Well I can give you some answers.

An aircraft is much more susceptible than a ferry to damage from even a small bomb for the following reasons:-

It is constructed of aluminium not steel

The explosion would be in a more confined space

The hull is pressurised, so that any rupture of the cabin wall causes more damage as the pressurised air rushing out can peel a bigger hole.

Bomb damage in the hull can fracture control and hydraulic lines running through the cabin area to the control surfaces, resulting in the aircraft being uncontrollable. This damage is unlikely in a ship where the steering mechanism is probably a couple of steel decks below any bomb.

Even if a bomb rendered a ship uncontrollable it is unlikely to sink it.

The vehicle decks have no people in after leaving port, so unlikely to result in deaths on the passenger decks, unlike an aircraft, so not as much propoganda gains for terrorist groups.

These are just a few reasons that ships are much less likely be attractive for the evil groups that launch terrorist attacks, therefore are considered lower risk needing less stingent security.

Geoff (ex-airline Captain)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Forgive me if I have missed it on this thread, but is it at all likely that the Diesel engine will become “cleaner” through better design and technology,thus making it more acceptable environmentally?
Surely it will continue to be improved,as has happened in the past?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Forgive me if I have missed it on this thread, but is it at all likely that the Diesel engine will become “cleaner” through better design and technology,thus making it more acceptable environmentally?
Surely it will continue to be improved,as has happened in the past?

Euro 6 is so clean already that Euro 7 is facing the law of diminishing returns. Euro 8? EVs would be a better solution.

The enforcement of stricter testing such as Real Driving Emissions testing procedures is the way forward. Some current diesel cars certified as Euro 6 compliant when tested under RDE showed 12 times the permitted emissions. That shows how manufacturers are still gaming the system.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
What is the difference ?

I suspect the difference is you are sharing a Flying Machine with several hundred more people. Whereas (as yet) the Terrorists have not made targets out of Ferries and Individual vehicles, Likely because the "T-V Air Time" is not great enough. Bring down an Aircraft, it is likely that it will be "News" for weeks, Kill a couple in a camper, 15 min tops. Likely it will happen, but for now they are making use of the Liberal access to move themselves and their weaponry across borders.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
dont think we will ever be like them . they never joined uk did . i think of brexit like we become one of the other parts of the world where we need visa,s either before or on entry. tarriffs on our goods sold in eu and we tarrif their products . like i say it wont be easy but we can remove tarrifs from countries outside eu and them us . leave means leave it doesnt mean do as we are told or kiss their arses in eu. it means leave .
if we work on the very least we will have then we can only get a kind of bonus . there is a world outside the eu. even looking at the way it was just before we joined the eec it should or could be not as easy as then.
but we shall have to wait and see.
i can see eu made vehicles and food etc going up by at least 10%.
but it will be possible for us to buy else where .

Well if EU vehicles go up 10% we will have to buy British,,simples..Being as EU exports at least twice as many vehicles to UK as it imports who would be hurt the most from tariffs ???.I honestly think if we just walk away and tell them to stuff customs union etc they would be back trying to re negotiate a deal with us at any cost because they will loose loose loose if we put barriers in the way of their trade,,,BUSBY..

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
IF, they, and by that I mean Jap/Euro car makers in the UK, are silly enough, as has been suggested to take the ball away and Sulk!. We will have a lot of nice empty Factories, with lots of nice production lines, (it wont be economic to remove them, it never is, cheaper to rebuild new) to Kick start, a new industrial revolution. Which is MORE than we where left with after 6+years of WW2. The UK had no "Marshal Plan". Germany got the "new" kit. I worked in a UK Aircraft factory that was using Pre war German machines, that was in 1968!. Some even had shrapnel marks from the British and American Bombing!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
IF, they, and by that I mean Jap/Euro car makers in the UK, are silly enough, as has been suggested to take the ball away and Sulk!. We will have a lot of nice empty Factories, with lots of nice production lines, (it wont be economic to remove them, it never is, cheaper to rebuild new) to Kick start, a new industrial revolution. Which is MORE than we where left with after 6+years of WW2. The UK had no "Marshal Plan". Germany got the "new" kit. I worked in a UK Aircraft factory that was using Pre war German machines, that was in 1968!. Some even had shrapnel marks from the British and American Bombing!

We could start a Tesla production line :)

Jan 18, 2018
Old Basing, Basingstoke, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285
Well just to add to the diesel debate.

Yesterday morning I unfortunately had the misfortune to sit behind an 08 Audi diesel car. The fumes from his smoking engine were extremely obvious and immediately caused discomfort. It is because of this type of vehicle that the mood and move against diesel vehicles has changed.

What the answer is, is unclear but I suspect that the un-worldly politicians of the day will make some nonsensical decision to P*** everyone off.

I do not yet own a MH and am still looking for my first one. Because of the sanctions that may be added to older diesel engines down the road, I have to consider a new or nearly new vehicle. So the comments about second hand values for older vehicles maybe have some merit.

What is obvious though is something has to be done to remove polluting vehicles off the roads whether they be diesel or petrol.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best

Yesterday morning I unfortunately had the misfortune to sit behind an 08 Audi diesel car. The fumes from his smoking engine were extremely obvious and immediately caused discomfort. It is because of this type of vehicle that the mood and move against diesel vehicles has changed.

What the answer is, is unclear but I suspect that the un-worldly politicians of the day will make some nonsensical decision to P*** everyone off.

I do not yet own a MH and am still looking for my first one. Because of the sanctions that may be added to older diesel engines down the road, I have to consider a new or nearly new vehicle. So the comments about second hand values for older vehicles maybe have some merit.

What is obvious though is something has to be done to remove polluting vehicles off the roads whether they be diesel or petrol.
Kind of demonstrates that the thinking about motorhomes is changing already

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017

Following a conversation in the pub (yes,I know,I know!) about pollution from shipping,I googled “do ships pollute more than cars”.
Staggering!!!!!!!
And yes,there is the old saying “ lies,damn lies,and statistics”.........there’s another one...no smoke without fire!
It can be turned into a complex debate,but if you want to keep it simple then shipping is clearly a massive pollutant.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Following a conversation in the pub (yes,I know,I know!) about pollution from shipping,I googled “do ships pollute more than cars”.
Staggering!!!!!!!
And yes,there is the old saying “ lies,damn lies,and statistics”.........there’s another one...no smoke without fire!
It can be turned into a complex debate,but if you want to keep it simple then shipping is clearly a massive pollutant.
Absolutely....
As my previous post...

Yes ..and ...how is electricity generated? , the power source behind its production can be equally as polluting....coal fired stations( a lot less now It's true) nuclear power ( opinions vary on the safety ) wood...and wood chips which must be produced and then transported, and often is transported very long distances ...in ships....fuelled by??

I don't know, nor can I imagine what the answer is , but targeting current vehicles is an easy political point scoring excercise, at the expense of the masses who are driven in whatever direction is of use to the politicians.
Caring for the environment is important..but we were told we were doing that when we bought our diesel cars and vans!

Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
Well my purchase of a 1.9td Autocruise Vista of 2001 vintage has been a bargain then. I had to put right all the stuff that I wasn't told about when I bought it and now I won't be able to go anywhere now it all works.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Euro 6 is so clean already that Euro 7 is facing the law of diminishing returns. Euro 8? EVs would be a better solution.

Much of the small particle pollution that cars emit comes from their brake pads. You still get that with EVs. Diesels use vastly less fuel and emit vastly less CO2 than petrol engines - and overall particulate levels are comparable with petrol in Euro 6. More than half of new cars sold across Europe are still diesel. If you want to improve the environment significantly then the future is better and more public transport - not personal vehicles of any sort.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Did not see this posted at all. Why not convert engine to run LPG 59p a litre surely that's the future for us. Cook off the engine as well! :LOL: Son has just converted his Range Rover to LPG and noticeable difference in performance. Happy wandering:)

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Did not see this posted at all. Why not convert engine to run LPG 59p a litre surely that's the future for us. Cook off the engine as well! :LOL: Son has just converted his Range Rover to LPG and noticeable difference in performance. Happy wandering:)
Is it a clean method? More so than petrol of diesel?

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I hear the sales of gipsy Caravans and horses are going up
Horse manure £4 a bucket from our local Gypsies round this way and that's if you can catch it before it drops. Bring back the old style Milky with his horse, cart and nosebag. I bet there's a few on here who do remember that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back